Server time: 2017-10-18, 15:07
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Love Nectar

Stream Chat Metagaming

Love Nectar    38

So this post if focused more on streaming dayzRP as a whole and not on myself specificaly as i have had no issues with this personally but have seen other casters for dayzRP have problems with it.

Ok so here is the lowdown, as we all know streaming as a whole has a huge impact on the promotion of games/people/communities due to this we should be happy to have community members enthusiastic about showing there audiance some great roleplay from our great community. That being said while streaming our RP can be fun for both the caster and the viewers sometimes it is hard to avoid having one or two rotten apples come into the chat and talk about IC actions or "Metagame" in the twitch chat. Now of course providing the caster does not use this information to his/her advantage this should cause no issues for our RP after all we are all guilty of talking about IC things with our friends in teamspeak OOC we just do not use it to our advantage.

Now moving on to the problem , some people do not seem to realise that a streamer cannot stop this chat metagame a lot of the time unless they want to commit twitch suicide and kill there viewerbase , so most of us (Myself included) read out the metagame comments in chat and politely say something like "I cant use that info bud sorry it would be metagaming" but also we sometimes joke around with our viewers and discuss the IC stuff. bare in mind anything said over the stream to the chat is all strictly OOC so it is not metagaming until the caster actually uses that information to there advantage. Unless you have solid proof that the caster gained the information from his chat you are simply causing petty squables with people who are trying to help promote our community.

That being said if the streamer does use information to gain a IC advantage that they gained from chat i completely agree with punishing them but most of the time this is not the case and you should view a streamer talking to there chat about RP no differently to how you would view (For example) me jumping into L.I.F.E coms in TS and talking about IC things.

In conclusion do not be afraid to stream dayzRP or put off by the rules around metagaming and OOC information just remember to keep IC and OOC seperate and you have done nothing wrong.

(I Apologize for any bad spelling or grammar i struggle with reading/writing)

Riggsee    0

I'm starting to adopt the strategy of better moderation and rules explaining what meta gaming is for those viewers who may be a bit confused. Maybe this can help some other people in the streaming community. Just a couple tips there.

Post    0

Umm, okay. I mean that is pretty well known. I don't really know what the point of this is, if it's regarding that report with Riggsee that issue is something different.

Love Nectar    38

I'm starting to adopt the strategy of better moderation and rules explaining what meta gaming is for those viewers who may be a bit confused. Maybe this can help some other people in the streaming community. Just a couple tips there.

It is not your job to keep metagame comments out of your chat, you simply need to ensure you do not use them to your advantage that is all. In all my time watching you i have always heard you telling people you cannot use any information given in chat.

On the subject of you specificaly as much as this post was sparked by your report it is a fear that could put off future streamers from casting the server.

Clumsy    226

To anyone coming to stream DayZRP if you are new I would be 100% when it comes to the rules. You have to be careful what you say and what you do in streams as it can be used against you if you break a rule. That's the risk you take when it comes to streaming DayZRP. Which is why ALOT of people stopped streaming it for awhile. Not only due to the stream snipping but also the metagaming that people take from your stream and use it to their advantage and it's almost impossible to prove. If someone comes into your chat and starts talking about IC information you can not use it. If you don't use it then you have nothing to worry about. However if you are caught using it or caught using information gathered OOCly then you can be punished and you've just recorded yourself breaking a rule.

Don't use it. You can ignore it or tell them you can't use it. Nothing more to say on the matter. If this has to do with a certain report it will be handled case by case.

Hatch    0

Of Course viewers are going to chat about IC stuff in the chat because when you stream on roleplaying servers you'll constantly creating a story. The chat are involved in this and are obviously going to talk about what's happening/happened, think of it as a going to watch a movie, when you come out the cinema you're going to talk about what you just watched.

I'm not sure where the discussion is here, it seems you've just explained what we already knew.

Melvin    84

As long as you do not use the infomation in game, there is no issue here really.

Sasha    0

Sure, it's another matter when people in the chat acknowledges and confirms they're doing something wrong though.

c76592062f.png

Since this thread is clearly about the report on Riggsee and the people in the screenshots. Other than that, works the same as metagaming over teamspeak. Doesn't matter if it's used, the person who conveyed it with the intention of it being used is still in fault. If the person who had it conveyed to them uses it they are also at fault. According to the screenshot above it seems it's been a regular thing that has been acknowledged by the parties involved as violating the rules, yet they've intentionally continued and only said they should do it in a more secret and harder to track way. That makes me think that staff will likely be able to find more information in Riggsees previous streams. Unless he removes them from the previous broadcasts.

