Server time: 2017-08-22, 17:01

Sign in to follow this  

Shortening the cooldown on creating group ideas

I like to think of myself as a lover of trying everything everything at least once. I'm a creative at heart and the best method of brainstorming is throwing ideas to the wall and seeing what sticks. So far I've twice gone through the process of writing up lore and creating what was hopefully a somewhat original idea, and I find that I am just too excited about this new idea to have to wait a month to get the ball rolling!

What I'm proposing is simple - reduce the cooldown on creating or leading a group to two weeks. I don't think its fair to sit through a cooldown to try my hand at another group idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I stupid, and if so, for what reasons?

Thanks for reading and I'd love to hear your feedback.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    752

I think it's best to have the cooldown to develop your group so you can put up a finished idea next, it also means that you have time to see if anyone is interested in it prior to posting the idea.

-1 from me.

I don't create groups very often so this does not affect me in the slightest, but if someone who makes actually good group Ideas, than I see no issue with shortening the timeframe.

+1/2 ?

I think it's best to have the cooldown to develop your group so you can put up a finished idea next, it also means that you have time to see if anyone is interested in it prior to posting the idea.

-1 from me.

Right! I agree! But do you think that the amount of time required to develop an idea is a month? I think two weeks is plenty time.

But I definitely see where you're coming from, seeing half-baked ideas on the group forum wouldn't be good to see at all. Thanks Dom :)

I'm not a group leader type of person so this doesn't affect me, but I don't think the cooldown is necessary. If you can come up with a new fully developed idea/thread in a week instead of taking a whole month, then why the fuck not. I don't see the problem tbh.

Joules    230

I understand the sentiment that you have with the general idea of removing a group cool down, but I'm not sure if I agree with it or not.

Having this cool down is crucial I think to allow for time to flesh out future ideas. Remember, you can always have someone else in the group post the group idea and still be the leader/coleader/fish. So if you already have a fleshed out idea then that is an option you can take.

Otherwise, I might be willing to accept a reduction from one month to three weeks on the timer.

so +.25-.5 for me on this suggestion.

I understand the sentiment that you have with the general idea of removing a group cool down, but I'm not sure if I agree with it or not.

Having this cool down is crucial I think to allow for time to flesh out future ideas. Remember, you can always have someone else in the group post the group idea and still be the leader/coleader/fish. So if you already have a fleshed out idea then that is an option you can take.

Otherwise, I might be willing to accept a reduction from one month to three weeks on the timer.

so +.25-.5 for me on this suggestion.

I sneakily edited my post because I definitely think at least some time is necessary to cool down, see why a group failed, take the steps necessary to make sure it doesn't fail again, and develop a new and unique idea and lore aound it.

But I think a month is a bit overkill. I think two weeks is perfect, three weeks ain't bad either. Thank you for your feedback :)

Castiel    1124

Meh, a month is not too long. It's a good amount of time imo to make sure your idea is ready and the lore is developed enough to be posted. Sure, some people are quicker but all it means is waiting a while longer to further improve the group. This means you could even post it as [ACTIVE] and skip the [WIP] stage altogether.

William    398

I would agree, I think moving it down to 2 weeks is fair.

+1

No thanks. Keep it the way it is.

The whole reason it was put in place is that if people wish to create an idea to have it become an official group (from staff's side) ensure people can stick to an actual idea. I know in the past there were some people who were putting up ideas every other day. Create a thread, wait a day, archive ... rinse and repeat. Take the time to play dynamically and ensure it's something you want to stick with, rather than playing and a week later realizing you wanna go with a different character or a different route. I think the rule presently works well as is, and fail to see a reason to change it. Any shorter, and people would throw up a new idea every week (or two). Any longer and it's just excessive. Use the month to develop your group IG, and work on the thread in the meantime, waiting until the month is over to post. By the time it's posted, you know exactly what the group can do, what it's about, and how it all works together. Then from that point, it should only be a week or so before you get feedback and/or approved/denied.

No thanks. Keep it the way it is.

The whole reason it was put in place is that if people wish to create an idea to have it become an official group (from staff's side) ensure people can stick to an actual idea. I know in the past there were some people who were putting up ideas every other day. Create a thread, wait a day, archive ... rinse and repeat. Take the time to play dynamically and ensure it's something you want to stick with, rather than playing and a week later realizing you wanna go with a different character or a different route. I think the rule presently works well as is, and fail to see a reason to change it. Any shorter, and people would throw up a new idea every week (or two). Any longer and it's just excessive. Use the month to develop your group IG, and work on the thread in the meantime, waiting until the month is over to post. By the time it's posted, you know exactly what the group can do, what it's about, and how it all works together. Then from that point, it should only be a week or so before you get feedback and/or approved/denied.

You raise a lot of good points but the reason I posted this thread is because I believe the only way to recruit for this group idea specifically is OOCly, as the premise is to have the vast majority of the group members coming from Iceland. What better way to advertise the group than by a group thread?

I still think two weeks is plenty of time to get the actual idea developed and then while the idea sits in group ideas we can get people interested, recruit OOCly, and then take the idea in-game and see if it works.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your feedback :)

You raise a lot of good points but the reason I posted this thread is because I believe the only way to recruit for this group idea specifically is OOCly, as the premise is to have the vast majority of the group members coming from Iceland. What better way to advertise the group than by a group thread?

