Server time: 2017-10-20, 14:20
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Lil_Beefy

Bad Staff Feedback

Lil_Beefy    0

Why is that people leave feedback for the staff team that doesn't actually have anything constructive within their post?

It's just unnecessary back patting for the sake of doing it. I am just starting to think people do it for attention from the staff team in attempts of 'befriending' them to heighten their chances of getting into staff.

People should read the OP and understand that the back pats don't mean a thing. Much better options would be leaving them BeanZ or sending a PM instead of posting shit and cluttering the thread.

Thoughts?

Mental    0

I did mention this on the feedback thread once upon a time, beanz to whoever can find it.

I do agree though, saying thank you for help is fine but sometimes we need to hear what we're doing bad on and how to improve.

Melvin    84

I am not fussed. Sometimes, staff members require some encouragement as well, and pat-on-the-back staff feedbacks are constructive in the way that it reminds the staff member that he is doing well and spur him on. In excess, nah, but once in a while, sure.

Lil_Beefy    0

Bad feedback = 30 points IMO

It's time to stop the back patting.

I am not fussed. Sometimes, staff members require some encouragement as well, and pat-on-the-back staff feedbacks are constructive in the way that it reminds the staff member that he is doing well and spur him on. In excess, nah, but once in a while, sure.

Then why not just leave the person some BeanZ or a PM thanking them instead of flooding the thread with the same "thanks for doing your job" posts?

Even then, some of these recent posts are just irrelevant all together.

Terra    1449

I think both is needed - Encouragement and critism.

My experience is that too much "you done goofed" - "you are a shit GM/Admin" or whatever can discourage a lot of Staff members. Only patting on the back is also not a great thing as it can cause that someone looses the ability to reflect the own work/behaviour.

Feedback given that tells you what you do good and what you can improve on, is what I like.

Lil_Beefy    0

I think both is needed - Encouragement and critism.

My experience is that too much "you done goofed" - "you are a shit GM/Admin" or whatever can discourage a lot of Staff members. Only patting on the back is also not a great thing as it can cause that someone looses the ability to reflect the own work/behaviour.

Feedback given that tells you what you do good and what you can improve on, is what I like.

I agree on having constructive criticism.

I often left feedback in the staff forums that pointed out both strengths and weaknesses. It's a good thing to do, however that's not what the posts are about recently.

Now it's just a simple, "we spoke one, you're pretty cool". How the hell does that help anyone?

Connvexus    36

I agree, feedback shouldn't just be the positive.

I imagine people with high salt levels leaving bad feedback just to spite. Like if a report doesn't go there way or a friend gets banned. They'll just shovel the negative feedback just to get back at them.

+1 tho

Lil_Beefy    0

I agree, feedback shouldn't just be the positive.

I imagine people with high salt levels leaving bad feedback just to spite. Like if a report doesn't go there way or a friend gets banned. They'll just shovel the negative feedback just to get back at them.

+1 tho

In the case of salty people posting feedback after a report or ban appeal going against them or their friends, then it is just as irrelevant as long as the situation they're venting about was handled properly.

If people bring up solid points, then the feedback is warranted.

"Thanks for being my friend" isn't feedback, especially for a staff team.

Terra    1449

I mean, what is the goal of the feedback? That can be different for everyone.

One maybe posts feedback because he does not like the person, one maybe just for attention or maybe to embarrasses someone. One maybe posts just to say "thank you" for the help he got. Seen it all.

Thats why I agree that feedback should point out what the person could improve on and not only what a person maybe does not good.

For me it is a matter of wording. I can tell someone what he does good and what he need to improve on without being a complete dick.

The feedback should be, at least in my opinion, encouraging someone to change - may it be behaviour or the work in itself (reports for example) - and it should only be Staff-work related and be free of personal opinions about the person.

Some feedback, negative or positive, sometimes I simply cannot take serious - People, obviously friends which each other, posting "you are great" after the person maybe got criticised by someone else.

