Server time: 2017-08-18, 19:55

Sign in to follow this  
MrNine

Behavior of the People

MrNine    3

So I want to talk about the behavior of the People on this server.

Its already 2 years since the outbreak and some people still behave like its only 1 month since the outbreak...

- Some act like they never seen a Zombie before

- Looking like if they would be the special special special special SPEZNAS NATO Army force even tho their background story says they were

only a Farmer/.../...

- Only provide Gear RP (cry much when they die)

- Dont know whats small talk (only know "Hi" "put your hands up or i shoot cyka")

- get triggered by every little thing ...

This once happened to me:

- i had literally no Gear, just my pistol and my clothes, when suddenly 3 People came around they just highered their weapons and screamed at me "hands up or we shoot", then they tied me up, took my pistol, my food and Jacket without saying anything... it was so awkward, they just stood there, took my things, said nothing and then they ran away ?

What are your experiences ?

or

Why are people like this ?

Should every Newcomer get a Godfather/mentor for the beginning ?

-snip-

Yes it happened to me sometimes, people on the server started to forget that they are in a zombie apocalype and that the world is basicly dead.

Its getting weird sometimes when some members act like they were staying in their houses for two years and when they see something dead they freak out.

My experience, well, it happened yesterday, i was on the coast, and i had a Fal, and four people stopped me and told me to put my weapon on the ground if not they will shoot, not to much rp from them, so i put it on the ground took a step back, and then they seemed to fight over it, so i took my sawed off shotgun from my backpack and killed all four of them.It was pretty sad that they didn't really give any robbing rp, so i solved it the old fashioned way.I wouldeve given them the gun, if they wouldeve actually did good robbing rp, so i couldeve enjoyed it, but it was silent, and awkward, so that's that.Onto the next question.

People are like this because either they are new to this server, and they just wanted to escape the public servers pvp, but they don't really know how to rp on this server, or they are just blantly lazy or tired to do proper and serious rp, which is sad.

On the mentor thing, I actually started doing this, and welcomed most new members to Prometheus, so i can guide them myself, or send them towards the guides, and lore pages, and even telling them something that's possibly not there, and helping them in general, it went very well until now, they listened and they did it properly once they were guided.The problem is with most of normal community members, seasoned or ancient members, is that they had bad experiences with whitenames and they don't want to help any of them anymore, so the community kinda loses a lot of possible good rp-ers.I don't say that all of them are doing this, because i know some still have interest in helping new people, but its sad to see that the numbers of those kind of community members are very very low.Everyone on this server was a whitename, and i think everyone got helped at some point, and if they will say that they were natural at this, they are bullshiting. But that seemed to stop, hopefully in the future more people will start having interest in helping out new members of the community.

No need to complain there has been multiple threads like this, with new players is gonna come rookies, you just gotta deal with it man. Also so what if they are wearing military gear. How does that effect you in a bad way, if anything it give so you more gear.

Dishes    159

There are a great number of threads on this sort of thing already. Some people don't have a lot of experience, so they may not know exactly what to do in certain encounters, but they are learning. However, if people just surround you and provide next to no RP and just GearRP, well, if you feel a rule was broken you are free to write up a report on them. 

Something very important to remember is to not get attached to gear, nor expect everyone to be friendly. Robberies are called just that because they are robbing you of something, taking your food and guns is completely fine even if you don't look all geared up, as long as they provide you with RP. 

Now let's touch up on your examples...

- Some act like they never seen a Zombie before: Some people just like to play that sort of character who is more scared of things and ignorant to the world, or maybe they just need to brush up on the lore. Yes it can lead to not so great RP, but at the same time it gives you some great opportunities. Maybe just don't look at it negatively?

- Looking like if they would be the special special special special SPEZNAS NATO Army force even tho their background story says they were

only a Farmer/.../...: Well if we would like to talk realistically, if there were actually an apocalypse irl, I would be grabbing all the military equipment I could find as well. Just because they are dressed differently should not hinder your ability to RP.

- Only provide Gear RP (cry much when they die): Well first of all, GearRP is against the rules, and it is completely within your right to report it if it ever happens to you. Now saying people "cry much when they die" is a completely different story. I don't think anyone is necessarily "crying" when they die, but perhaps just disappointing or irritated, and it happens. It's annoying when you die in games, but people get over it because it's a game, at least they should. Though whether they do or don't, shouldn't really be anyone's concern because I don't see how it would really affect your RP.

