Server time: 2017-08-18, 14:44

Sign in to follow this  

Revisiting the "Abusing Game Mechanics" Rule for Survivor Camps

Here are my current thoughts on the "Abusing Game Mechanics" rule, and why I think we need to take a second look and possibly change it in favor of creating better roleplay situations, specifically within the Outrun camp. Before I begin I just wanted to say that never did I consult from anyone with Outrun to create this thread, nor do I plan to if edits need to be made. I do not speak for the rest of Outrun and my opinions and suggestions that will come up in this thread do not represent the opinions of the rest of the group.

Okay, now then...

I started thinking about this last night after reading the report in which Pheonix accused Kibuka and his guys of ghosting to get into the Refuge. In this report, Pheonix and the rest of Outrun were found guilty of "abusing game mechanics", for creating a wall of tents that cannot be passed through. I shook my head a bit while I read this, reason being that I think that it will ruin the current top-notch RP happening at camp. I'm going to attempt to show you three reasons why I disagree whole-heartedly with the solution of this report, and why I think, on a case-by-case basis, survivor camps/trading posts should be allowed to "abuse" this game mechanic.

I: MAKE DO WITH WHAT YA HAVE

Currently, the DayZ development is very slow. A fully-featured base building mechanic is not in the game as of yet, and therefore we don't have any ability to place walls, towers, or anything that is completely solid in order to secure the Refuge. All we have to make do with is tents. In the report it is stated that because the tents are completely solid, it's an abuse of game mechanics to use that to block off holes in walls or to secure entry points, which is unrealistic because they could be easily moved in a real-life scenario. And I completely agree with that statement. However, I think that exceptions should be made for survivor camps/trading posts, due to the fact that there is no base building mechanic that allows survivors to build walls or to patch existing holes, which is also, in my opinion, very unrealistic. Perhaps, on a case-by-case basis, official groups that would like to run survivor camps or trading posts can get permission to make do with the tents and use them to secure some sort of settlement?

And, didn't big groups in the mod get the rights to create a settlement, using the map editor tools with Arma 2? Perhaps the same sort of system could be worked out with groups getting permission to create these "permanent" settlements with the help of the tents as they are currently.

II: INCREASING ROLEPLAY

First off, I'm pretty sure that the Outrun camp is one of the only, if not the only, survivor camp that is "permanent" in DayZRP at the moment. It's kind of like a central hub for people to come down and chat, trade (even though we're not a trading camp), share information, etc. Forcing Outrun to move these tents around would remove the security that comes with a typical settlement that you would see in an apocalypse, which is simply unrealistic in my opinion.

Blocking off the bus station with tents in order to create a "wall" for the Refuge increased the roleplay at camp, and forcing Pheonix and the rest of Outrun to remove the tents like they are at the moment would ruin the current RP. I mean, yesterday was fantastic. When we had the tents set up like they were, we had guards at the gate, introducing the camp, we had guards at doors saluting Outrun members as they walked in, we had people that ran and got supplies from the guarded/"off-limits" tents (it was very Goodwill-esque, haha), and generally I thought it was a much better experience than people just running through the tents and unorganizing everything. I don't know, I just think that the RP was much better today than it was a week ago at camp. People actually had to come and interact instead of using us as a refill point. Idk m8

III: ROLEPLAY OVER RULEPLAY

Okay, I might be grasping at straws here, but wouldn't the abuse of game mechanics (to make up for the lack of building mechanics in DayZ) in order to make the RP more enjoyable for everyone be a "roleplay over ruleplay" type of scenario? If it can be proven that having the tents set up the way they are in order to create some legit security helps increase the RP at camp, I believe that being forced to remove these tents would be prioritizing rules over the fantastic roleplay that exists at the moment at the Refuge.

Okay, that's pretty much it. It sounded much better in my head when I thought about it last night but I was too lazy to write it then. Once again, I am only speaking for myself, and no other Outrun members should be scrutinized for my own opinion. Please let me know what you think (I'm probably completely wrong but it's cool, happens a lot)

k thanks for reading! have a good day!

