Server time: 2017-10-24, 09:26
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Is it really?

Thumper    0

Hah! Click bait title for the win. 

Lets talk about a growing 'trend' in DayZRP called lovingly as GEARRP.

A lot of people, I have witnessed, call all robberies gearrp. Recently initiated on someone, he complied and immediately went OOC //nice gearrp. Of course he was given about an hour of hostage/hostile afterward.

As an old school bandit myself, I'm hoping this thread will attempt to further roleplay for the victims of bandits. 

I'm going to say that 99.9% of all robberies are concerning gear. When I am a new spawn, I enjoy the act of gearing up. But, sometimes, once I find a gun and ammo, I'm on the hunt for someone better geared than me. Yes, I am robbing you for no reason other than your gear, and that is okay. I, and many other bandits will provide for you an entertaining experience. 

Gearrp is the act of robbing without roleplay of any kind. Lets not confuse the two. Gearrp will consist of an initiation, them sorting through you gear with little conversation, and usually telling their victim to 'run that way'. This would be gearrp. But, if the bandit provides at least some decent roleplay, regardless of length....is it really? I SAY NO.

Cipher    0

Well, like you've stated, it's not GearRP if you provide good roleplay. I think everyone that gets salty over people robbing for gear should realize that this isn't Club Penguin or Second Life and not everyone in the apocalypse is a member of the Red Cross. If someone has something better than I do, chances are I want it, and chances are I'll take him/her for no other reason besides that.

"You're only robbing me for my gear!" Definition of Robbing: take property unlawfully from (a person or place) by force or threat of force. That's literally the definition of a robbery. I want your shit, therefore I take your shit. I'm not going to hold you up because of some BS reason such as "oh you talked bad to my mate" or something, nah fam, I wanted your SVD and that's it.

But yeah if someone doesn't provide any RP and just takes your shit in a two minute period then there's something wrong with that.

Billy    0

-snip-

Like you said it's only gear rp if they barely say anything, but if the roleplay is good then who cares about losing gear honestly. Some of the better rp I've received in this community is from getting robbed. People need to stop getting salty about things that can be replaced in 30 minutes.

Mexi    1313

I think a lot of people are forgetting that we are over 2 years into the infection.. Shit like weapons, ammo and food would be scarce therefore it makes sense for people to rob you purely for what decent things they can see.

Of course them robbing you for said items should be followed with good RP.

Dusty    1598

The amount of salt reports made by people (invalidly) crying gear RP is pretty humorous. Especially the ones where the people who made the report died because they didn't comply to the original initiation, so they didn't even live to see the RP afterwards in the first place. If you get 10 second robbed, sure, that's a legit report. If you died and didn't see the RP or if you lived and received a decent amount of RP, then shut up with your crybaby attitude. The number one rule of DayZ is don't get attached to your shit as it can and probably will be deleted/wiped by either a bug or a new patch.

Some people, including the people complaining about their camps/tents/barrels being found, need to get over it and understand that the world is not a nice place, and that they will be taken advantage of. In a game where we act as if the world has ended and infected people are eating each other, the danger is multiplied tenfold.

Jetwells    0

I agree completely, I think the main problem is, some people join this community for the no KOS and see it as an easy loot experience. When they get a good gun or ammo, they are mortified that it's their first real gun or good gear in game and then get upset your taking it. If you go //OOC gear RP to me, which has happened before. I usually leave my victims with everything, but you complain about your bag, or your gun, or anything then I'm stripping you clean. I'd go as far as saying the people who complain about that bag, or m4 or vest are gear RP in themselves, and I'd probably say it's them that is producing the bad RP. I still think the loot system needs improving, and then hopefully this gear RP will die off. I can understand some people frustration. but, it's part of the game and community. You live and learn and deal with it, as a character.

I think too many people get stuck thinking its a personal attack against them and not their character.

Cipher    0

I usually leave my victims with everything, but you complain about your bag, or your gun, or anything then I'm stripping you clean. I'd go as far as saying the people who complain about that bag, or m4 or vest are gear RP in themselves, and I'd probably say it's them that is producing the bad RP. 

mhm mhm

Like a gun is being pointed at someone's head and the first thing they think about is "don't take my smersh" or "dont take my UMP" makes my blood boil tbh, that should be BadRP in itself

Bran    0

The majority of the community at this moment thinks that GearRP immediately means BadRP.

For me, GearRP is categorized into two categories. Gold GearRP and Bronze GearRP.

So, lets say that Jimmy has the best gear. Hunting Backpacks, Smersh vests, Fully Kitted M4's the lot. Now lets say he sees an item that he wants and he walks up to someone. He walks straight up to them while bandit shuffling and asking mediocre questions such as "Have you got any friends in the area?". After a few minutes of small talk, he initiates and moves the man to a more secure location. He has the man handcuffed and is searching through his gear. The man who is in cuffs (lets call him Alan) tries to converse and further the RP. He then replies with "Shut up or I will shoot you". After he is done, he knocks the man out and unhand cuffs him, running away with his loot that he wanted from the start. This in my eyes would be regarded as Bronze GearRP as he has little to no RP with Alan and stunted any RP that could have happen by telling him to shut up.