- Dont know whats small talk (only know "Hi" "put your hands up or i shoot cyka"): This comes with inexperience. Yeah, some people are just not as experienced yet, or are just not completely comfortable yet. Many people honestly just don't know what to talk about, are uncomfortable or whatever, and that's alright! As long as they aren't breaking rules, sure it  might not be the best RP experience, but they are learning, we all started somewhere.

- get triggered by every little thing ...: This is just pretty blunt.  As long as they are not bothering you, this again should not be your concern and I just don't really understand why this is even one of your examples.

1. "Some act like they've never seen a zombie before" I'd rather people be afraid of zombie than just almost ignore them, like they dont exist. Our group is from a place with no zombies, so we actually haven't encountered them until very recently, giving us a reason to RP fearing them

2. It's two years in, the people who didn't adapt to the conditions of the time died off. People wear the military clothing because it's warm, has many pockets, and is camouflaged - all realistic reasons to wear that stuff.

3. You complain about people getting mad over gear.. then later in the same post, you get mad over gear. ??????

4. This is a common problem with newer RPers, just give it time or provide a good topic yourself. RP is a two way street.

5. Some people in the apocalypse are crazy or over sensitive/paranoid. It happens, it's the apocalypse. Just don't be edgy and you usually don't get initiated on.

And a pistol is gear, man. I remember back when we were on the coast, we robbed someone that had an AKS-74U when we had one guy with one bullet in his gun and I had a crowbar. We initiated, he didn't comply within a few seconds, I ran up and whacked him with that crowbar for noncompliance. Sure, he might not have had much, but he had more than me, so I robbed him (of course providing good interrogation RP, as per my character) throughout. It sounds like the situation you dealt with is an actual case of gearRP, and you should report it if it was recent.

To answer your question, why are people like this? Inexperience mostly. The report system works in such a way that RPers like you've described either learn from their mistakes or rack up 30 warning points and get banned. Just give it time, set an example in your RP and I'm sure those who want to improve will follow your example.

Glitch    15

I like this thread. Gear RP is not a problem it's just a thing that will come and go with new and experienced players. Other behaviors are important to look at. It is a long time into the Apocalypse and in the origin location of the infection I feel that people should be less friendly to strangers and more cautious, doesn't mean you have to be hostile but be more cautious. Often when I am cautious people ask me if I am okay, yes I am fine I am not crazy I am just being cautious.

And for the most part any character you play should have a decent amount of experience with guns unless there is a unique reason to your character for not knowing how to use a gun or refusing to use one.

I was hit with a baseball bat while high from eating a poisoned apple. Good day for everyone!

Edit: He swung by accident

I got stabbed for telling a friend that another friend was pregnant

Oh wait, its the bad RP experiences...

okay then, I got sprayed down by someones friend trying to kill someone who he thought initiated on his friend, that sucked

Raio Boss    1

I personally tried to be more realistic when I started to play here some days ago.. We are in a post-apocalyptic world and honestly seeing people too often say "oh hello there how's your day today?" is kinda immersion-breaking imho.. so I was used to be a lil bit on edge, aggressive towards strangers, like holding my weapons, and if they came to me suddenly from nowhere even aim it at them, but then they either run around and say stuff like "put your fucking gun down dude" (i'm aiming the gun at you :S) or threaten you and shit even tho you tell them clearly that it's a shitty world and you wanna be sure you can trust them.. and they could simply say their name or whatever and I'd lower the gun and keep rping "friendly" so to say..

but instead, it's most of the time a friendly approach.. and many times it becomes a robbery.. but i personally can't find a "solution" cuz either way you can get screwed xD

I hope i'm on topic with this post ahah

Regarding new players.. well.. getting experience by playing is the best medicine for their initial bad RP imho.

Raptor    153

Lol welcome to DayZRP. You're going to see alot of this and it won't stop anytime soon.

People are new and don't know any better. Plus 4/5 of the people guilty of these things won't even see this thread because they don't go on the forums.. Soooo no much we can do. If it's really bad report them for badRP or gearRP.

