Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:39
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  

DayZ RP Map Problems

Ok so after Rolle and the Staff implemented the map, i taught it was a great ideea,  and it would fit perfectly, but after seeing how everyone would put markers about the past groups and stuff like that, it became more than irellavant, i know it might be an unpopular oppinion but the old location markers that are put there for past groups should be removed, and let the markers that actually have present places and locations for the groups, so people would actually know what's going on, i get it that everyone wants to be nostalgic about it, but if it continues like that no one will look at the map ever again, because it will be only colourfull markers everywhere.I can't be the only one that thinks that.Give me your oppinions on it.

Commissar    119

You bring up a valid point. Maybe you are right, only current active groups should have markers. But at the same time, these other markers belonging to past groups have history in the country. Even though they might not be there any more, people still remember then, and even though the community members are not playing those characters or groups, they still technically exist in our universe. Its a tricky one. I would agree that maybe for cluttering issues to only have active groups allowed to use the map for markers, but at the same time, I wouldnt like to remove the history of these groups and the impact that they made, and seeing as you can use the map for IC information, it could be good RP for people to go to these places and treat it as a memorial ground almost, you know, people used to live here, but for reasons unknown they are no longer here.

Oliv    1887

I think to an extent, old markers are important. Just because something may no longer be active doesn't mean it is still not referred to in the same way. Now, that being said, I think current markers should take priority. It would be nice if the markers could be appended in some way, to add on to an existing marker. I've yet to see if that can be done, but would be a nice solution.

Hex    31

I agree and disagree.

First off, as someone who never really uses the map but have wanted something like that for a long time back in the day, I want to start by saying the map should be a more front-page thing, opening the websites main page should open the map as well or something like that, showing people that 'hey this is here for you to use' instead of people stumbling across it.

Onto the topic at hand, yes people should be allowed to mark and keep their markings, but in my opinion markings that have no current relevance ( be it the group has disbanded, people dont play that character or whatever ) then they should get smaller icons, allowing current places to be understood better.

Grimnir    662

I agree to pretty much everything said here. I see why past groups should be allowed to have their markers, but at the same time it's just one hell of a clusterfuck right now.

Maybe and option to hide everything but markers of active groups, so you could switch between all markers and current markers? I don't know how hard that would be, just an idea.

Nihoolious    1248

I'm a fan of old makers and locations being marked as it is a part of DayZRP's history and it should be recorded and not forgotten. That being said, with the current map markers and areas that belonged to old groups are occupying space that could be used for future and current groups. Like what Grimnir said, some sort way to toggle marks from old groups on and off or just separate maps for present and past DayZRP.

The Buddha    24

Realistically, there would be both old and new maps lying around Chernarus. Older maps with the older groups, newer maps with those that have come since. Logically it would make no sense to have old groups on "the map", unless no one has bothered to update any maps since the old groups were on. They would at least be scored out. so realistically maps would be updated, especially any on notice boards ect, old names scored out and new ones added. The map isn't really there for nostalgia reasons, it's a tool to help survivors. It should be updated.

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndI9vkgw_1Y

It's a map not a bunch or 'member berries

Shanoby    63

Realistically, there would be both old and new maps lying around Chernarus. Older maps with the older groups, newer maps with those that have come since. Logically it would make no sense to have old groups on "the map", unless no one has bothered to update any maps since the old groups were on. They would at least be scored out. so realistically maps would be updated, especially any on notice boards ect, old names scored out and new ones added. The map isn't really there for nostalgia reasons, it's a tool to help survivors. It should be updated.

-snip video-

MEMEB.jpg

It's a map not a bunch or 'member berries

Fixed it for you :)

On serious note, agreed, map is too cluttered. I liked the suggestion of toggle map markers: 1) current 2) history...

Though I dislike the map all together, but as long as it is here, lets make it better.

Vicious    1

Should just have two 'filters' of some kind. 'See current markers' and 'See all markers' or something like that.

