Server time: 2017-08-22, 13:05

Sign in to follow this  
snowman9852

Civis with military weapons

snowman9852    9

I wanna know everyones thoughts on civis using military weapons 2 years into the apocalypse then i will post my own thoughts on the matter while using points people have brought up.

Don't care. It's the apocalypse. People will use whatever they want and can use to help them survive that much longer.

CorbSlayer    34

It makes sense for civillians to use automatic weapons because most people would agree they are the most effective in self-defense/killing in an apocolypse setting. If you were in the shoes of a zombie apocolypse survivor, would you refuse to use an ak47 just because you didnt have military training? I don't think so.

Marcunt    218

Guns are a necessity in an apocalypse. Most people would learn how to use them so that they can defend themselves and after two years a lot of people would be half decent at it at least. Sure, they're no experts in guns, what they're called, the different kinds of ammunition etc. but using them should be less of a problem.

The thing that bothers me more is that a lot of civis seem to wander around with the best of the best equipment at all times which, after this long, is a little unrealistic in my opinion. That kind of equipment would most likely be taken by now, maybe not all but almost. Yes, I know, it's a videogame and things respawn but in RP I think one should look beyond that and remove the barrier to add more realism. Things do not respawn in real life. (I hope at least)

snowman9852    9

Well with the ammo comment the boxes have the name of the bullets on them.. so after awhile wouldn't they learn the name of the bullets just from the boxes?

Guns are a necessity in an apocalypse. Most people would learn how to use them so that they can defend themselves and after two years a lot of people would be half decent at it at least. Sure, they're no experts in guns, what they're called, the different kinds of ammunition etc. but using them should be less of a problem.

Marcunt    218

Well with the ammo comment the boxes have the name of the bullets on them.. so after awhile wouldn't they learn the name of the bullets just from the boxes?

I think I worded it wrong, I meant more as in knowing what guns use what ammunition. I mean, I still suck at that in DayZ and I've played since release. (I have no knowledge of guns whatsoever irl)

Firestorm    1

I think I worded it wrong, I meant more as in knowing what guns use what ammunition. I mean, I still suck at that in DayZ and I've played since release. (I have no knowledge of guns whatsoever irl)

It is not uncommon for a gun to have the caliber bullet it needs engraved on its exterior somewhere. An extremely observant civvie could fogure it out eventually. Failing that, they could just... shove bullets and mags into the gun until something fits. At risk of breaking things, of course.

Marcunt    218

It is not uncommon for a gun to have the caliber bullet it needs engraved on its exterior somewhere. An extremely observant civvie could fogure it out eventually. Failing that, they could just... shove bullets and mags into the gun until something fits. At risk of breaking things, of course.

I suppose you're right, I'm just not very observant. But, as stated in my post the guns are not what bothers me it's that everyone seem to magically get the best equipment ever in a land that should be looted completely after two years. We all have our own opinions though!

Dingoz    41

400x250http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/walkingdead/images/7/72/Walking-Dead-316-o.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130401175330[/img]

400x250http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/the-walking-dead-episode-507-daryl-reedus-rick-lincoln-post-980-620x400.jpg[/img]

^^Just saying...  

I tend not to care anymore and as people have said, survivors aren't going to not pick up an AK or M4 (which are super simple to use) just so they avoid looking military 2 years into the apocalypse.

It's plain and simple. Two years into this infection and you don't know how to use a weapon, you "should" be dead. Even if you never fire a weapon once in your life you will know the basic fundamentals of it, if you don't you "should" be dead already.

Do you have to be a snap shot not at all.

Yeah, it's coming up on two years now - fairly certain that nearly everyone would've figured out how to fire a gun by now, and the ones that didn't are probably dead.

Doesn't take a genius to pick up a gun and shoot it.. any fool can do that.

Now, being good at it is another story... that takes a special kind of fool.

Skinner    440

I seem to be in the vast minority here but I have to say it bugs me a little to see an army of "civilians" with military grade weapons who shoot like navy seals. Farmers, merchants, and cooks who routinely hit moving targets from 300 meters with M4's, AK's, and SVD's, and they know every type of firearm, ammunition, and explosive inside and out. It's incredibly rare that I RP with a civilian who claims they don't know what kind of ammunition goes into a gun or what a gun is called, or doesn't know how to disassemble, field strip, clean, or replace attachments on a weapon.

I'm not saying every civilian should be Mr. Magoo (I know you all love Mr. Magoo references, I'm hip) with all firearms, but as much as we like to add depth to our characters by demonstrating our specific strengths ("I'm a doctor I can heal you" or "I'm a hunter I can track wild game and provide food" etc) players often neglect to add any depth to their characters by demonstrating specific deficiencies that help differentiate them ("I don't know my way around a firearm" or "I can't cook, I burn everything" or "I can't read" or "I can't swim" or "I can't see things that are far away" or "I am practically blind at night" or "I don't eat meat" etc etc etc)

I understand that everyone wants to "win" and you probably aren't going to "win" if you don't have the highest end military grade weapons and ammo and are all tricked out from head to toe, but on the bright side I find the RP to be very rewarding and I've received a lot of kind words of encouragement by shunning firearms.

