Server time: 2017-08-19, 05:28

Sign in to follow this  
Hollows

Statute of Limitations for Evidence?

Hollows    410

Allow me to begin by stating the obvious: I've been a member of the community since late 2013, and I've been relatively active too. I've seen dozens and dozens of instances where people pocketed a piece of evidence or reportable offenses to use when it is most convenient. (Either to purposely get someone perma-banned, or to blackmail them.) Because of this, I am disgusted to see it still be a thing. This is a mature RolePlaying community, yet everyone is trying to fight a proxy war with one another by trying to scrape up as much dirt on someone as they can. It's getting old, and it'll kill this community.

So, anyhow... In lieu of recent events, I'm suggesting we enact a Statute of Limitations for evidence / reportable offences. So people cannot be reported for something they did weeks, months or year(s) ago. (Unless it's something like hacking, which is frankly more serious than hurt feelings). People will have a relatively short time-frame to report, otherwise the dirt is dusted off and everyone's happy. No more 'I'm saving this piece of dirt for an Ace-In-The-Hole' type bullshit. No more bias.

Thoughts / Opinions?

Fucking +1. Fucking +1.

Shouldn't people get in trouble for withholding evidence anyways?

Honestly I dont think anything else needs to be said if you're not reporting it then and there or within a reasonable time frame (because ya know some people are busy) a few days perhaps then its obvious you didnt intend to report it anyway. Reproting stuff weeks/months/years after its occurrence is bullshit no other word for it.

+1

This will probably get closed too tbh, but I agree.

Will it ever happen? No, probably not.

Thats only for evidence relevant to a situation that has already been reported.

I mean how can you withhold something you didnt intend to report?

Nihoolious    1106

No standard rule break can be reported if it is a month+ old or something like that. That includes "harassment" and flaming posts. Exceptions when it comes to hacking sure.

Thats only for evidence relevant to a situation that has already been reported.

yeah, urite

But still, we can all agree that bringing up chat logs from months ago to try and fuck someone over is shady and shouldn't be allowed.

EDIT to your edit: thats kinda my point. If someone is "saving" evidence for later use then it shouldn't even be valid because they should've reported the rulebreak then and there.

Personally I think people should stop playing the victim when they're the ones who go out of their way to get someone permabanned for saying something bad about them, but that's just me.

I can +1 this suggestion. Although it shouldn't be needed.

Hollows    410

No standard rule break can be reported if it is a month+ old or something like that. That includes "harassment" and flaming posts. Exceptions when it comes to hacking sure.

Yeah, I can get behind that 1-Month period. Seems lengthy to me, but enough time for the less active people on the forums to get their stuff together and report. I was originally thinking 7-12 days of the incident is when the window closes for reporting. Because if it can wait that long, it obviously doesn't effect you enough for you to make a report unless it's out of spite.

Buddy    835

*attempts and fails to /move to suggestions* lel

i'm on board with this. if you see something wrong then it should be resolved asap and not shoved your pocket for later when you're hungry

Fuck yes, bring an end to the petty bullshit +1

Henning    61

The problem isn't just that Cory was banned for something he said two months ago, its the fact he was banned for calling a staff member a mean name in a PRIVATE setting. What he said had no effect on the server or on the community. It would have been a different case had it been said publicly on the forums or social media.

If you save evidence to use it at a later time you're an asshole, You're waiting to get someone permd the second they piss you off and that is not okay at all. That should be a rule itself. Fuck that shit, grow up. God forbid.. Enough of this shit stop being so fucking petty and ruining other peoples time because of you NaCl are through the roof. Go take a nap, walk your dog, sleep it off, But for god sakes stop taking it out on the people in this fucking community! FUCK! Who gives a fuck if you dont like soemone! No reason at all to remove them from a community they have just as much time having a blast as you do. Stop playing the victim and stop being selfish and a child.

This might sound blunt, and hate on it if you would like, but.

Who cares.

This is a gaming community. Not a government, I dont even think discussions like this are remotely needed. Play the game. There are certain people who are amazing RPers and love this community without coming to the forums every day or even close to every day.

And Im not saying Im all clean here. I love the drama. My final warning shows it. But recieving the final warning makes ya think. I might not get to play here soon. That would suck ass my man. Gotta just play the game, and if something goes wrong, or a staff member does something you dont like, just deal with it.

There has been a lot of decisions being called out lately and a lot of shitting on staff. but to quote an earlier statement, "who cares".

Thats just my 3 cents. People will see it differently, thats fine. This is the internet, I wouldnt come on it if I expected everyone to agree and hold hands.

This is a gaming community

No this is a business never forget that

If you are withholding information to save it for a later date in which you can get perma banned whenever you want is kind of pathetic and if its permaban worthy it should be reported straight away. If you don't like someone then you don't like them. You don't have to get them removed from the community over it

but +1 on the idea

Rick    19

+1

I think the larger issue is what is/isn't submissible as evidence, as some sources really shouldn't be used (ie. private convos), but this would be a start. The way things are being done in regard to evidence almost entices people to blackmail others.

Hollows    410

Valk is right. Money is being made for a service which Rolle and other Administrators are providing. This isn't just a 'Gaming Community'. To many people who've PUT MONEY INTO the community, it's an INVESTMENT. This is, by the rules of technicality, a business. Where people invest REAL MONEY into.

Castiel    1124

Why was this moved to general discussion? This is a suggestion.

He posted it there.

/Moved to Suggestions

Valk is right. Money is being made for a service which Rolle and other Administrators are providing. This isn't just a 'Gaming Community'. To many people who've PUT MONEY INTO the community, it's an INVESTMENT. This is, by the rules of technicality, a business. Where people invest REAL MONEY into.

Not even that

DayZRP is a flat out registered business Rolle pays Tax on his income he receives from selling "premiums" to the users of this website and the services it provides.

And with that said that makes all of us who have a premium customers of it and you dont shit on your customers.

This might sound blunt, and hate on it if you would like, but.

Who cares.

This is a gaming community. Not a government, I dont even think discussions like this are remotely needed. 

I bet Cory cares that something he said months ago was used against him just because someone didn't like him.

Oh how I wish this discussion wasn't needed but there are people in this community that get some sort of pleasure out of dunking on people and getting them removed from the community they love, using evidence they've been letting ferment in their "time to fuck someone over" chamber. It makes my stomach churn that people can take something so innocent such as a gaming community and try to use it against others just because they have differences. It is fucking putrid. 

So yeah, even though this discussion shouldn't be needed *cough* mature roleplaying community *cough* we need to have it until we can sit down those who wish to shit on others just because they have some screenshots or some shit.

Until this happens, we can't just enjoy the game. Because there are people that are gone for no other reason than someone decided to use an insult someone threw in private against them.

Honestly o7 Cory.

/rant

Rolle    2450

Most evidence doesn't have any date visible on it, so it wouldn't work. Although I like the idea, it's not very practical and will work with most evidence that we get.

It's a business for me, it's a community for you. You're not involved in any part of the business, remember? ;)

It's a business for me, it's a community for you. You're not involved in any part of the business, remember? ;)

My bank statements and my "premium" status shows otherwise.

I think you will find im a customer mate ;)