Server time: 2017-10-17, 18:46
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Wumby

Oneida National Thread [WIP]

Wumby    0

As some of you may already know, I am currently in school and studying to become a golf professional. After college I hope to run a private club somewhere in Florida, or possibly the Southwest areas of the United States. I take all different kids of classes ranging from business classes, to classes that improve my own golf game. 

I am currently taking a class where I am learning about golf course facilities and management. We learn about the agricultural side of the course, tools and chemicals used to maintain a course, as well as machinery, strategies, and the staff it takes to keep a course going. 

Now in reality this is a gaming community, not everyone is going to enjoy golf, or probably a rotten potato about it, but lets get to the meat of this thread. 

For this class, I am designing a course. The entire thing. From the land it will be on, the irrigation system used to water it, all the way down to what type of flags will be in the holes. This thread will be updates on my progress. I want to share this with everyone because so far its been really fun. The little details put into are something I would never have thought of when you're just out playing. So,  every golf course needs a name. So lets start there.

66alldt.png

Oneida National. Above is our logo. Think of the logo as you would Ralph Lauren. The bird outline would go on merchandise. (shirts, hats, balls)

The logo MEANS SOMETHING

My roommate and I have based this course out of Ohio. In Ohio, there is an Indian tribe known as the Oneida Indians. The bird is the outline of a Hermit Thrush. It is the center of a myth and story created by the indian tribe. 

To learn more about the Hermit Thrush and how it relates to Oneida, click the link below

http://www.oneidaindiannation.com/the-legend-of-the-hermit-thrush/

So one of the most important things I have found in this process is that your course is only as good as your irrigation system. As of right now, I do not have a fully completed map of the system I have created. But I do have details. 

Now, the course is split in half by a river. Front 9 on one side, back 9 on the other. So because of this river, I can pump water from the river as well as the lake that the course is on. (all will be seen in future images). On each side of the river, at the mouth of the river, there is a pump house. Each pump house will have its very own circuit of pipes and irrigation lines for each 9 holes. 

Now you cant just start pumping water out of a public lake and river. That is pretty darn illegal here in the states. You need permits. Permission if you will. 

Although, before you do ANYTHING, you need to have a professional scout your land and see if it is fit to install a private irrigation system. With my course being in Ohio, we found the laws and regulations for using public water for private commerical use. Here are the steps

1. You need to contact Ohio Environmental Agency. They will send someone to your property, and deem it fit for construction. 

Rgp28uN.png

2. Once you are given the go ahead, you need to get a permit to use public water for private commerical use. Refer to this link for more.

c6d4ea59a9899af9a262751eba51ddf6.png

7cb07775bbb5194a359e1411e1a7a88e.png

17faa19ef788ee82717a8792a855c336.png

3. Once all your permits are in order, you can go ahead and start to input your system. All the rest is construction and I dont have time to get into that, nor do I want to honestly. 

Now I just finished designing the club house and "up front" design of the facility. Upfront meaning the clubhouse, parking lot, driving range, putting green, cart storage, cart staging, etc, BUT, thats all very irrelevant in this thread. 

The important part here is the course. Last night I did the first simple outline of the course. I am basically making this thread to feed off the creativity of all the wonderful people here. I am looking for suggestions on how to make things better, look nicer, or more interesting. 

So here is the first sketch. No irrigation lines, no technical drawing, (that will come later). Just pencil and paper. 

J7NdoJg.jpg

Cipher    0

When I saw this in recent topics I thought this was your new group idea.

This actually looks really cool, is this a golf-specific major or do you major in something like Business or Business Administration?

Either way I'll be looking out for this thread, excited to see your progress Wumbo.

Wumby    0

When I saw this in recent topics I thought this was your new group idea.

This actually looks really cool, is this a golf-specific major or do you major in something like Business or Business Administration?

Either way I'll be looking out for this thread, excited to see your progress Wumbo.

Golf Management Major: Degree, Bachelor of Science in Business

William    427

What's your handicap

William    427

What's your handicap

officially, 3.2 

unofficially, 3-4

That's really good. I was sitting at a 10 last summer, now I'm a 14 :(

Wumby    0

What's your handicap

officially, 3.2 

unofficially, 3-4

That's really good. I was sitting at a 10 last summer, now I'm a 14 :(

Hey man, gotta grind. keeping a cap under 5 isnt easy if you arnt working everyday

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

Which college? Indiana still?