Server time: 2017-08-17, 21:34

Sign in to follow this  
Solo

Experiences of characters with split personality's

Solo    62

So... I've been working on a new character for a while now, who has developed a split personality. His first personality will normally consist of being very confidential and anti social where as his counter part, alter-ego, would be very outgoing, aggressive and manipulative . As you can see, the character works in a very psychological way, by playing with peoples minds.

Now personally I like to see this in a character from an RP stand point as it allows the character to have a unpredictability about them. One minute they can be this quiet guy and the next BAM! Here we feast our eyes upon an aggressive manipulator that likes to take advantage of the minds of others. This I feel can really push RP situations forward and could create bonds and even hatreds between characters.

I have only seen this played well once while in game, which spurred me on to make a character like this for myself and see what it could be like. However, I haven't really seen anything like this again in game after that initial encounter and thought to myself why? Why isn't there more characters like this? Or am I just getting unlucky? Now maybe it's because this is the sort of thing that can be hard to pull off well for some people and they don't really want to take the plunge into something like that, but, I am going to. What I really want to know is have any of you experienced something like this? Was it enjoyable for yourself? And if not, why?  

If there are any questions please let me know :)

Why isn't there more? Because 2015 was the year of the crazies! That's why you don't see as much crazies or split personalities.

A lot of people aren't fond of crazyrp, because it can harm the rp that is occuring and can be interpreted as badrp if not done correctly.

I love when people play with your mind so well you almost fall for it OOC. If it's done well then it makes roleplay even better. I can imagine it being hard to pull off though and you will probably meet many people who don't let themself fall for it.

Lankin    102

I played a character with split personality. Itzal Croft. And it was fun. Though I did allot of research into it, so it didn't seem trolly or random. Itzal was a normal caring person who couldn't hurt anyone, and his split, Jason, was a complete psychopath.

Solo    62

-snip-

Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to do a little more research into making the role more believable.

Castiel    1124

There are plenty of guides on this. Personally, I would suggest contacting Aiko if you want some pointers on playing this kind of character, she does it well.

Razareth    213

Currently I'm traveling with FUNERAL and his character Katya Jermakova.

Really good RP of a person with split personality.

I never know where I stand with her. So never feel truly safe or know if I can trust her to the fullest.

Unfortunately the line between CrazyRP and Trolling can be rather thin. I have however seen some people pull off unsettling characters quite well in the past and it's very enjoyable.

As a word of advice to those who are new and inexperienced, find a guide here on our forum made by some of the outstanding community members or go online and do some research.

Aiko    568

As you can see a lot of people do splits, you just dont run into them or dont know hehe. I play dissociative identity disorder, which is now what Multiple personality disorder is. These kind of characters are fun to play, as long as you do it right and do your research. Most of the time people do no dissociate later on, its usually when they are young and beginning to develop their personalities. They use these personalities to try and protect themselves from things that happened to them in the past. Most the time the host, will not remember any of the trauma that happened to them. Having many black outs, and such.

What I do not enjoy seeing with DiD, is when people just use it as a excuse to be crazy and edgy. Its better to have a actual story behind why things happen to make them that way. If you go for this type of character, please keep this in mind. Do your research, check on what alter types you want, and what they symbolize and what are they helping you repress.

If you want more info, can pm me or respond here is fine too.

Solo    62

-snip-

Thanks for the advise, I've been doing research for this character for a couple of days now. But it's nice to hear from someone with experience and how they play this type of character out effectively :)

I have also taken the time to come up with some triggers for the split that relate to the characters back story. This actually came from one of the guides on the forums and I think this adds a lot of diversity to the characters illness rather than just the same thing over and over.

I did actually take a dive into playing the character last night and I think I may have gotten under a few peoples skins, they never really knew where they stood with me with the whole switch in personality's. Maybe I'm off to a good start ( at least I think so anyway;) )

zoyo    64

There's defiantly no shortage of crazy people in Chernarus.

I dont remember who it was, but a long time ago me and some friends ran into this guy at the barns near Green Mountain. He was a very aggressive but friendly kind of guy. The sort of person you would expect to be a leader. But here's the thing, he had this teddy bear. This teddy bear seemed to be what made him act the way he did.

I dont remember exactly how, but one of the people in the group I was with got the bear from him and he wasn't even a shadow of his former self. He was scared and very weak, and had no idea what was going on or who we were. But once they gave him back the bear he went back to his old self, acting as if nothing had just happened. When we tried to explain what had happened to him, he was convinced we were crazy! xD

Crazy people are always fun, however as mentioned in the comments there is a thin line between that and trolling. However, if it is enjoyable and well done RP, I'm sure that many people will laugh at it instead of getting all mad and wanting to report you for trolling. Try not to offend anyone and you're good.