Server time: 2017-08-16, 17:41

Sign in to follow this  

New Life Rule for Dummies: Comprehensive Breakdown of the Most Important Rule in RP

The New Life Rule. Just about every single roleplay server, no matter the game being played, has a New Life Rule. This rule sometimes varies in slight ways from server to server, but it's essence does not stray too far from a singular meaning. 'When you die, you forget your memories and start a new life.'

Here at DayZRP, we employ a Partial New Life Rule. Meaning we allow players who die to remember friends, groups, and  enemies amoung some other things instead of being forced to forget everything. 

Let's take a look at the rule:

9bd01ec618.png

Now, for NLR to take affect, one thing has have had to happen. You died. An event of any sort has caused your death. Whether by the hand of another player, the environment, or, sadly by a glitch (as the event is not specific and all-encompassing) you are bound to follow the NLR rule. 

This means simply that anything leading up to and/or causing your death must be forgotten. You cannot return to the area for the time allotted, nor can you return to whatever situation was transpiring. Not a roleplay session, not a firefight, and not even a hostage situation, even if the hostages are moved to a new location. No, unfortunately that situation is over for you because of NLR. Sometimes it sucks but to avoid a rule break, you should just move right on. 

Now, of course our great staff team enjoy roleplay above all else. If you seek permission from the people involved, or witnessed the event, along with a staff member GM or higher, in the spirit of fair play and roleplay, NLR could possibly be forgiven to finish out that 'oh so important situation'. But, seek that permission from a GM or higher first, because noone is above the rules.

I hope this litte discussion has shed some light on the Rule of NLR. Happy Roleplaying everyone!

nor can you return to whatever situation was transpiring.

Well this is not true as there is no mention of this in the rules.

Now I know you're not supposed to, but I think you should just ask the people you're RP'ing with if it's okay to come back. I don't think you should have to go to a GM and ask if it's okay. Because the only people being affected by the NLR rule if it's broken is the other party you're RPing with.

Btw I don't think this is the most important rule in RP xD

Don't get me wrong it's a VERY important rule.

I think it's Roleplay over rule play. Because no one wants to miss out on RP because they died to a handcuff glitch, because NLR says otherwise. People just want to Roleplay, and use common sence about letting someone who died from a glitch come back and enjoy the RP with the permission of the other parties.

But like I said it's all about permission which most people get from dying to a glitch.

Just my thought *shrug*

Yes there is. Its written plain as day, and I quote:

When you die you lose memories surrounding the event that led to your death

Nihoolious    1090

But the rule doesn't mention not returning to a hostage situation that has moved out of the area of death. I mean, like you said, the staff team value roleplay over rule play. That's probably why they allow people to return to a role play scenario after death if there is mutual permission and it is outside of the NLR death area.

You may think otherwise, but you are trying to explain a rule that isn't there.

So how those this disallow you to join the same situan? It only states you can not remember the events leading to your death.

But the rule doesn't mention not returning to a hostage situation that has moved out of the area of death. I mean, like you said, the staff team value roleplay over rule play. That's probably why they allow people to return to a role play scenario after death if there is mutual permission and it is outside of the NLR death area.

If you die in game, are you or are you not bound by NLR?

The answer can only be yes. Because you died.

But what if you get permission like Nihoolious states?

I feel like you're saying even if you got permission, you still would not remember how you got their, or anything of the sort. I think you should just forget the moment of your death.

So how those this disallow you to join the same situan? It only states you can not remember the events leading to your death.

Are you serious? 'SURROUNDING THE EVENT' that led to your death, memories are lost. You lose the memory. That would include but not limited to the situation. ...

If you get permission to log out before the 30 minute timer, are you not technically breaking Combat Logging? Of course, but noone has yet to be punished for it.

Just because a punishment doesnt go out doesn't mean a rule break didnt happen.

Are you serious? 'SURROUNDING THE EVENT' that led to your death, memories are lost. You lose the memory. That would include but not limited to the situation. ...

If you get permission to log out before the 30 minute timer, are you not technically breaking Combat Logging? Of course, but noone has yet to be punished for it.

There is a difference between remembring the situation and joining the situation. I can join it without remembering the events prior to my death.

So TLDR nowhere in the rules does it say you can not join the previous situation that lead to your death.

So you want to punish people for getting permission to come back after dying from a glitch? Or to log out from a firefight because you have work tomorrow ect.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. We don't need to follow the rules like there the Ten Commandments.

If you get permission to do something, than no one should be punished because nothing bad happened. Seems like a useless ban to me if you ban someone for something like that IMO.

So you want to punish people for getting permission to come back after dying from a glitch? Or to log out from a firefight because you have work tomorrow ect.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. We don't need to follow the rules like there the Ten Commandments.

If you get permission to do something, than no one should be punished because nothing bad happened. Seems like a useless ban to me if you ban someone for something like that IMO.

I didnt say that. I said it was a rule break. People break rules everyday and dont get punished even if they do happen to get reported. I just want to point out its a rule break. Nothing more.

There is a difference between remembring the situation and joining the situation. I can join it without remembering the events prior to my death.

So TLDR nowhere in the rules does it say you can not join the previous situation that lead to your death.

Ill remember that and quote it next time someone reenters a firefight. Its not in the rules so its okay to go back and continue the situation.

Ark    198

I'm going to close this. Thumper next time you wanna make a thread about a controversial topic, pick something more respectful for a title than a dummy guide.

/Closed

I didnt say that. I said it was a rule break. People break rules everyday and dont get punished even if they do happen to get reported. I just want to point out its a rule break. Nothing more.

Oookayy... So the point of this thread was to say, that even when you get permission to do something, you're breaking the rules? Well I guess you're right, but is something going to change? Because if you take away the permission to do things like log out or come back after dying from a battle eye kick in cuffs, you're gonna have people get pissed off.

It's common sense Thumper. The rules are flexible for a reason. Some people want to log out because their tired and should be allowed to ask for permission(whether they get it or not). It doesn't matter if it's a rule break.

Rolle    2440

The rules are there to prevent abusive behavior and mindless PvP, not to punish because you had good intentions, got permission from the other party and wanted to continue RP. The rule breaks and reports will continue to be judged by the staff team on case to case basis, just like they always have been.