Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:09
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Faith

Vehicle Rules

Faith    732

So normally when I drive a truck or car some people try and act hardass and stand in the middle of the road to see if I swerve or run them over.

Would it be NVFL on their side if they get run over or KOS/RDM on my side?

I don't want to be constantly swerving because people are seeming it fit to hide behind rules.

Who would be breaking the rule and why?

(This can be moved to general discussion if seemed fit)

Shark    0

"Roads are for cars, not people" I believe is the old line used.

If you have time to actually attempt to move and simply refuse, aiming directly for the person you see, then I'd say it's a case of KOS. If they run into the road while you're driving by and get hit, then it's stupidity (or NVFL, whatever term you want to use) on their part.

edit: Relevant report? http://www.dayzrp.com/t-KoS-via-Truck-S2-12-10-15

Cipher    0

Would think it would be case by case basis? In my opinion if people are standing on the road shooting the shit and a vehicle can clearly be seen coming then it is their responsibility to move out of the road. I'm not going to stop my car for someone clearly just standing in the middle of the road so they can write out their text initiation. Same goes for people running into the road in order to see if I'll stop.

Now, if you're doing seventy through Kab and then swerve hard left or right into a few pedestrians sitting in the grass.. thats another story.

So yeah, case by case basis in my opinion.

Lyca    783

Hey,

I guess that depends. When they just run infront of the car it isnt your fault.

When you drive into people on purpose it would be KOS.

So when you see them on the road and you can drive around them. You have to I guess.

Beni    868

Hello Hope,

If someone deliberately runs in front of the car when you're driving then, it's NVFL and even BadRP on there side, but if you see someone in the road and make no effort to avoid them, then it will be VDM on your side...

I hope this answers your question!

Doc Phlox    24

It is an interesting question you bring up. I think the burden of responsibility should be on the pedestrian, mostly, you can hear cars coming from two miles away in this game, if you see one on the road and decide to not move out of the way, going splat is on you. But, people can also always use standing in the middle of the road to get you to stop so they can RP, ask for a ride and whatnot. Or they could be getting you to stop so they can jack your car.

So stopping to interact comes with its own problems. My advice, start to slow down, honk that horn, if they move good, maybe see what they want? If they don't move after you honk and they KNOW you are coming, it is on them IMO,  or you can slow down and go around them :)

Faith    732

I feel as if this would be moved to /general discussions

Gama103    1

I believe that if you see someone approaching with a vehicle you've got two choices: either hiding somewhere or move aside so it can pass through. But if the person doesn't want to get off the road you can try to dodge him so you don't run him over, but if the person keeps trying to get in front of you while driving at full speed i guess you're allowed to run him over. But if you're driving at low speed i guess you should stop and see what does that person want.

That's my opinion

Dishes    159

If you are flying down the road, and someone jumps out in front of you suddenly and you hit them, it would be NVFL on their part. In no way should they think it's okay and they would not be hurt if they jump in front of a moving vehicle, no one would do that irl and expect positive results. Now, as Shark said, if you do actually have time to move out of the way, but make the decision to continue right at them and run them over, then I could see it as KoS on your part because you had the opportunity to avoid them.

I feel some people may have a misconception that they are protected from vehicles under the KoS rule or something and that's where some of this comes from, that's just my guess though.

Does this answer your question?

Hollows    456

The road is meant for driving. The grass and fields aren't made for cars. If your dumbass is STANDING in the middle of the road intentionally trying to use yourself as a human road block, I'd run you the McFuck over.

You shouldn't have to stop for someone, that's hella NVFL, and I'd stop the car, pulse-check the body and report it. You can stand on the side of the road/ground and go hand gestures to make contact or initiate, but I think it's the most NVFL you can get in this game. That's a mix of Ruleplaying AND NVFL tbh because they think they can get away doing that by hiding behind the rules as a safespace.

Charlo    0

/Moved to general discussion.

I have to agree with Shark here, "Roads are for cars not people"

If someone has time to move out of the way yet they're still in the road then I'd see NVFL on their part however in a report this would be a case by case verdict and I think it goes without saying you would need video of the event.

Castiel    1124

Yeah, if I was driving and someone jumped in the way of my car to make me stop like how am I supposed to stop? Cars don't stop instantly so it's either swerve out of the way, risking my life, or run their ass down. Good topic to discuss. I'd report for NVFL.

Shark    0

Now, the caveat to what I mentioned earlier is driving through towns. If you're speeding through Kabanino for instance at full speed, and someone's in the road and you hit them, then you could be held responsible. It also falls into common sense to slow down in heavily populated areas, but also falls into common sense not to walk down the roads if vehicles are nearby.

