Server time: 2017-10-22, 10:16
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Shark

Referencing permabanned players

Shark    0

So recently, I've seen serveral posts where permabanned players are mentioned. Most of these posts have no ill intent except the person happens to be mentioned. I've seen posts removed or warned, while others are left completely alone with nothing done about them. So my question is, even though the rules state you may NOT mention them, where's the line?

d846fd685d.png

I personally have no major issue with it most of the time, but the inconsistency in removing these posts has been on my mind so I felt the need to ask. I'm not advocating for punishment, more just advocating for consistency in rules that staff enforces. You can say case by case, but this seems like a pretty clear black and white rule.

Pls my name is Nathan. (Didn't mean to mention a permabanned player, sorry.)

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

That's just the most well known and most innocent meme ever, I don't see any harm in it.

Shark    0

That's just the most well known and most innocent meme ever, I don't see any harm in it.

You're right. However, per the rules, it's not allowed.

DickSlide    250

Then you answered your own question. Staff can't see every single post that is made. We trust people to follow the rules and to report rule breaks.

Shark    0

Then you answered your own question. Staff can't see every single post that is made. We trust people to follow the rules and to report rule breaks.

Okay, but when I report a post and it's not dealt with, then what? Do I need to report it multiple times? This is the exact reason I made a thread.

DickSlide    250

Okay, but when I report a post and it's not dealt with, then what? Do I need to report it multiple times? This is the exact reason I made a thread.

Which post are you referring to?

Shark    0

Which post are you referring to?

I'd ask mods to check previously reported posts and have a look if they so choose. Again, my goal isn't to get anyone points or in any trouble.

Rolle    2964

The line is where ever the staff team handling the reported post decides it is. But if course you as an ex admin already know that ;)

Skinner    506

I'm sure there are some productive ways to mention a permabanned player. If done correctly, they can be mentioned in a way or as an example that can help give a clear picture of something that happened (describing a memorable in game event for example) to help move a conversation forward or promote a positive change. I'm sure as no flaming or ill is intended that we can trust the staff's judgement on when to enforce this rule or when not to. They're human, if they make a mistake I'm sure they'd be willing to talk to us about it and clear the situation up.

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

I know but there's a huge difference between glorifying banned players who are known for their toxic behavior and having a giggle at a banned player who made himself into a meme.

[video=youtube]

Mamba    0

I think the line is drawn between mentioning somebody and "glorifying". You mentioning something in passing as opposed to #freethehomieNathan is two different things. That's just my opinion

Dishes    159

As said, glorifying/mentioning permabanned players is against the rules and subject to removal or even points, but as far as inconsistency goes, it's simply that just not everything is caught. You can't really expect all of staff to remember every single permabanned player, and sometimes things are just easily missed.

Staff tries to keep things consistent, but keep in mind when you have so many people on at different times of the day. This means different people with different looks on things handling reported posts or what not, things can always go a little differently and, like Rolle said, the line is drawn by the deciding team. If a post that contains mention to a permabanned player is reported, then said team will decide what the post calls for. If it's just a small mention, then it would be subject to removal or maybe just left alone, if it is glorifying or a meme then it could be subject to points, but again it's really just what the deciding team says.

Shark    0

If I need to name a specific post, then I will. Kanen recently had one removed for mentioning -snip- when he archived his own group thread. I don't personally know the guy or reason for the ban, but nothing would leave me to believe he was a toxic member.

I've seen other players mentioned who posted gore, duped, harassed, etc. and these posts are still there. In any case, none of these players were being glorified whatsoever, but some were removed and others weren't.

Dishes    159

If I need to name a specific post, then I will. Kanen recently had one removed for mentioning -snip- when he archived his own group thread. I don't personally know the guy or reason for the ban, but nothing would leave me to believe he was a toxic member.

I've seen other players mentioned who posted gore, duped, harassed, etc. and these posts are still there. In any case, none of these players were being glorified whatsoever, but some were removed and others weren't.

Regardless of if the permabanned player was toxic or not, people saying things such as "-snip-", or any permed player, is not allowed and can be removed if not pointed. Again, it really depends on context as well and the deciding team.

Post    0

Fairly sure Shark knows the rules, probably not needed to explain them to him.

He's talking about consistency.

Storm    215

It is stated in the rules right here:

They also may not mention, promote or glorify players that have been banned from DayZRP.

Why have this rule if it isn't going to be enforced. If it simply said 'They may not glorify permabanned players' then sure. But it quite clearly states that mentioning permabanned players is also against the rules.

In my opinion, if you're not going to enforce it, remove it.

Strider    0

Tbh I don't know why we treat permd players like voldemort or some shit. Like its just a name are they gonna curse us because we mention them?

AndreyQ    0

They also may not mention, promote or glorify players that have been banned from DayZRP.

Why have this rule if it isn't going to be enforced. If it simply said 'They may not glorify permabanned players' then sure. But it quite clearly states that mentioning permabanned players is also against the rules.

I think the key word in that quote is "may".

In my opinion, glorifying/promoting a permabanned player should at least 99% of the times not be allowed, but when it comes to a simple mention then everything is judged case by case.

Dishes    159

All rules are enforced, some just with less severity than others. Again, it depends on the context and the deciding team at the given time. 

You are not allowed to mention permed players, but sometimes the context of it is so soft that it does not require being removed or pointed.

Storm    215

-snip-

I think the key word in that quote is "may".

In my opinion, glorifying/promoting a permabanned player should at least 99% of the times not be allowed, but when it comes to a simple mention then everything is judged case by case.

The usage of the word 'may' does not mean that its ok sometimes. If I said, 'you may not post that meme'. It doesn't mean that its alright to post the meme anyway.

But if that is the case, and you are allowed to mention permabanned players, then perhaps reword the rule to state that.

Shark    0

Tbh I don't know why we treat permd players like voldemort or some shit. Like its just a name are they gonna curse us because we mention them?

I get it if you're using someone's image or using it in a way to harass community members, but other than that, saying I miss someone and getting my post potentially deleted is extreme.

Bruce    0

If you're not glorifying them, then I don't see the issue at all. Sure they did something to get themselves rip'd, but they were still members of this community and friends with a lot of people. It's not like they simply don't exist anymore. I say get rid of "mention" and keep the other two. Kinda redundant to say you can't mention them and then say you can't promote/glorify them anyways.

DickSlide    250

There is a difference between mentioning your permd friends beans in the removal of the beans thread and glorifying them. There is a thread that you can post about that and won't get in trouble for it.