Server time: 2017-08-18, 09:04

Sign in to follow this  
Rodzilla

The Life of a Rooster

Rodzilla    3

[This log of events will be told from the first person perspective of James "Rooster" Beaumont. He is a Southern man from the great state of Texas with a thick, Southern accent.] 

[Any and all narration will be written in THIS format.]

[Any and all OOC responses from me will be written in GREEN]

The Life of a Rooster

[align=left][Rooster sits down against the damp wall of a small cabin. With his bedroll beneath him, he pulls out a ragged, makeshift book he had made out of scrounged loose paper and sinew from his latest deer hunt. The air tonight was cold and you could see his breath manifest itself into a ghostly mist as he exhaled. He lit a small candle and shielded it with a cooking pot from his pack, in hopes no unwanted guests would spot it. The pencil he had found was very dull, but sharp enough to write legible words.]

- Day 1: Don't Poke a Bear in a Cave - 

Well... I don't really know how to start this. Ain't never been much of a book reader myself. Nor have I been much to write, neither. But, hell, I'm gettin' so damn bored these days and I'm runnin' out of women to think about! Not too many people 'round to care about grammar and such no more. Hahahaaa! And to think my school teachers tried so hard to get me learn't on the book read'ns and write'ns. Hahaha! The only things you learn now are how to scrounge fer supplies, how to not run your mouth off to the wrong people, and how to catch dinner. It just so happens I already learn't all that stuff back home. No thanks to the American education system. 

[He chuckles lightly to himself.]

Now, here I am in this godforsaken mud-hole of a country, shootin' dead-heads and fending off punk-ass bandits who try 'n get tough. All because my snake of a friend, Bucky, couldn't hold his shit in his ass and ratted me out to my old smuggling gang. Those slimy bastards. And screw Bucky! I swear if I ever see him again, I'll come down on him with a swift justice only Jesus his'self could deliver! Thanks to him, I didn't have any of my gear I came here with since the CDF raided my old crew's hideout. I didn't have time to grab anything on my escape. (Thank god fer them Slavic boys, though. I don't care too much for em' but that day they saved my life.) I know that if any of them guys from the gang are still alive after that firefight with the CDF, they'll definitely be try'na come find me. 

Anyways, so... there I was, rootin' around like a wild hog in this dingy town called Star Eye or Steroid or someshit. (I cain't never get these damned Chernarussian names right for the life of me, so I just make up some shit I can remember). Lo and behold the first thing I found was a good ol' .357 Magnum! If you call yourself a man by any caliber you shouldn't carry any other sidearm except one of these bad boys on your hip. If you're looking down the eye of this tiger, you sure as hell don't wanna hear it talk. That thing'll have you sittin' down faster'n a redskin at a peace-pipe ceremony. I'm surprised I even found one so far from home. So I loaded that sucker'n tucked it in my belt. 

[He takes a quick glance at the magnum laying next to him, as if to make sure he was telling himself the truth.]

I later came across an old cop stop. Look' like it had been shot up pretty good, too. Funny thing is, in this country, you never know if the damage you see was caused before or after the outbreak. Hahahaha! This fuckin' country, man... the thought makes me laugh errytime. I went inside and looted the place. Found me a 12 gauge pump and some ammo fer that, too. My day was gettin better 'n better. Until I heard the foot steps...

I pulled out my Magnum and aimed it at the front door of the station. I called out to whoever was out there, warnin' 'em that if they wanted to give my bullets a new home, all they had to do was walk through that door. The voice responded by tellin' me he had no intentions of hurtin' no one... Yeah, I've heard THAT shit before. Didn't turn out too good fer the men who said it, neither. I really wanted to get out of that damn station, but I couldn't without knowing this man wasn't a threat. I don't WANT to shoot no one... but I'll put any sumbitch down who threatens the life of me or my family... and don't miss one wink of sleep over it, neither. I told him that if he holsters his weapon I'd come out in peace, but I'd sure as shit would still have my gun drawn. I looked out the nearest window to find that he was, indeed, complying to my demands... good choice. This guy was smart enough to not poke a bear in a cave. 