Now, lets say Jimmy is a new spawn and finds a sawed-off and a few slugs. He sees Alan in Dolina and he converses with him. On the way to Polana, Jimmy asks Alan some questions about who he knows, what groups he knows of and what he is doing in the area. Alan then says that he is delivering food to Stary for a few people so they can eat. This peaks Jimmies interests as he has just spawned and needs food. Halfway down the road, Jimmy drops the initiation and drags Alan to the nearest barn or forest. Jimmy handcuffs Alan and then starts interrogating him asking him who the food is for and going more in depth as to who the food is for, who is in the group and where they mainly operate. After he gets the information he wants, he maybe does a little bit more torturing and then takes a few cans of food off Alan. He then gives the group a message to the group, unhand cuffs him and is on his way. This in my eyes is a Gold GearRP as he was engaging in roleplay throughout the whole initiation and kept things light and flowing just as any initiation should be.

Both of the scenario's were initiations in which Jimmy wanted to get a certain item from Alan. Its just the way in which its done. I think we need to teach people that GearRP isn't bad but its just certain forms of GearRP that can be frowned upon.

Cow    0

Something most of us had to learn very quickly is that gear is not permanent and people must get used to being robbed, getting killed and losing their holy grail of gear combinations.

Something I can suggest is that if you ever experience such a person who's gear is so finely tuned he has a telepathic link with it and it pains him to remove his Smersh Vest and SVD, find him and have a calm word with him to make sure he knows where he is.

Melvin    84

I remember when these group of bandits went to fuck up a small settlement and there was a brief stir as people bitched about why and its would go to such an area if not only for gear and looking for a firefight.

The salt pouring out of how their little haven got disturbed was incredulous. It was almost as if it wasn't supposed to happen in an post-apocalpytic setting with no rules

Dishes    159

Yeah you're completely correct. I mean, the whole point of "robbing" someone is to take their stuff in the first place, of course it's about gear! The difference between a robbery and GearRP though is the fact that they are RPing with you and not standing around you like vultures and saying nothing.

Frosty    0

I think most people get pissed that their gear gets taken. It's called a robbery. What do you thinks gonna happen. You're gonna lose some of your stuff. As long as you provide decent RP I don't care if I get robbed. It's not gear RP... It's a robbery, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Goryan    7

-Snip-

Wait, have I been robbed by you before?  By your scale someone has delivered Gold level to me.  Well actually a lot of em are at least close to gold.

DickSlide    250

Did someone say GearRP?

But in all seriousness people get to attached to their gear. When I first joined the community I got a lot of gear thanks to my friend Bruce. We found a land mine and decided to place it and see what happens as they were just added. We both blew up and I was salty as all hell. He told me never to get attached to my gear. So when people report me or my group mates over Gear and all that I laugh as its just a game bro. Nothing you can do about them salty gear reports.

Bran    0

-Snip-

Wait, have I been robbed by you before?  By your scale someone has delivered Gold level to me.  Well actually a lot of em are at least close to gold.

I have been on DayZRP for about 4 months now and only robbed someone about twice. Don't think I have robbed you sorry

AndreyQ    0

A lot of new people found the server because they wanted a no KoS DayZ experience. That is how I personally found it and I have no shame in admitting that. A lot of those new people don't have yet the roleplay mindset of things. They still have the public mentality that focuses on gear and the only thing that will make it go away is simply by roleplaying more and more and by doing so they will realise at one point that losing gear shouldn't be something to be mad about and if anything is something that would add tp the story, develop your character and give you something to do that being either revenge or looting.

So is robbing for someone's gear considered GearRP? Nah.

What is considered GearRP is robbing someone and then leave without engaging into a serious and solid roleplay scenario.

So at the end of the day is it fair for people to call you a GearRPer just because you choose to roleplay hostilely? No, it is not. However, the occurring trend hasn't been around for one month but actually ever since I've joined the community. That is because new people will always join the community and no matter how much they read the rules, the majorly will have a different mentality than the rest of us that played here for so long.

Therefore, I think this "problem" has no fix. It is unlikely that this thread will help as not too many newcomers are active on the forums, but regardless if I am called a GearRPer or not I will still provide the best RP possible and try to entertain my lovely victim.

Raptor    190

9/10 times i've been robbed for gear, there has been some pretty decent roleplay behind it. Coldwater (didn't even take much), Akrasia (great RP), Svetney or whatever they were called had some great RP and still took ALL my shit. Robbing people for gear isn't GearRP unless the RP is unenjoyable, which people get salty cause they're losing their gear. Makes me laugh sometimes.