Stagsview    587

Hello there! Haven't read entirely your thread but the report is being discussed at the moment in the staff forums! Will voice my opinion once i finished my thread!

Doc Phlox    24

I feel for your groups loss. And understand that it can be quite frustrating to lose what has been labored over, but I have to agree with the verdict and decision. This is a game in which losing your shit is everyday, it happens no matter what you do. You are correct that the development of this game is atrociously slow, and that walls needed to be added. 

But, even if walls are built crafty people will find a way around them, climbing for instance, or digging under. Even Jericho fell :). My point being that even when they add walls that are realistic people will find a way to get past them.

Using the tents as a wall just doesn't make sense to me, and seeing as how crafty people found away around the "wall" is inspiring in a way. This game doesn't allow for errors, if you make them they get exploited. Once walls are built, will they add a climbing mechanism like Arma3 to even the odds? If we are going for realism (like building bases) shouldn't we be able to counter it with ingenuity and that human need to have what others do :)?

Again, I understand that what happened is annoying, but using tents as walls should be an abuse of game mechanics IMO, I could knock a tent down in a second, or light it on fire, or cut through it, the possibilities are almost endless

I feel for your groups loss. And understand that it can be quite frustrating to lose what has been labored over, but I have to agree with the verdict and decision. This is a game in which losing your shit is everyday, it happens no matter what you do. You are correct that the development of this game is atrociously slow, and that walls needed to be added. 

But, even if walls are built crafty people will find a way around them, climbing for instance, or digging under. Even Jericho fell :). My point being that even when they add walls that are realistic people will find a way to get past them.

Using the tents as a wall just doesn't make sense to me, and seeing as how crafty people found away around the "wall" is inspiring in a way. This game doesn't allow for errors, if you make them they get exploited. Once walls are built, will they add a climbing mechanism like Arma3 to even the odds? If we are going for realism (like building bases) shouldn't we be able to counter it with ingenuity and that human need to have what others do :)?

Again, I understand that what happened is annoying, but using tents as walls should be an abuse of game mechanics IMO, I could knock a tent down in a second, or light it on fire, or cut through it, the possibilities are almost endless

You bring up a lot of points that I haven't considered previously, especially about the lack of realism in climbing over walls and such. I find truth in that, and when building is implemented, I think that needs to be an option for those looking to raid.

I have to disagree with your opinions on losing shit everyday, however. In a "real" zombie apocalypse, you wouldn't be losing your shit everyday; at least, people in settlements wouldn't. They'd have strong walls, probably traps along those walls, people with guns guarding the gate, etc. If someone ran in and tried to take your shit you'd beat their ass or kill them, especially in a settlement. It's unrealistic in my opinion to give a settlement no protection against the elements and other survivors, and I think that the loss of realism in using tents as walls is overshadowed by that.

And I'm not sure how long it was until Jericho fell but I don't say the Refuge is permanent as in it will never fall, I'm saying that it's the place where you can always expect people to be and interaction to occur, until the Refuge falls. And it will fall, eventually.

I really just wish the building system would be implemented so we wouldn't even have to have this discussion :/ but for now I think we should make do with what we have in the game currently.

Phoenix    1045

That means that there is no way for us to secure the place. 

By having the holes filled we had main entrance into the camp, so we could tell people the guidelines and interact with them. 

People were using the camp like a PokeStop, quite literally. They only came to refill their gear and then leave again. 

The Idea of creating a back area where people would have to ask for what they need at the counter, it would then be brought to them from the back, was a much better experience for everyone involved and gave a lot more roleplay than people running through tents and regearing before leaving.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    749

Honestly I don't see what the issue is. It wasn't like all of the entrances were blocked off, there were still ways to get in and out and the numerous staff members who had been in the Outrun camp hadn't seemed to pick up on any issues.

Doc Phlox    24

I agree with you that in a "real" situation this would be different, but as we know this situation is far from real. The game currently doesn't allow for any "real" settlements to be achieved, just with people not being on 24/7, yada yada. 

You are also 100% correct that settlements would realistically have some protection against people and elements, but again we can't expect true realism from a halfway finished game. My Jericho reference was just to point out that even walls are not the end-all-be-all of protection. I totally get that it takes time to fully bring down a settlement.