Or people post negative feedback after they maybe got points or a ban and they dont agree with - not having in mind that no decision (ban, points etc) is made alone.

Only picking on the team and bashing them for not agreeing what they do, is also not good btw.

GaryCash    33

Why is that people leave feedback for the staff team that doesn't actually have anything constructive within their post?

It's just unnecessary back patting for the sake of doing it. I am just starting to think people do it for attention from the staff team in attempts of 'befriending' them to heighten their chances of getting into staff.

People should read the OP and understand that the back pats don't mean a thing. Much better options would be leaving them BeanZ or sending a PM instead of posting shit and cluttering the thread.

Thoughts?

WE'VE BEEN COMPROMISED!!!!

lol in all seriousness though, i understand why the thread shouldn't be cluttered with 'thanks's' but at the same time, a trend of thank you's to a particular staff member could possibly show a certain level of performance when interacting with the community, or at least that their gestures and works as staff are respected and appreciated by the people they help -- indicating that they are likely good for the staff team

That being said I am not quite sure what you could get people to stop doing this besides maybe putting next to 'Staff Feedback,' as the title for the thread some thing like 'Staff Feedback [READ OPENING POST]' or something of the sort like [Read OP before posting]  -- with a thread as serious as staff feed back a strategy like this may work

Rick    19

The public staff feedback thread was always a hit or miss, the staff one was always weighed much more.

Positive feedback is nice, however the thread really always has been more of a "thank you" thread then constructive criticism. While encouragement is nice, at the end of the day it really doesn't help anybody improve. There are PM's and other things like BeanZ to show appreciation. You don't need to post on the thread every time a CH does their job in the helpdesk. 

I've always been of a mindset that negative feedback is what helps people the best. When I gave criticism, I always tried to point out flaws, even minute ones, as opposed to just listing staff members telling them they're all amazing. Even saying something as small as "you could be a little more wordy in your verdicts, as sometimes they can be a tad vague", is much more helpful then "You're really helpful in teamspeak!" 

Personally, I would make the thread negative feedback only; The private feedback thread can be used to tell staff members what they're doing right / a good job at.  I think it would help remove some members apprehension of posting negative feedback in fear of leaving a bad impression on staff, and by default, weed out unnecessary posts without having to go into the debate of "how do we moderate these types of comments?"

Stagsview    625

Never agreed with "Pat on the Back" mentality here in DayzRP. The only way people can improve is from constructive criticism. While it is good and motivating to get positive feedback from people at times a simple thank you on the ts is more than enough for any staff member doing their work. If the rules on the staff thread were actually followed then things would be more different. However, should we warn or punish people for saying thank you publicly for some services that were provided? How can we censor it as it? That is my main concern and question for this issue is how we can stop people from doing it.

Mental    0

question for this issue is how we can stop people from doing it.

c94c84406ab4faf98ae42ceec805e6cd.png

I think a good start would be to enforce what it said in the OP.

Terra    1449

To criticize can be very much encourageing. To criticize does not mean bashing Staff. Matter of wording.

AndreyQ    0

I see people dropping "Thank you to X" in the Staff Feedback Thread and made me wonder where is the feedback. Positive feedback is not wrong if done correctly. If you say that you liked this and that then it helps me understand what I did correctly, whereas if you just type a thank you then I will have no clue on what I did right and I'll have to guess. Not to mention that a lot of those people already thank that staff member in TS after they dealt with their specific problem.

But I have also seen negative feedback that was purely nonconstructive. I have seen it in the past when people use the "negative" feedback as a way to say "You suck at your job" without giving any sort of directions as to how to improve or what is wrong in the first place. Some of those just seem like personal jabs if anything, but clearly not intended as feedback that can be taken into consideration.

I know that the community doesn't like specific things about staff, there is no denying in that, reason why the feedback thread exists. You can say what you don't like, how you would like us to operate certain situations etc. in a mature manner and we can discuss about it and improve not only our abilities as staff members but the actual connection between the staff team and the community.

