Server time: 2017-10-19, 12:56
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Boston

Misplaying your character?

Boston    772

I've found that over the past few days, I've played my character a bit more edgy/overly serious and less casual/DGAF. The basis of my character is that he's sarcastic and doesn't really care about much, but after playing him a while, I seem to have lost the basis and focus.

Has this ever happened to you? What have you done to combat it?

Discuss away.

Frosty    0

Oh of coarse. When I play Scottie I play very happy for some reason, and then I play very sadly. I have no Idea why I do it, but when I catch myself I just remember what my character would do/act.

This happens to me on many characters Boston, so I know where you're coming from.

LoneStarrr    84

Personally, I've had this issue multiple times. My character has had times where he was both very happy or very depressed. Throughout RPing either of these mindsets, there were times where I could not effectively RP either one. There have been times where I was accidentally giving off more of a joyful vibe in a moment where serious IC events had just occurred that would result in my character being very saddened, however, I could just not portray it correctly due to my mood OOC. And there have been times where it was just the opposite.

I've not really found a way to combat this other than just stepping back and taking a break from RP. I would love to see the way others handle it as well.

isocade    90

While personally I try to turn that misplay into character development, I definitely have suffered it a lot.

DayZRP is very difficult for me to play because of my playstyle, which is usually juggling multiple characters (up to 8 - 12 at a time) within a few hours. Very quick, story-rich encounters is how I tend to do most roleplay, since I used to do DnD style (in which I both GM'd and played at the same time) or I would play on a serious Gmod RP server (OpenAura, Clockwork. Almost all of my characters are developed off those engines). I can't juggle characters in DayZRP because it requires multiple voices, reconnects to change the name (as opposed to just loading a different one while in-game like in Gmod), or having to die and respawn in order to play a female character or a male character, et cetera.

Were it so easy, my suggestion to combat it, as I've done in the past multiple times, is to change character to a completely different personality in order to retrain your focus and thoughts onto something else. I personally believe that losing the basis and focus of a character is a subconscious attempt at battling repetition, so what I do is change it up a bit. Go from someone who is sarcastic and apathetic to someone who is very helpful, vocal, bombastic and cheerful. It means a world of difference, sharpens your mind akin to training it for something else, and definitely helps in stopping you from getting bored.

Nihoolious    1248

When one of my characters starts heading in that direction, I play an alt for a bit and then come back refreshed. Generally works for me but this hasn't happened too many times so not sure how effective it will be.

Strider    0

I mean the personality of your character could've evolved/changed a little since you started playing him depending on everything that happened. People don't stay the same forever.

Jetwells    0

Nothing worse than me doing my chernarussian character and I slip into a Scouse or Irish accent, not good at all, funny, but I bet some people have been hella confused. Just a quick pause to laugh, recompose then try again.

Noxious    136

I feel like its normal sometimes to slip out of your characters normal ways. If its acting different or putting on a little bit of a weirder accent. The challenge is to try and stay in that character all of the time. :)

Mr. night    4

Honestly I feel like the morbid dark playing style is what I like more, but not many people play like that only very few, usually people are happy/DGAF like u described, and I feel like that has rubbed off on my character as too many people around me influence sometimes on how my character behaves and it generally throws me off guard, if I feel thrown off I usually play some music that sets the tone for my character while, going for a walk somewhere quiet. That's just be because I want the apocalyptic feel but hey cant control everyone, a shame. :)

Joules    274

I've had this occur to me semi-frequently for the longest time here. I'm only now starting to get a grasp on it, so that any misplay that happens is usually minor and can be attributed to character development, or a natural reaction to a situation. Every situation is different, so you might get different reactions.

For instance, my last main had a huge issue with gunshots if they didn't know the origin of them. Then there was one time where I didn't really know the origin of the gunshots hitting near me, but I had a general idea, so I misplayed the situation and walked around a compound singing while being shot at. I attributed this to having a slight idea of where I was getting shot from, and trying to raise morale of the people near me. Was my character scared shitless? Yeah probably, but I misplayed it. That was probably the last time I've had a major misplay as of late. All others can just be character development

Nolan    0

On Tomas Benes, my Chernarussian character, I occasionally had him more happy/friendly/goofy than he is - at this point he's more of a grumpy asshole. Only really happened on isolated RP sessions and I went back to normal afterwards. On my French FFL character I forgot how to do the accent at one point so I just stopped playing lol.

Mazer    5

I've gone for kind of gruff, badass, tough characters who fight zealously for a cause but end up being extremely friendly/accepting and doing nothing like I envisioned at all which is upset, and I found myself swapping a lot so I missed out on character development and they were all foreign/had accents.

So my new main character, Lewis Barrack, is very much me now. Using my own voice just acting like I would, basically it's just my reactions and talking naturally as it comes, nothing forced. He's from where I'm from, same features(hair colour, eyes etc) and personality/interests. Similar name too :P I'm finding it really enjoyable and easygoing. Having a great time so far.

