Server time: 2017-10-24, 09:16
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Billy

Reports.

Billy    0

Small suggestion

Was thinking that it would be a good idea to add a "What would you like to achieve from this report" on the report coding. Pretty much the same thing that is in the ban appeals, someone says what they want, and if deemed unnecessary than it is denied and you receive whatever staff is going to give you.

I don't know maybe this is stupid, but I feel it could possibly reduce the amount of time on a lot of reports. For instance if someone wants to just talk it out on TS or maybe they just want said person to be given a verbal warning.

And obviously the staff members that are dealing with the report can overrule the OP's requested achievement if they do not think it is acceptable.

If there was already a suggestion on this than this can just be closed right away.

Nihoolious    1252

Most people make reports with the intention to punish others. That's not a bad thing at all, just the reality of it. That being said I've personally made several reports to get in communication with the other party to work out a compromise and close it by the end.

People can just write their intentions in the pov but this works too so I don't see why not tbh.

Thumper    0

+1 I like it.

I always wanted to write:

What would you like to happen: To see the accused burn in eternal hellfire.

Someone will flame.

Castiel    1124

I don't see why not, although I've never understood why people make reports with the intention of just talking to the other party. They can always just approach a member of Staff and get the name of the accused in TeamSpeak.

Nihoolious    1252

I don't see why not, although I've never understood why people make reports with the intention of just talking to the other party. They can always just approach a member of Staff and get the name of the accused in TeamSpeak.

People are more likely to respond quicker when the idea of being banned is there. I'd love for everyone to use ts or be active on the forums in case things like this happen but some people can't be bothered.

Koala Kozak    13

I don't like reporting people, whatsoever, the main reason i've ever Reported or PM'd is to allow the other people to understand what they did wrong, and from all times i have done this, my point has been made, they understand, and everything is well, you can close the report at any time. the admins won't mind, and it's all controlled by you, i just dislike the amount of people that are still wanting to punish someone who didn't really do anything that bad, and who realise their mistake, like me once by Not hearing a guy say some really dumb shit, and choosing to ignore it when it happened again, ended up getting a badRP ban for not telling the guy off, oops.

Ramon    360

Now for I start I want to say something else...

It has to do with making a report.

Normally if I make a report I think first is the report necessary. Is it needed, are there rulebreaks...

And If I decide to make one it's not to crush down the other party but more a way to say you can not do this.

I hope that people will learn from their mistakes if they make one.

I find making reports not even funny and I am often not even salty about it.

But if you don't report people that make rulebreaks they will not learn anything.

Now back to your suggestion after what I have told I don't think it's needed to be honest.

In my view you need to ask yourself before making a report, should I make a report or just contact the person to talk it out in a PM or in TeamSpeak.

I think that is more a way to reduce the amount of reports.

AndreyQ    0

If you wanna talk to someone in TS you can ask a GM for that person's forum name. If your whole reasoning behind the report is to talk to someone then I don't see why the report is needed in the first place as the staff team provides all possible info in order for you to contact that said person.

I will give this a -1. When I make a report I make it because I want that said someone to learn the rules. If I can talk to the person and explain the wrongs then fine, I will close the report, if the person does not seem to understand or does not want to talk then I will continue then I will continue the report and let the the GM team handle it.

WilliAM    431

Most reports if not all are made to punish those who made the rule break.

It's a good suggestion, but I don't think it's necessary because the purpose of the report is already outlined.

Eagle    409

+1

Some people don't want the report to result in a ban so I 100% agree with this.

Harry    18

I personally dont see a need for the line as for most people they either report someone so he can learn from the situation or either just wants to the see said person banned, or they make it because they "think" that some one broke a rule. But other then that there wont be that many different other reasons to put up a report. So in my eyes its quite unnecessary and does not add anything so -1 for me.

GaryCash    33

I don't really see this as being necessary personally. The admins and staff will observe the report and deem what should be done based off what they see themselves. I think its quite apparent what is trying to be accomplished in most reports. Though I could see it being helpful for people reporting people but if they didn't want the user to be punished saying something like, "I would like this report to be a learning experience for this player and for them not to receive any punishments following the verdict." This could ACTUALLY be a very useful teaching tool and mechanism for new players, forcing them into reports to understand their wrong doings and making them go through the process so they realize that continued behavior following whatever got them into the report in the first place will end up getting them an actual ban in the future. This will likely cause them to follow the rules in the future and learn from their mistakes.

That being said that's why we have the application process for the server, so that way the new players can learn the server rules and learn them well. So I still don't know if this is necessary, however I like the idea if it could be used as a tool to show new players about the various processes that exist on our server if you fail to stay within the game play rules and guidelines.

