Server time: 2017-08-20, 00:12

Sign in to follow this  

Putting 'real' danger back into the game

Lets be honest with each other, there is really no danger in DayZ at its current state. Glitches are the most dangerous of all PVE elements, as zombies are a joke. There are no wolves or bear to avoid yet and honesty gear is easy to find. 

I have been playing a different game on a different server that has put real danger into the game, that may be a great addition here.

NWAF, Tisy, VMC, Myshkino and Kamy all are surrounded by fences. Each has a defined border. We as a mature community should allow KOS, at night only in these areas. 

There is no way in hell Id walk up to a group, at night in a high military facility and strike up a conversation. 

You would either have to have some serious balls, or be crazy as hell. 

So, before the eventual 'you want kos, go to public' bull, think about this. KoS at night only in these areas. During daylight all other rules apply. It will add an urgency and danger to the nightime foraging. 

Now, whats to stop assholes from just camping VMC or NWAF and sniping eveyone who enters? To kill someone you have to have a Roleplay reason, right? This wouldnt change. You would possibly have to justify the kill in a report and if you couldn't a bad RP verdict would follow. We will call it Jusifiable KOS. We could even go so far to say that contact still has to be made, but the initiation doesnt as long as the KOS can be justified...i.e. raising of weapons, surrounding a player, blocking an exit, strong arm robbery would all be Justifiable KOS at night, in these areas. 

So, in other words, to avoid ruleplay and BadRP KOS, people will tend to initiate as usual, but not everyone. There should always be the threat of the unknown, and DayZ is severely lacking in fear.  

I dont have all the answers. The exact details of a KOS rule would of course fall on staff. But I can tell you..the RP during the day is fantastic, and the fear and urgency of the night is unreal. The night should be a time of fear a time of grouping up and finding shelter to await the break of dawn. The unknown factors of night should be a concern, and a deadly time to go out foraging.

The fear factor was lost long ago unfortunately. So I would love to see some sort of change implemented similar to this. People are too nice these days. Seem to almost forget we are in a Zombie Survival game. Half of the time I am on the server, I feel like I am playing the Sims or Second Life.

snowman9852    9

+1 i don't mind this even if it is until zombies are fixed.. it just needs a good set of rules.. or even a global radio broadcast sorta treat it like an event.

I kind of like the idea. But wouldn't prompt a lot more reports?

I am not against the idea, I feel that the game needs more, in the area of fear, but I rather not see a million reports for kos.

What do you consider "night?" There aren't clocks or any easy way to judge the beginning or end. Most of the time the moon isn't even in the sky.

Hagger    117

Making rules behave differently depending on the time of the server time is far too complicated and vague to make it work. At least this is my opinion.

Couple of complications and problems from this kinda rule would brings:

- Where do you mark the moment when day has turned into night and vice versa?

- Server time forces you to change your roleplay. Problem especially if you have little or limited chances to play.

- Sudden server reset, suddenly it is a day again!

- Increased ruleplay

But I do think we should have more sense of fear and danger in the game. This can be done by good hostile roleplay. Problem is not the rules, it is the playstyle and mentality of the players.

And I think they are bringing the zombie hordes, dynamic spawning system and predators in next patch. So just hold on

What do you consider "night?" There aren't clocks or any easy way to judge the beginning or end. Most of the time the moon isn't even in the sky.

I'd say that when the stars are visible or you need 'gamma goggles'. Or any type of light to see by...would consitute night.

I forsee no complications. The ruleplay is already present. I cannot harm you unless you do not comply. I have to care for hostages...blah blah....we all already ruleplay every single encounter.

I shouldn't have to wait until you initiate on me to react to a threat. I shouldnt have to wait until you decide you are not going to comply to my orders to harm you. We all ruleplay everyday. Adding this clause only strengthens roleplay at night in these areas. No more or no less reports will come from this as the rule barely changes. Its just adds a justifible clause during the night in specific areas. A clause that should be available at all times but ...I dont see that happening at all.

I feel like this is just advertising a slaughterhouse.

I don't see how this puts real danger back into the game. You either go in, expecting to die, or stay right outside the fence where you can't be touched? I don't know.. It just seems like a bad idea.

If you right up a suggestion for actual rules for this idea, maybe I could have a better understanding.

Ocean    6

This can be done by good hostile roleplay. Problem is not the rules, it is the playstyle and mentality of the players.

Although this is true, I think it has to do with both the rules and the mentality.  

You can try your best to give/receive hostile RP but a lot of the times people find themselves getting comfortable, it's inevitable. Yes the main problem causing a lack of fear on the servers is the players mentalities. But for a lot of veteran players who have the right mentality and amazing RP they still lack the feeling of fear or anxiousness. That is because I think the rules create too much of a "safe space". 

To be fair though, the rules are probably better this way then too much any other way. But I think if a bunch of the members and staff continue to discuss these concerns we can find someway somehow that a new rule (like how Thumper expressed, but maybe not exactly his idea) would help improve the fear factor back into the game.

Keira    1025

I can see people lying in reports about whether it was day time or night time and would have to be proved by the accused then with video footage that it was night time, unless there's some other way for staff to know. I think maybe one KOS zone could be reasonable for a short period of time to see the effects first and see how players respond to it. Day time or night time. And let it be very clear with announcements that this new area is a KOS area.