Nihoolious    1252

What is considered GearRP is robbing someone and then leave without engaging into a serious and solid roleplay scenario.

/thread

Not sure why but people, veteran and new, seem to enjoy throwing the term around when they don't enjoy an encounter. 

This is the way I see it. As long as someone doesn't initiate, take gear and leave, its not GearRP. Initiating with the intention to take items in a robbery is not GearRP. Neither is rummaging through your pockets when you are hostage. 

Saying someone or a group are GearRPers is a bold accusation and one I personally take seriously when it is thrown my way. I'd appreciate it if you only used the term when it actually applies in the future.

Keedz    0

People need to understand the diffrence between a valid roleplayed robbery and actual "gearrp" , not because you lost your beautifull hunting backpack and all the winchester rounds you have been stacking for weeks means its gearrp , it is NOT as long as decent roleplay was provided.

i myself have had encounters with people constantly bitching about it , they call it ic'ly gearrp before i even have the chance to roleplay anything out ex "yeah i know why you doing this just take my shit and get over with it" its a quote from an actual dude i robbed 6 days ago I SHIT YOU NOT

you cant just bitch about your gear without providing anyhostage rp and then go to the forums and cry about it.

I mean this is an apocalypse ffs ofc people will rob you for your stuff , hell its the definition of a robbery , if it was actually in a reallife outbreak considre yourself lucky that you didnt die.

Chris    63

Good points brought up in here, people throw the terms "gearRP" and "failRP" around a little too quickly.

(You gotta stop with the clickbait thread titles tho fam, it misdirects attention from the topic at hand :) )

Doc Phlox    24

I kind of looked at it like this, the things bandits take from you is the payment for the RP ;). Unless the RP is crap of course. These two guys robbed me once, took my arm without permission, gave just all-around meh RP. And I was all cool to let them take my gun, and most of my clothing, but they took my damn Aviators, and that made me upset. I am all for paying the piper, but sometimes.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah I see no problem with people robbing for gear, aren't we going for realism here, robberies would be the norm, most likely without any interaction whatsoever, so if someone is giving a good amount of time over to a robbery, then yeah, take what you want from me.

Of course this is just my opinion

Rampage    0

A lot of the recent verdicts I have done have been about gear RP. I said it in one of my verdicts and I will say it here.

We play a survival game that requires gear in order to survive. Robbing someone for gear, especially rare sought after gear, is acceptable as long as good role play is involved during the entire event.

Id also like to add that everyone thinks that robberies have to be 45 minute drawn out RP sessions. This is also untrue. I would rather have a 5-10 minute kick ass role play robbery than a 45 minute robbery with someone telling me how badass they are, threatening to eat my toes.

Part of you is always going to be upset to a point when you have that dank fully kitted M4 taken away. Its a basic human emotion. However, as long as RP is given these are not rule breaks.

People will always complain about their gear being stolen from them, and as i said on two other threads already, if you don't want your gear to be stolen then don't have "precious" gear on you.

GearRp like everyone else said, is if you rob someone in one or two minutes, not providing any kind of actual good rp.

I got robbed on plenty ocassions when i first landed here, yes on the two minutes without any rp provided robbery i got salty, but on the other ocassions i actually enjoyed it because of those people that actually took their time to make it look realistic and i completly enjoyed it. Even if i lost a gun or some ammo or a piece of clothing, it was fine because i enjoyed it, even gaved some beanz to the robbers afterwards.

Those people that say that oocly, are completly irrelevant, i really can't wrap my head around it, i mean if the group of people that robbed you gave you some good rp, why are you complaining, its not like you won't find that kind of stuff again sooner or later, they should be gratefull that they are not on the public servers where people shoot you dead and then loot you.

People need to stop being salty about gear, its fine, it happened to all of us ;).

reesesaddict    28

Too many times I will be robbed then they will run away. I was once robbed by the Savages. I was just told "put your hands up." I complied, then they went ahead and permascarred me even though I was complying, then I was threatened to be beheaded although I had been complying the entire time. Not complaining, just pointing out a situation.

House    4

I remember my first time of getting robbed. I was terrified but the RP of the robbers mellowed me out pretty fast, it was smooth and fun. Lasted about half an hour. They took everything. I moved on, thinking about the encounter and how cool it was.

I also rememeber my worst time getting robbed. It lasted about 5 minutes, they spoke some words to me necessary for me to comply and they were off. I was dissapointed, they robbed me of everything with nonexisting RP. Most of my session went on with shitty attitude cause it just ruins it. Time waisting experience.

Both of these times they took all my stuff. GearRP? Only the shitty encounter was that and then i was mad about the awkward silence and the few words during the encounter not because of the gear.

If the RP is bad or nonexisting, you gotta report them(with proof of course). Otherwise they're gonna just keep doing it.

If the RP was satisfactory then shut up and move on, it's just stuff (i know it's hard, you probably had some cool stuff).