I exited the cop stop and approached a weary kid wearing some dirty camouflage and a big green hiking pack. Here I thought I was the nervous one, but when I heard the crack in his voice and the look in his eyes, I could tell he was more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I felt a little bad fer the kid. He was just trying to make it out here like the rest of us. I don't even think he HAD a firearm and was just complying with my demands to keep his'self from gettin' killed. He looked really hungry and not even strong enough to tie a knot. So me being the oh-so-nice man that I am, haha, I pulled the gun out of his face and gave him some of my famous "Rooster's Chicken". (basically, just chicken I season with a secret herbal ingredient that I seem to run into a lot of out here.) He ate it fast. I mean, REAL fast. By the looks of it you woulda swore this kid was a magician by how fast he made that shit disappear. After we ate, I told him there was some weapons still in the station that he might wanna snatch up. He ran in... looked around for a minute... then came out saying he didn't see nothin'.............. And here I was giving him credit for NOT being dumber than a bag of hammers. I ran back inside and picked up one of the old police ride-along shotguns and dropped it on the ground in front of him. Told him he'd better get used to using his eyes more, this world ain't as forgivin' as it once was. He was grateful, sure, but sum'n told me he'd rarely use it, if at all... and If i was a bettin' man, I'd put a hundred bucks down on sayin' he's long dead by now. 

[His face takes a solemn form. He is holding the pencil on the paper, but hesitates to write for a moment.]

I still cain't remember his name. Jason? John? Josh? ... Poor sumbitch. He said he was headed up North. Never told me why or where exactly. Prolly smart for him. He didn't know me. After all, I DID hold him at gunpoint fer a minute. He headed off (with some pep in his step, I might add) and I figger I'd call it a night right there. Found me a nice cozy lil' cottage to post up in fer the evening. I trekked some god damned four hours before reaching that raggity village of Steroid.... It's time I get some long awaited shut-eye...

Favorite Quote Today:

"Boy, you ain't had true apocalyptic food until you had Rooster's Chicken."

- Me, James "Rooster" Beaumont

Rodzilla    3

The Life of a Rooster

[The camp was quiet this morning. He had just woken up to a doused campfire and a couple of sticks that had clearly been used to cook meat of some kind. The smell of it still lingered in the air. His body still ached from the day before. The air was still and the sun was just barely creeping through the tree branches. It was awkward for him to admit that it was going to be a beautiful day, given the events that had recently taken place. He goes back to the tent and pulls out his makeshift journal and begins to write...]

- Day 2: The Quality of L.I.F.E. -

Good lord... yesterday was a hoot 'n a half, man. I'll tell you what, though; people these days still manage to surprise the hell outta me. Sometimes you think you've seen it all, right? In this new world, you can't let yourself be surprised cuz most likely you'll end up dead or worse. Well, yesterday was one of those moments where I was surprised. 

[After erasing the names of the cities a couple of times, he continues...]

I left Steroid or Star Eye or whatever the hell that dang place is called and headed west. I followed the northwest road outta town for a few hunnerd yards before cutting straight into the woods. Errything is more simple out in the woods, it seems like. Them dang punk-ass bandits like to travel the roads in hopes they roll across some poor sucker who cain't navigate the god dang wilderness. For me, the trees, the rocks, the air, the leaves, the animals.... they all make it feel a little more like home. Granted... back home the trees don't usually get this big. But I still find a lil' bit of comfort in it. 

[He takes a moment to imagine his home and woods that he frequented in the past.]

A road done come into view and I decided to follow the road north but from the treeline. As I traveled along, I began to hear voices in the near distance. There was a cluster-fuck of voices, but I could discern a distinct female voice with a British accent. As I got closer, a small group of people came into view through the trees. Most of 'em were sportin' blue armbands on their left arms but there were a few fellas who weren't. A rather good looking woman, considering there ain't really no more soap left in the world, stood in front of these men. She was rockin' a blue beret with brown hair pulled into a bun. It was clear that by the way she barked at these men that this woman was the leader of whatever was going on here. To her right stood another man who also rocked a blue beret. I pegged him to be her right hand man. The rest of the men were standing in a line facing her and her lieutenant.

