Server time: 2017-10-17, 20:38
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Zombru

What do you think of NLR?

Do you think the NLR should be redefined to let you keep memories surrounding the hostile events leading to your death?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the NLR should be redefined to let you keep memories surrounding the hostile events leading to your death?

• yes
    • no

Zombru    25

What I think about it is that you should be able to remember the hostile events leading up to your "death" as long as it doesn't take a way from/lower the quality of the RP (So if you perma-deathed your character or role played out getting shot in the head). I wouldn't say that it would give you execution rights or anything like that, but just so you can act upon it in character and expand upon the story. If no one else knows what happens to you, then it completely stops the story line between your character and someone else or a group. That's really the only problem I have with NLR. If you want to RP that your character has lost all of their memories and such then go for it, but if you don't want to lose memories why is it mandatory if it doesn't hurt RP in any way? I think the rule is fine as is, but could be improved upon if it wasn't forced for your character to lose their memories surrounding the event. Just trying to voice my opinion on the subject.

Raptor    173

I agree with this. If I get killed in a firefight, I would RP that I got shot somewhere non-lethal, or that I escaped somehow. It feels a little unnatural to just forget about EVERYTHING that led up to your temporary demise.

Vapor    0

I am fine with the NLR. Not because of the memory loss aspect, but the restriction of returning to a vicinity that you were previously killed in.

But I do understand where you are coming from. That being shot removes some of the roleplay that occurred and you are not able to act upon it, because of a rule violation.

The rule is in place, so that you don't go back to that location, so that you don't get revenge for them shooting you, and so that you don't remember why they shot you. This allows your shooters to not worry about someone coming back from the dead and getting revenge. You were shot for a reason and that reason shouldn't be remembered, because you can act upon that same reason later in roleplay.

Defiance    96

There are many, many ways around this.

If a group member saw the events, then they can tell you what happened. Additionally, you can contact the person who killed you OOC and ask permission to remember. If they grant it, then you can waive the memory loss and continue with the RP from that standpoint. I've done this many times.

Zombru    25

I understand that revenge killing and looting your own dead corpse shouldn't be a thing, but I think that you should be able to keep memories. I wouldn't expect that you would get execution rights or anything from this, it's just something to further the RP.

Terpentino    9

If a group member saw the events, then they can tell you what happened. Additionally, you can contact the person who killed you OOC and ask permission to remember. If they grant it, then you can waive the memory loss and continue with the RP from that standpoint. I've done this many times.

Is this also within the rules or is it more like a grey area? :)

Just to make sure that I understand;

1. If a group member see that you get killed, can he then tell you what happened up until your death?

2. There might be more people involved than the one that killed you but it is still okay if the one that killed you gives permission to remember?

Vapor    0

1. If a group member see that you get killed, can he then tell you what happened up until your death?

2. There might be more people involved than the one that killed you but it is still okay if the one that killed you gives permission to remember?

About people telling you about stuff

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-NLR-question--65895

Defiance    96

About people telling you about stuff

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-NLR-question--65895

Rolle's answer provides some good insight there. 

Phrases like "limited NLR" and "roleplay>ruleplay" come to mind.

Zombru    25

Yeah, but what if you're completely alone and you are killed? If they don't give you permission to remember and you have no one to tell you and even if it makes sense IC to remember what happened to you, you can't.

Defiance    96

Yeah, but what if you're completely alone and you are killed? If they don't give you permission to remember and you have no one to tell you and even if it makes sense IC to remember what happened to you, you can't.

Yeah, in this case if you aren't given permission then you can't do much about it.

I never seem to mind, though. If the person who killed me doesn't want to continue the RP, then I simply move on. There's plenty of RP to be had out there.

Bowser    53

For me on a character that is all about letting someone else take the first move so I have a reason to go after them, if they had execution rights in a situation or had asked to execute and everything was settled for my death I would usually //OOC request to remember the events up to a short while before it goes black... That way I can further my RP with that character who is going to kill me or I can spill the beans about what they did to me to more important people BUT still leaving them with the choice because it is in the rules to forget...

Strider    0

I just want to remember the events leading to my death so I can trash talk my captors on the radio and tell them that they can't aim for shit.

/s

Cow    0

Personally I think the rule and specifics of NLR are fine as they are and essentially Strider and myself share the same opinions.

We do welcome discussion however so might I suggest a poll?

I just want to remember the events leading to my death so I can trash talk my captors on the radio and tell them that they can't aim for shit.