BigRig    20

Its not difficult to know a car/truck is coming.. they can hear it coming from nearly a km away if your effects are turned 3/4 the way up. If they know a car is coming and bolt into the road and stand there like a deer in headlights.. Thats NVFL for sure.

On a side note everyone should never log out on a road no matter how remote.. back when the V3S cargo came out Joe bastone and myself were driving down near balota when a guy litteraly congealed out of nothing and we turned him into a human pancake...

Sasha    0

As mentioned before, but hasn't been clarified entirely. The rulings used in the past has been "roads are for cars, not people." meaning it isn't just an opinion, it isn't something to necessarily agree on. It's what's been objectively used to solve reports in the past.

If you drive on the road and someone gets out in the middle, you don't have to stop. They should know better. Their problem.

If you are driving and intentionally swerve towards someone or attempts to hit them, it's a violation however.

Ie. driving up the road, someone stands in the middle, ignoring the car coming, clearly having no intention of moving. You can continue moving on your way. Try to move to the side of him if you can, if not. Tough shit. Meaning people who stand in the road to try and force you to stop so they can initiate are out of luck.

If you drive down the road and someone is walking on one side of it, still touching the road and you have every chance to you know, move a few inches towards the other side of the road then do so. Don't intentionally try to hit someone who didn't have the intention of stopping you or standing in the way.

Bruce    0

If you are clearly coming at a decent speed, they see you, and stand in the way; hit them. Their fault, not yours.

Thumper    0

"Roads are for cars, not people" I believe is the old line used.

If you have time to actually attempt to move and simply refuse, aiming directly for the person you see, then I'd say it's a case of KOS. If they run into the road while you're driving by and get hit, then it's stupidity (or NVFL, whatever term you want to use) on their part.

edit: Relevant report? http://www.dayzrp.com/t-KoS-via-Truck-S2-12-10-15

This. Roads are not for people. If they wanna stand in it, hit em. We the people will stand up for you.

The Buddha    24

I would say do your best not to hit them, but if they get hit, then it's their own fault.

Drive slower in built up areas, as anyone can come running out of a junction followed by a hoard of zombies. Just like in real life... you know, but without the whole zombie thing... Also, swerving, especially in the hatchback, can be rather dangerous. So driving slower is always recommended.

In the country, as has been stated, you can hear a car for miles away, making standing in the middle of the road is their choice. Obviously you can aim NOT to hit the person, maybe stopping your vehicle and screaming at the moron in the road.... But yeah, if you actively try not to hit them, and they put themselves into the situation where vehicle and soft soft human flesh meet. Then NVFL that shit.

swilly    13

Definitely have to look at the circumstances with this kind of thing,case by case basis. You can't just go running fuckers over for shits Ang gigs, but I say its they're fault if they see you and don't move honestly.

Basicly if you tell them to move out of the way, and they are not moving, they get killed, if they purposely stay there just to troll you, ask them again to move, if they are not, they heard it, and if they don't hear it by voitp, use a text rp and they would see it, from that point on i think its their decision if they want to live or not

Bran    0

I can remember having a conversation about VDM to someone in teamspeak and there was a decent bit of back and forth due to the fact that cars aren't really polished so its really a hit and miss with glitches such as car ghosting and things like that

and like you said, if they purposly go infront of the car then it would be classed as NVFL, so it could just come down to the circumstances that the person died

Famous    6

It would probably go on a case by case basis depending on what happened exactly, but it is a curious topic

Para    313

Something i've always been curious of is if somebody steps out into the middle of the road do you have to stop the car?

What if said person is in a group and gets hit by the car because he was stupid enough to stand infront of a moving vehicle? Does that then grant all people in said person's dynamic KoS rights because you hit him with a car?

Personally I think if you're driving and a person decides to stand out in the middle of the road you're well within your right to keep driving. He's either really stupid or trying to get you to stop so his party can initiate or fuck with you which if the latter option is present then he's using the fact he can't be killed to his advantage which is just dirty. I also wouldn't see hitting an idiot with a car as an action that should grant their dynamic group KoS rights either.

You raise a good question Hope :)

(I'm talking as if the car is quite literally visibly seen and the person decides to stand in the middle of the road, not to the side)

Jango    47

To me , it's common sense apocalypse or not if you see a car speeding at you, you do not stand in the road just waiting to be struck down. Breaks Immersion and really means you do not value your own life.

Raptor    188

Definitely a case by case basis. The only problem I see is if there is no evidence and a report is made about vehicle KoS, the driver could say the affected person jumped in front of the vehicle and vice versa. However you are innocent until proven guilty, which is another factor in this as well.