I approached very cautiously and made myself known after I felt that these people were relatively safe.... And i'll just admit that I was also a tad curious myself. Fine woman such as herself blastin' orders at a bunch of fully grown men? Minus the accent, she was Texan in my book.

As I came into view she stopped yellin' at 'er boys and asked who I was. I tol' her my name and that I was just passin' by when I heard the commotion. Figger I'd come see what it was all 'bout and that I don't run into too many folk anymore these days. She said that's fine and I could stay so long as I'm quiet so she could yell at her crew more, hahaha! I did as she said and took a lil sit down on this gangly lookin' stump, rolled a ciagarette, and cracked open one of these damn Slavic beers I've been finding all over the place. (They taste like shit, but hell... I'd be lying if I said they didn't get the job done.)

I sifted through the yellin' and figger'd that the woman in charge was a doctor by the name of Hope Pisces. The line of men consisted of mostly her men but there were a few other men who weren't sportin' the blue armband. I guess there was some unwanted shit talk between the two groups and she was trying to address it in an orderly fashion.... These guys were eager to fight though, I could smell the trouble in the air. It don't take much to notice the telltale signs; clenched jaw, balled fists, 'lotta pointing. She gave each man a chance to speak for his'self and tell his side of the story... but that's where things escalated faster 'n a prairie fire with a tail-wind.

Just as one man (NOT wearing a blue armband) spoke out, a member of Hope's crew called him a bitch or pussy or somethin' (If ya ask me, both men were being little bitches). I knew that this was it when the "bitch" pulled out his pistol and shot the other man square in the head. Instantly, everyone in the vicinity took up arms and began rainin' hot lead like you wouldn't believe! I witnessed one man fall dead fer sure before choking on my cigarette and ducking for cover.

The firefight only lasted for about a minute before the bullets stopped. I had managed to dive under an ol' broken down trailer and didn't engage none of those guys. I have a motto, "Don't get killed because of someone else's bullshit."

I decided to get up when I heard the mention of wounded men. I had to help. If there was any time to pay for my past transgressions, it was now. I got up and ran into the smoke-filled battlefield which I realized was a well hidden camp just off the road. I counted three men dead; two of Hope's men, and one from the other group. The aftermath left the soil soaked in blood. As I counted the last man, I heard commotion from the main medical center in their camp. I booked it over there to see if there was any way I could help. An empty hand is a useless one, right? I heard groaning from at least three different men..... and then came a female's voice. 

Dr. Pisces had been hit in the chest and leg in the crossfire, along with her second in command, a man I learned later was named Mandell. 

I asked one of the men attending to them what he needed me to do. The guy told me to help with his operation on Dr. Hope...... I've never performed surgery! I was quakin' in my boots, man. If she died under the knife 'cuz of me..... I was convinced I was a dead man. 

The other doc, who was named Dr. Alec, assured me that if I didn't help that she would most likely die..... I can't have an unjustified death on my hands, not now..... So I agreed and began to do as the doctor ordered. Luckily for me, he only had a me do fairly simple things. It still queezed me the hell out.... but I couldn't let Dr. Hope see that. Doc Alec had instructed me to keep her calm and distracted. Plus... I'm from Texas... We tend to try and not let people see us bein' weak... I held back my vomit for this lil' lady. She needed me to be strong... So I did my best.

[He flinched at the memory of her open wounds.]

When she had finally stabilized, and after dying once during the surgery, the doc left me to look after her and make sure she was comfortable. I think what really did it was when I gave her a sip of a water bottle I'd been saving for months.... It was an UNOPENED bottle of water from pre-breakout days... She's lucky... I wouldn't have shared that with my own brothers. But something about the situation made me think differently. Was it because these people were here to HELP and I didn't like seeing them getting taken advantage of? Was it Doc Hope? Was it because I felt pity for them? I still don't know...

