Server time: 2017-08-24, 03:15

Sign in to follow this  
Rose

Radio chatter Rule change suggestion

Rose    145

I would post this in the rule change thread if I could find it but I also wanted to get peoples opinions on it because I know its been something others have mentioned as well in the past.

What I am suggesting is that a new rule be put into radio chatter that being: If a radio message is not directed at you/your group OR you do not reply within I would say a few days (2-3 maybe?) you cannot use it ICly nor respond like you heard all of it. This is something I have seen popping up from time to time and I've seen it happen now with a recent thread. To me it just makes NO sense that someone can claim to have heard it days after a conversation happened or can claim that they heard it without ever responding in any way. Even just to say with a quick emote that they are listening, and it opens up to potential metagameing as well.

I think there's enough rp hindering rules on radio chatter as is.

dbf01e5ad668021a4568634fa70ee739.gif

Seems like a rule just for rules sake, no real benefit.

I like it, honestly. I don't necessarily care for the time period, but if you don't personally respond to the radio chatter or are in somewhat involved, don't use it. Simple as that. Like me gaining information by watching a report video.

Rose    145

I actually hadnt seen your thread, but its nice to see others agree with me on this, a big part of why i brought it up is because of a recent issue involving this actually.

I think there's enough rp hindering rules on radio chatter as is.

I'm curious what rules you are talking about, since I don't really see any that are hindering RP TBH.

dbf01e5ad668021a4568634fa70ee739.gif

Seems like a rule just for rules sake, no real benefit.

Obviously people do care since its been brought up a few times recently, I brought it up mainly because it is a issue that is now effecting my group itself.

I like it, honestly. I don't necessarily care for the time period, but if you don't personally respond to the radio chatter or are in somewhat involved, don't use it. Simple as that. Like me gaining information by watching a report video.

I think there should be some kind of time period honestly, to stop people from going back say a month and claiming they heard something that was said on the radio that they had nothing to do with.

Coreena    91

I love the purpose behind the idea and I love that you posted something about this, however I think there should be some modifications for the community's liking and for realism purposes.

So you say that unless they are directed at you AND you don't reply to it, you may not use the information icly? I think it should be changed to, "unless they are directed at you OR you don't reply to it, you may not use the information icly." If my suggestion were to be established, the replies should at the very least consist of, "*Listens to the radio,*" or something along those lines with a bit more detail that way we don't have a bunch of:

"Henry McLoser listens to the radio."

"Jessica Ruviwhateverthefuckhernameis listens to the radio."

"Gary $ash listens to the radio."

"Dohnny Jenver listens to the radio."

"Austin Cashews listens to the radio."

I suppose this could be a good idea because evidence for a potential report regarding this will forever be in the forums, so it can definitely be moderated.

Here's why I don't entirely agree with your idea, Rose... How you worded your post is that you would like for the rules to consist of ONLY the person who the radio chatter is addressed to is the one who may take it icly. If it's on an open frequency, it would be totally unrealistic for only the person it's addressed to, to be able to take it icly. That's what private and personal frequencies are for.

I think there should be some kind of time period honestly, to stop people from going back say a month and claiming they heard something that was said on the radio that they had nothing to do with.

Right, but what I'm saying is if they had nothing to do with it in the first place, then time limit is irrelevant. If someone broadcasts to my group, for instance, I shouldn't need to respond to have that information since it's directly for myself. However, if someone just puts up an open broadcast and then gets no response, yet somehow people use that information IC without any response in any time, then that's something I don't like.

Rose    145

I love the purpose behind the idea and I love that you posted something about this, however I think there should be some modifications for the community's liking and for realism purposes.

So you say that unless they are directed at you AND you don't reply to it, you may not use the information icly? I think it should be changed to, "unless they are directed at you OR you don't reply to it, you may not use the information icly." If my suggestion were to be established, the replies should at the very least consist of, "*Listens to the radio,*" or something along those lines with a bit more detail that way we don't have a bunch of:

"Henry McLoser listens to the radio."

"Jessica Ruviwhateverthefuckhernameis listens to the radio."

"Gary $ash listens to the radio."

"Dohnny Jenver listens to the radio."

"Austin Cashews listens to the radio."

I suppose this could be a good idea because evidence for a potential report regarding this will forever be in the forums, so it can definitely be moderated.

