Server time: 2017-08-17, 11:55

Sign in to follow this  
MrBlairdom

A HOPEless note

MrBlairdom    11

James closes the door to his room and sits on a chair at a nearby desk. Voices could still be heard outside his room. He looks through his backpack and grabs a piece of paper and a pen and, after letting out a heavy sigh he begins writing:

Hope. There is no hope. When I first heard of it, I felt something that I thought I had lost that day Michael died - optimism. Rumors about a place where you could heal your wounds, where people come together to help each other, rumors about a small piece of land where you could close your eyes and get some rest, rumors that made my life more bearable.

The news traveled all the way up North and that made me believe it was actually true. Without hesitation I began my journey South. I met a guy Roman - good fellow.

James stops his writing trying to make sense of the noises outside his window. Stressful exchanges of words pierced through the otherwise peaceful night. He drops his pen and places his sidearm on the desk, near the piece of paper.

Only to lose him shortly after to those infected.

But I kept my hope alive.

I traveled some more and I met Eddy - a hiker who got stranded. I lost him as well to the on-going chaos at one of the airfields still plagued by those who prey on the lost and weak.

I felt I was getting closer and closer to that which I set out to find. I meet others in one the central towns: an alcoholic, a kid and a medic. Need I mention that I lost contact with all of them?

As he writes his last sentence he rests his head onto the desk, over the piece of paper. He closes his eyes and listens in to the noises outside. 'Fuck me...' he whispers to himself as he raises his head and blinks a few times as he regains vision. 

Just to make things interesting, I began collecting all that I deemed useful for such a settlement: medical supplies were my top priority. I had successfully packed more medicine that I've ever taken in my entire life. I wanted to make my introduction as smooth as possible. I wanted to build on that hope they offered me when I had first heard of their existence.

I finally reach...Camp Hope, as they called it. I was taken there by two of their members whom I found in one of the nearby abandoned towns. I spent my first moments breathing it all in. The hope. I didn't tell a soul about my supplies. I didn't want to waste my first good impression on just anyone. I began talking to others who were already there. Exchanged a few words until...

James stops his writing. He sits still in his chair contemplating. He grabs the piece of paper with both hands as if ready to tear it apart but stops. Grabbing his pen back he resumes his writing.

...until the camp had filled with the voices, banter and movements of some strange men. My hope dwindled right then and there. I decided to retire in one of the rooms. Second day I go for a walk and end up spending some time with two other 'Campers'. When I got back there, I was greeted by tension, strangers and an unsettling feeling. Wanted men roam the camp, doctors are yet again hard to find. My hope is dwindling even more. I am still here. My third day at the camp. This has been an unfortunate day. I am still carrying the medical supplies as no doctors were available for me to talk to. And I got quite a bunch of them. Today I saw one of their superiors - she needed more help than any of the injured I've seen walking down that camp. Eyes all red - must've been crying. No wonder. Her husband was holding up people in the woods. The camp had become a refuge for those robbed by those bastards in the nearby woods. Tension. More tension and less hope. I went there to see it with my own eyes. It wasn't just a rumor.

As I got back to the camp, trying to figure out what to do next, I looked around me and all I could see were strangers, walking alongside other strangers. Nothing more. No unity, no community, no laws. Shortly after, the men in the woods came strolling down the battered path and began asking questions about a certain someone around the camp. There was no hold back, nothing. It was just as if the camp had always belonged to them. Bad men, no hope. No one seemed to care so I made my decision. I am leaving and I am taking the supplies with me. Or maybe I'll just throw them into a creek.

James pauses his writing and looks over at the nearby backpack filled with medical supplies. 'That's too bad' says to himself as he switches his attention to the piece of paper in front of him.

Why am I writing this? I don't know. Maybe someone will find this note in this room and it'll be helpful. Maybe this note will just get destroyed. I don't know. What I do know is that writing can still make me feel good. As if someone's actually there, listening to me, caring about what I have to say. And if there is, then read carefully: Don't stay here for too long. It is not safe. It is a place of chaos. People are yelling outside my window as I am writing this. The camp has been overthrown.

Camp Hope? More like 'Can't Hope'.

As he finishes the last sentence, James folds the piece of paper in two and places it in the middle of the desk. He grabs his backpack, turns off the light and stands still near the door as if ready to make a move.   

Raptor    152

Wow man, this is some really deep stuff. Looks like we need to change the image of Camp Hope.

MrBlairdom    11

As the events were occurring, it just felt like a story to be told. But yeah, that is my final verdict about Camp Hope at the moment :D I am glad it made an impact on you, at least.

God thats a witty title.

Nice one man.

Mercy    485

I cry everytime :(

MrBlairdom    11

Thank you for your comments - I'm happy it sent the message I was trying to convey in the first place.

In terms of IC, this has been quite a shock for my character.

PS: I left all of those medical supplies in a tent, inside the camp. A tent full of fish.