Charlie    118

I havnt seen anyone who doesn't know what a zombie is yet. But I do dislike all of the gear RP that happens but eh, we are all guilty for something. When I die I get salty that I have to spend 10-15 minutes running back to the triangle 4 times a day xD

Gremmelkid    0

Hey man.. I am new.. While I can understand your pain, I do have to say give me a while to get back into RPing in a game. I've done it several times, but I don't do it actively and it's been awhile.

Yeah, you have to give some of the newcomers a break. Not everyone who is in this community has experience rping.

I understand your points though, as this happens to everyone.

If you feel that you were wronged, then make a report man.

Love Nectar    38

Never ran in to anyone who did not know what a zombie is, if they did not i would call that fail RP but what you seems to be complaining about here proimarily is bad roleplayers. I myself was timid at first and was shy towards RP when i joined the server , it takes time to get to grips with the roleplay. You probably just ran in to some new players , i really think you are blowing this out of proportion.

Listen, there are some people that are just talented as fuck and can RP their ass off from the get go. This is a small minority. Most people, myself included are very Mediore to poor when it came to role play. Looking back on my first Dayzrp video I was pitiful. But I got better over time. I was lucky enough to surround myself with good people and we all fed off each other. If people are truly here to RP, they will get better. Those who aren't tend to leave quickly or get banned.

Razareth    213

-snip-

I'd like to add my two cents on the points your raised your in statement.

I've not really experience this yet, but I have seen the "Infected" be called so many different names. I have also seen people take a stands that we shouldn't be killing them as they are still "Human".

I feel this is personal preference and acquires just that you adept to the persons style of RP.

- Looking like if they would be the special special special special SPEZNAS NATO Army force even tho their background story says they were only a Farmer/.../...

Dishes put this the best. I've found myself countless times scream at my TV screen when in for instance "The Walking Dead" people leave or not even consider checking the Military equipment. I mean we suppose to be defending ourselves against a "Horde". So rather be prepared then be dead. Of course there are people that after two years try to go back to their normal lives and become the farmer or doctor or whatever they were before "Day Zero".

Again I think this is just a case of letting people find their own groove before settling in to their persona.

I think this is a "Evil" we will just have to live with. As their is not really must else to be done about it.

- Dont know whats small talk (only know "Hi" "put your hands up or i shoot cyka")

I suck at small talk. It has always been my weakness in real life and even in DayZRP where I can hide behind a "Digital Mask" I still get shy talking to people.

I don't really have a solution to this, otherwise I wouldn't suck at small talk :D.

I think this is unfortunately related to our "Current" real world environment. People project what they see in the Media and on the Internet in DayZRP and hopefully this will fade away at some stage.

Me personally have experience what I believe is the full spectrum of DayZRP when it comes to Player Immersion.

Yes some have left me with bad tastes in my mouth, but some have made me very excited to be apart of the Community.

Not really sure myself.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but to implement it will take so much resources. Be a Mentor in-game when you meet someone that looks like they are lacking. That is all we can do at this point.

Raptor    153

Like some other people said, these are primarly newer players. I tend to give these people the benefit of the doubt and hope that they will learn in the future. I would even reach out to them and help them OOC if I could.

Nihoolious    1102

So I want to talk about the behavior of the People on this server.

Its already 2 years since the outbreak and some people still behave like its only 1 month since the outbreak...

only a Farmer/.../...

-Yeah that has always bothered me too. Two years and you have had that little contact with the infected? People say their character wasn't exposed to them really because they were in hiding or something but I never entirely buy those stories

-You could say they chose that clothing for camouflage, storage or that it was all they had at the time to wear. At the same time, if someone behaves like they did before the outbreak I don't see them drastically changing their appearance.

-GearRP and being salty after death are different things.

-Not everyone is going to start a conversation with some random dude they see on the street ya know

-Yeah getting triggered sucks

This once happened to me:

- i had literally no Gear, just my pistol and my clothes, when suddenly 3 People came around they just highered their weapons and screamed at me "hands up or we shoot", then they tied me up, took my pistol, my food and Jacket without saying anything... it was so awkward, they just stood there, took my things, said nothing and then they ran away ?