It should really just be the home for constructive criticism in my opinion. If you want to thank someone for doing something maybe message them privately or give them beanz or something. That thread should be for feedback, not appraisals.

Thumper    0

All feedback is good Feedback, right?

No. Saying thank you for holding my hand in TS is not feedback at all. Its thanking them for doing their job.

What happened to the days rhst feedback had to include the code, the code specifically put in for feedback? 

I believe its required and that the majority of 'shout outs to individuals' are against the policy.

Wendsill    0

What I am most concerned with is not that, bar a few exceptions, the staffteam does not acknowledge any feedback which does not involve sucking up or a pat on the back for moving them from the Helpdeks to Room 1.

That tells me the reflective capabilities, bar those exceptions again, are non existent within the staff team and that maybe the staffteam should be tought how to handle with critism.

Also not responding to critism has a side effect, the next time that critism is given, the wording will be sharper and more blunt, maybe they will give an answer now?

So in short, learn the staffteam how to handle critism, make a response obligatory, as somebody spent time on it and wants to staffteam to improve on it. That way you might be seen more human as well.

And who knows, if you improve on your actions, the next critism is only a pat on the back, cause there is nothing to improve on.

DickSlide    250

What I am most concerned with is not that, bar a few exceptions, the staffteam does not acknowledge any feedback which does not involve sucking up or a pat on the back for moving them from the Helpdeks to Room 1.

I think you are wrong here. The feedback I got from Dora I took to heart. I have had people come to me about either them getting points issued by me and express there concerns on the staff team in private. Why? I don't know. When people leave staff members feedback that is a "pat on the back" it helps them be a better staff member.

Another example. When the community criticized Olivs messed up verdicts or him messing up a report he took to heart no matter how much the community has poked at him to get a reaction. That shaped Oliv into what I see as a better staff member.

Faith    731

It's more likely boosting staff morale and at least acknowledging it and sharing it with others so they don't get complaints as they do things behind the scenes. I'm not all that fussed on this but it does help imo to stop:

PRS/GMs/Admins don't do this - complaints.

Maybe i'm trying to be more optimistic on things but I hope this gives a bit of a better outlook on things.:)

Sofie    0

I have already commented on the topic but I will quote myself for the sake of discussion.

" There are two types of feedback people give. You have the type that doesn't really tell you how to improve and is just written to judge or compliment individuals. Then you have the type that is written with suggestions and honesty. I admire those who take their time to write proper feedback so the staff team knows what is wrong and right. Feedback is supposed to motivate and be used as a tool to make staff more effective and professional. So what type of feedback actually accomplish these goals? Rolle has already said in the Staff Feedback OP that doing simple +1 and pats on the backs is not wanted in the thread. We should not express love or hatred, even if they can be motivating sometimes, they do not help to make the staff team more effective and professional. It’s really not that difficult. When training a puppy, you should only feed it when it does exactly what you were hoping to see. Constantly giving it treats without making sure it knows exactly what it did right will only confuse it. Positive feedback has to describe what the staff member did correct, but also point out where there is room for improvement. "

I agree that sometimes I have a feeling that criticising feedback is not taken into consideration. I am not sure how much the feedback staff members gets are discussed privately, but I expect staff to reply to those who have given feedback and explain themselves so the rest of us know that it has been thought trough. By the looks of it now for a simple community member like me, it’s almost like some criticising feedback is getting ignored. I know that staff is in no way obligated to make anything they do official, but if you want our trust and respect, please don’t hold things away from us.

Diamond    0

I'm Seems like more of a brown nosing thread tbh. I have done a back pat post too, I guess some people feel bad about shitting on staff. As long as it's constructive I don't think it matters, you can give good feedback and thank staff as well. If they do a goodjob might as well tell them, but a hey you're awesome for some dumb reason is not really nedded.