Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  

IC Base RP

I don't know for sure if people did this in the past, or if some are doing it right now. But yesterday with my group we had some problems to get in-game(some of us at least).I had this ideea in my head and the others liked it so we set up in the TS IC channel an imaginary place ic(our base) and did an old fashioned voice rp(with ooc emotes) and it went extraordinary.

Felt like a D&D boardgame, just without the rolls and gamemaster. What im trying to say is that if you find an "undeground base" or someplace that is not in the game but in real life could work, like Arma 3 DayZ has, sewers, bunkers, junkyards, places like that so you and your group could call it a home, you could use this kind of rp, when lets say some of your members want to rp, but they don't feel like getting in game just yet.

You start by choosing a location in your OOC channel, everyone agrees, and then you put your "actors" in different positions in the room, agree on how the rp scenery will start and then move in the IC channel, and start talking as your character.

Your emotes will be stated as such: "OOC I stand up from my chair and look at Bryan when he enters". "OOC I look at the new people with a rough expression on my face."

Then you go IC Voice: "Bryan, finally i wanted you to be here for this."

As i said this goes all in the teamspeak channel and not in the actual game.

In my opinion i think this adds diversity to the rp, and lets you develop in small doses your character and relationships with others, in case of some of them can't get in game just yet, because of problems with their PC, or they don't really feel like to get in game at that moment but want to do some roleplay, or they are multi tasking, like writing their homework and rp at the same time, or eat and rp at the same time, etc.

Im really curious of your opinions on it!

baskorthuis    10

Really interesting idea. 

I agree with you that it adds diversity to the rp. It would also strenghten the friendships between the characters in a group.

+1 for this idea :)

MrBlairdom    12

Well, considering how the 'safe zone' idea got so many negative votes for not being 'realistic', from my point of view, this is just something that people should not necessarily do. Why? Well, easy. What is this imaginary safe zone that the group is using? Where is it? How is it that it exists and yet the rest of the world cannot find it, breach it, throw a grenade inside and wreck it.

It's basically the same thing. Why would we have a safe place protected by imaginary rules? Why would we have a 'safe zone' for our own group where no one can touch us, no one can find us. If you're in the game, I can find you and interact with you in some way or another. If you're not in the game, you should not be able to 'be in the game'.

Making up imaginary spots could just as easily extend to making up imaginary laws.

That's my two cents about it. Thing is, people can still do this regardless of what others comment upon it, but I just feel it's not fair to have a made-up 'base' but no made-up laws that should enforce protection.

-snip-

Im going to give you a simple example with "imaginary places" in this community that are and work in posts.The Radio chatter thread, were people emote things before, in between, and after they push the PTT, and most of the times is "Staying in my house on the bed drinking, while hearing the radio", therefore that is a place that maybe or maybe does not exist as an actual place in the game.Being an imaginary place with a text rp based roleplay made on the community forums, which is not in fact the game. Making your point of "If you're not in the game, you should not be able to 'be in the game'." absolutly hilarious. The thing about the base is, that i would do it in game, if there will be such places in Standalone, but they are not...yet.

And for a 10-15 minutes of internal rp on the TS chat, its the equivalent of 10-15 of radio chatter threads.You are not in game but you do roleplay. I really don't see whats actually bothering you with this. 

On a final note, if someone out of the group that knows of that imaginary place, can be asked if he/she wants to join aswell for that small period of time roleplaying out of the game, and as you put it he/she can "breach it, throw a grenade inside and wreck it." making quite an interesting turn of events, offering the characters ic development ;).

MrBlairdom    12

Like I said, it was just an opinion and people can still do it. Radio Chatter, from my point of view, is something totally different. Of course people need to be somewhere (staying in my house etc.) for them to be able to...exist and answer the radio. But it's something that relies heavily on 'conversation'. You cannot do anything else but talk.

It does not bother me at all, you just took it too hard or something. An 'IC base' seems just a bit more than just some radio chatter. It's a...base :) in an imaginary spot. Those houses people use to talk to the radio from, actually exist. That is what I was trying to say. Being somewhere underground is actually making up a place in Chernarus that in-game doesn't exist.

Just to make sure you don't get aggressive on me again - everybody can do it, I was just saying it seems a bit too imaginary to me.

-snip-

Sorry if you think that i was aggressive towords you, i didn't mean it, i was proving my point with a bit of sarcasm and irony.

You misunderstood me a bit, its based on the radio chatter principles, i put the "underground base" there as a little joke and a refference to the still on working Standalone in the picture of the DayZ mod from Arma 3, where underground bases, underground railroads, sewers, junkyards exist, being cool places for bases, we do actually have an existing base, where we did that, but as most of our members yesterday had problems both with the game and irl issues, we did it by teamspeak, which proved to be quite an awesome experience for a new kind of rp in case of problems like that.

I shouldeve explained myself better, therefore i am sorry again i didn't mean to be edgy, and im sorry i didn't explain myself better :)

MrBlairdom    12

Don't worry, dude, I'm perfectly fine, I just didn't want you to think that the idea bothered me in some way. It's obviously doable, as everyone is entitled to their own type of RP, specially in groups. Can be useful if someone does have issues getting into the game, but one needs to remain mindful of the things that are going on inside that 'base' :)

To be honest, it's good people are coming up with new ideas for others to try out. It's just that not everybody will see them as doable and it's perfectly fine.