And while I want building, I am kind of dreading it in a way. Will the beautiful map turn into Rust or H1Z1, with half finished houses and houses with stairs outside of the windows to rob them? I just don't like what building becomes in these games, we will need serious rules about building when it comes IMO

That means that there is no way for us to secure the place. 

By having the holes filled we had main entrance into the camp, so we could tell people the guidelines and interact with them. 

People were using the camp like a PokeStop, quite literally. They only came to refill their gear and then leave again. 

The Idea of creating a back area where people would have to ask for what they need at the counter, it would then be brought to them from the back, was a much better experience for everyone involved and gave a lot more roleplay than people running through tents and regearing before leaving.

I totally get you Phoenix, it sucks but yes currently there is really no way to protect it unless a rule is made. If so, then that is good because it would add a level of realism in a way, but it also wouldn't, because then we are forced to see canvas as stone or wood

Unknown Entity    126

What bothers me the most in that report is that Outrun themselves were deliberately abusing game mechanics, to seal off an area with tents.

Let's get the facts straight:

- If 2 tents are glued together, you can easily squeeze through them.

- You can dismantle them from all around, you don't have to be at a specific spot of it.

- You could use a knife to cut the fabric and enter.

With all this, simply "sealing off" an entire area with tents is completely unrealistic, and abusive in my eyes. The fact that others were reported for ABOGM for managing to get through is a bit ironic.

Now, sure we don't have walls in the game yet, we can't seal off areas, we can't have real camps. Is this a reason to abuse the game in order to do something? No.

DayZ is still in development, and will be for a long time. More features = more opportunities. Until then we just have to suck it up and play with what we have for now.

Hide barrels with your precious gear to trade in the area, and have someone take orders, do the run and come back. It's the same thing at the end of the day.

With no visuals posted (unless done by PM or in private) I don't know if staff really understood the situation that they were accusing Phoenix of, which seems worrying. This is no different than what we did at The Colony of Hickory Hill (Bashnya). We drove trucks into the holes in the wall, fireplaces and tents at the door to appoint one single entry. We even were reported for the same accusation Abuse of Game Mechanics: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Bad-Rp-Abuse-of-gaming-mechanics-Loot-cycling?pid=1092266#pid1092266    The report was closed, but there wasn't any notice by staff of abuse. I realize the difference between a truck and tents, and that one is much easier to destroy, but we also used tents and fireplaces. I seen similar things before a lot.

To me I think as long as there is one entry into an area it's fine to block up other parts, it's an advantage and disadvantage to create a bottleneck and have everyone in a small concentrated area. If anything it's more risky than safe. I guess it's not that super realistic as they're just tents, but it's roleplay. I think big difference is they aren't doing it to be malicious, harmful, or troll, they are doing it for their outpost which provides a lot of RP to the community.

In another verdict an admin state, "Blocking off a compound/house completely that's supposed to be accessible for other people would be seen as abuse of game mechanics, since you are using a game mechanic that only works by abusing it's functionality."  That isn't what they did, there was a clear entry way into the area.

What bothers me the most in that report is that Outrun themselves were deliberately abusing game mechanics, to seal off an area with tents.

- You can dismantle them from all around, you don't have to be at a specific spot of it.

With all this, simply "sealing off" an entire area with tents is completely unrealistic, and abusive in my eyes. The fact that others were reported for ABOGM for managing to get through is a bit ironic.

Now, sure we don't have walls in the game yet, we can't seal off areas, we can't have real camps. Is this a reason to abuse the game in order to do something? No.

DayZ is still in development, and will be for a long time. More features = more opportunities. Until then we just have to suck it up and play with what we have for now.

Hide barrels with your precious gear to trade in the area, and have someone take orders, do the run and come back. It's the same thing at the end of the day.

Yeah, I've already established that the use of tents to create a "wall" is unrealistic. But, like Doc said, the majority of the game's mechanics are pretty unrealistic, and in order to create a better RP situation for all involved, I don't see how what we are doing is truly "abusive", even if we are abusing game mechanics to do so.

