Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 09:21 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Fanatic

Gasmasks

Having been forced to run in a gasmask for many miles over a few days, I'll say that realistically,nah....m8 you will die. They are impossible to breath through unless you are slow and steady.

For game purposes...not a big deal.

Calling Oyface to give his POV and using masks when slaughtering the herds.

In all honesty, I think wearing gas masks is quite silly for the most part. As stated before, they are incredibly hard to see out of, they are tight, sweaty, and 90 percent of the time they have very little use. Really anyone who wears a full face covering helmet 24/7 is going for fashion. If you're going into a city, then yeah put your mask on to avoid biter guts, but when you leave take it off.

That's just my opinion.

Calling Oyface to give his POV and using masks when slaughtering the herds.

In all honesty, I think wearing gas masks is quite silly for the most part. As stated before, they are incredibly hard to see out of, they are tight, sweaty, and 90 percent of the time they have very little use. Really anyone who wears a full face covering helmet 24/7 is going for fashion. If you're going into a city, then yeah put your mask on to avoid biter guts, but when you leave take it off.

That's just my opinion.

Too busy eating salami and watching sitcoms, will post POV tomorrow.

Nah but for real though, if you have an actual reason to wear a mask then go for it. If you're wearing it just for the sake of having a mask, I think it's a bit silly. Seems some people try to fill out every inventory slot sometimes, with no actual RP reasons behind it. I carried welding masks for a long time, but I only wore them whenever I was chainsawing zombies. Trust me, you don't want that shit on your face .. :P

The mask used IG protect you from nothing cept contact, the filters would be over what 3 years old? Lucky if they last 5 mins.

People have their superstitions, some people will believe that their gas mask will help them survive, keep them protected from bad omens.

I'll always make fun of someone if they have a gasmask and claim its to "prevent being infected" when they've been exposed for over two years. The gasmask that only covers the face also looks like shit. If you are going to include a gasmask in your rp, the reasoning should make sense and if you really want to go the extra mile alter your voice in someway. Use a voice changer or simply talking through a cup works most of the time.

My character wears a gas mask as well:

1. the character face is just fucking stupid - I very much dislike it

2. I usually roam solely so, in my character's mind, it helps him with his intimidation technique

3. I usually take it off when in a group of friendlies. I only put it on when we go back on the road

4. Being mostly solo, no one would actually know for how long I've been having it on

5. Bandanas look way too wild, wild west for me and it makes me feel like a bandit, and I am no such thing

6. Balaclavas make me feel like a terrorist - most people I saw wearing these, were playing Russian characters, aggressive, of course, and I simply do not like to be part of that type of group

7. A gas mask seems to be the most reasonable option for me - it just makes my guy look like an urban scavenger

Some people just think it makes them look spooky :) and it fits a mysterious character look.

Blood splatter, infected areas, infected dump sites. All good reasons, the older gas-mask models are pretty uncomfortable and you tend to sweat a lot in them, but if you have a more modern one like the U.S. military's M-40, it isn't as bad. I think a lot of people fail to realize that not all survivors would be immune to the infection, blood splatter across an open wound or your eyes could infect you. Further-more, from what I have read, a majority if not all of the military bases, once the game is complete, is going to be an infected area, which will require a gas mask, or a full protective hazmat suit. It's kind of hard to do something unique or change up the RP with a different character/backstory when everyone says it's 'edgy'.

Unpopular opinion, as it seems most will disagree with you but...

image.gif

And no i don't personaly use gasmasks, but he is right, completly right.

Edit:Actually im going to use a gasmask, just because i know i can make it work, yeah sure i won't wear it 24/7, but i think there are some cases where they can be pretty damn usefull in rp!

PS:i checked on the webs, some gasmasks can protect you from airborn influeced viruses, but just some. Oh and i think if you get blood of an infected in your mouth, or spit at you while gargling like a murloc above your body, that could infect you, but this is just an asumption.

I think wearing a gasmask has no use in the game or in roleplay yet. First of all, its bloody hot wearing a big gas mask on your face all the time. Secondly it would be really hard to breathe. For me gasmasks are a no go until the contaminated areas make their way in the game.

I don't do it so much now, but i used to ALWAYS wear a gas mask. When someone asked me why I would just ask them "Have you ever hit a zombie with an ax?" It would protect from splatter far better than a bandanna or balaclava which would just get soaked.

The other reason I have is an IC event, in which i got shot in the head. Got shot and after a few minutes I woke up, low blood, but i wasn't bleeding, and the only thing ruined was my gasmask. So i roleplayed out that the filter caught the bullet and saved my life.

A form of cosplay? cuz Some people feel like they look like elephants with them

I don't do it so much now, but i used to ALWAYS wear a gas mask. When someone asked me why I would just ask them "Have you ever hit a zombie with an ax?" It would protect from splatter far better than a bandanna or balaclava which would just get soaked.