If there's any evidence against Riggsee using it, that's another question entirely. Maybe not. But there's enough evidence there to check up a couple individuals from the chat itself.

Randle    928

Is this a thing? I thought discussions about on going reports weren't allowed?

Skinner    496

Yeah I think literally everybody is already on the same page here. I stream, too. If someone metagames in your chat, you as the streamer are not responsible and can't be punished for it, as long as you don't use that information to affect your IG actions.

Love Nectar    38

This post is about being careful not to put people off streaming the server and is not about an ongoing report so kindly drop the posts about riggsee on this thread. thank you.

Is this a thing? I thought discussions about on going reports weren't allowed?

This is not a discussion about a ongoing report? this is just a discussion about metagaming in twitch streams in general and to inform fellow casters of how they can avoid breaking rules. You made that jump all by yourself.

Harry    18

As long you use that info from the chat only as ooc info then there shouldnt be a problem. And some people will always either try to use the chat to their advantage or stream snipe you. The only thing you can do against it is making a report. However i know this can be stressfull at times.

Samaritan    344

Would it be possible to have a slight delay built into the stream so any moderators could snip any possible 'metagamed' comments before the streamer sees them? It would eliminate the possibility of streamers being accused of metagaming information from those viewing.

RedSky    123

I think I might have an idea to make this problem less pressing, however right now I need to leave for an 8 hour shifts at work.

I will post a suggestion thread later about this and explain what I have in mind.

However Wolfie it is true that what you bring up indeed is a problem for the 3 parties involved, Community, Streamer and stream community.

The solution would have to make sure none of these 3 parties would be harmed. That is why excessive moderation on the stream would never be a good solution.

Love Nectar    38

I think I might have an idea to make this problem less pressing, however right now I need to leave for an 8 hour shifts at work.

I will post a suggestion thread later about this and explain what I have in mind.

However Wolfie it is true that what you bring up indeed is a problem for the 3 parties involved, Community, Streamer and stream community.

The solution would have to make sure none of these 3 parties would be harmed. That is why excessive moderation on the stream would never be a good solution.

I would love to hear your solution red , im sure the majority of us in the community would love to have more people streaming and promoting the server, i for one try my best to host/watch the other dayzRP streams whenever i get a chance but sometimes i do see the chat attempting to metagame. i guess my main fear is that as much as people in this thread have said "we know this" i do not think everyone does fully understand when it comes to the do's and dont's of streaming RP and this could scare away potential casters from joining us or promoting us.

Sofie    0

It is good that you stream and promote the community Wolfie. Many don't even attempt streaming roleplay because their every move can be judged and they can easily be metagame by their viewers. It is also a slow playstyle without much action, so getting a growing viewer base from it is rare. Perhaps making a guide on streaming roleplay on the servers could motivate people and make them feel more secure that they are doing nothing that would get them in trouble or harm their channel.

-snip-

This right here.

Undead    313

* shrug* I love talking about in game events that I could have no idea on my characters . I see absolutely no issue with people discussing things in chat as long as the information isn't going to be used in game on either side. (except in the cast in which one party gives information with the intent of it being used in game ). People just need to learn the difference between ooc and IC information it's not hard really.

Bran    0

I would just say have admins in your chat that either know the rules of the server (would be best) or have access to the rules (everyone does) so they can just ban the comments that could be deemed metagaming. This could possibly clear up a few problems (not all).

Thats mainly why I try and avoid streaming DayZRP

Nolan    0

I mean so long as you don't actually use that information it's chill, and is easy enough to do and prove since you're recording 24/7. If people in your chat metagame information off you, you wont be held responsible and that would be their own fault for not knowing the rules. I wouldn't really worry.

Karma    167

I used to do alot of streaming of various games, i streamed quite a bit in ARK but sadly people would metagame everything from conversations to base locations and after someone decided to use the metagamed information and ruin a base that took two weeks to build I just stopped streaming alltogeather i had wanted to Stream DayZRP but Honestly im worried about the metagamers who will end up comeing and ruining it.