That is a textbook example of what not to do. Next time someone does that to you, try and get their names or video evidence to either make a report or seek them out OOC to try and talk the situation out.

or

I used to see a lot of different types of people on here. Now with the player drought it has become more stagnant and those that are different (in a good or bad way) stand out more. Typically people behave this way because they are inexperienced, don't have a guide or just don't give a fuck. A mentor system would be amazing as has been suggested and talked about a lot in recent months. Might be implemented soon if we are lucky.

All you can do is be the example that you want followed.

Josh962    0

Listen,  there are some people that are just talented as fuck and can RP their ass off from the get go. This is a small minority.   Most people, myself included are very Mediore to poor when it came to role play.   Looking back on my first Dayzrp video I was pitiful.   But I got better over time.   I was lucky enough to surround myself with good people and we all fed off each other.  If people are truly here to RP, they will get better.   Those who aren't tend to leave quickly or get banned.

exactly my thoughts im recently new to the RP community and kinda struggle a little bit at times and definitely know my RP needs to be improved but i try to improve my self through the encounters i have with people and learn from them,rookie people will sometimes have poor or bad RP but hopefully these players like me will learn from these things through gaining experience in game itself.

Listen,  there are some people that are just talented as fuck and can RP their ass off from the get go. This is a small minority.   Most people, myself included are very Mediore to poor when it came to role play.   Looking back on my first Dayzrp video I was pitiful.   But I got better over time.   I was lucky enough to surround myself with good people and we all fed off each other.  If people are truly here to RP, they will get better.   Those who aren't tend to leave quickly or get banned.

This.  There seems to be some weird expectation from some people that new members of the community should roleplay like they just spent a decade in the Royal Shakespeare Company.  There are a lot of unwritten rules and potential faux pas in this community.  I have no problem with people learning by trial and error.  :)

Give people a chance, let them grow as roleplayers!

Charlie    118

Everyone was a white name once. I am one in disguise but as time goes on they are able to develop their own personal way of RPing and the diversity makes role playing far more unpredictable and fun in my experiance. It's like learning to ride a bike. The best way to learn is to fall off and get up and try again!

That said I must admit I sometimes am a little harsh on some. But eh we all have our moments.

RogueSolace    272

I honestly have to wonder how much of this is the RP above all mentality. I was reading the persons post who got banned for asking a question. I get the immersion and the want to be inc all the time.

In my 14 years LARPing and some combo tabletop rp this is what I've learned.

Communication is obviously essential. But I honestly feel this system can keep issues going, especially for noobs like me to it. I could be wrong with below, please tell me if I am.

Okay, so when I get home, I have an hour and have to go to bed. Full time job, long commute, health issues. So say I've got 10 min and have to log. I'm a actually really curious about the response to this too. So 10 min and Im looking for somewhere to plant myself for the night and not become zombie kibble. Suddenly I hear: "hands up or I'll shoot!" I comply. Said person has a mod they want to run with me, that's going to take time. Time that I don't have, and from my understanding I cant just type ((hey Im sorry but medical reasons I have to go to bed.)). I have to respond via rp and the only thing I can think of is making my ch pass out and log. Well other player thinks thats not cool, and with no explanation to know otherwise, files a report for bad rp. Then I get banned. For something that maybe would have taken 5 seconds to clear up ooc.

My first rp with anyone my mic wasnt working and I did not realize it. Said player was nice enough to quickly point it out. I tried to fix it and failed. So I had to ((mic broken, have to type.)) he said no problem and we continued to have a fun rp of making a friend, given a city tour and taught some history. Our few ooc clear ups did nothing to hinder our rp.

This is also a huge deal to people new to rp.

New person: *I turn on the lights of this abandoned house*

((Hun, you realize electricity and water have been off for a year right?))

((Oh yeah))

*flips switch, nothing happens.* "I always think that one day thats going to work again."

Noob does something dumb, its pointed out and fixed, rp continues.

Like I said, I get the immersion, but even with rules people get confused. I don't understand the concept of punishing for it. Now if they're having a full blown ooc chat, then okay, thats different.

I'm not expecting to change anything, but with the inability to pm each other in game and HAVE to rely on teamspeak, to me it just makes no sense.

Anyways there is my two cents