The other reason I have is an IC event, in which i got shot in the head. Got shot and after a few minutes I woke up, low blood, but i wasn't bleeding, and the only thing ruined was my gasmask. So i roleplayed out that the filter caught the bullet and saved my life.

Seems like a legit reason. However most people don't have that reasoning. They will just wear it to look cool or mysterious.

Welp. I use ta' be a frequenter of the masks of the gas protecting variety, so here we go. 

First and foremost, game mechanics.

According to the DayZ wiki, as well as testing by myself for the hell of it, the gasmask has these stats for protection.

Insulation: 0.8 (Not really that important.)

Bleed: 30% (Catch a round to the head, there is a high chance you won't bleed from it if accompanied by other things.)

Biological: 100 (The big stat!)

What his means is that say your friend...In this case we will call the person Wallis Childs. Say Wallis Childs catches Cholera and decides to still go around and meet people. Well, Cholera can be caught by simply being near someone affected by it, and more often than not, it spreads rather quick and rapidly because by the time you get the first status message, you have already had it for a while. Now while the hordes of people are having their britches turn brown, you luckily wore a gasmask for whatever reason. Well, now you get to walk along with these people, treat them and the likes, all the while never catching that dreaded disease...Unless you remove your mask. Then you are doomed.

Secondly, gore and all that stuff. Look to the past posts in this thread for more explanation on that.

Thirdly, one could use it to hide themselves, be that their identity, or simply to shield themselves from reality. It could work as a form of detachment, a coping mechanism. Hell, maybe they replaced the lenses with kaleidoscope lenses and use it as a form of entertainment. 

Fourthly, it is intimidating. Nuff said. 

Fiftly, swag.

Sixthly,

2dbdc5255769e2ae4202c54fb26d2159.jpg

I could go on, but the main reason is, fuck it, why not?

I simply like the look, and not catching cholera as a bunch of people around me drop to the floor with it.

Thanks Wallie.

Oh, and seventhly.

061.JPG

Paint is for painting, not inhaling. Wear a mask when you do the arts on walls.

-snipe-

Don't know how ignorant the DayZ devs were/are when they developed the disease mechanics, but Cholera is water-borne, not airborne. So if you're trying to avoid cholera from game mechanics, that's one thing, but if you tell my character IC that you're wearing a gas mask to avoid cholera, he's probably going to laugh at you for a while.

Why do people wear them, you think? 

Personally, I think they would be a rather terrible thing to wear around. I own a Polish MP-4 gasmask (practically a spitting image of the IG one, with different color, I think.) and even after a couple minutes of actual vigorous work, it gets unbearable. And let's not forget, the lenses seem to always be smudged, stained,or fogged, at least for me.

But then again, I suppose gas masks are some people's fetish. Hey, I ain't gonna judge.

I wear a gasmask because my character is hyper-edgy and everyone knows that aside from the Wolf mask, Gasmasks are the edgiest headpieces in the game. He HAS to wear one, he just HAS TO!!!

In seriousness though, I believe people have a lot of different and varying reasons as to why their character wears a gasmask. Here is a list of why I choose to wear one:

- My character has to keep his face covered as he has incredibly obvious and distinguishable scars on his face that he needs to hide for the sake of anonymity.

- He knows the physychological effect they have on people when he crosses paths with them. People affiliate face-coverings with banditry, and people are naturally unsettled when they cannot see a persons face. He hopes this will make people think twice about trying anything with him.

- I first put one on when I joined my first group, which was a hostile group. Eventually it become a sort of trademark for him to wear that particular mask. People expected him to be wearing one.

- On an OOC level, I think they look pretty slick with my characters primary getup, and I'm all about that fashion RP.

- Finally, and in all seriousness, they ARE edgy and I enjoy having my character looking edgy as fuck. Not ashamed at all ;)

Considering I'm probably one of the few people here that have actually had to go through gas mask and MOP training, I can tell you that it fucking sucks to wear a gas mask, even modern ones, for more then 30 minutes. Its hot, sweaty, no one can hear a damn thing your saying because of the mask. Combine that with wearing any sort of hazmat suit or MOP gear and really you want nothing more then to get the fuck out of the stuff as it makes things even more hot and sweaty.

I make fun of people who wear gas masks in game and tell them how dumb they are for wearing it because they have no idea how shitty they are in real life.

My character carries one just incase, but I never put it on. I may one day have a good reason to do so. IRL Gasmasks are terrible to wear, unless you need it for it's actual function.

Gas masks are terrible to wear for more than an hour and even less time when you actually come in contact with gas. Please don't be that guy who consistently wears one.

I mean it is rather simple....I think people that wear them aren't really thinking about the long term 'comfort' aspect of it. They are more concerned with the RP aspect of their character thinking it some how helps, or may simply enjoy the aesthetics. I personally think aesthetically they look pretty darn cool...that doesn't change the fact they are in no way practical.

This is my gas mask, there are many like it but this one is mine. My gas mask is my life. Without my gas mask I am nothing, without me my gas mask is nothing.