Doc Hope finally passed out. She needed her rest. I went down the steps to the main yard and met some of the members of a group who call themselves L.I.F.E. A buncha men and women dedicated to helping the survivors in the country, givin' them medical attention, food and water, and just overall assistance. Almost a purely selfless bunch. I wondered how someone can be so selfless in this world?? I was shocked. I never expected this from anyone. It seemed stupid to me and still does... but I gotta admit; I do got a bit of admiration for these boys, too. Almost an envy. Somewhere.... somehow.... they see "good" in the future. In people. A "good" I have yet to be privy to. 

[He stops writing for a moment. He hated being vulnerable... and this train of thought was doing just that. He decided to wrap it up.]

Anyway..... 

I'm done writing. Today is too god damn nice of a day to be sittin' here brewin' old coffee. 

Favorite Quote of the Day:

"Put your guns away or else my boot'll go up your ass!"

- Dr. Hope Pisces

Mercy    488

When I get quoted at the end but honestly this is the best writing I have seen on DayZRP 

My vote will be going to you for story of the year ::)

Keep up the great work!

Rodzilla    3

When I get quoted at the end but honestly this is the best writing I have seen on DayZRP 

My vote will be going to you for story of the year ::)

Keep up the great work!

Thanks. I definitely have more! This community is great. You guys all bring awesome material to the table! 

;P

Castiel    1124

Wow. This is actually really top notch writing, man. Can't wait for more!

Zombru    25

- Dr. Hope Pisces

Mine would have to be:

"you're all acting like your shoe size and not your actual age" -Pisces

"I'm a size twelve" -Mack

"Well you still haven't hit puberty yet, so sit down and shut up" -Pisces

Mercy    488

- Dr. Hope Pisces

Mine would have to be:

That was my favourite quote! I went complete savage right then bwahahaha!

Rodzilla    3

- Dr. Hope Pisces

Mine would have to be:

That was my favourite quote! I went complete savage right then bwahahaha!

Lol, There were a lot of good ones! I personally like the puberty one too. Rooster likes the boot one because its something he would say. lol

Rodzilla    3

The Life of a Rooster

[Clutching his leg, he promptly hobbled inside the medical station and locked the door behind him. He knew he had lost his pursuer, but it had managed to dig into his left leg with lethal precision. He was losing blood hastily. Blood covered his hands from the attempts to put pressure on the wound. Fortunately for him it was a clean bite, no rips or dangling flesh. He remained relatively calm, but moved with urgency. He rummaged through his pack to find some bandages and morphine...

... After an hour or so of dressing his wounds, he had managed to stop the bleeding and somewhat keep his wound closed via duct tape. The morphine had run its course and the pain was starting to set back in. He needed a distraction. He tried counting the wooden planks in the ceiling, which didn't work... He then reached for his book...]

[align=left]- Day 3: The Writing On a Tombstone - 

Well shit.... If I die from infection I'm going to be completely pissed. I swear If someone finds a cure and THAT sumbitch turns back into a living, breathing human, I'm finding her and biting the shit out of her back!....... fuck....... now I'm just writing bullshit down.... Fine women.... chewin' tobacco..... C'mon, Rooster! Quit writin' bs! Get yer shit together!

[A surge of pain shoots through his leg. He winces and the pencil in his hand leaves a big streak across the page. He collects himself, and forces his mind to focus on his book, his grip tight on his pencil.]

This morning was... alright. At least it started out nice. This will actually be the second time I've written in this damn thing today. After I put my book up the first time, Yuri came over to see what I was doing. I never thought I'd make friends with a Chernarussian... but then again, I do a lot of things nowadays that I never thought I'd do. Go figure. He was recruited on as a nurse in L.I.F.E. and is aspiring to become a doctor one day.... I think... I don't know, man, I cain't barely understand the guy half the time.

