Server time: 2017-08-17, 13:53

Sign in to follow this  

Trolling?

Question

If me and a bunch of friends (new and old) to the server created a bunch of mentally obsessed nerds who play as comic book characters from the DC universe and "Cosplayed" them in game, would this be considered trolling? We do plan on providing extremely good RP. 

Here is one of the characters. 

http://www.dayzrp.com/characters?view=3805

21 answers to this question

DarkSide    229

I mean this is a good idea and it wouldn't be considered trolling. But don't do it over the top.

Just remember, this is a zombie apocalypse.

If done well, I don't think it would be considered trolly.

Ramon    330

In my opinion no, at least I don't think so.. But don't forget you and your friends are in the apocalypse.

Like for example: If someone ask you to drop your weapons do not say something like '' He, is that your taser. Are you going to beam me up now ? ''

In my mind that sounds trollish... But if you and your friends are doing it good, why not?

That character page looks good by the way for now ;)

Brad    155

How do you intend to cosplay?  Not sure how people would understand that you are dressed in these costumes?

Also hundreds of days into the apocolapse how would the costumes have ever survived, and would it make sense in character for them to continue wearing them.

Interesting idea but the roleplay would have to be EXCEPTIONAL for this to be classified as anything but trolly.

That being said if you pull it off please, record because it could be legendary.

Castiel    1124

Religion: The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you want to avoid being trolly, this is the exact kind of thing you don't want to say in-game. ^

Why are they in Chernarus? Why are they "cosplaying" during the apocalypse? How are they still alive?

If the character has some depth to it and can be serious when need be, you should be fine. But in my personal opinion, it could go bad.

Brad    155

Also this line from the character page they're either extremely lacking in common sense or really really brave.

They saw the infection breaking out and decided to head into south zagoria. Tired of being made fun of all his life, him and his friends have decided to take action against the bullies of South Zagoria."

In my opinion no, at least I don't think so.. But don't forget you and your friends are in the apocalypse.

Like for example: If someone ask you to drop your weapons do not say something like '' He, is that your taser. Are you going to beam me up now ? ''

In my mind that sounds trollish... But if you and your friends are doing it good, why not?

That character page looks good by the way for now ;)

Hahahaha beam me up now xD No no we're not planning on doing that. We would comply with reason. We're definitely incorporating the apocalypse into the situation.

Religion: The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you want to avoid being trolly, this is the exact kind of thing you don't want to say in-game. ^

Why are they in Chernarus? Why are they "cosplaying" during the apocalypse? How are they still alive?

If the character has some depth to it and can be serious when need be, you should be fine. But in my personal opinion, it could go bad.

It's a real religion, check it out. 

They're cosplaying because it's the last thing they have left from the real world, there's no more video games and they want to continue the "Comic Book" series by creating their own adventures.

678 days into a zombie apocalypse and you really think people would go around cosplaying their favourite DC characters? Don't you think that a bunch of obsessed nerds would have other priorities?

678 into a zombie apocalypse and you really think people would go around cosplaying their favourite DC characters? Don't you think that a bunch of obsessed nerds would have other priorities?

Not necessarily if they're Mentally obsessed. Wouldn't you think the Clowns would have more important priorities than still torturing 678 days later? No, cause they're mental.

678 into a zombie apocalypse and you really think people would go around cosplaying their favourite DC characters? Don't you think that a bunch of obsessed nerds would have other priorities?

Not necessarily if they're Mentally obsessed. Wouldn't you think the Clowns would have more important priorities than still torturing 678 days later? No, cause they're mental.

I do think that there are loads of people in South Zagoria that have their priorities upside down, however,  yours is by far the most ridiculous.

How do you intend to cosplay?  Not sure how people would understand that you are dressed in these costumes?

Also hundreds of days into the apocolapse how would the costumes have ever survived, and would it make sense in character for them to continue wearing them.

Interesting idea but the roleplay would have to be EXCEPTIONAL for this to be classified as anything but trolly.

That being said if you pull it off please, record because it could be legendary.

We plan on having copy and paste emotes such as *You see a man appear with all black on and pointy ears* Whilst wearing a Balaclava and all black. 

Aquaman will have blue on and carries fish in his backpack. 

We will record, no worries.

Castiel    1124

Bottom line is, trolling is a subjective term. So there is no definitive answer to your question. Some people may consider it trolling, some may just find it hilarious and cool. I think you'd have better luck getting opinions on a General Discussion thread with a poll.

-snip-

Right, the clowns (from my knowledge) all have specific mental health disorders, they're not just 'mental' that does not mean anything. So, if this is not trolling, what mental health disorders does your character have?

I just think it's a lot more interesting than the same old backstories everyone carries. I'm not going to jeopardize Rob Sly's character by getting reported for trolling so obviously I plan on providing the most extremely well put together nerd RP there is, along with many 2013ers that are with me on this. I just wanted to clarify what the community thought would be trolling because I am relatively new, however many people who have met me IC can back me up on my RP capabilities. 