I still think two weeks is plenty of time to get the actual idea developed and then while the idea sits in group ideas we can get people interested, recruit OOCly, and then take the idea in-game and see if it works.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your feedback :)

Well, if you have someone in mind already to help you with the group and you trust them, then you could have them post it and host it until your cooldown is over. Just an alternate solution, and how some groups often do it.

edit: Additionally, I've seen people post rough ideas in General Discussion to get some early feedback, and I would only imagine that also helps attract potential members.

Joules    230

I forgot to say, one other approach you can take is to pull a New World Mafia v2 and play dynamically, but post a thread in the lore and stories section which I suppose "simulates" a group page for advertisement purposes. Dynamic is by far less stress, and it allows for more RPtunities, like how the Enigmas worked with the NWM v2. It would never have worked as well if both of us had official group page status.

Phoenix    1058

No cause people would just be creating a group after another without sticking to one. it puts more work on the loremasters and it's also not needed, make one group and stick to it. and then wait a month to create a new one if you archive it. I recon it's good the way it is.

I forgot to say, one other approach you can take is to pull a New World Mafia v2 and play dynamically, but post a thread in the lore and stories section which I suppose "simulates" a group page for advertisement purposes. Dynamic is by far less stress, and it allows for more RPtunities, like how the Enigmas worked with the NWM v2. It would never have worked as well if both of us had official group page status.

Very true. We are actually doing something like this on the Lore and Stories to showcase the WIP lore before it is posted on the group ideas forum. There are definitely groups that would've survived much better as a dynamic (my old group, Mobius, is a prime example) but I think this one deserves a spot on group ideas as an official. We'll see though.

Thank you for the idea!

No cause people would just be creating a group after another without sticking to one. it puts more work on the loremasters and it's also not needed, make one group and stick to it. and then wait a month to create a new one if you archive it. I recon it's good the way it is.

Very true. Never thought of the stress it could put on the Loremasters. However, for people who do actually attempt to develop unique ideas and then find that it doesn't translate well in-game, I think a month is a bit overkill to wait.

Thank you for your feedback Phoenix :)

I think you should get the clear from the lore masters and you can make groups whenever you want tbh.

I don't know man. I GIANT -1 from me.

I think the current cooldown is fine. It keeps people from spamming the group thread will terrible ideas.

Nihoolious    1120

I knew a guy who used to pump out group ideas back in 2014 and I swear he had a new one every month. Not all of them were bad just by looking at the thread and a few even made it to official but the problem always ended up being he lost interest and insta archived to start again.

A month gives you enough time to write the lore, assemble a roster and play in game to figure out the playstyle of the group. When I made New Moon, it was an idea I had a month before and it contained members I had already played with daily who were ready to go in the direction planned. The only thing that was new were the people we recruited along the way and the graphics. Take your time Cipher, its better in the long run for the group you are making.

I don't know man. I GIANT -1 from me.

I think the current cooldown is fine. It keeps people from spamming the group thread will terrible ideas.

If people spam the group forum with terrible ideas, can't the Loremasters just look and see "woah, what a terrible idea!" and archive it?

I think the current system punishes people trying to come up with unique and different stuff more than it protects the general community from terrible ideas. I don't want to be afraid of posting a group idea in fear that it won't work and then I'll have to wait a month to try again.

I don't know, I just think there's a better way to protect the community than the month cooldown. Might just be me tho. Thank you for your feedback Jimmy :)

I knew a guy who used to pump out group ideas back in 2014 and I swear he had a new one every month. Not all of them were bad just by looking at the thread and a few even made it to official but the problem always ended up being he lost interest and insta archived to start again.

A month gives you enough time to write the lore, assemble a roster and play in game to figure out the playstyle of the group. When I made New Moon, it was an idea I had a month before and it contained members I had already played with daily who were ready to go in the direction planned. The only thing that was new were the people we recruited along the way and the graphics. Take your time Cipher, its better in the long run for the group you are making.

You are right. However, I don't like the idea a of playing in game as the group before I assemble a roster, and as I've stated previously, that roster would have to be developed OOCly through methods such as through a thread on group ideas. I think having to wait a month to get that opportunity is overkill a bit.

Thank you very much for your feedback though Nihoolious :) maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself

Chaostica    143

Every Idea presented to the Loremaster team is taken seriously and given all due consideration. We are not here to judge other people's creative processes and if they are serious about making the group work then they deserve our time as does each idea presented to us. 

Idea's are plentiful but bringing them to fruition is usually the hard part. I know several people who had/have group ideas' but have not put a thread up due to the lack of interest presented by those they approach about the group.

It is always recommended that if you are waiting out a timer before you can place a new idea try playing as the group dynamically, see how it fits so to speak. It's not going anywhere and when the time comes post it.

We the Loremaster team work each day to review new ideas, help those who currently have idea's posted, monitor activity in current groups, make sure current groups up upholding their polices and goals, fielding many questions. That's is just a touch of what we do with groups alone.