Server time: 2017-10-23, 21:01
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Rogério SkyLab

Ghosts, Meta-Game & Jumping Zombies

Months ago, maybe more than a year ago, I was camping in the Prison Island. It was just when it was added to the stable branch. I was having some Campfire RP with the fellow strangers I've met there. One of them had just left, and we were in a climate of silence. I started playing my guitar over the mic, giving a great mood to the painful quietness that took over the night. Suddenly, it starts raining. We had the great idea of retreating to the Prison's Garrison building, well...

When we were over the bridge, a lighting fell on the ocean, and we saw someone up in the tower with a mask we couldn't discern. He was holding an Axe, and staring at us. We just stood there, paralyzed in fear. The men carefully turned around and walked out of our line of sight, inside the complex. We were terrified, but on of us said we had to go inside and see what the fuck was that.

Conclusion, we entered the dark place, using all sorts of lightning methods, from head-lights to flares. Floor to floor we explored, until once of ours got locked inside a cage, out of nowhere. He didn't see anyone. We kept hearing "I see you" and "Run", while still hearing footsteps over us, when there was no one there.

We got the fuck out of there, and the rain suddenly stopped. I had to log for that moment on, but I kept the story with me, which leads me to the topic I'm treating in this thread.

I kept that story alive with my character as an excuse to never go back into that prison. People meta-gamed the shit out of it, since they knew there was no ghost, and didn't care about it. Now, why would they do this? Is a psychological fact that, I'd say, no one, gives an absolute crap about something that they know doesn't exist.

But what would be the RP earned from that? The man that pranked us so hard that night deserves his reputation, just like the place he haunted. It's not only about this event, but also small things like 'jumping zombies', 'kosing bandits', 'undead wolves', etc... Things that you know that do not exist In-Game, and you don't care about it once someone talks about it. People spread rumors, but they do not catch. Nobody gives a fuck, because they are too worried with, I don't know, group warfare or about how many 5.56 stacks they have (I'm just generalizing). As an example, I once told a guy a history about bandits that were killing everybody they met, and they were coming to the East, to South Zagoria. He gave his response: "And who cares?"

I'm just saying that, people need to give more attention to things like rumors. Those have a important place in RP. Ridiculous things add a lot to Fear RP and Crazy RP, just think about it.

The TL;DR of this post is basically: Let your character believe in IG rumors, as stupid as they sound, since they add a new lever of role-play. Do not push it, tho. If your character really doesn't believe in these things, don't suddenly change his mind.

I'm leaving the thread here. You guys give your opinions, and we'll have a debate about this, maybe? Up to you.

SweetJoe    401

um...so you want to force people to believe ghost stories? Some people don't believe in Ghosts you know...

I know you say its up to them in your final lines...but I don't understand your point if you acknowledge that all people wont believe in ghost and aliens and bigfoot.

I tell stories much like you do, so I Feel ya, but ya...

Raptor    190

Very interesting read, and I hear where you are coming from, but some people may not want their characters to believe in ghosts and scary rumors because it doesn't fit their character. Also it's a little childish if you think about it.

Oyface    342

Just the other day, I met someone who told me that the shipwreck near Berezino is haunted, and how they heard voices and footsteps all over the ship.

On one of my old characters, I managed to get lost in the black forest and the woods south of it for quite some time, (won't say how long, it's embarrassing,) leaving Mogilevka with Staroye being the destination. After quite some time I ended up south of Novy, and since that day I avoided that place like the plague. A few times I had whole groups of people bypass it with me just because I refused to step foot near that haunted place. :D

I've also heard plenty of strangers talk about haunted castles, supernatural creatures spotted in other countries, and other similar stories. Point being, these things do happen. ;)

Zero    466

I remember when I first joined, everything I learned was mostly by rumors. I was part of a group that held up over at the North-East airfield, and we would travel to Green Mountain for supplies and to gather like minded survivors. If night fell, we would setup camp where ever we were, got a campfire, and camped out the night. Sometimes other survivors would find us, then join us at the fire. We swapped stories and rumors, tall tales. This is how I learned of The Family, the Blackwood Militia, etc.