He asked if I was alright and we kinda spoke about yesterday's events a bit. Just small talk really. No one really wanted to bring it up, but then again, Yuri is a man of insight. I swear I cain't barely tell a word that comes from that boy's head but I know its probably something I should take to heart. Always seems like he's spoutin' off words of wisdom and whatnot. To be honest, it makes me feel like an idiot at times. Like... who is constantly that logical? But I admit he's a pretty level-headed and damn good guy when you start talking to him.

[Another jolt of pain, much less intense than the last one. He waits for it to pass and continues...]

Anyways... Yuri told me he was goin' to Cab.... Kab.... Cabberdino? Oh hell, he was goin' to some damn town nearby! He wanted to make his rounds in the area to spread the good word of L.I.F.E. (I swear, he prolly works the hardest out of all them boys). I told him that if he needed comp'ny I could use the exercise. So him and I packed our gear and headed for Cabberdino.

We get into a town that is in between Cabinhoe and Camp Hope... Steroid Sober I think was the name of it. I tol' him I wanted to scrounge around fer some ammo while we were here. He said that was fine and continued to make his rounds even though the town seemed empty... "seemed" being the key word.

I arrive back by the town square to wait for Yuri. While I was waiting, I hear a shuffling sound come from behind me, followed readily by a gurgling sound. I knew instantly what the hell that was and turned around to see a dead-head boltin' straight towards me! I raise my weapon and blasted his ass straight back to hell! I was just about to holster my weapon when I heard another noise that sounded like the first... only louder... and faster... From down the street, I saw a goddamn herd of these fuckers! I felt so stupid in that exact moment. I knew better than to kill a dead-head in town with a firearm. For some reason, sound attracts these hellions without question.... Nickleback woulda done well in this new world.

[He painfully laughs at his own joke. The laugh turns into a cough as he realizes a fever might be setting in. He wipes his brow and picks up his pencil...]

I spit fire into the crowd of the dead, settin' a bunch down in the first volley. But I had to reload. As i'm reloading, one of those dummies gets within arm's reach. It lunges forward and scratches my arm just before his head fuckin' explodes! 

Fuckin' Yuri, man. Dude really knows how to come through with the clutch. We shredded the herd until everything was re-dead. He checked my wounds out afterwards and patched me up good. I made a joke about using duct tape on my gash.... but of course, his logic centers started bootin' up and he started on about how its not very effective for the wound and yadda yadda.... Hahaha! I still like the little rascal. I mean, he saved my life after all.

[He looked the roll of duct tape at his side and let out a chuckle that again turned into a slight cough.]

I tol' him I was fit to continue on to Cabernet when his radio started buzzin'. It was a voice I hadn't heard before and it was askin' for Yuri's assistance at some place called Tombstone. I had never heard of it, but Yuri told me he had to leave and knew I could take care of myself..... I didn't even get a chance to rebuttal before the lil' bugger scampered off down the street. So.... there I was. Standing in the middle of a pile of corpses we had jus' dispatched. I figured, fuck it, I'll head back to Camp Hope to see if them fellas needed a hand with anything.

I returned to Camp Hope a few hours later. When I got there I saw a few men, one of 'em bein' Doc Alec, loadin' up their gear and hoppin' into a truck. I asked him if he needed help or company. He said he was just driving the truck over there so the men at Tombstone can borrow it fer somethin'. Tombstone? I told him that's the place Yuri went. He told me to climb in and he'd give me a lift. Thank god, too. It was so hot a hen woulda layed a hard-boiled egg! That walk woulda been even more miserable.

Couple hours pass and Doc Alec tell us we're almost there, but then he cuts off the main road into the grass. Where is this Tombstone? It musta been some sorta secluded place to be off the road like this. Smart play. I liked the idea. Plus.... I can actually pronounce the name of the damn place. We drive through a small clearing up to a treeline and Doc Alec cuts off the engine. I hear voices immediately through the woods and up a slight incline. Not only do I hear voices... But I coulda swore I heard a scream too. I let Doc Alec and the other fellas I rode in with take the lead up into the brush. Slowly a structure that looks like some kinda stone tower comes into view. A Castle.... it was a goddamn castle! Hahaha! I only read 'bout castles and seen 'em in that nerdy movie with them lazy ass trees and hairy-footed midgets.