Here's why I don't entirely agree with your idea, Rose... How you worded your post is that you would like for the rules to consist of ONLY the person who the radio chatter is addressed to is the one who may take it icly. If it's on an open frequency, it would be totally unrealistic for only the person it's addressed to, to be able to take it icly. That's what private and personal frequencies are for.

I think you might have misunderstood what I said, I didn't mean that only the person it is addressed to can take it IC I meant that only the one it is directed at and those who reply/are told about it IC can take it ICly.

Its possible I phrased it poorly since its been a long day for me irl.

Edit: okay yeah i saw the mistake That and should have been an OR

Nihoolious    1122

I'll just kinda repeat what I said in Wumby's thread. Lock threads after a certain period of time to show that the information can no longer be heard since enough time has passed. Shouldn't matter if its directed to you if its an open frequency and if its private you should know if it's for you or not.

Rose    145

Right, but what I'm saying is if they had nothing to do with it in the first place, then time limit is irrelevant. If someone broadcasts to my group, for instance, I shouldn't need to respond to have that information since it's directly for myself. However, if someone just puts up an open broadcast and then gets no response, yet somehow people use that information IC without any response in any time, then that's something I don't like.

As I said in the main post, if its directed at you then you can always take it ICly.

Rose    145

I'll just kinda repeat what I said in Wumby's thread. Lock threads after a certain period of time to show that the information can no longer be heard since enough time has passed. Shouldn't matter if its directed to you if its an open frequency and if its private you should know if it's for you or not.

That could work, but at the same time that could just make more work for staff. Plus there are group frequency threads that people would need kept open for ongoing communication. 

What I'm talking about is a conversation happening say two weeks ago and then suddenly someone just responds acting like they heard all of it even when it had nothing at all to do with them nor were they involved in the conversation at all when it happened.

Harry    18

I think i get what you mean, however this seems to difficult to enforce and to proof the metagaming aswell, as people could claim that they heard people saying that info somewhere ingame. Would it be more realistic? sure, but enforcing something like this is most likely not possible.

Lankin    102

-1 from me. Some people RP allot on the radio chatter, and I'm sure a time will come where someone is really busy IRL to come here and read them, so if this rule was in place, you are stopping someone from RPing because they had no time to come on and look, maybe they just missed the deadline to be able to respond or use it IC. Though a reasonable suggestion none the less.

-1 from me I feel there is enough rules on the radio thread

DarkSide    234

-1 from me I feel there is enough rules on the radio thread

Pretty much this.

It's a open broadcast and anyone can find the freq and respond to it adding RP in the conversation.

Rose    145

I think i get what you mean, however this seems to difficult to enforce and to proof the metagaming aswell, as people could claim that they heard people saying that info somewhere ingame. Would it be more realistic? sure, but enforcing something like this is most likely not possible.

That is a good point people could claim they heard it in game, I hadn't thought of that actually.

-1 from me. Some people RP allot on the radio chatter, and I'm sure a time will come where someone is really busy IRL to come here and read them, so if this rule was in place, you are stopping someone from RPing because they had no time to come on and look, maybe they just missed the deadline to be able to respond or use it IC. Though a reasonable suggestion none the less.

I RP quite a bit on the radio forums myself, but I disagree that its really stopping someone from RPing, I personally think that someone responding to a week old conversation that they had nothing to do with in the first place makes no sense, maybe the deadline can be a little longer or they can respond if they speak to the OP first. But as for people getting busy irl they would miss things that happen IG as well that they cant then claim they were part of ICly so I see it kinda the same way as that.

GaryCash    24

I can't tell whether or not this would be beneficial or hindering, its an interesting suggestion for realism sake, and for saving some awkwardness in RP, but it would also require people to check the radio chatter forums more often than they already may if they want to be able to use the radio chatter effectively with this rule in place

Lankin    102

-snip-

I RP quite a bit on the radio forums myself, but I disagree that its really stopping someone from RPing, I personally think that someone responding to a week old conversation that they had nothing to do with in the first place makes no sense, maybe the deadline can be a little longer or they can respond if they speak to the OP first. But as for people getting busy irl they would miss things that happen IG as well that they cant then claim they were part of ICly so I see it kinda the same way as that.

