Server time: 2017-10-17, 18:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Para

The DayZRP Map

Para    300

(This topic is mainly for discussion at this stage so I'd like to hear what the community thinks).

So, I looked at the map that is available on the forums and was thinking to myself that a lot of the areas pinpointed aren't exactly... needed and some of them aren't really relevant to the majority of the community. Consequently i'm kinda getting the feeling this is cluttering the map quite a lot.

So, to elaborate so you understand what I mean.

gpkEddA.png

To start with this one. My first instinct when I read this is just "whaaaaaaat...?" I don't really see how this sort of marker adds anything at all. Cannibals roam everywhere and this just... you get the idea.

UqVC0wp.png

UcLT0rY.png

So with ones like these, I get the feeling these aren't really needed. They're a personal thing related to one character. In my opinion it is fine to have these sort of markers if a group existed there for a while and it is very well known (as shown through many markers such as the Crows Nest, Camp Hope etc.) However with these, it's a very, very small scale marker that I feel just clutters the map.

I guess my overall opinion on this is that if you have a group established somewhere for a while and it is well known that said group runs there, then fine add a marker. But otherwise I'm not a big fan of people having 'personal' markers relevant to their characters. We have hundreds of characters that have existed here and proportionally groups are far fewer.

Thoughts?

Castiel    1124

I agree with you. "Sighted cannibals" I can understand to an extent, it's kind of a warning. But personal homes and such I don't understand why you would want it to be public knowledge for every single person who comes across this "map".

Cipher    0

yeah, there needs to be some sort of system implemented to make sure the map isn't cluttered with things that aren't really relevant. your suggestion sounds fine to me, but there does need to be something done, even if it's not this

You haven't seen clutter hell till you've seen Black Fox's day 1 izurvive map *shudders*

That aside i agree there needs to be some de-cluttering of the dayzrp map, and maybe a bit of a stricter hand on what gets allowed to be marked. I believe the marks are looked over by a moderator before being publicly placed on the map, so perhaps just have them use a bit more discretion.

Keira    1446

I agree, the map needs some de-cluttering and maybe some restrictions as to what classifies as a server relevant marker versus personal marker. You can always make your own map and markers at izurvive or something if you need a personal map with locations.

Randle    927

Meh I don't even look at the map so I could care less. Yes it may be 'useless' but does it hurt anyone? It's a bit of text on a screen.

Rolle    2931

The map needs to be filled up with locations, if it's empty and only has those "important" locations then it's not gonna look very attractive and there's no point in using it since people already know those location. The point of it is to find new, less known places.

Para    300

The map needs to be filled up with locations, if it's empty and only has those "important" locations then it's not gonna look very attractive and there's no point in using it since people already know those location. The point of it is to find new, less known places.

I think the map looks messy and bad with a lot of locations relevant to one person only... I don't think it looks attractive at all.

Bran    0

I agree. Since the map is supposed to be used as IC information I could see why some people would like to put some warnings on the map.

I think there should be an option to add markers on the map and have them delete themselves after being on there for a certain amount of days. This will allow people to give warnings on the map as to whats dangerous in the area and not have the map be super cluttered in the long run

Rolle    2931

I think the map looks messy and bad with a lot of locations relevant to one person only... I don't think it looks attractive at all.

Then we shall agree to disagree :) I don't think there are any locations that are relevant to one person only. Every single location gives some kind of IC information to your character. The only difference is whether it is useful to you or not.

Love Nectar    38

I think rolle is right but also agree that some of the locations need to be cleaned up, i completely back what rolle said about keeping the map full of locations not just the well known ones to help smaller groups get themselves out there to the rest of the server and to mark important locations where iconic lore events happened. that being said i also think that some markers like the "Sighted cannibals" are not needed and do not really add anything to the map as they may confuse new players.

Noxious    136

+1

There needs to be a standard of which you can post on it. Personally I think just group territory stuff. Most of the stuff like "Cannibals Sighted" should go on the Radio Chatter.

Rolle    2931

Map looks a lot different without a lot of the markers. Change of heart?

No, someone just broke it so not all markers loaded successfully. Will fix soon.

Raptor    173

Yeah after all, the map is an IC thing thats meant to be seen on something like a bulletin board while you're in game. Adding pointless markers does clutter the map. Also ask yourself this before you add a marker: Would your character mark that down on a public map for all to see?

+1

There needs to be a standard of which you can post on it. Personally I think just group territory stuff. Most of the stuff like "Cannibals Sighted" should go on the Radio Chatter.

Not if it's to be taken seriously, or you're going to get a flood of keyboard warrior trolls for any post.

Survivor: "Warning to fellow survivors, cannibals sighted in Generic Town, steer clear."

Reply 1: "Oh yes we cannibals are edgy and will eat you blah blah fear us"

Reply 2: "My character has lived for several years in DayZRP because I never like killing characters off so I'll say some dark brooding comment made entirely of fortune cookie lines".

Reply 3: *two vague lines of dialogue surrounded by a paragraph's worth of emotes because he/she doesn't understand that it's a radio, not Skype, we can't see what you're doing*

Reply 4: *"noob" "whitename" actually replies like a survivor of the zombie apocalypse that just heard another human over the radio*

Reply 5: "HEY WE CANNIBALS AREN'T DONE BEING CREEPY YET"

Reply 6: *obligatory recruiting sales pitch for new hero group, thinly disguised to avoid being removed by mods*

Reply 7: "I have a very long and complicated backstory and I'm going to try to work the entire thing into my reply that quickly goes massively off topic"

Reply 8: *offer of assistance*

Vice    0

I think this should be something the LM's or Admins handle. It's not a good idea to let just anyone edit this, if it's gonna be available to all.

Its not like i had a similar thread about it a week ago, but ok fine, and yes of course i agree the map is...well....too much..

As it was said on this thread and mines, either delete most of them that are completly irellevant, or filter them.

Raio Boss    1

let faction, groups, or anything official have their place on the map imho, and if you don't wanna keep it for official groups only, they still gotta be groups or anyways places that can be considered relevant.. and yeah, the staff should take care of it and not any member of the community. Maybe some moderators can take the job and people would send them a map with the marked zone and their group name or the reason why they want it marked.