Server time: 2017-08-18, 23:57

Sign in to follow this  
Kuljukka

I'm an edgy psycho supersoldier cannibal torture expert.

Kuljukka    56

I feel like someone has already made this post but I had to get this out of my system.

So, I've been away for almost 5 months now because of my military service and when I came back for a visit I couldn't help noticing that too many people play as an edgy psycho.

This may be exaggerated but I feel like for every 1 good guy there's 10 of those psycho cannibals. The biggest problem is that they are alike, which makes RP really unenjoyable. I mean playing as a psycho is fun and all but the way they are being played is a stale "Shut the fuck up, I'm making you a permanent scar!" style (hostile RP overall. Not from everyone of course.). I don't want to say that all bandits are like this. There are some really good players who give out very interesting RP and that's enjoyable for the hostage too, +1 for those guys. I think people should put more thought in to their characters when making them so that we could get different kinds of characters so that you'd meet interesting and varied personalities.

I think that a stale bandit RP is just a product of peoples laziness and/or lack of experience?

What do you guys think?

isocade    90

Personally I'd call those kinds of characters "one-dimensional". They serve no purpose other than a very basic and broad role that brings forth nothing new. Got a thread up about this hoping that it'd stir up discussion but people stopped posting on it.

Usually the way it works is good and bad balances each other out. If there's too many bad guys, then bad becomes the norm and the definition of bad changes, which causes people who want to be bad to become even worse and risk doing unnecessarily edgy things in order to be "bad" again. Likewise if there's too many good guys and then they risk going over-the-top heroic and selfless in order to be "good" again.

Right now there's a lot of bad guys who are blatantly bad, a lot of bad guys who are hiding amongst the shadows, a TON of neutral guys who are all over the place, and a few good guys who are pretty reserved and keep to themselves.

That's from my perspective, however.

I'd say it's majority lack of experience. Maybe there are some intentionally unimaginative people out there - but when I run into some anybody doing the violent/psychotic RP I'm usually able to trace the inspiration for their dialogue/actions to a pop culture reference from the recent past (eg. Game of Thrones, The Purge, Suicide Squad etc.)

My view is that these people want to just play these characters, you see these films and you get inspired - that's fine. But rarely do they put a personal spin on it, because it's all surface level.

Example; a player will see Negan from The Walking Dead, with his baseball bat - that player will in turn create a character that tortures others with a baseball bat.

I don't think you can expect newer members (or people new to roleplay) to really pick it up off the bat, some people will be good at improv acting (which is what this is) immediately, whereas others won't. Hence why you run into Crazy Psycho RP often and why it's unimaginative. They're playing the cliche because all they know of is the cliche. That's why in a hostage scenario they'll default to permascarring because it's all they know about hostage scenarios. (Robbing and scarring)

--

On top of that, I think there are a lot of newer members that are still invested in 'Winning' in some form of OOC context. For example I've had players join me and my friend in the public TS channels when we play - who are new, and talk about how they will drop a grenade when they get robbed and so on.

Raptor    153

I'm glad you brought this up. Alot of people have been talking about this particular issue recently, but this truly is a problem and it needs to stop.

CoWZ05t.gif?noredirect

Terra    1367

We already try to filter out whitelists which contain "super-soldier'ism" - Yet, when joining the Server you dont have to stick with your backstory you put in the whitelist.

I have encountered many people playing with a military backround very well but I also ran into super soldiers, not feeling pain, no fear and so on.

Kuljukka    56

-snip-

-snip-

You both are right. We can't expect new players to give out amazing personal RP at first but the thing I'm worried about is that what if they get sucked in to that stale bandit RP style because they have no knowledge or experience about anything other than that kind of hostile RP. I hope we get to see more interesting characters soon.

We already try to filter out whitelists which contain "super-soldier'ism" - Yet, when joining the Server you dont have to stick with your backstory you put in the whitelist.

I have encountered many people playing with a military backround very well but I also ran into super soldiers, not feeling pain, no fear and so on.

Super soldiers give the least enjoyable RP.

I think that us being able to change our stories is a good feature even though some people may create super soldiers. When I joined the server I played with my first character for 2 months and then I started to realize how super soldier'ish my character was and I made a new one which has a lot of room for character devleopment.

I hope all the new players who join or anyone that plays super soldier'ish characters do the same. I mean they dont have to but it would stir up the diversity.

Maybe we have to wait this one out since if it becomes a norm people might change to a new playstyle?

-snip-

+1 because of the GIF.

Personally I'd call those kinds of characters "one-dimensional". They serve no purpose other than a very basic and broad role that brings forth nothing new. Got a thread up about this hoping that it'd stir up discussion but people stopped posting on it.

Usually the way it works is good and bad balances each other out. If there's too many bad guys, then bad becomes the norm and the definition of bad changes, which causes people who want to be bad to become even worse and risk doing unnecessarily edgy things in order to be "bad" again. Likewise if there's too many good guys and then they risk going over-the-top heroic and selfless in order to be "good" again.

Right now there's a lot of bad guys who are blatantly bad, a lot of bad guys who are hiding amongst the shadows, a TON of neutral guys who are all over the place, and a few good guys who are pretty reserved and keep to themselves.

That's from my perspective, however.