Well it would stop some people RPing whether you disagree or not. Not allot of people respond to messages a week old anyway, people have the common sense not to respond to messages a week (onwards) old. They may miss things IG, and thats fine, but events that happen in IG that get taken into IC Radio, they will be able to be apart of. Its fine if they respond a couple days after, because they could still 'hear' it come through at first and IC wait unitl they have time to respond. That way if the thread gets posted, and they are to busy with jobs or family, and then they have sometime a day or two after, maybe even three, they can respond and be apart of the RP they missed IG through IC radio, putting any sort of limit on it will stop these people who may not have enough time, and thats unfair, most threads that don't have a post in a few days die out anyway, and new threads get created. I dont think a time limit rule should be applied. Maybe some other rules, but definitely not a time limit rule.

Rose    145

I can't tell whether or not this would be beneficial or hindering, its an interesting suggestion for realism sake, and for saving some awkwardness in RP, but it would also require people to check the radio chatter forums more often than they already may if they want to be able to use the radio chatter effectively with this rule in place

I would actually love it if people used the radio chatter more, I used to do pretty much only forum RP so i love the radio chatter to be honest.

-snip-

Well it would stop some people RPing whether you disagree or not. Not allot of people respond to messages a week old anyway, people have the common sense not to respond to messages a week (onwards) old. They may miss things IG, and thats fine, but events that happen in IG that get taken into IC Radio, they will be able to be apart of. Its fine if they respond a couple days after, because they could still 'hear' it come through at first and IC wait unitl they have time to respond. That way if the thread gets posted, and they are to busy with jobs or family, and then they have sometime a day or two after, maybe even three, they can respond and be apart of the RP they missed IG through IC radio, putting any sort of limit on it will stop these people who may not have enough time, and thats unfair, most threads that don't have a post in a few days die out anyway, and new threads get created. I dont think a time limit rule should be applied. Maybe some other rules, but definitely not a time limit rule.

It really doesnt take long to write up a quick reply to a radio thread, and yes some people have common sense but in reality is really not as common as people think, so there are people who respond a week or more after a conversation has ended I've seen it myself. I think the rule could even be more of a soft rule rather than set in stone. and there is still the fact that someone can make a quick comment of *____ Listens in to the converation being had* and then they can just reply properly at a later time.

Lankin    102

It really doesnt take long to write up a quick reply to a radio thread, and yes some people have common sense but in reality is really not as common as people think, so there are people who respond a week or more after a conversation has ended I've seen it myself.

It may not take long to write a short message, but what I am saying is that people might not have the time to come on here or any game for a day or two. Those people who respond to a week old thread, you cant stop. Maybe some sort of guide could be made for people, or advice given to them. Putting a limit up because a few people do it, is not fair to those who don't. But still a good suggestion non the less. Why don't you make a guide (if one doesnt alrady exist) maybe explaining why it wouldn't be realistic or something to respond after a week of no IC posts. I think that could help allot of new players also.

I am guilty of responding to radio chatter a few days after the post has been made. I simply state in the beginning of my reply that my character have been listening to the radio over the days that have passed and her reason for not responding before now (example). If a radio chatter has been up for a while and gotten several replies, people need to make sure that they read everything instead of just responding to the OP. I don't think we need rules for this, the embarrassment is enough punishment.

Deegan    156

I'm gonna have to go ahead and -1 this like Wong said, there are already enough rules for radio chatter. Plus not being able to reply to a radio chatter, in the real world we wouldn't have these restrictions. Also you can just go ahead and make a Private Freq. if you don't want anyone to reply.

SweetJoe    284

Its actually the opposite of you watching a report video.

When i use the radio chatter to gather intel, i make a roleplay thread dictating so, or i respond.

Oz_viper    0

I would post this in the rule change thread if I could find it but I also wanted to get peoples opinions on it because I know its been something others have mentioned as well in the past.

What I am suggesting is that a new rule be put into radio chatter that being: If a radio message is not directed at you/your group OR you do not reply within I would say a few days (2-3 maybe?) you cannot use it ICly nor respond like you heard all of it. This is something I have seen popping up from time to time and I've seen it happen now with a recent thread. To me it just makes NO sense that someone can claim to have heard it days after a conversation happened or can claim that they heard it without ever responding in any way. Even just to say with a quick emote that they are listening, and it opens up to potential metagameing as well.

I totally agree with you, it's completely nonsense. I think 48h is more than enough.