Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:51
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
UltimateRageeee

Staff Announcements Thread

Would you like to see a 'Staff Announcements' thread?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 'Staff Announcements' thread?

• Yes, this would be beneficial.
    • No, I think this is unnecessary (please explain why)

So I'm sure a lot of you will agree with me when I say that a critical part of the community is the relationship between us members and the staff team. However, it has recently dawned on me that I don't always know who is actually in staff. Often I will be browsing the forums and I will discover that someone has stepped down from staff or someone has been promoted to staff, but this is only because their profile colours have changed. 

Therefore my suggestion is the following:

• A sort of 'Staff Announcements' thread is created. This would be a place solely for staff to post on, and would be where perhaps Rolle or the admin team post an update any time a change is made in staff. This would include anyone joining staff, anyone leaving staff or just anyone who is taking a break from the team. 
  • Alternatively, instead of Rolle or the admins posting the updates, the staff member in question who is leaving posts, and could perhaps explain briefly why.

To expand on my idea, I would suggest that no one other than staff is allowed to post here. This means that friends and community members cannot comment on any changes to the staff in this thread. By all means the staff members can create a separate leaving thread where their friends can comment, but in the interest of keeping the update thread clean and informative, I believe it should only include details about the team updates.

I understand that a lot of staff that leave will post their own leaving threads, and their is also the 'congratulations/birthday' thread where you can often find out who has been promoted, but these miss out a lot, for example, people leaving. Also, they can be easily missed, and having ten different leaving threads for each person who leaves is definitely not the most efficient way for people to find out. 

I can't see a thread like this requiring that much maintenance at all and therefore don't believe it would add a great deal to the workload of the admins (even less if instead of the admins it was the individual staff that commented). 

I looked through all of the announcements threads and could not find this, so apologies if this is already out there. 

So, thoughts, comments, concerns? :)

tl;dr- create a generic thread where all updates/changes to the staff team are posted, to keep the community informed in a more efficient manner and to bring staff and community closer. Only staff, or maybe admins depending on how it works can post here so no comments on changes would be allowed in order to keep the thread clean.

Vapor    0

Nah. When people leave, it's their own business, if they want to tell anyone that is their choice.

Nah. When people leave, it's their own business, if they want to tell anyone that is their choice.

Appreciate the feedback, I guess this is something I hadn't really thought about. 

However, if the thread just said something along the lines of-  'X has left staff, thank you for your contribution.'- then it doesn't go into personal reasons at all and isn't really an invasion of their privacy is it? The community will realise eventually that they've left staff anyway no?

Vapor    0

Appreciate the feedback, I guess this is something I hadn't really thought about. 

However, if the thread just said something along the lines of-  'X has left staff, thank you for your contribution.'- then it doesn't go into personal reasons at all and isn't really an invasion of their privacy is it? The community will realise eventually that they've left staff anyway no?

I understand what you are trying to do with this, but I feel that it is unnecessary from all perspectives. If you need an update on who is or isn't staff, go here http://www.dayzrp.com/staff

If you need to chat with a staff member, go to the helpdesk on teamspeak.

The thing is, people that are in staff can leave at any time, and it is really none of our business. Majority of the time, if a staff member is leaving for reasons that they would like to share, they will make a leaving thread in the introductions and farewells forums. http://www.dayzrp.com/f-Introductions-and-Farewells

As for thanking them for their contributions. I am sure that is handled in a secret place. ;)

-snip-

-snip-

I understand what you are trying to do with this, but I feel that it is unnecessary from all perspectives. If you need an update on who is or isn't staff, go here http://www.dayzrp.com/staff

If you need to chat with a staff member, go to the helpdesk on teamspeak.

The thing is, people that are in staff can leave at any time, and it is really none of our business. Majority of the time, if a staff member is leaving for reasons that they would like to share, they will make a leaving thread in the introductions and farewells forums. http://www.dayzrp.com/f-Introductions-and-Farewells

As for thanking them for their contributions. I am sure that is handled in a secret place. ;)

Yeah as I said in my original post there are already a number of places that this kind of information is found. But in my opinion, that's the problem- there are a number of places. This makes things confusing and changes can be easily missed. I just feel it would be a lot more efficient if it was in one place for people to easily find, for leaving and joining staff. 

I guess you are right about the fact that it is none of our business, I won't try to dispute that or say we have a right to know as it's not my place at all. Perhaps some current staff will shed a bit of light on this issue. 

Again, thanks for the feedback, I guess we just have differing opinions on this matter! :)

Now that I know about the Staff page, I'm not a fan. The benefit from this would be minimal at best; at what point would I need that much detail about a staff member's comings and goings? If we're friends, I would assume he/she would say something to me anyway, and if we're not, why would I care whether they are or aren't staff anymore?

-snip- 

A thread like this could be so much better than the staff page. How many people actually go and look at that page regularly, and if they did, how are they certain of any changes because all they see is a list? This thread would make it so much easier for the community to find it, and would take minimal effort to implement. 

As for the detail, you wouldn't be getting much at all. Unless staff wanted to add more, you'd just be learning whose coming, going, or on break, not any details about it. 

To address your last point, I'm sure people have different opinions but for me as a community member I think it's important I know whose running the community. I also think it's important that the community and staff team are closely linked, and this would help in that regard, but like I said this is probably a matter of personal opinion.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Jamie    1418