Server time: 2017-10-18, 18:44
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Fanatic

Gasmasks

Fanatic    0

Why do people wear them, you think? 

Personally, I think they would be a rather terrible thing to wear around. I own a Polish MP-4 gasmask (practically a spitting image of the IG one, with different color, I think.) and even after a couple minutes of actual vigorous work, it gets unbearable. And let's not forget, the lenses seem to always be smudged, stained,or fogged, at least for me.

But then again, I suppose gas masks are some people's fetish. Hey, I ain't gonna judge.

Castiel    1124

Probably the same reasons so many people wear face masks, either to cover up scarring or because of how bland DayZ SA's character models are. I've never quite understood why people would choose to wear a gas mask for such extended periods of time myself, considering the reasons you stated. But, it is what it is.

Raptor    173

I ask this question IC to people all the time and I get response like, "I don't want to catch any airborne pathogens" or "I just want to cover my face."

1. I'm pretty sure gas masks don't prevent you from contracting airborne pathogens.

2. Cover your face with a bandanna or balaclava like a normal person.

3. If you're wearing a gas mask, that shit would be so hard to breath in for long periods of time, and your character's head will be all sweaty and nasty when you eventually take it off.

But if you want to wear a gas mask, by all means be my guest, just don't expect people to take it seriously.

I played a child character that was convinced that wearing a gas mask would prevent him from getting "the disease". I'm assuming other people are like that?

Fanatic    0

Addition; If I was to wear a gasmask, it would no way be a mask with an internal filter like the one in game. Those terrify me. Only reason I bought that MP-4 was cos it was cheap.

Xero3451    0

Probably the same reasons so many people wear face masks, either to cover up scarring or because of how bland DayZ SA's character models are. I've never quite understood why people would choose to wear a gas mask for such extended periods of time myself, considering the reasons you stated. But, it is what it is.

How else am I supposed to be really edgy and speak like I have throat cancer whilst scarring the same shit into everyone I meet ever?  C'mon duud.

ex-game master charlie approved.

Doc Phlox    24

I mean, they make you look cool/edgy. What more reason do you need? :)

But there is a definite lack of logic in it, they are so enclosed and hot. If you need to hide your face do what real criminals do, bandanas, ski-mask/balaclava.

DickSlide    250

Pretty much this. People wear them for the "cool Echo affect" like they don't do that in real life my dudes.

Zero    452

Blood splatter, infected areas, infected dump sites. All good reasons, the older gas-mask models are pretty uncomfortable and you tend to sweat a lot in them, but if you have a more modern one like the U.S. military's M-40, it isn't as bad. I think a lot of people fail to realize that not all survivors would be immune to the infection, blood splatter across an open wound or your eyes could infect you. Further-more, from what I have read, a majority if not all of the military bases, once the game is complete, is going to be an infected area, which will require a gas mask, or a full protective hazmat suit. It's kind of hard to do something unique or change up the RP with a different character/backstory when everyone says it's 'edgy'.

Dishes    159

I actually own a gas mask irl which is almost the exact same one that's in game (not the white one). A couple of my characters actually wear gas masks and for one of them, I usually wear the gas mask irl too to distort my voice. It gets kinda hot and itchy, just generally uncomfortable after a little while but its not too horrible. I'd imagine if it were real life, and your adrenaline is rushing while you are in a situation with zombies or bandits, you wouldn't even really notice it.

SpaceCowboy    229

I personally have my character wear a gas mask for in character reasons. My characters gas mask has great sentimental value to him and he feels it protects his identity and a large scar he has. I don't change my voice but thankfully with my mic it reverbs enough that it can sound like I'm in a gas mask.

It's personal preference, how you roleplay your character and if it makes rp sense.

WilliAM    431

I agree with you, it would be very annoying to wear those GP5 gasmasks on a regular basis.

In my old group, those masks were our "Signature look", but only when we would take people hostage and preform our "medical" experiments

Hellspawnceri    531

My character has been known to wear a gas mask now and again. Mainly to hide his facial scars or to be recognised by certain members of our group. I'd mainly wear a balaclava before I turned to hostile role-play, then I started wearing the gas mask because people would freak out if they saw someone wearing one.

Then again I am one of those edgy psychos that some people want to avoid. So sometimes I like to make it obvious.

Skinner    499

For whatever reason they have, basically. I'm sure there are a few people who just wear them for no particular reason, but the vast majority of people who wear a gas mask in game probably have a reason to.

My character for example, as explained in my lore posts, suffered terrible burns and lung damage due to smoke inhalation a few months before the outbreak started. As a result, his lungs don't intake enough oxygen so he wears a mask that basically allows him to breath air that is twice as rich in oxygen than normal. If he removes the mask (which is something he would never voluntarily do) then he he will quickly suffer the effects of Hypoxia, shortness of breath, dizziness, lips turning blue, etc. So basically I wear the gas mask as a prop for whatever I want it to be, which is exactly how I use the vitamin bottle (Oxycontin, sleeping pills, allergy medicine, penicillin, blood thinners, laxative) or sheets of paper (notes to/from a loved one, doctors orders, a news article, a military report, psychotic ramblings from a killer written in blood) or anything else in the game. There are plenty of items in the game, make them whatever you want them to be if they help the RP.

