Server time: 2017-10-19, 07:20
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  

Lemon's In The Making Of: DayZRP Trailer

Well it certainly has been a blast working on the trailer.  Hahaha just kidding I have a massive head ache right now and should really go to sleep but I'm actually typing this thread right after I submitted my stupid trailer.  First of all you are probably wondering why I just called my trailer "stupid".  Well sit down sweety and let me take you down the world of VIDEO PRODUCTION.  First thing to learn is that after working on a project for so long, trying to get every detail polished you begin to absolutely despise the project you once had such passion for.  I want to die.

So in this thread you will learn what process I went through when creating the trailer idea, recording, and video/audio editing.  I wanted to make a thread about this at some point so I might as well now since some people are becoming interested in editing videos.  Okay let's get to it.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional editor so don't treat me as one.  I just learn from experience over the years.

[mp3]http://puu.sh/rDkXF/0ee15fd290.mp3[/mp3]

My Trailer:  

a2378e4d4e.png

Preplanning is a very important stage for all videos that require a lot of work into them, such as a trailer or movie.  If you are just splicing together gameplay then it doesn't really matter I suppose, you can just wing it and think of idea along the way.  Preplanning if probably the worst stage to go through if you are not so creative like myself.  What I first like to plan is the beginning and the ending, then I try to fill in the middle.

1) Let's get some spoilers going for my other project as an example.  It begins with a couple of guys being chased by bandits.  The ending was all the bandits were killed at a specific location.  Great, we have a path.  Now the question is, how are these survivors going to withstand the onslaught of bandits whilst running to the location where their pursuers will be killed?  Now you get creative and start writing in the script.  Fill in the blanks.  

2) Another way of starting a video is working off of the music you want to use.  I do not recommend this as it just seems like a bad habit and limits what you can do later down the road.  But basically you take some music and you build the script off of that.  Write the script and lines so it matches up with the feeling of the music.  Have the build ups in the music result in a build up in the editing, stuff like that.  It can create some very nice scenes, but like I said, it limits you.  For example what if you want to change the script to something else but the music doesn't match up?  You can't just outright change the music out of no where, it wouldn't sound smooth.  You can't get rid of the music either, what will happen to all that work you did before with the music so it specifically matched up with your footage?  It would turn to garbage.

That's why this method I would only recommend with videos that are short and have no story.  A great example would be this video:

[video=youtube]

This video was built off the music, all that you need is the right footage.  It was short, sweet and had no real direction or "story".

In the trailer's case, I did a bit of both.  The beginning part all the way up to the soldier's death I built off of the music.  Scenes changes at peaks in the music create a nice flow.

The beginning portion was specifically designed to fit the DayZRP lore.  I wanted a very IC feeling to give a chill.  The news reporters were my outlet for this.  They delivered the lore, the source of the outbreak, the CDF initiating protocol 62, a lot was packed in there.  Even when the CDF were overrun by infected as their gunshots only attracted more, it's all there.  

The second portion I wanted to focus on the outcome of humanity.  Darkness of man's heart took over and with it the world.  It is dark and it is unforgiving, this world these two characters are apart of.

I wanted one character to be a realist that realizes what is happening around him and chooses to adapt.

The second character is an idealist that is stuck in the past and his fear will lead to poor decisions that will only harm other humans.

Calm and collected logical thinking character, and his opposite, the terrified man in denial that cannot accept the new world.  How interesting.

d0a42301fe.png

But what of the scenes?  You may ask.  What exactly gave me the idea of producing such scenes.  The answer: My experience working on other projects.  The beginning was created purely through Arma 3 with the exception of one limping man shot.

290x150https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/ArmA_3_Logo_(Transparent).png/800px-ArmA_3_Logo_(Transparent).png[/img]

But wait a second how exactly did I do the scenes in Arma 3 if it is impossible to port over the map?  Well let's say I have spent A LOT of time messing around in Chernarus+ via the Eden editor.  So, that means I kept the old 0.59 DayZ files.  I even tweaked them to get them to work perfectly in game.

[video=youtube]

Recording inside the editor is very tricky and required a lot of googling.  I made it work though through two methods:

1. Using a controller

2. Scripts

Using a controller is perfect when it comes to camera movement.  You have more control and you can create smoother shots.  Do not use a keyboard and mouse, it will look garbage.  As far as scripts are concerned the only time they were used was at 

in my trailer.  The script I used was a .sqs file that controlled camera movement.  The reason I did this over a controller is very simple.  I wanted the scene to transition into a night time shot with burning objects to show the ending world.  To do this solely in Arma 3 would be madness so I chose the simple route.  First I created my script for two camera positions.  One position where facing the wall of a house and another away from it bother facing the same direction.  I adjusted how long I wanted the shot to go for and went for it.  I launched the script and recorded the first day time shot.  Then I went back to the scene and added in vehicles, fire effects, smoke, the whole shebang.  Change the time to night, adjust lighting to have be brighter, a moonlight feel.  Now to execute the script again.  