Keira    1472

Sounds like we would need some kind of way to classify old markers then, maybe some options or check boxes for these options when creating a marker so they get labeled correctly when being filtered. I would not be opposed to this, but I am also not sure how difficult it would be for Rolle to code a feature like this.

The Buddha    24

Ha ha ha Love it Shanoby.

Granted, in all truthfulness, the maps would all have different information, since it would be updated by so many different people as and when they came across the maps. If they were so inclined to do so. So it would be impossible to have a perfect representation of a realistic map. With so many variables.

So in all honesty, the map should be a more up to date version. Since there is no way of knowing what information would be on what map in a certain location, you would have to assume it would have all the most recent information. After all, that is really the only information that is relevant to the purpose of the map.

Cow    0

Should just have two 'filters' of some kind. 'See current markers' and 'See all markers' or something like that.

Personally I like this suggestion, some sort of overlay perhaps? A toggle for old member berry style map so people can have their precious information up there as a sort of history and a current set up with groups and people that might actually matter to the current climate of the community.

Harry    18

I dont see a problem with the old markers really, the only thing that annoys me is that some markers are on the exact location which makes it hard to click on some of them. But i think the old markers should stay as they bring up old story's and more potiental for rp.

Castiel    1124

This would be good. That way you could see all historical groups if you wanted, but on first glance it would only be current and active markers. Avoids things like people going to Zelenogorsk thinking anyone is still settled there.

Why not make differently sized markers?

Smaller markers only visible if you zoom in close enough for that which belongs in the past yeh?

graves, abandoned locations that were popular in the past etc. could therefore be smaller whilst big markers that everyone knows like "Jamestown" remain bigger and more official?

DocofPinewood    34

I agree its getting a little clutter do to memory lane. I think only active stuff should be on it, even if that means my dear Pinewood mark has to go away.

The ideea of having checks to switch between old memory lane markers, and active markers, should be the way to go like the others said.

I mean i know its important for a lot of people, and it should be, but then you won't have any ideea what is actually going on, either sides.

Or we can go and asks the developers to add Takistan aswell, and all will be good for a year or so :))

Hollows    457

I disagree. As the former leader of a year and a half (Nearly) group, I enjoy the thought of what we did to be remembered through the map. Sure we might not be around anymore, but then it just becomes added lore to the DayZRP community. If someone/something else decides to inhabit the location we used to, then they can integrate their pins with ours. It isn't nostalgia, it's history and expanding the lore for more storylines to branch out of. We don't have a Community Wikia (I suggested it, though it was strongly opposed), so there isn't another way to document the past beyond the memories of the players whom were around to experience it.

As for your statement of 'So everyone knows what is going on,' is kind of metagaming tbh because your character wouldn't / couldn't take what you see on the website IG unless you've encountered the people belonging to said locations - Then by this method you wouldn't need the community map because you already know where to go and who is where.

Shanoby    63

-snip-

nvm...missread

Roosky    0

I like the idea of making it an option that you can toggle, I feel like that would keep it at the balance everyone wants.

Plank    0

Personally I like this suggestion, some sort of overlay perhaps? A toggle for old member berry style map so people can have their precious information up there as a sort of history and a current set up with groups and people that might actually matter to the current climate of the community.

Well lookie here.  A thread is made with a valid concern, and people actually come up with a great solution! :)

Well lookie here.  A thread is made with a valid concern, and people actually come up with a great solution! :)

I heard a lot of my friends talking about it, but not one of them wanted to make a thread, so im happy that i started the thread and see that people are trying to solve it , its quite beautifull!

jason hunter    61

I couldn't agree more.

If the "old" map markers don't get removed then it would just become a colorfull mess, and as we all know...nobody likes that.

Diamond    0

I think old map markers should be removed after another group "claims" or takes it via war, trade etc. all done via rolle and in character. If the markers would overlap or just have one marker with a timeline, with the time frame of when this group owned the town and what happened etc and how they lost it or a war etc etc, THIS would be awesome.