Yes it's a far fetched idea, yes it does sound trolly, but I mean some of the things i've seen in this community, I can honestly say that a bunch of nerds could've probably survived this long and went insane... It's not out of the ordinary to see people act like their favorite super heroes or have an identity disorder after a crisis in their lives strike.

Ramon    330

I do think that there are loads of people in South Zagoria that have their priorities upside down, however,  yours is by far the most ridiculous.

No.. I am not agreeing with this!

It is not ridiculous.. Why can they not be alive in a world like this?

Why is it not possible that these people are still walking around?

Sure a good backstory is a must. Why are they there and stuff. But still....

-snip-

Right, the clowns (from my knowledge) all have specific mental health disorders, they're not just 'mental' that does not mean anything. So, if this is not trolling, what mental health disorders does your character have?

Being bullied all your life causes mental health disorders such as anxiety, personality disorders, and many more adult psychiatric disorders.

-snip-

I never said that it would impossible for these people to be alive, I just said that they would have other priorities.

Oliv    1539

I tend to give people the same answer when it comes to questions like this:

You can RP as almost anything you want, but always be prepared to and own up if the reports come in.

A character as you have suggested could be pulled of remarkably well, where a simple more fitting character to the area could be pulled off completely trolly. Do your thing, but just keep it in mind, that it always could be reported. Basically I'm saying don't screw up and use this thread as a "but everyone said it was fine" kinda thing. :)

I never said that it would impossible for these people to be alive, I just said that they would have other priorities.

I just feel like you're blocking/controlling the RP from this character by saying that. How can you surely say someone should have such and such priorities in an apocalypse. I can't just go around and tell people "This should be your priority because it's mine and everybody's else' because I don't agree with or understand your character" It's 678 days later and they seem to have gotten the surviving part down.. Why not re-capture the old days and experience their own comic book adventures? These people are victims of abuse all their lives from bullying, they now have guns and empowerment that their costumes give them because they believe they are someone else whilst wearing them.

I tend to give people the same answer when it comes to questions like this:

You can RP as almost anything you want, but always be prepared to and own up if the reports come in.

A character as you have suggested could be pulled of remarkably well, where a simple more fitting character to the area could be pulled off completely trolly. Do your thing, but just keep it in mind, that it always could be reported. Basically I'm saying don't screw up and use this thread as a "but everyone said it was fine" kinda thing. :)

Oh I wasn't planning on it, I just wanted to get a feel for reactions before we went ahead and did it. Best believe i'm recording everything for the reports haha. Definitely don't consider this as a get out of jail free card.

Updated character page, and posting in general discussion for further conversation.

Being bullied all your life causes mental health disorders such as anxiety, personality disorders, and many more adult psychiatric disorders.

Sorry to tell you but anxiety does not cause you to continue to cosplay a year and a half into the end of the world. It certainly doesn't compel you to "take action against the bullies of South Zagoria", infact it is probably the exact opposite of what a person who suffers from anxiety would do. Typically people who have anxiety actually fear public interactions, it makes them unsure of everything they do because they have a undying fear of being judged and ridiculed.

So to say that they have a sudden urge (And ability to overcome their anxiety) to find, what nowadays would be heavily armed bandits/bullies and take action against them is frankly ignorant. General symptoms of anxiety are things such as nausea, sleeping difficulties, fearing the worst, panic attacks etc. Symptoms sadly do not include becoming a vigilante at the end of the world. I fail to see how someone who suffers from panic attacks during public interaction could decide to bring violence to armed 'bullies' in the apocalypse.

As for personality disorders, there is more variety, however they can generally be split into several categories. Most of which include things such as finding it difficult to hold relationships and jobs down, difficulties in trust, anxiety/nervousness, behaving aggressively or disinterest in social activities. Now I may be wrong but from what I know, personality disorders do not cause you to worship The church of the flying spaghetti monster, carry several cosplay items with you 678 days into an apocalypse or to seek justice against violent heavily armed bullies.

Now, I'm not saying don't do this idea, I'm saying it requires a lot of change in order to make it not trolling IMO. If there was a group of anxious cosplayers who somehow survived this far into the apocalypse (Would probably have to be a bit better than "they found some military grade weapons"), then I personally do not believe they would suddenly overcome their anxiety and decide to seek revenge against some bullies in SZ. If this was to be pulled off correctly, I think the group would have to correctly portray a bunch of anxious cosplayers, such as making them be a peaceful group who are generally neutral and are just trying to survive day-to-day. 

Mercy    485

As a cosplayer myself in a real life apocalypse I would be more focused on food, sleep and warmth in Chernarus if I was stuck there. As much as I love cosplay I wouldn't want to be dressed as Hatsune Miku with bright blue hair which just shouts out "Hey I'm a target!" Or dressed as a deadpool as I'm not immortal and go "I wear red, so my enemies can't see me bleed! That guy got the right idea! He's wearing the brown pants!"

If cosplayers were so obsessed with wanting elf ears they'd push on not wanting weird ears when purposely they do? Perhaps?