--- If this became an option, I would likely start reporting new players in the future where I had let them slip in the past solely to educate them on what they did wrong and show them what the reporting systems on our server are like, and encourage them to avoid them in the future. Though as of right now, when I see a new player make a rule break, I generally try my best to seek them out and tell them about what they did wrong, but maybe this new way could be a better method.

Billy    0

I personally dont see a need for the line as for most people they either report someone so he can learn from the situation or either just wants to the see said person banned, or they make it because they "think" that some one broke a rule. But other then that there wont be that many different other reasons to put up a report. So in my eyes its quite unnecessary and does not add anything so -1 for me.

You're just assuming that though, like stated above people report to see what the accused was thinking and a lot of the times people don't report to get others banned. That's why they are always closed after some talk between the accusing and the accused. Sure the main reason people report others is because they broke a rule and they don't want that to happen again in the community but the mass of people who do that does not justify the ones that don't want to get people banned.

-snip-

I agree, but admins and staff do not know if the OP wants the person banned or not, only if stated by the OP themselves. I've seen reports where a very minor rule was broken but the OP told them to close the report because even though the person broke a rule, they discussed what the accused did wrong and he/she understood why.

GaryCash    33

Hmmm well; as a tool for having someone experience a report but not having them receive the punishments of it, I'm all for this idea

+1

Frosty    0

I don't see an issue with it personally.

If you see that on the report template you might rethink your anger and ask yourself, "Am I doing this just to ban them out of rage?"

It would be a nice little addition to the process.

Boston    787

Yeah, I'd like to see designation of punishments by the OP as low as verbal warning or as high as the standard ban/what staff deem necessary. Sometimes you'll want someone to get punished, but not so heavily, it'd help.

Wumby    0

Yeah, I'd like to see designation of punishments by the OP as low as verbal warning or as high as the standard ban/what staff deem necessary. Sometimes you'll want someone to get punished, but not so heavily, it'd help.

But then there would be inconsistency with the staff. Which people complain about everyday. If there is going to be rules, they need to be set in stone. You should receive less punishment just because the guy reporting you feels bad. You broke a rule, the other felt the need to report you. Take the standard ban if found guilty. 

Just my 3 cents.

Dishes    159

If you are reporting someone you should already be aware that the other person who you are reporting may be punished due to it, and the severity of the punishment is then up to staff, not the OP. If you have any other intention other than that then I don't think you should be reporting the person, so I don't think this addition would really be necessary. 

You could always get the person's name and PM them on the forums or speak with them on TS if you would like to speak with them or have any other intention than trying to get them punished for something.

GaryCash    33

But then there would be inconsistency with the staff. Which people complain about everyday. If there is going to be rules, they need to be set in stone. You should receive less punishment just because the guy reporting you feels bad. You broke a rule, the other felt the need to report you. Take the standard ban if found guilty. 

Just my 3 cents.

You bring up a good point, this could be a headache for staff, especially if they really deem its necessary to punish the player and they are being asked not to but the OP.

Famous    6

I agree 100% with adding that section to the report coding. I understand that breaking a rule is breaking a rule, but usually there is a bit of factors that affect something in order for that rule to be broken. Perhaps IRL issues or something, adding this would probably help out a lot.

Slash    87

I don't really see the need for this to be honest. I think the template is fine how it is.

Billy    0

Just my 3 cents.

But it happens anyway? Regardless of my suggestion being implemented or not if the OP requests to close the report and it's not a serious rule break then staff does so. Obviously if someone mass KOS a group then the OP most likely won't say "oh, leave him with a verbal warning."

Chow    45

What is the point of explaining what is obvious.

A: They want to know who killed them.

B: They want to punish someone who they think broke a rule.

C: They are SSsssSSSsSalty

All can be read from the Detailed Description and/or rulebreak they are accusing someone of.

If they just wanna talk it over TS, ask a GM for their name.

In most cases they will give it too you. Reports is always best avoided.

Billy    0

What is the point of explaining what is obvious.

A: They want to know who killed them.

B: They want to punish someone who they think broke a rule.

C: They are SSsssSSSsSalty

All can be read from the Detailed Description and/or rulebreak they are accusing someone of.

If they just wanna talk it over TS, ask a GM for their name.

In most cases they will give it too you. Reports is always best avoided.

Explain something thats obvious? I think the only thing not implied is where they want to go with it.

+1

I agree with you completely, it also allows the assessors of the report to understand the severity of the report before they completely commit their time to it, maybe giving them a choice on whether another report requires their attention more so.

Also it shows the initial reasoning of the OP, which evidently can show if the report is genuine or is just made out of pure salt.

I believe this idea would be really effective and make a lot more reports easier to understand, as well as concluding. :)