This can be done by good hostile roleplay. Problem is not the rules, it is the playstyle and mentality of the players.

Although this is true, I think it has to do with both the rules and the mentality.  

You can try your best to give/receive hostile RP but a lot of the times people find themselves getting comfortable, it's inevitable. Yes the main problem causing a lack of fear on the servers is the players mentalities. But for a lot of veteran players who have the right mentality and amazing RP they still lack the feeling of fear or anxiousness. That is because I think the rules create too much of a "safe space". 

To be fair though, the rules are probably better this way then too much any other way. But I think if a bunch of the members and staff continue to discuss these concerns we can find someway somehow that a new rule (like how Thumper expressed, but maybe not exactly his idea) would help improve the fear factor back into the game.

I play on lots of Arma3RP communities with rules similar (from what I'm understanding). It's abused and turns RP into shit.

Ghoozovich    263

That is a very interesting idea. Something I have been thinking about myself as well - there is currently nothing to be really afraid of when logging in, when you've been a part of the community for over a week.

Naturally, this can and will be abused, HOWEVER, so do many other things. Ruleplay is an issue more often than it should be, is the conclusion I have from reading reports.

I would suggest, if staff is up for it (because there WILL be an increased number of reports, some justified, some not), to give this idea a 1 or 2 weeks trial period and see how it works. No harm in trying it. Hell, if it descends into chaos on the 1st day, pull the plug on it immediately before more damage is done. Though, I believe the majority of the community is mature enough to handle this, let's call it, addition.

Plus it'll be a new conversation topic IC'ly.

OR

Or, or it would just turn into a shit-show and everyone will avoid those areas altogether. Either way - only one way to find out.

Keira    1025

That is a very interesting idea. Something I have been thinking about myself as well - there is currently nothing to be really afraid of when logging in, when you've been a part of the community for over a week.

Naturally, this can and will be abused, HOWEVER, so do many other things. Ruleplay is an issue more often than it should be, is the conclusion I have from reading reports.

I would suggest, if staff is up for it (because there WILL be an increased number of reports, some justified, some not), to give this idea a 1 or 2 weeks trial period and see how it works. No harm in trying it. Hell, if it descends into chaos on the 1st day, pull the plug on it immediately before more damage is done. Though, I believe the majority of the community is mature enough to handle this, let's call it, addition.

Plus it'll be a new conversation topic IC'ly.

OR

Or, or it would just turn into a shit-show and everyone will avoid those areas altogether. Either way - only one way to find out.

Agreed! Then if you don't want to be KOS'd - avoid the area all together. This could make traders jobs more risky and then they could charge more for the items they get from these areas due to the added risk or something. A trial period is the easiest way to test how the community responds to the area.

Goryan    7

But the KOS rule needs some clarification. Inside or outside the fenced area? If outside what distance is to be determined KOS?

Badska    2

We only have a few days left of S4, why not make it KOS til it goes and see what the upturn in use is. It will give a rough guide to how popular a KOS zone would be.

The main problems with having zones however is;

where do they end?

Can you snipe into the zone?

If so how do yo moderate returning fire from within the zone?

Folk firing from the borders then running out.

Jack the Ripper    249

When I first read this, I thought to myself "Nope, don't want it, ain't gonna happen." But then I thought about it for a while, and I actually like the idea, and I mean I REALLY like the idea. So long as its justifiable kills, no rule-playing, and only at night in military bases, I think it could add a really interesting and fresh element to the servers.

Yes, it could possibly be abused and exploited, but I think that as long as the rules are made clear, and people treat it maturely and tastefully, it would make looting under these conditions a LOT more of a heart racing experience.

+1 man, +1.

I love you Thumper and I agree with you when it comes to a distinct lack of fear when it comes to the community and the game but there should be metric shit ton of debate and discussion as to whether this is the direction the community should be going in.

I do not enjoy chill RP and people being far too friendly for the sake of it but I am a little skeptical on KOS areas.

I think people would abuse this too much. There would also be the limitation of the server size as since there is only 60 slots, getting people stationed in these area's would water down how many people you would bump into.

Other than these, it is a good idea

Hebi Kotei    302

While I am still sceptical about the KOS parts of what you are suggesting, I do see where you are coming from, it is 2 years into the apocalypse and people seem to be too friendly, fear is not being incorporated into many people's role play that much at all in my opinion.

I was never a fan of kos areas, they cause too much confusion and promote pvp instead of rp.

It's a no from me :(

And you didnt read anything past the first time I said KOS...

PvP is just as important to Roleplay as any other aspect. Actually its more important than campfires, believe it or not. Don't just say no because it involves PVP, say no because its unrealistic, or puts too much of a workload on staff, or doesnt make sense lore wise. 

If you read it all, Im asking for a clause in the KOS rule that allows people to gain KOS rights based on 'roleplay', and not rules.

Cid    332

I appreciate the idea, but all I see this promoting is people sitting around these areas at night and just fighting for the sake of fighting. I'd much rather fear be brought back in via a lore wipe or something like that. I just don't believe this is the way to do it.