We don't have walls, can't seal anything off, can't have "real camps". Is this a reason to abuse the game in order to do something? If it makes the RP greater for all parties, yes. 100% yes. Doesn't that fall under "roleplay over ruleplay"?

And lastly, we don't do it to horde "precious gear". If we did it to horde precious gear, we wouldn't be giving it away. We didn't place the tents in the "off-limits" area to horde gear, we did it to force interaction, as people were running in, grabbing gear, and running out. This way, at least we can get some RP out of people. We're not a trading post. We don't trade for items. People drop off shit they don't need and if they need things, we get it for them. It's why I used a Goodwill analogy instead of a Walmart one.

Phoenix    1045

Here are two screenshots to of the back area that we used as a Shop area.

b029b1b547.jpg

446283d479.jpg

Melvin    84

As this is being discussed both here and staff forums, I thought that I would give my input on this issue here as well.

I personally don't find it wrong to have such an area and wall it off. However, I do agree with the lads backstage who think that it would be AOGM. It could be simply a way to hoard loot. Otherwise, I could just open a massive camp, wall off everywhere else except the entrance and stockpile all my shit back there while claiming that it would promote role play. I am simply concerned that if this is allowed, it would set a standard that other groups could do the same and everyone would stockpile massive mountains of gear and wall it off.

Yet, I do see where you guys are coming from and I feel that there are easier solutions to this whole problem such as driving together vehicles and removing their wheels to make a proper, realistic "wall". After all, keep in mind that tents in real life can be broken down easily and not be as impassable as a brick wall. However, I am all for Outrun being allowed to have their stockpile as long as the area is insecpted beforehand by Staff and given the green light.

LoneStarrr    84

Why? Why should we have to wait for more features before we have more opportunities? We are trying to do something unique and provide a great RP experience. I don't see why we would limit ourselves when we have the opportunity to do something great, even if it doesn't quite make all the sense IRL. We attempt this by sealing off alternate entrances into the camp. Thus, people are forced to head around front and actually RP with someone to get in. This is already an improvement from before in terms of roleplay. By moving the majority of tents, and therefore gear, to the rear of the camp, in a restricted area, we managed to have people actually come in and speak to us, RP, and just have a good experience in general. Before our decision to move the majority of things to the back of the camp, we had countless people sprinting in, going straight into a tent, taking however much ammo, any weapon, or any amount of food that they wanted, and just sprinting back off without saying a word to us. Now, when people come to camp, there are still tents out front for miscellaneous items and decoration, but if you want to get some of that 5.56 or 45 ACP you have to come up and ask. As I said, this is already an improvement as these people have to actually speak instead of just running in and taking whatever they want before sprinting out. I cannot grasp how anyone may see this minor flaw of "Tents can be cut, taken down, or slipped by IRL." And put it over the fact of how much it improves RP and the experience of everyone in camp in general. Since doing this, I have noticed a vast increase in the quality of the RP around camp.

Not to mention, moving the tents to the back allows them to stay MUCH more organized, therefor being more orderly and saving much more space.

Again, why should we have to "..suck it up and play with what we have for now."? This is a video game about zombies. Not everything is going to be as realistic as you may like. Having tents, cars, fireplaces, etc. as substitutes for walls has been done before, as stated by Post in the reply above. If it is so immersion breaking, why has nobody done anything about it until now?

Just as a final point. When you say "Hide barrels with your precious gear to trade in the area, and have someone take orders, do the run and come back. It's the same thing at the end of the day." I don't think you fully grasp what we do at Outrun. We are not a trading group. This has been spread around by people all over the server and it is completely wrong. We aren't here to serve as a trading post where we act like servants, bringing people what they want. We care about our group first, not anyone else. If people come in wanting to trade, we don't have a problem with it. We tell them to ask around, maybe see if someone else in camp has what they need. However, we are not here for the soul purpose to trade with them or give them free stuff. Often times, things are given out to those who are in need of it. We may trade if we feel it to be worth it or if it is personal and not on behalf of the group. 

Unfortunately, I feel as if you have misunderstood the purpose of Outrun. I hope I could show you the truth instead of some rumor.

