Server time: 2017-08-19, 20:16

Sign in to follow this  
Smau

Recently finished one of my drawings, what do you think?

Hagger    117

Moved to offtopic

Mercy    493

Woah! That's amazing! You have great talent! Keep up the amazing work!!!

Smau    8

Woah! That's amazing! You have great talent! Keep up the amazing work!!!

Thank you! :)

Awesome drawing dude.

Many thanks! :D

Smau    8

That is pretty damn great! :D

Your signature is great :D

Smau    8

That is pretty damn great! :D

Your signature is great :D

I must admit, my photoshop skills are off the charts.

I don't know how to use photoshop all I do is draw by hand since this is the best way to train your hand.

Smau    8

Absolutely fantastic! How long have you been practicing art?

4 years.

i mean its alright

Holy-! Did you have something to look at?

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

Nice.

I was an art student for years. Do you mind a critique of some things I see? Overall its fantasic..but I see two points for you to work on

Smau    8

Holy-! Did you have something to look at?

Yes, there was a horse made out of gypsum which I used as an example.

Keira    1024

Nice sketch, I can appreciate your shading and attention to value in shading. I would suggest maybe adding some charcoal, going over the darkest parts with willow or vine charcoal and then using a kneaded eraser to make the whitest areas 'pop.'

Just out of curiosity, are you learning to sight measure in your drawing class? I used to use Skewers that are used for cooking for my sight measuring, it's a very helpful too and can help with proportions. Keep practicing and don't ever stop, you're coming along great <3

Also anatomy books and reference images! I had to do a sketch with a cow in it for a print making project, I drew several different cows and in different positions until I had their anatomy right and proportional how I wanted. I did end up exaggerating their legs for the purpose of the subject matter (I was trying to represent an Earthquake) and the harmony within the concept and composition of the piece.

Smau    8

I was an art student for years. Do you mind a critique of some things I see? Overall its fantasic..but I see two points for you to work on

Sure go ahead :D

I never mind if, I can learn something use-full.

Nice sketch, I can appreciate your shading and attention to value in shading. I would suggest maybe adding some charcoal, going over the darkest parts with willow or vine charcoal and then using a kneaded eraser to make the whitest areas 'pop.'

Just out of curiosity, are you learning to sight measure in your drawing class? I used to use Skewers that are used for cooking for my sight measuring, it's a very helpful too and can help with proportions. Keep practicing and don't ever stop, you're coming along great <3

You can't use any measuring tools except for your pencil which you use to see if the proportions are correct and the whole drawing had to be done with pencils and rubbers, no other tools like you've suggested, still thanks for the advice! <3

Also recently started practicing calligraphy.

Keira    1024

Sure go ahead :D

I never mind if, I can learn something use-full.

You can't use any measuring tools except for your pencil which you use to see if the proportions are correct and the whole drawing had to be done with pencils and rubbers, no other tools like you've suggested, still thanks for the advice! <3

Also recently started practicing calligraphy.

Ah I see, trying to get you used to your materials. I found charcoal to be much easier to work with than graphite and the others. I would first use powdered charcoal to set my paper, smoothing it around all over so I had a nice medium tone to work on. After that, the charcoal would just sort of glide over the paper so smoothly! And then it was easy to build up or remove value with a kneaded/rubber/gum eraser. For a few really white areas I used a white pastel to make them stand out.

I would love to see some of your calligraphy! Are you using a bamboo nib or something else? India ink? www.Dickblick.com had a sale on ink not too long ago! Being left handed, it's hard for me to do calligraphy without smudging... I am not patient enough for it at all.

ea2d1e237e.jpg

Here your foreshadowing is a bit off. The front leg apears to behind the back leg.

5fa1244a73.jpg

Here your proportions are a bit off, making the leg appear shorter and angled.

Easy fixes.

GaryCash    23

Pretty amazing, you are gifted

Smau    8

ea2d1e237e.jpg

Here your foreshadowing is a bit off. The front leg apears to behind the back leg.

5fa1244a73.jpg

Easy fixes.

Thank your for noting the first and the second one, now I would like to tell you the reason for both.

1st) Drew the whole thing and started the shading, when I was half way through I noticed that the leg in in the second plan opposite of what it really had to be and the cause was me not taking the proper stand back to view the whole image, I'm that kind of a person that loves working and the details and because of that the leg went off...

2nd) The leg was well put there, but you say that it's wrong, I had no other way, but to draw it the way it was, It's because I took a tricky angle to draw the horse from and that resulted in the rear leg to look tricky. Still thank your for your time noting my mistakes, looking forward in not making the same mistakes in the future, but what, I can say now is that I hope you have a wonderful day/evening and continue on drawing or anything that there is that you're doing, as-long as it lets your express your-self.

Sincerely

Smau.

ea2d1e237e.jpg

5fa1244a73.jpg

Easy fixes.

1 more thing I forgot to ask, would there be a possible way of reviewing your artwork?

P.S I promise no criticism. :D