Basicly This. +1

Kerkkoh    44

Supersoldiers, I think I've gotten used to them and tend just to avoid dealing with them in general. I guess it's mostly the new players that might get their first RP experiences here that usually feel like it's easier to make a character that has 900 sniper kills in Afghanistan at age 20.

People that enjoy torture and don't show any signs of pain are harder to avoid, but I think it's still pretty rare to come across one.

I feel like multiple times when you get captured people tend to just suddenly turn their sweet little character into a monster that can cut you in half. I've seen many people do it well, but too many do it so wrong when their John Doe turns into a savage cannibal that drinks blood.

What isocade said probably sums it up the best. These characters don't serve any other purpose than this stale RP, but with time they should balance out. If we could monitor the number of generally "bad" people, I bet we could do a graph of it and see something like a chart describing population cap, where the numbers of "bad" characters will raise to a point, but then start going back down because the "carrying capacity" got surpassed.

xe01iAY.jpg

Nihoolious    1103

I like capturing these types of characters. Its fun to tear down their ego and make them bitches for an hour or so. Its cringy as fuck but its all good fun in the end. We need another wh!tename wave tbh

I like capturing these types of characters. Its fun to tear down their ego and make them bitches for an hour or so. Its cringy as fuck but its all good fun in the end. We need another wh!tename wave tbh

no better way to do that than slapping them with my fish

and oh Wh1tenames lifes matters yo

Kuljukka    56

+1

Too many people like to play a character that they think would be a badass. It's actually quite fun encountering a supersoldier who says he's an ex navy seal and special forces and shit like that. Then you start to break down his backstory and you see it crumble in front of your very own eyes. It's an easy way to start out and a decent military backstory isn't hard to come up with. Though the sheer amount of people playing them makes it feel awkward.

The edgy people, especially newcomers are the people who want to immediately make an impact on the server. Get their name out there and usually sounding like a ghoul from Fallout. Better way would be to start small and simple.

Honestly, Yes they are too edgy and tiring from time to time... Seeing a bad ass dude that is afraid of nothing, But we should get the best of it,

Ever been playing wasteland survival games and stumbled upon tons of bandits? Just tear them out with quality RP, They have a purpose.. and that is to be eradicated :P

Or something else, We should make the best of it.

This is why I try and play a character is basically normal, not used to torture and not that educated with weapons or weapon types.

For me it just makes RPing that little bit better especially when you come across the super soliders so you can play with them :P

I can agree although I used to be guilty for some of these things, but I was taken yesterday by two clowns because I was lying. Now I don't care that they tortured me and their rp was fine but they were asking me to play Russian roulette and trying to scar me all because of lying. There is always more to torturing than just scarring, you just need to get creative.

Wow I'm cringy:(

Personally the more annoying trend is the "I'm edgy and have been shoot in the neck whilst having throat cancer and a have really bad chest infection" voice that everybody seems to be doing. If i hear that I just keep moving.

Personally the more annoying trend is the "I'm edgy and have been shoot in the neck whilst having throat cancer and a have really bad chest infection" voice that everybody seems to be doing. If i hear that I just keep moving.

I think you have to take into account a lot of people who do the "edgy" "rough throat" "tortured" character is often new people to the server. These people haven't been here for 2+ years and seen this cliche of character traits, they have no idea what they're doing has been done before. Most probably think it's rather unique because at one point it was. Lol, I mean when I was new I thought it would be unique to wear a gas mask. Nope.

You have to give time for people to learn and understand the server. For those people it's a brand new experience, and just dismissive them so quickly really takes away from their experience as a whole. You can't really blame them all.

Krackerman    17

I'd agree it's usually new players taking this line - ones who've been watching wayyyy too much TWD. I guess though they'll get bored of it and either leave or they'll flesh out their characters a little more and in that case we all win.

Btw try sticking "i'm an edgy psycho supersoldier cannibal torture expert" into google... some odd people out there...

Shadows    1000

I agree it makes getting taken hostage unenjoyable but I also think these people will either get bored of that playstyle or develop into better bandits. They all start somewhere.

Jetwells    242

Unfortunately, This is the exact reason ive stopped playing. Nothing new happens anymore, its all the same, rinse repeat scenario. Im waiting eagerly on a lore reset.

I can agree although I used to be guilty for some of these things, but I was taken yesterday by two clowns because I was lying. Now I don't care that they tortured me and their rp was fine but they were asking me to play Russian roulette and trying to scare me all because of lying. There is always more to torturing than just scarring, you just need to get creative.

Yesterday..? We didnt torture any blackwood yesterday in fact we were running around with a few of you

I think the server needs a healthy amount of voice modifiers. I tried using a voice changer on my female character but couldn't get it to work with my voice, but if someone was to use it with lets say a gas mask or for when they are using a mask it would put a bit more variety back into the server.

I can agree although I used to be guilty for some of these things, but I was taken yesterday by two clowns because I was lying. Now I don't care that they tortured me and their rp was fine but they were asking me to play Russian roulette and trying to scare me all because of lying. There is always more to torturing than just scarring, you just need to get creative.

Yesterday..? We didnt torture any blackwood yesterday in fact we were running around with a few of you

Idk CJ was with them so I assumed, and they had clown masks saying they wanted to play clown roulette.

I must of missed that, ill have to have a chat with them

Kuljukka    56

You guys are right. maybe it's just the learning curve for everyone. But I still hope that we would get more diversity to the RP.