Phoenix    1045

It could be simply a way to hoard loot. Otherwise, I could just open a massive camp, wall off everywhere else except the entrance and stockpile all my shit back there while claiming that it would promote role play.

Yeah, and that is not the Idea. We're roleplayers and note loot horders. The Idea was to create a shop system where people could come to the counter and ask for what they need without having to pay - Like a charity system. Of course they could give us something in return they didn't need anymore, but the Idea was to create something that would improve the roleplay as you would have to speak to the person if you needed something, as well as aid those who need something, as well as ensure we are not being used as a pokestop where people just run through the tents to refill their gear and then run back out without any interaction. 

That was the purpose of the entire thing, not to horde loot.

As this is being discussed both here and staff forums, I thought that I would give my input on this issue here as well.

I personally don't find it wrong to have such an area and wall it off. However, I do agree with the lads backstage who think that it would be AOGM. It could be simply a way to hoard loot. Otherwise, I could just open a massive camp, wall off everywhere else except the entrance and stockpile all my shit back there while claiming that it would promote role play. I am simply concerned that if this is allowed, it would set a standard that other groups could do the same and everyone would stockpile massive mountains of gear and wall it off.

Yet, I do see where you guys are coming from and I feel that there are easier solutions to this whole problem. After all, keep in mind that tents in real life can be broken down easily and not be as impassable as a brick wall. However, I am all for Outrun being allowed to have their stockpile as long as the area is insecpted beforehand by Staff and given the green light.

This is why I suggested that this is allowed on a case-by-case basis, and for official groups. Otherwise, yes, I could see someone setting up something like this purely to horde loot.

I do see (and agree) with most of your points, and I can only hope that you (and the rest of the staff, and the community) see that we're not doing it to horde loot, we're doing it to do something unique and increase the roleplay around camp.

Ok I am out at the moment and on my phone therefore I can't write a more detailed argument, however I just want to throw my opinion in 

Personally I am disappointed in how the situation has played out. I believe that Outrun has brought in a settlement and provided enjoyable RP to a large number of people. Our camp has basically become a hotspot right now and our group has endured constant trolling in the form of 1. Going online to find all our tents packed and despawned 2. People throwing grenades, flash bangs and smokes into camp killing everyone's FPS and 3. People constantly pulse checking and sprinting between tents for loot

And during all this we have still continued to keep the camp running because it provides enjoyable RP and a settlement which is completely releastic 2 years into an apocalypse. I mean what survivor of a zombie apocalypse would spend his days sprinting across the country.

For providing enjoyable RP at our own expense we have now all been accused for breaking rules, it's kinda demotivating and goes on the list for the shit that we have to deal with every day

But hey, that's just my opinion

I don't see the problem with the way the settlement is set up. Sure it is unrealistic that the group is using tents to block off certain areas, but without the ability in game to actually make walls or blocks, there isn't much they can do, to prevent other people from accessing their secret stashes or anything else that may be important to them.

I believe the utilization of using the tents is a good idea and a good improvisation from their part. This makes their settlement more realistic in terms of being a protected area and a good meeting place to promote roleplay.

People stay and chat, then they feel relaxed and calm. When I went to the camp, I was impressed with the amount of work that went into it. The group has done a tremendous job and it is very one of the best settlements I've seen in game.

I can see both sides of the argument. 

With the staff decision your only course of action is to post guards and keep people out. 

If you want a safe base, you need people to make it safe, until walls can be built.  

Placing tents to block an area is abuse of game mechanics. IRL I could just cut it open

Lori    16

o-o May I bring up some things?

-I've been placing loose ammo in all the tents to play it as "If they try messing with the tents, we'll hear the shells clattering about" as a reason the tents work. So taking down a tent would be too noisy to do ICly realistically.

-Tents can still be shot through so... it's still pretty realistic in that regard.

-Outrun has a long history of giving gear out and providing RP hubs for people to come enjoy.

If the "Abuse" of game mechanics has logical in character reasons for working, is it still abuse?

