Server time: 2017-08-17, 09:56

Sign in to follow this  
JAMMIELAD

Question regarding the infection.

Question

JAMMIELAD    143

So my character, according to my lore got attacked my one of the infected but the scar hasn't fulled healed and lately it's been burning up and affecting his health a little bit. So my question is: 

Would it be possible, according to the overall lore, if this is acceptable? Because I know you're either immune or not but there doesn't seem to be something about a dormant infection or side effects (as far as I'm aware, willing to be corrected on that).

7 answers to this question

A wound can still be infected and inflamed and not be a symptom of the viral infection. That being said if it was the actual virus it would faster acting, and would transform someone in a few short days. There's a continuation story about it, or just ask Sofie.

Doc Phlox    24

Is he going to turn at some point, or is it just like his wound hurts, akin to Harry Potter?

Because if it is the latter, then there are a number of ways this could happen, he might have a simple infection from the wound, not the "infection". Or he could have something stuck in the wound that is stopping it from healing, bit of tooth, nail, dirt?

If he isn't going to turn and it is just the wound hurting for some plausible reason then I see no problem with it.

Here is some extra information on the "infection" Continuation: The Infection

Beni    677

Theoretically, yes he should turn sooner or lately,

It's all up to you on how you want to play this out... Because obviously we can't just have something around pretending to be agro can we? But... If your character is infected, in terms of RP yes he should turn. It's all up to you mate.

Chaostica    143

So my character, according to my lore got attacked my one of the infected but the scar hasn't fulled healed and lately it's been burning up and affecting his health a little bit. So my question is: 

Would it be possible, according to the overall lore, if this is acceptable? Because I know you're either immune or not but there doesn't seem to be something about a dormant infection or side effects (as far as I'm aware, willing to be corrected on that).

Hi Jammielad,

According to our lore found here the infection is very rabies like in it's presentation. Now if we were to base this on it's similarity to rabies as so much of infection is, rabies itself can be dormant in humans but for a very limited time usually several weeks to months, this is noted under causes and symptoms here 

However, the SR-1 virus, as the infection has been named, is NOT similar in the incubation period, it is fast acting and violent in nature unlike the rabies virus where incubation is generally 30-90 days.

So in conclusion NO it would not be acceptable by lore to have the trouble the bite is experiencing to have anything to do with the virus if it has been carried past the incubation period already set out in the lore.

I hope this answers your question, please contact the Loremaster team if you have any further questions.

Chaostica

JAMMIELAD    143

Nah he isn't going to turn, but my character doesn't know that ;)

But seriously, I was thinking it be something like the wound didn't heal properly because while he may be immune, there was some kind of side effect so he won't turn completely, but maybe slow healing down drastically or something, but reading the replies I'm realising that may be a little silly to be honest considering it would usually make him turn considering, you know, infection.

It'll most likely just be some kind of normal infected wound considering the whole situation, I was just thinking of bringing something new to the table.

-snip-

Hi Jammielad,

According to our lore found here the infection is very rabies like in it's presentation. Now if we were to base this on it's similarity to rabies as so much of infection is, rabies itself can be dormant in humans but for a very limited time usually several weeks to months, this is noted under causes and symptoms here 

However, the SR-1 virus, as the infection has been named, is NOT similar in the incubation period, it is fast acting and violent in nature unlike the rabies virus where incubation is generally 30-90 days.

So in conclusion NO it would not be acceptable by lore to have the trouble the bite is experiencing to have anything to do with the virus if it has been carried past the incubation period already set out in the lore.

I hope this answers your question, please contact the Loremaster team if you have any further questions.

Chaostica

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification Chaostica. 

I'll go ahead and regard this as /solved then. Thanks again.

Thank you Chaostica!

I'm glad you got your answer, Jammie.

/solved

The Buddha    23

Various factors can slow healing, Smoking is one, stress, malnutrition, poor diet, infection in the wound, foreign body in the wound, poor wound maintenance, untreated/poorly treated wound....

A wound, properly treated will heal in 7-10 days, usually less, but is best to remain dressed for that duration. Dressings should also remain dry, and as clean as possible. As with most injuries keeping the area immobile for a few days will also help wounds to remain closed, cutting your hand then farming right after treatment will probably cause stitches to open and increase the chance of infection.

Infection is the worst. It will cause swelling, redness, ooze pus, the infected area will become solid, fingers would stop bending ect. oh and the smell!!!! Infected skin also has a wondrous ability to resist anaesthesia. Meaning local anaesthetic does little to numb the pain in the infected area itself.

Treatment is incision and drainage, basically opening the wound, and washing it out, with either saline or a saline/hydrogen peroxide mix, depending on the surgeon. Wounds are then usually left open with an antiseptic soaked gause pack and dressed. Oral or I.V. antibiotics would also be prescribed. The wound would be reviewed a day or two later and the wound closed from there.

Leaving an infection can cause sepsis, toxins filtering through the body from the infection, this will cause fever like symptoms and you can run the risk of amputation or septic shock. Neither is a happy outcome.