People told us, and me, that The Family was nothing but a crazy group of cultist cannibals, we believed them, we also heard rumors from scouts and traders, that they saw The Family outside our camp, chanting crazy cultists sayings and what not, near our camp. This caused us all to abandon the area and camp it out in the mountains near NEAF while we waited for them to leave the area. I generally believed that The Family was nothing but a bunch of crazies bent on killing everyone and eating them. When I finally met them, it was far from what I had been told.

The same could be said for Blackwood, people spread stories around the campfire of a bandit army, ravaging the land and killing anyone who stood in their way, once again, when I met them, it was far from what I had been told. I believed those rumors both OOC and IC/IG, and I still try to keep it that way even now. But sometimes it's kind of hard because a lot of people on the forums and at times TS tend to spoil things for myself.

I think that the thread isn't about "You should believe in ghost stories, lol", it's a thread asking why so many people have to meta-game, and from what I have seen, a lot of people do, in fact, some people go ahead and tell others information, then say, "But that's OOC of course" as if it's suppose to change the situation.

Dishes    159

It really just comes down to if the person wants their character to believe/worry about that stuff. I know I personally use a lot of fears/stories that wouldn't actually ever happen in game due to the rules assault or just straight up shot by strangers, but in the end you really can't make people believe in ghosts and such if they don't want to.

Y'all getting too caught up in the literal examples Rogerio has given. He's just trying to say people should give their characters more psychological depth and try to break away from all the OOC knowledge we as players have of the game/DayZRP rules to make for a more interesting world.

Like we all know we cannot be shot out of the blue for our gear (because it's against the rules) but our character doesn't. You can use that as motivation for interesting conversations, interactions and how you play the game as a whole.

Eagle    409

umm, jumping zombies do exist with the parkour stuff ya know?

but if someone told me a ghost or a god came and touched them in the night I would tell them to FK off simple as that.

Sofie    0

I'm not going to force my character to believe in in-game rumours if my character thinks it's only lies. There are many factors playing along for me to believe a rumour in character: who is telling me this? How realistic is the rumour (my character, for example, don't believe in ghosts, while cannibals she is afraid of)? How does the person telling me this act? And so on... Out of character information has never decided what my characters actions.

Grimnir    663

I am sorry, but my knowlege that you are not allowed to play a ghost is not influencing my character at all. He does simply not believe in anything paranormal. In his opinion there are no ghosts, no gods, no afterlife and so on. I f you run up to him and tell him scary ghost stories he will laugh about you, because you belive in ghosts (just like most of us would do irl I guess).

The only way to make a story scary is realism. I am not afraid of ghosts, but I am afraid of the people around me and what they might be capable of. They are the actual threat, not some made up story to scare kids.

MrBlairdom    12

I am quite okay with what Rogerio talked about. And, at the same time, I am okay with what other people have used as arguments against it. I totally get the idea of having some sort of 'urban stories' freaking travelers as it brings a new level to the already pilled up fear we got going on in a day-to-day apocalypse.

People don't have to believe in ghost, but they might consider the fact that if a castle is 'haunted', maybe someone is trying to give off that impression so, in the end, something might be going on at that castle. You log in, you go to investigate and on that day nothing happens. Next time you tell your story and how the castle is empty, you go there with a friend and 'BOOM!' - stuff happening. Ghosts might not be real, but 'ghosts' might just be. I experienced this in Severograd - traveled through that town a lotta times during daytime and I saw no one. Traveled there by night time and I got to meet and see some 'urban' ghosts. From that point on, my character will always be talking about how you might not want to travel to and through Severo during night time.

