Server time: 2017-10-18, 22:20
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Falke88

Defend aggressively without KOS?

Question

Falke88    3

Hey guys!

I just wanted to learn a bit more about KOS by others experience and suggestions.

Situation:

I do not want to get in contact with a group of two. We both are armed. They approach my "area". I'm behind a car and pointing a rifle at them telling them to no move and turn away immediatly. They start to talk and tryin' to tell me that they're friendly. My character is highly warily and there doesn't want to talk or something.

As the other two people realize there is no way to be friends they raise their guns as well.

In a real life this situation would be an escalation and therefore I would open fire immediatly.

So what can happen now? When do I know who is allowed to shoot who? They point the guns at me even tho I was pointing mine at them. In a real life situation this would already have been an escalation and I should be able to start firing. 

What the situation here in RP? What do I need to do to open fire? I hope I don't need to say something like "I am firing in 3...2...1..." because this would give them a chance to act before me...nobody would wait for a countdown to be shot.

Please enlighten me ;)

Charlie

8 answers to this question

Vapor    0

As soon as the people that you initiated on didn't listen to you and pointed their guns at you, they've become a direct threat, you can open fire.

The RP solution is to try and talk it out. Apologize and explain why you aimed at them and told them not to move.

Falke88    3

Okay...so the KOS thing is only having others being aware that somebody is pointing a gun at them? So there won't be any "sniper" kills?

What about me pointing a gun at them...telling them to leave...if they try to go on talking - I'll do a warning shot?

I have a ban for attempted KOS because of a warning shot (which unluckily actually hit - sorry!!). I'm totally OK with that ban but I still like to play out the role with warning shots within the rule set.

DickSlide    250

23cec37bd0fe0f8140a13101eb612006.png

This here will help you.

What about me pointing a gun at them...telling them to leave...if they try to go on talking - I'll do a warning shot?

Never ever do a warning shot. If you want him to leave all you need to do is say "Dude leave the area now" This is a nonhostile way of doing it. Now a hostile way is this "Dude leave the area now or I'm going to fucking kill you" And if he doesn't leave the area after ample time has passed you can kill him. But make sure there is a good reason to do this

Aiko    646

As stated above, some people have answered your question. The problem is you can't do warning shots without first talking to them, and roleplaying with them. You can be aggressive, and very hostile along without giving warning shots. But again you have to make you attention's clear.

I have seen people pull off warning shots before, and it works out well but you need to make sure you roleplay it properly. But when you do this, shooting at them in general gives them KOS on you. Please read over the KOS rules, that DarkSide has posted above. I will also link you a helpful guide as well.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Echo-guide-to-hostile-RP

This guide will help with hostile rp and how to properly do it.

Also keep in mind, that you are against two people. Always value your life, and always prioritize rp over anything else. Has this answered your question?

Dustup    124

Hey guys!

I just wanted to learn a bit more about KOS by others experience and suggestions.

Situation:

I do not want to get in contact with a group of two. We both are armed. They approach my "area". I'm behind a car and pointing a rifle at them telling them to no move and turn away immediatly. They start to talk and tryin' to tell me that they're friendly. My character is highly warily and there doesn't want to talk or something.

Well, as per the seemingly new position with regards to pointing your weapon at someone and making a demand, you have just initiated on them.  They now have KOS rights on you.  While it is still roleplay over ruleplay, if they decide to just shoot you, it's your own fault for initiating as seen here.

As the other two people realize there is no way to be friends they raise their guns as well.

In a real life this situation would be an escalation and therefore I would open fire immediatly.

So what can happen now? When do I know who is allowed to shoot who? They point the guns at me even tho I was pointing mine at them. In a real life situation this would already have been an escalation and I should be able to start firing. 

What the situation here in RP? What do I need to do to open fire? I hope I don't need to say something like "I am firing in 3...2...1..." because this would give them a chance to act before me...nobody would wait for a countdown to be shot.

They are now not complying with your demands, you have told them to go away and they haven't, they have decided to pull out weapons and stay so technically you can gun them down, again you should choose roleplay over ruleplay but they are not complying and their behaviour in pulling out/raising weapons gives you good grounds to shoot them (but not anyone else who does comply).

Please enlighten me ;)

Charlie

Okay...so the KOS thing is only having others being aware that somebody is pointing a gun at them? So there won't be any "sniper" kills?

A bit confused here, if you mean you just stand there without raising your weapon and tell them to go, no that doesn't give you KOS rights.  If you tell them to go and have a sniper which they don't know about, and they refuse, you still don't have KOS rights.  If you tell them to go or else your sniper will kill them, then you have initiated and if they don't comply you are good to go.  If you are hiding in a building, raise your weapon and tell them to go but there is no way they can see your weapon, then that isn't really a valid initiation.  Similarly, if you are lying on the ground and they can't see you have your weapon raised and you tell them to go, then that isn't really a valid initiation either.  The initiation needs to be cear and unambiguous so they would need to see the gun pointed at them along with the demand.

If you fire a warning shot 99% of people are going to shoot back at you, as you have initiated on them and then shot, they have no way of knowing that it was a warning shot and not just crap aiming.  Since you have initiated and they have not complied, nothing stops you from firing a warning shot but you probably won't get to fire many more rounds off after that.  If you have not initiated on them though then don't fire any kind of warning shot.  Warning shots are OK under the right circumstance but as a general rule don't do it.  To give you an example of when it is OK (and arguably preferable), you initiate on someone and tell them to stay still and put their hands in the air, they instead turn and run, by all means fire a warning shot and tell them that that was only a warning shot and the next one will be aimed at them if they don't stop as you have KOS rights on them and you would be choosing roleplay by giving them a further opportunity to comply.

As another point for you, if they have large numbers on you it might be considered NVFL if you try to initiate on them, even if you are behind a car it isnt hard for a few people to lay down supressing fire, pinning you down while you get flanked and shot.

Best thing to do if you don't want a gunfight is to be hostile/agressive and tell them to leave but don't make any clear consequences that you will harm/kill them if they don't listen and don't raise you weapon and make any sort of demand.

Aiko    646

Seeing as you got your answer I will solve this. ^_^ Please dont be afraid to browse the guides, and if you have other questions post them here. You can also jump into the TS help desk, or pm any CH.

/Solved

Mauser GDog    0

This was a really good read for me, another new player. Thanks for asking and answering all.