Other people wear them because they looks cool and that want to be scary/creepy/edgy banditos, which doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as their RP is good.

Skeetsi    0

Every time I come across a person wearing a gasmask, I always ask why the fuck is he wearing that. There's no logic in it. Usually the answer is I don't want to get infected.

Occasionally wore a gasmask during my service and I must say at summer heat it's unbearable to run with it.

Coreena    93

I see people often going on about how it's unrealistic to wear a gas-mask all of the time, but we can also go on and on about how it's unrealistic for people have five radios on them... how it's unrealistic to recover from wounds so quickly... how it's unrealistic that people can describe someone to their friends while in front of this person, and they will never know it's happening. 

There are a lot of inconsistencies within a game-based role-play community. Sometimes we just have to sit on our hands and understand that some shit is just fucking stupid, but there's always gonna be unrealistic stuff happening.

Honestly, a lot of the people who wear gasmasks just wear it to fit their character... Without having custom character models, people need their "look".

Uriki    0

I'll answer your question with a question, Why does it matter if people do ?

Randle    928

I mean... Yeah, it doesn't make really a lot of sense, but at the end of the day, who cares. If someone wants to be edgy and wear a gas mask, let em.

I get the realism argument, but I think gas masks are one of those 'Flavour/Fun vs. Realism' things - yeah it'd be unbearably sweaty and might not even have any practical purpose - but it's one of the few things people can do to customise their character.

It's something I personally can suspend my disbelief in for a more enjoyable RP experience, if I got too hung up on it it'd just bug me - and for what, the RP is not going to suddenly become more enjoyable because people are more deliberate with their gas mask usage.

Hollows    450

I only wore a gasmask, or even had one on me when I RP'ed green smoke grenades to be like Mustard Gas for torture / execution RP. That way I can stand in front of the condemned person and breathe obnoxiously aloud to tease them because they can't breathe or see and I can. Also, so I don't choke myself out from the gas when I use it, too.

But I ditched my gasmask after the last gas fiasco like 2 months ago because I'd, like, never use the mask for anything and it just took up space.

SatansNightOut    105

Seriously? Out of all these replies, only one person has any true logic other than "ew, it'd be sweaty and uncomfortable"?

Dude, who gives a shit if you're sweaty and uncomfortable. I'd be more concerned about getting spatter in my mouth, eyes and such. Even if I was immune to the INFECTION itself, there are bound to be other dangerous pathogens or illnesses borne from the Infected blood and gore... Let alone the taste of sick blood in your mouth or nose, or the burn of BLOOD ITSELF being in your eyeballs.

Sure, people wearing gas-masks for fashion value is ridiculous, but there are most CERTAINLY reasons for wearing one. A fucking piece of cloth over your mouth isn't going to soak up all that gore. There are definitely variables and pros and cons but what other piece of equipment would you wear for facial protection? Besides, I'd rather have a piece of rubber between me and a punch to the face, honestly.

Fanatic    0

It really doesn't. Just posing a question.

I get the realism argument, but I think gas masks are one of those 'Flavour/Fun vs. Realism' things - yeah it'd be unbearably sweaty and might not even have any practical purpose - but it's one of the few things people can do to customise their character.

It's something I personally can suspend my disbelief in for a more enjoyable RP experience, if I got too hung up on it it'd just bug me - and for what, the RP is not going to suddenly become more enjoyable because people are more deliberate with their gas mask usage.

I'm not really saying it will, just stating my opinion on the matter,seeking out your guy's.

Seriously? Out of all these replies, only one person has any true logic other than "ew, it'd be sweaty and uncomfortable"?

Dude, who gives a shit if you're sweaty and uncomfortable. I'd be more concerned about getting spatter in my mouth, eyes and such. Even if I was immune to the INFECTION itself, there are bound to be other dangerous pathogens or illnesses borne from the Infected blood and gore... Let alone the taste of sick blood in your mouth or nose, or the burn of BLOOD ITSELF being in your eyeballs.

Sure, people wearing gas-masks for fashion value is ridiculous, but there are most CERTAINLY reasons for wearing one. A fucking piece of cloth over your mouth isn't going to soak up all that gore. There are definitely variables and pros and cons but what other piece of equipment would you wear for facial protection? Besides, I'd rather have a piece of rubber between me and a punch to the face, honestly.

Jeez man, no need to get saltier than the dead freaking sea, dude. Just postulation, and my honest opinion.

And they both bring up valid points, don't think I'm slamming one more than the other.

Sure, it's the only thing that can really prevent blood/gore and the like from getting into your mouth (We have glasses, so th eyes don't too much count.), but those circumstances are somewhat rare;as far as real life goes, I think that the benefits are outweighed by the disadvantages. 

I wore my mask airsofting, and that was just running around for a minute or two, and I must emphsize that it was a SHORT time, didn't have anything more than a (REALLY) lightweight rifle, a plate carrier that had no plates, and some camo clothes- a set of old army issue BDU pants and a BDU shirt. Jesus, I could barely see my rifle well enough to shoot the thing, couldn't really see anything that didn't move beyond like... A couple feet.