Are you catching on now?  The script does not change it's movement at all.  With a controller it would be impossible to sync your movement frame by frame with a previous shot.  Thus!  Scripts are cool!  So now we have two files of footage with the EXACT same camera movement down to the frame.  So in editing, we can just match up the frame and slam it together!

a489a1e3bb.png

It's that simple!  Now you can see all the possibilities the Eden editor has to offer!  You can add models in, change the world setting in terms of weather and time, and you can even script objects to do many things!  (I don't know how to use many scripts).

Let's move on to recording in DayZ though.

322x150https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/DayZ_Standalone_Logo.jpg[/img]

DayZ is terrible to work with.  Desync, terrible UI, you name it, I hate it.  To record in DayZ you really need to get creative.  You need to find exploits to get good footage.  In my case, I found quite a few.  For example how are you supposed to prevent camera sway when recording?  The character in dayz by default will have his head move up in down despite disabling head bob.  So I had to use... Interesting way to prevent that...

8cd626acf9.jpg

Funny fact if you are in throwing animation you can cease the sway.  Problem is it is hard to hold down G all the time to I got my screw driver.  There is a glitch that will put you in the throwing animation without the need of holding down a key but I forgot how to do it.

Remember that glitch where if you throw something you appear unconscious but you really are not?  Well that actually does the same thing , except you are prone.  Which is what we did for 

shot when the soldier walks forward.  There is no sway.

Other than disabling the crosshair there isn't much else to explain as far as DayZ goes.  So let's get into recording programs.

e6970442fa.png

49B127FD0.png

Recording programs are great and you probably got a good idea on them already.  Personally, I love Dxtory by ExKode.  It an AMAZING program that allows you to configure an insane amount of settings.  

e93fa824af.png

You can do a lot in this program.  You can record at whatever FPS you can handle/want and overall is just perfect if your hardware can handle it.  For program like this you definitely want to record onto a hard drive that isn't running the game.  I learned the hard way that his kills the hard drive.  It creates high quality video but costs a lot of hard drive space.  Believe me I know...

6beeda70f8.png

4bde7e3154.png

Another great program is OBS.  However, I do not recommend it if you are going for really high quality videos.  OBS creates amazingly small files and you have a lot more freedom when recording as the program is made for live streaming.  So if you wanted to add a webcam and stuff you can do that.  Personally OBS is a big no no for me.

3350a7b207.png

Now for the juicy bits.  Editing is the best part about creating a project for me.  This is where you get to try new things, think outside the box, and just create a masterpiece.  You already got an idea of what I like to do in editing but let's get into some details.  When editing it is important to know the program so you know what you are working with.  Once you do that you can combine many elements and create something very nice.  Let's take a look at my project:

470ac28c9f.jpg

Oh...  Well that's pretty messy isn't it?  That's like 1 hour and 40 minutes of footage for a 2 minute trailer.  What's up with that?  Well all the excess footage... Is everything I recorded!  That's a lot of footage?  Now what I could have done is made a separate project to dump all the footage in then simply copy and paste it into the real deal but I was too lazy.  So let's ignore that irrelevant stuff and...

ENHANCE!!!

34524d6a41.png

Ah, that's better.  

Now then I am going to go over some simple stuff I did to improve the trailer via editing.  If you have a question on how I did something else in the trailer feel free to ask and I will elaborate.  First off  let's jump right into visuals.  

818cda0742.png

Before

9fa51a980b.jpg

After

ed650fb535.jpg

Before

6403d50191.jpg

After

77a72d190a.jpg

Pretty cool improvements, don't you think?  Well I didn't really do a whole lot.  I once took a photography class and we did a lot of photoshopping in there.  One thing I learned was the S Curve Method.  Simply take a color curve and shape it like a "S", that's what I did for my photos and that's what I did for the video!  Darken those shadows, brighten those brights, that is the idea behind this.

adf767a405.png

I also used Soft Contrast in just about all the shots.  What this does is add a shadow to the edge of the video.  I created my own configuration to make it less noticeable but still effective.

That's really about it for visual touch ups, not a whole lot to it actually.  Audio is a different story.

d4797b7e81.png

Audio editing is something I really know NOTHING about.  I barely have basic knowledge as it hasn't been my main focus over the years I have been editing.  It has mainly been things like motion capture.  Despite this I made HUGE changes in the video.