/s

Hefty.

I feel the NLR rules are fine as they are tbh.

As for more elaboration on my opinion, people already hardly ever perma kill their characters and nothing ever happens because nobody ever dies. People are already invincible in terms of it being their will to decide when their character dies and this will just add to the fact that there is nothing to really stem from killing an individual.

As a wise man once said, "This shit is so pointless, nothing ever happens because nobody ever fucking dies in this video game."

Roger    0

Frankly I think their should be a 3 strike system with executions. After the third time you've been executed using valid execution rights then you should be forced to perma that character. I don't mean three executions by the same group, I mean executions from any valid source.

People will have to start valuing their lives and start thinking about the repercussions for their actions.

Strider    0

Frankly I think their should be a 3 strike system with executions. After the third time you've been executed using valid execution rights then you should be forced to perma that character. I don't mean three executions by the same group, I mean executions from any valid source.

People will have to start valuing their lives and start thinking about the repercussions for their actions.

Major key alert.

People don't care about anything and don't act realistically because they never die, so nothing bad or meaningful ever happens. Except the couple of people who actually perma death, and no I don't mean perma death then bringing your character back two weeks later, shoutout to the real ones. Stay woke.

Skinner    496

That's an interesting concept, it would certainly add a sense of real risk which would hopefully guide peoples actions towards actually valuing their lives. The only concerns I would see with this are:

1. If some dope(s) in my group repeatedly engage in hostilities earning a rival group execution rights, the rules state that those rights extend to me. So I could be executed multiple times theoretically and never have even spoken to or even met my killers. I might not have even been online when the hostilities occurred, but they can certainly hunt me down and blow my brains out even if I am fully complaint. If this happened to me I would probably leave the group but I would also be pretty pissed that I lost my character and there was nothing I could do about it.
  2. It would sort of give an advantage to players who make a new character every other day and don't care or put much thought into their characters, since all they'd have to do is come up with a new name. They have nothing to lose, at least nothing that they care about. Players who pour their heart and soul into bringing a character to life, toil over a deep backstory, come up with photographs of how they look and give them a distinct way of speaking, these are the kinds of players who get very attached to their characters and would be much more likely to be more heavily impacted by something like this.

I like the concept, but it definitely could turn out really badly if not handled correctly. Plus "you should be forced to perma that character." is a sentence that always fills me with dread.

Alex    465

I agree with stuff like this all the time but sadly the whole "But I shouldn't be forced to perma my character" excuse comes in. This suggestion would actually have people thinking about the shit they do IC.

Mental    0

I mean, I do like the idea, but it could also give people the incentive to NVFL a lot more because they want to avoid execution strikes.

Rolle    2931

I don't think any regular member or even staff aside from GM/Admins can tell you or allow you to disregard a rule ;) 

That being said, as long as it doesn't break anyone's RP or gives you an advantage later on, it should be fine, after all good RP and fair play comes above everything else.

Tewudin    44

Interesting idea but how exactly would you enforce that? I mean, how would you be able to tell which character was executed 3 times for any valid reason? If you count on people being fair then you've a problem because I can imagine a lot of people abusing such rule.

Chernov    0

/s

Hefty.

I feel the NLR rules are fine as they are tbh.

As for more elaboration on my opinion, people already hardly ever perma kill their characters and nothing ever happens because nobody ever dies.  People are already invincible in terms of it being their will to decide when their character dies and this will just add to the fact that there is nothing to really stem from killing an individual.

As a wise man once said, "This shit is so pointless, nothing ever happens because nobody ever fucking dies in this video game."

Now if only you two actually played.

+1 to this change as long as people dont use it for revenge obviously.

Defiance    96

I don't think any regular member or even staff aside from GM/Admins can tell you or allow you to disregard a rule ;) 

That being said, as long as it doesn't break anyone's RP or gives you an advantage later on, it should be fine, after all good RP and fair play comes above everything else.

That's what I was getting at! I'm not trying to encourage rule-breakers! I promise, Rolle!

Faith    727

My opinion on the matter is people are probably going to use the excuse of execution rights when the other person has no proof so it may be valid or it may not. People wouldn't really know.

If executed or killed i believe you should remember the situation but not remember who was involved or who your enemies are. Like everyone is a dark shadow and all you can remember was you and the scenario so you'd have to do a crime scene investigation. Though this wouldn't grant KOS rights nor execution rights on the group in suspect. But then again that could lead to posile metagame.