[He hears a noise and perks up for a moment. When he discerns that it was just the wind, he lowers his head again.]

We get closer to the top when a man runs out and casually, CASUALLY.... tells Doc Alec that someone up the hill jus' had his arm amputated up to the elbow and they needed him up there.................... The fuck I just walk into, man??? Everyone else seemed relatively unaffected by the information too. My good day was slowly turning into yet another shit day and the heat didn't help my mood either. I followed them up to see what was going on. We come up to this super huge castle-tower-base-camp-type deal and was greeted by a tall man in a pretty nice black Stetson... still ain't nicer 'n mine, though. 

He noticed me in the back and in this tales-of-the-crypt voice he asked me what my name was. I tol' him Rooster. He said his name was Marshall Jack Spade (Great..... law enforcement. This is gunna be just peachy, Rooster). He came up to me and put his arm around my shoulder and tol' me this place is for anyone that wants to come and live in a prosperous, well protected environment.... This dude was creepy as fuck.... He continued on and tol' me about his people and base camp, his radio station that he runs for the locals, and oh yeah! his rule about punishing any crime committed BY TORTURE AND/OR EXECUTION!

... I didn't need to know what that scream was at this fuckin' point. Don't take a genius to come to the conclusion that these Tombstone boys were enforcing their laws I just found out about. How the hell did L.I.F.E. end up in cahoots with this guy?? He must be real good at protectin' folks. Or maybe I just misjudged him.... Just then, who comes walking out of the torture castle??

Yuriiiiiii! I think that was the most happy I've ever been to see Yuri. Even more than him blastin' that dead-head for me. He tells me he's surprised to see me n' I tell him I'm I need to find somewhere to cool off, this place was creepin' me the hell out. Of course, Spade overheard me askin' Yuri where I could cool off and butts in to tell me that there is a pond just down the way I could take a dip in. I make sure to thank him very VERY much and start walking away when he kinda shouts at me at tells me "If you hear screams.... they ain't mine", grins, and walks back to the tower.

[He notices his vision get a little blurry as another shot of pain shoots through his nerves. He drops the book on the floor next to him. After the pain subsided he reached down to pick it up, slightly bloodying the page with his fingers.]

Yuri came to check on me after a lil' bit an' I tol' him I was fine 'n didn't need nothin'. I must've passed out in the pond cuz it was jus' startin' to get dark when I woke up. I headed back to Tombstone to see if Yuri was still around. He wasn't. Most of the people there had left, actually. There was, however, a jittery man in a black beanie and respirator that told me all he knew was that Yuri went north somewhere. Well... I had to learn the lay of the land sometime, so I packed my gear and began trekking north....

This is where we come to now...

The trek was definitely a long'n. Killed me a cow. Drank me some Water. Ate me some cow. Killed me some dead-heads. Took a dump. The usual. It was dark by the time I got into the heavy pines. The night was as cold as it was hot durin' the day! ..... I really hate this place. 

I had finally reached the treeline of the woods I was in and saw the all too familiar rooftops of non-American made buildings in the distance. I had been jogging for quite a while at that point and needed a rest.... A rest. That's what I potentially forfeited my life for....

As I drank my last sips of water, a hand grabbed my ankle and grasped down on it hard. I swear it felt like the Devil his'self was about to drag me straight down to hell with him. I turn to see some dead lady, covered in moss and branches, staring back at me. Gurgling and frothing at the mouth. Its grip was steady and I tried to break free, but my goddamn boot heel got caught on the damn root of the tree~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Rooster's hand slides across the page as his head slumps over unconsciously. The book falls out of his hands and onto the floor. He succeeded in being able to focus on a distraction so well that he hadn't noticed the duct tape beginning to soak up blood long enough to wear the adhesive off. His wounds exposed and bleeding again...

... He doesn't finish this entry.]