Just like Surviving Man said above: we have to put away all that we know OOC-ly and try to decipher all the rumors, all the stories and mold it to each and everyone's understanding and limits.

Davos    5

If I ever heard that story in character, I would likely avoid that place like the plague. I rarely went there as is since there was no stable pure water supply. But when I did, I was usually jumpy since there were always so many twists and turns that you never knew who you might run into.

I remember getting out of being robbed by brandishing an AK I had found with a mag, but no ammo. Thankfully the guy didnt question it, put his gun away, and I had enough time to make a run for it.

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

In the case you guys haven't got it, i'm quoting it for ya:

I'm just saying that, people need to give more attention to things like rumors. Those have a important place in RP. Ridiculous things add a lot to Fear RP and Crazy RP, just think about it.

The TL;DR of this post is basically: Let your character believe in IG rumors, as stupid as they sound, since they add a new lever of role-play. Do not push it, tho. If your character really doesn't believe in these things, don't suddenly change his mind.

Thanks everyone for the read, and the arguments. I'm keeping up with it, tho we need more opinions.

Famous    6

I like that idea of having more physiological depth with your character not just due to rumors but hell past experiences. I feel the need to express past events as a progression of morale and mentality for the character. I understand what you mean, but on the other hand those stories won't be enough to have that much of an impact on a character unless you live through it tbh.

Months ago, maybe more than a year ago, I was camping in the Prison Island. It was just when it was added to the stable branch. I was having some Campfire RP with the fellow strangers I've met there. One of them had just left, and we were in a climate of silence. I started playing my guitar over the mic, giving a great mood to the painful quietness that took over the night. Suddenly, it starts raining. We had the great idea of retreating to the Prison's Garrison building, well...

When we were over the bridge, a lighting fell on the ocean, and we saw someone up in the tower with a mask we couldn't discern. He was holding an Axe, and staring at us. We just stood there, paralyzed in fear. The men carefully turned around and walked out of our line of sight, inside the complex. We were terrified, but on of us said we had to go inside and see what the fuck was that.

Conclusion, we entered the dark place, using all sorts of lightning methods, from head-lights to flares. Floor to floor we explored, until once of ours got locked inside a cage, out of nowhere. He didn't see anyone. We kept hearing "I see you" and "Run", while still hearing footsteps over us, when there was no one there.

We got the fuck out of there, and the rain suddenly stopped. I had to log for that moment on, but I kept the story with me, which leads me to the topic I'm treating in this thread.

I kept that story alive with my character as an excuse to never go back into that prison. People meta-gamed the shit out of it, since they knew there was no ghost, and didn't care about it. Now, why would they do this? Is a psychological fact that, I'd say, no one, gives an absolute crap about something that they know doesn't exist.

But what would be the RP earned from that? The man that pranked us so hard that night deserves his reputation, just like the place he haunted. It's not only about this event, but also small things like 'jumping zombies', 'kosing bandits', 'undead wolves', etc... Things that you know that do not exist In-Game, and you don't care about it once someone talks about it. People spread rumors, but they do not catch. Nobody gives a fuck, because they are too worried with, I don't know, group warfare or about how many 5.56 stacks they have (I'm just generalizing). As an example, I once told a guy a history about bandits that were killing everybody they met, and they were coming to the East, to South Zagoria. He gave his response: "And who cares?"

I'm leaving the thread here. You guys give your opinions, and we'll have a debate about this, maybe? Up to you.

Life is glitching aswell, people believe in ghosts in real life, so who knows, dayz is dayz, i and my friends had a meeting with an invisble ghost zombie sometime ago, we freaked IC, so i think that says it really :)

IG rumors could definitely be good. For me personally, if my character has never been somewhere IG I act like I don't know where it is or anything about it so this would probably work on me, tbh. But everyone's different.

Hollows    459

It wasn't ghosts, but us Regulators spooking you off of our Island. Get off our lawn! *Shakes fist angrily*