Server time: 2017-08-18, 20:23

Sign in to follow this  

Organ Donation

Hello community, Fox here.

Due to some recent events (and watching Angel Beats, damn you for giving me feels) I was thinking about filling out the small card and signing up as an organ donor. For everyone, who doesn't know what this would mean: After your medically determined death the still intact organs of your body would be extracted and donated to people in need of a organ donation, e.g. kidneys, heart and other vital organs. Today I got myself the card and I was thinking more about the topic, especially about pros and cons, and I couldn't really find any cons other than that you don't want your body to be stripped of the useful organs after your medically determined death out of personal believes or religious reasons. 

I think it's a topic everybody should be thinking about and that as soon as possible. My family and friends don't have any experience with needing donations, but I'm sure one of you guys has and might even share it with the rest of the community.

I've been thinking about this topic for a while and was interested in what the community had to say about it. Are you a organ donor? Have you already donated or have you been donated to, perhaps? What do you see as pros and cons?

As stated on my driver's license, I'm an organ donor. I'm healthy enough to not have needed anything myself not have I given anything out, but when the time comes that I croak, I have no need for it anymore. If it can help someone else after that, then I'm more than happy to do it.

Mercy    490

I would like to be an organ donor if I wasn't such a wimp. Even the thought of me being cut up and have something taken out of me freaks me the fudge out. But I give kudos to those who are brave enough to be organ donors. It's a big thing now-a-days and whoever had those otherr donated organs would be appreciating it more than anything.

Yeah I'm an organ donor. If someone needs my kit for survival after I am gone, fuck it. I won't need it anyway

Oliv    1550

I thought about it for a long time, and I made the decision when I renewed my license and health card last year to become an organ donor. At my wifes request, the only thing I said they shouldn't take is my eyes. It took a lot for me to get her to be ok with my decision, and maybe one day I can change her mind on the eyes thing too.

I regularly donate blood as well. Having family members go through serious health issues puts things like not needing a kidney when I die into perspective.

Yeah when I stop being lazy and get my license I'll sign up for being an organ donor. Only thing that scares me is that doctors might start picking me apart before they've tried every avenue of saving me but thats probably a useless worry.

But yah I'd donate an organ or twenty when I croak, why not?

I'm an organ donor, however my lungs are a no-go due to 9 years of heavily smoking cigarettes. I'm also donating my eyes! :3

Wumby shall donate his organs to anyone who needs them. But the blood donating is a negative, freshman year of high school I had emergency surgery to have a tumor removed from me neck, a large mass of lymphoma cells.

Absolutely. I am 100% for giving any organs from my body to those in need when I bite the dust. I have no need for it anymore. I don't think I'm going to kill over anytime soon so haven't bothered to look into it much more, though who knows. I don't have any limitations that would impede me from being an organ donor but I do smoke and drink frequently and excessively.

Have donated blood but it's not like hospitals are going to run out of A+ at the moment so it's not a regular thing for me.

Wumby shall donate his organs to anyone who needs them. But the blood donating is a negative, freshman year of high school I had emergency surgery to have a tumor removed from me neck, a large mass of lymphoma cells.

I can't give blood since I get tattooed fairly regularly.  They won't let you give blood within a year of getting tattooed.  :(

I can't give blood since I get tattooed fairly regularly.  They won't let you give blood within a year of getting tattooed.  :(

Thats a shame. :(

Phoenix    1046

I would like to be an organ donor if I wasn't such a wimp. Even the thought of me being cut up and have something taken out of me freaks me the fudge out. But I give kudos to those who are brave enough to be organ donors. It's a big thing now-a-days and whoever had those otherr donated organs would be appreciating it more than anything.

But you'd be dead... so does it really matter if they'd cut you up? nrly. you wouldn't care if you're dead.

I'm an organ donor, if I have no use for something anymore, I'd give it away to someone who needs it in a heart beat.

Mercy    490

But you'd be dead... so does it really matter if they'd cut you up? nrly. you wouldn't care if you're dead.

Other people have different mindsets. Most are not bothered since they are dead. But it's different with me, I don't know why. May be stupid for some but when you have a phobia which consists of not able to donate blood, not wanting surgery etc it kind of fucks you up on that side. You may be dead and that's what sucks since my mindset isn't like that. 

But again I give props to everyone here who are organ donors, makes me feel bad but it really isn't my fault that I can't help it. :)

As stated on my driver's license, I'm an organ donor. I'm healthy enough to not have needed anything myself not have I given anything out, but when the time comes that I croak, I have no need for it anymore. If it can help someone else after that, then I'm more than happy to do it.

You are a true pillar of humanity <3

I'm an organ donor, if I have no use for something anymore, I'd give it away to someone who needs it in a heart beat.

No pun intended.. sorry

No pun intended.. sorry

Pun intended :troll:

As most of the people above have said I too am and organ donor. We're all going into the same type of hole and our organs will deteriorate. Don't see why anyone would be against it tbh. It'll all just rot away after a few years. Might as well put that body to work.

Keira    1013

I've had surgery recently and a very rare blood disorder also runs in my family and that leaves me unable to donate. My mother (age 46) currently needs a lung and possibly a kidney depending how her treatments go and once my other health concerns are taken care of (and once she finally quits smoking..) we will begin testing if I am a possible candidate for her.

Joules    226

Looks like we got a lot of organ doners here... I on the other hand am one of the selfish people who hasn't agreed to it. The concept freaks me out. If I'm going to be perfectly honest, my "funeral" plans WAAAYYYY in the future (if I can find a way to make it work finance wise) is to be cryonically preserved. If it works with future tech, then HEY I'm alive, and if it doesn't well not much changed because I'm dead either way.

Having my bits and pieces cut out of me would probably not bode well with that.

I've had surgery recently and a very rare blood disorder also runs in my family and that leaves me unable to donate. My mother (age 46) currently needs a lung and possibly a kidney depending how her treatments go and once my other health concerns are taken care of (and once she finally quits smoking..) we will begin testing if I am a possible candidate for her.

That's really admirable that you would donate an organ to your parent. Good fucking shit, that makes me proud even though I don't know you irl. Good fucking job, you are a great person. Just made my day.

SpaceCowboy    226

I'm an organ donor. If I'm dead I'm not using them and hope someone in need of my kidney or heart or something would use them :)

You are a true pillar of humanity <3

I plan on leaving the same way I lived. A heartless bastard.

Keira    1013

That's really admirable that you would donate an organ to your parent. Good fucking shit, that makes me proud even though I don't know you irl. Good fucking job, you are a great person. Just made my day.

Honestly I just really hope more than anything she is able to quit her addiction and let her body heal so she can stay in my life. You only get one mom, and I need her very much still.