CorbSlayer    44

I think it really comes down to who you are around. If you are around people who take it easy and don't give a fuck, then i would assume you would be more likely to act the same way. But if you are around people who are more tense, serious and edgy, you are more likely to act similarly.

I have had this issue with a few characters and it can be hard getting them back on track. The best thing to do is just grind back into your old mindset if you are dissatisfied with how you are playing your character. I have had to do this a few times.

Just my thoughts:)

RedSky    123

The way I fix it is by watching a series with a main character that closely resemblence some hevaiour patrens of my character so I get back in to it together with some theatrical music. But hey that might just be because I like method acting.

Sofie    0

I have the problem where I let my mood display trough my character. If I'm having a great day, where I feel like talking a lot my character is a lot happier than she should be. While if I'm having a shitty week, I would struggle to play a happy and friendly character.

The way I fix it is by watching a series with a main character that closely resemblence some hevaiour patrens of my character so I get back in to it together with some theatrical music. But hey that might just be because I like method acting.

This is a great tip! I usually have music while I play. Different playlists for every situation.

Post    0

Teamspeak doesn't help immersion, and if anything it heavily alters it. Not to boast but right now I'm loving the UN group, it's using all walkie-talkies in game, and it's very serious. I think though a lot of it comes from the top down, leaders of groups have to set an example and luckily the people in charge are very serious.

I think people need to distance themselves from the social aspect OOC and focus IC.

Love Nectar    38

As much as the basis for summer is her optimistic view on life i find her slipping into the darkness from time to time based on current events around her, i feel this is normal for people in such drastic situations its hard to keep your emotions in one place, unless your character has a overwhelming mental issue causing them to act a certain way i feel change of mood is perfectly acceptable for anyone.

Harry    18

I know what you mean, for me its sometimes hard to remember how my character would act as i sometimes caught myself on beign more myself then the character if that makes any sense :) So it can take alot of pratice to find out how you're character would react to certain situations instead of yourself reacting to it. But ofcourse this is different for everyone this is mainly just for myself.

Dead End    13

This is why I don't voice-RP most of the time. Simply because when I use my voice to convey my character's feelings, it never goes well because I'm a shit voice actor. The reason I like text-RP so much is because your RP and what you say is up for interpretation. In my eyes, this gives a lot more freedom on what you can convey through your character without mucking it up. But I like what RedSky above said; watch a show or movie that you may have based your character's behaviors off of. Essentially revitalize what it means to be your character.

Davos    5

I think it happens to everyone. But strictly speaking, I don't feel that you misplayed him per say though. If you think about it, everyone goes through moods were for a period of time you are going to react differently to things, especially based on events around you. Cheery, comical people hit down points just like anyone else. The goal is to bring it back when you are with people you recognize.

My suggestion is to take time before you start playing and imagine yourself as your character and try to imagine that feeling of carefree indifference that you based him on. Maybe write down a couple of reminders on a notecard and tape it to the top of your monitor with a few notes or quips that remind you of who you are playing to draw you back into character.

Keira    1450

Don't let it discourage you Boston! Your character will develop and change and grow in different ways from different experiences. It's alright so long as you are not completely breaking character and doing things that do not seem reasonable for your character.

The Buddha    24

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, hell I used to do it before, but when you have alts, well, that's where things get messy. It's harder to focus on several lives. Look at like the people who live double lives, people with two families, people in undercover or assume a new identity for espionage.. Even serial killers. It can cause added stress, which is never good for the human brain. But there will come a point where mistakes will be made and one of the other "lives" be it yours or another characters will bleed through.

A way to help combat this, is to use a trigger item for each character. Something small you can keep by your computer. When you look at the item, say for example a figure, a plush toy, model car.... anything that has some kind of connection with a specific character. It's a good plan to take 10 minutes before playing a character to sit and look at this item, while you do, get into the mindset of your character. do this for each item for each character, but only when about to play that character. Still with me so far?

In time, maybe as little as 2-3 times doing this, your mind will link that object to that character. this will help you, if you feel yourself slipping, looking at the trigger item will help you regain focus on who you are playing. even a glance might be able to sort you out.

It's a bit like the music other people use.

But personally, I don't do alts, like I said, it creates stress having to switch lives like that, life causes enough of that shit without creating more ourselves. But hey, if that's your thing, that's your thing. I just find if you focus on one character, then there is so much less that can go wrong.

My record is playing 8 different characters at the same time with different people, and myself, in chat rp. Now that is some stressful shit.

Billy    0

I wouldn't think of it as misplaying but more as your character just changing based on the people he hangs around with. You're bound to start acting like your peers from being around them long enough.

iBUYCHOWDER    67

With my charactr he acts very passive and friendly to everyone he meets and if their is a situation he talks it about and aboslutely makes sure no means of violence breaks out. But lately with issues Braum has been more agressive in his procedures and now ahs paid the price and now palying him as he is re-evaluating on whats he needs to do.

DatBlueWolf    39

I would consider it sort of natural character development. A more believable character is one that is capable of more than just one mode of behavior (Opinion).

Example: The always super chill hippy dude finally snaps and gets royally pissed at someone.