Server time: 2017-08-24, 03:15

Sign in to follow this  
Skinner

Advice to all groups: Communication

Skinner    440

I know there are a thousand threads about walkie talkies, this is not about them. This is purely about my experience in the UN. It was short-lived, but after speaking with the group members there are a number of positive things we took from the experience. Above all others, we absolutely enjoyed using in-game walkie talkie's instead of relying on TS. I strongly encourage all existing groups to seriously consider using in-game walkie talkie's at LEAST as a short trial. 

First of all, no they are not perfect. The main thing I hear opponents say is that the range is too short. It's not, we easily split our patrols up and stayed in communication from Stary Sobor to Camp Hope, and Kabanino to Novy church. The range is impressive, you just can't be insanely far away. Also sometimes they would bug out (always transmitting even when you turn the radio off) which was a little annoying. However, the benefits of using in-game radios far outweighed these minor annoyances.  It was incredibly immersive and everyone had a much more fun experience in-game when we reflected on it. 

Instead of just logging into the server and joining TS like:

"Sup I just logged in, where is everybody at?" 

it was:

"Captain Kolinsi, this is Lieutenant Ripley reporting for duty. What is your position? Over." 

Instead of:

"OH SHIT there's some people in Stary getting initiated on. I think it's the clowns, they have someone... looks like a female player model."

it was:

"UH STANDBY STANDBY! I have... three people in Stary Sobor that appear to be taking someone hostage. They appear to be wearing clown masks! It looks like they are taking a woman somewhere. What should we do?!"

It's MUCH more enjoyable to communicate this way. I can not recommend it highly enough. Obviously join the TS anyway as an alternative if the radio bugs out or if you need to say something OOC. In addition, other players found it enjoyable to walk along side one of us and hear our commanders barking orders into the radio, which was really cool. Yes, we were at a disadvantage if others were to overhear our orders or if we got into a firefight and we were shouting to each other, but we all agreed to take that risk and I only wish we could have had one big shootout before the UN came to an end.

So there you have it, my ringing endorsement of in-game radios. If you've had any experience positive or negative, or have your own take on it, I'd love to hear it.

Raptor    159

IC always trumps OOC when it comes to communication IMO. Thanks for bringing this up Matt! +1

William    401

This is just amazing tbh, especially in a military style group.

Great post

Vorobye    34

+1. I remember the pure stress I got from trying to listen to the cancer comms of previous groups I was in, while attempting to give priority to the RP.

I feel like using IG radios would prevent a lot of that, on top of increasing immersion and overall internal RP.

Dishes    159

Yeah it's always great to stay IC as much as possible. I was in a group before with very strict comms in TS where we basically just used it as IC radio, when we would talk on it we would talk in game at the same time.

+1. Will try this as a test-run with Black Fox.

Keira    1058

+1 I like this as well. Definitely makes IC communication more immersive over TS/Radio.

Imo, I think everyone in the ts channel would need to give this level of RP for it to work

As soon as one person breaks it, the whole thing would break. Kind of like a chain

Cid    333

Back in the days of the Unnamed it was how we ran our TS comms since at the time in-game radios were complete ass. I think people could really appreciate the level of immersion by trying something similar. Can't wait for more radio stuff to be added in game.