For the beginning portion of the trailer I suppressed all the gunshots and voices so it would not dull out the music and so it was more of an ambient background with the exception of the news reporters speaking.  I wanted their lines to be delivered powerfully and I wanted all the audio going on in the background to chill the viewer.  I think I was semi-successful in that department.  

Along with the news reporters I made many edits to them.  In Audacity I tweaked them for better quality, in Vegas I added in the effects.  One of the main focuses was making them sound like they were coming out of an old radio or out of a microphone at a press conference.  Each piece of audio was specially tuned to fit the setting.  Camera shutters in the background, gun shots firing, people screaming, it was all there to combine and fit each setting the viewer could create in their own minds.  That's what's great with audio.  You can give the concept of a picture for the viewer and they themselves get to paint it and watch it unravel.  Audio editing is by far amazing and I wish I pursued it long ago.

The sound effects I used for the audio effects are: Track EQ, ExpressFX Stutter, ExpressFX Reverb, Resonant Filter, and Reverb.  All are located in Sony Vegas.  In Audacity I didn't do much except cut out background audio and add in some base/treble for some of them.

a2fed990b3.png

In conclusion, editing is pretty dope.  It is hard to get started but like everything, you pay time to refine your skills.  I hope this thread was informative and if you have any questions about how to make an edit or about my trailer.  Feel free to ask.  I have been and always will be open to helping people.  Now it is time to thank the project team!

fb8f4220b2.png

3ff4fc34e8.png

Roosky    0

Holy shit Lemon....As much as you piss me off sometimes this is some quality material. Let's hope you win my man.

Rory    1560

Holy shit Lemon. good Job!

Diamond    0

Why did I know the screaming guy was rocka hahahahahaha. Awesome trailer man. You really put so mucoh into this thing you deserve it. Proud of you buddy.

Dusty    1576

I didn't realize how much stuff you actually had to do. Holy shit man. I would never have had that much creativity and patience for all of this. And to think, all that work went into a 2 minute video that looks absolutely amazing. Great job LemLem.

I didn't realize how much stuff you actually had to do. Holy shit man. I would never have had that much creativity and patience for all of this. And to think, all that work went into a 2 minute video that looks absolutely amazing. Great job LemLem.

I honestly did alot more.  I just didnt want to go over every detail, this is literally just the basics lol

Ellie    335

Mommy I'm famous!

Great stuff Lemon, loved your trailer and I'm amazed at the effort you've put into this.

1 month of tears and suffering

Famous    6

Well shit my dude, really amazing trailer. Hearing about your suffering as you made the trailer was quite entertaining but it turned out amazing.

Castiel    1124

Jesus, that's a lot of work. Hope it was all worth it for that fantastic trailer you came up with!

Jesus, that's a lot of work. Hope it was all worth it for that fantastic trailer you came up with!

Thing is there will always be something to improve and there is always something I could have done differently.  I can look through my trailer and think of slight change that would have benefited it far more.  Definitely in terms of timing.  

But it was worth it as it did refine my skills and I learned some new stuff.  It has been a long time since I have tried really hard in editing.

THREAD UPDATED

Preplanning has been update with the following to dice deeper into my thought process when starting the trailer.

"The beginning portion was specifically designed to fit the DayZRP lore.  I wanted a very IC feeling to give a chill.  The news reporters were my outlet for this.  They delivered the lore, the source of the outbreak, the CDF initiating protocol 62, a lot was packed in there.  Even when the CDF were overrun by infected as their gunshots only attracted more, it's all there.  

The second portion I wanted to focus on the outcome of humanity.  Darkness of man's heart took over and with it the world.  It is dark and it is unforgiving, this world these two characters are apart of.

I wanted one character to be a realist that realizes what is happening around him and chooses to adapt.

The second character is an idealist that is stuck in the past and his fear will lead to poor decisions that will only harm other humans.

Calm and collected logical thinking character, and his opposite, the terrified man in denial that cannot accept the new world.  How interesting."

Well done Loomin.

Trailer is amazing, better than the preview. The behind the scenes work is incredible, really shows how much you cared about this trailer.

Luckydente    21

Had a great time helping you out, from walking down a street to driving a car it was all amazing-ly entertaining and sometimes frustrating and I'm sure you've created a ton of fucking gifs from this shit. Awesome guide as well, :D

Had a great time helping you out, from walking down a street to driving a car it was all amazing-ly entertaining and sometimes frustrating and I'm sure you've created a ton of fucking gifs from this shit. Awesome guide as well, :D

lol you helped me months ago and I just reused that one scene.  You're a silly meme.

Luckydente    21

lol you helped me months ago and I just reused that one scene.  You're a silly meme.

Shh, dont ruin my moment.

I enjoyed throwing things in your shots.

<3 never forget infinite scooby accent