I suggest you at least try not using military weapons for a while, stick with pistols or civilian rifles for a bit and see what you think. If you try it and hate it, by all means gear up like Rambo if that's more fun for you, but at least try it.

Honestly it's two years into the apocalypse. If you don't know how to shoot a weapon at least somewhat fairly well and you don't know some basics about weapon management, how the fuck did you survive this long?

It's honestly more unrealistic imo to see someone who knows absolutely nothing about weapons than to see someone who can name ammo types off the top of their head. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's on the packaging!

blackhills2.jpg

The model of the firearm and the ammunition it fires is right there!

a2d2ae7f45d9940da06af79e72b299c1.jpg

lmfao

Now, in terms of everyone shooting their weapons like Chris Kyle, that's a different story. But you're probably going to have a hard time convincing people to not try their hardest to live in a firefight.

Dio Brando    20

It has been two years since the apocalypse began and it would be rather silly if people were still alive who had never fired a military weapon before. I'm not saying they have to be an expert in guns or a navy seal when it comes to aim, but I am expecting every survivor to understand the fundamentals of a firearm by this point. If they have never fired a AK-74 or a M4 since the apocalypse began then I find it hard to believe that they are still alive and kicking.

I personally like sticking to smaller weapons since my character is a doctor and does not have extensive training. And I enjoy this type of play style because it makes my character feel more dynamic compared to everyone else who is likely packing the heaviest artillery possible.

My response is this... let them have guns!

18ZMj-.gif

Doc Phlox    24

I see no difference than a military person having one. It is not like civilians don't have access to weapons anyway. I know people who have crazy amounts of guns, some that are military issued.

Ramon    341

I wanna know everyones thoughts on civis using military weapons 2 years into the apocalypse then i will post my own thoughts on the matter while using points people have brought up.

I think my character will get what they want and how he wants it.

It depends on the character, but also on the needs.

And if I ( OOC ) want a AKM, I will get a AKM....

Please don't tell me you are against it...?

Wulfe    6

Honestly the difference between Military and Civilian now is rather small. We're all just survivors, and unless you've sworn not to touch one this whole time you should know how to operate one.

As mentioned earlier the caliber a weapon fires is on the Receiver or Barrel and the boxes have the name written on it. Not only that, civilians could be gun-enthusiasts as well, and therefore have that kind of knowledge.

That being said I prefer using the Hunting Rifles. I think it adds a bit of "color" to a group of guys with M4s and they're not very useful in public so RP is the only chance I really get to play around with them. But I have no problem with using whatever you want.

Masulii    24

I am adding my information bit in here.

I (for example) am playing basically "a civilian". He has got information about military grade weapons as he went to the military before moving to Chernarus, getting his training done. Now, in military, you will get basic knowledge on a weapon, get information about the maintenance of a weapon and such, learn how to shoot it and handle it in a safe way. Now, having this sort of information can give a certain idea on military grade weapons. Also, I am pretty sure that a lot of the survivors have seen some sort of a action movie with guns so they have the basic idea on how to operate a weapon (You put magazine in, pull charging handle and pull the trigger).

Also, the ammo boxes have the ammo type on them. Of course, 2 years into the apocalypse is almost forcing people to get a certain understanding on weapons and what type of ammo they use. If you have a AK-47 in your hands and you have 5.45 ammo box, you could of course try to chamber it, see if it fits. Now, if the bullet is either too big or too small, you would know that it is not the right type of ammo for that said weapon and you would be searching for the right type of ammo.

In the apocalypse, you will use anything you find. However, you having that certain level of knowledge on it is what makes the difference. For example, weapon maintenance. I believe not that many "true civilians" (and by this I mean, somebody who hasn't been in military) know how to maintain a weapon. With DayZ's mechanics, you simply use a Weapon Cleaning Kit on the weapon and it is magically repaired. However (I use my character as an example again), I know how to maintain the AK family weapons and basic cleaning of M4/M16 family. This is where it gets deeper. Now, if you think about it, a weapon that is not maintained right could break down easily or jam or malfunction in many ways. I myself maintain my weapon from time to time to prevent such things from happening. 

TL;DR It is apocalypse, I believe a lot of people know how to operate a gun on a basic level. However, to make the RP on this deeper, there should be some research done behind a weapon(for example, weapon maintenance).

It's two years in to the apocalypse, people have either learned to defend themselves or they have died off and this includes firearms training and self teaching.

People do what's best for themselves and being well armed in a shit situation is one of those things.

Species    239

Every soldier starts off as a civilian, always how I have seen it.

Badska    2

After 2 years in a country flooded with military grade weapons since the war it seems unlikely that the surviving civilians have not worked out the basics of using them.

My character has no military experience, but neither do I and would be quite confident of picking up an AK and making it go bang bang without too much trouble, however I would not have the first clue on how to strip & clean it, hence why IC i will carry an AK or M4 but once it's wrecked I dump it and start looking for another, no cleaning kits.