Ocean    6

Since DayzRP is a server that creates rules to enhance Roleplay, I think this should be allowed. I have never been to the Refuge, but just the thought of whats going on over there (a active community that has a camp with limited access inside) sounds amazing to me. It lights a fire inside of myself that wants to Roleplay with them. 

Many mechanics in this game/rules implemented have the ability to ruin immersion. But we do our best to ignore these and RP through them for the betterment of the community as a whole. So I feel this should be allowed as a rule for established groups. Think of it like how we allow events on locked servers to enhance the RP, that's a rule that was created but not very realistic to the world as a whole. If a group is strong enough and active enough to actually accomplish something like this, it should be allowed. 

I think taking this opportunity away from the Refuge would be more damaging to the community and RP as a whole compared to whatever problems would occur if they were allowed to continue with there idea.

Oh no they are blocking off an area for the sake of making a camp that promotes RP....whatever will we do....

^

my entire outlook on this whole situation right there. This is honestly pathetic they are providing an RP hub for EVERYBODY and all anybody wants to do is abuse it and cry because its hard to steal stuff from them. What they are doing is no different from the settlements of old where they leave only 1 or 2 entrances open why has this only just become an issue now?

Im of the opinion that if it furthers RP which it does they are providing an entire RP hub and dealing with the BS that comes with that for god sake then certain rules can be bent its not as if they are causing great harm by blocking off an entire area LITERALLY NOBODY went to before they put up camp there.

So can anyone point out the actual PROBLEM with them doing this? other than "because the rules said so" or "i can cut tents in real life" I can do tonnes of things IRL that I cant in DayZ its an awful arguement.

For providing enjoyable RP at our own expense we have now all been accused for breaking rules

Welcome to the dark undertone of RP servers I see that you're new to this get used to it.

We cant have nice things without someone complaining or trying to destroy it in an unsportsman like fashion

I can see why our tents would be an issue as it is blatant abuse, so I dont really have a weigh in here. The only worry I have is that since people now know that this is report worthy, people might try and get us banned for this in the future, if we meant to do it or not. Since tents are rather hard to manage when you have so many in a confined space (we have roughly 30 tents in a small courtyard of an office building), its bound to happen that we might accidentally block somewhere off or the gap between the tents is too small and you can't get through.

Like its said many times before, why don't we just make a secret stash somewhere a few clicks out. Wouldn't harm us

Melvin    84

As mentioned, the staff team is currently discussing this. Please do not jump to conclusions. There will be answers and a decision made soon enough. :)

While I admittedly have not read all of the comments in this thread, I will state that perhaps one of the most important rules for this community is being ignored and this come from a strictly personal viewpoint and does not reflect the views of the staff team.

As we are all aware of the rules and are more than happy to state what has been broken here we are overlooking rule 1.

Definition

[align=justify]You are required to role play a character at all times. No OOC events or communication may take priority over your role play. You may not speak OOC using ingame voice. Use the "//" prefix to indicate OOC text communication.

[align=justify]Your character must follow our lore and his back story must fit well within the current situation in Chernarus. Your character must behave realistically and appropriately to the different situations you participate in.

Always prioritize role play over rule play.

The Outrun have put alot of time and effort it to creating and enjoyable RP hub for anyone to visit, this in itself is a tireless endeavour as there are alway small minorities who wish to just cause issue or irritation. As they are not trolling or KOS'ing or even abusing game mechanics to gain advantage over others I do not personally see an issue here. Please keep in mind this is my personal view and does not reflect the staff teams opinions.

LightGhillie    84

Im going to write a quick thing here since Ive been in the Outrun Camp for a good part of my playime the past couple of days. I never found an issue in them doing this because it was promoting RP, when they didnt do this there was more people running in and out not saying a word. Now I have had and seen some of the best RP since I was whitelisted around 2 months ago. I think the staff should make an exception for Outrun and any other group that makes a camp like this as long as it isnt to horde gear (which Outrun is not doing). I have had so much fun RPing in the camp and it will be extremely dissapointing if it goes away because of 'abusing game mechanics'. There is no walls that can be built in DayZ yet, even though that should of been in the game a while back. So just let them do it because they are providing some of the best RP. (This probably sounds like what most people have said but just thought Id share my opinion)