Server time: 2017-10-19, 09:21
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Lori

Suggestions for the Whitelist Process

Lori    16

So, I brought this up in a previous thread, but I'd like to put it up as a suggestion. What I want to suggest are some changes to the white list process. Before I begin, I'd like to mention that everything I bring up in here is something I've heard about or seen in person more than three times. First, let's look at some of the current issues with the process.

• In order to join, one needs to find pass codes. These codes can easily be found by copying and pasting the rules/info/guide into a spell checker. You wouldn't even need to read them.
  • Many of the multiple choice questions can be answered by ctrl+f'ing portions of what is asked on the rules/info/guides. 
  • One or two of the multiple choice questions seem somewhat redundant or have two correct answers.
  • Backstories often get skimmed over and important errors are missed on some new players, so they come into game with a backstory that doesn't work.

Some solutions to the problems I brought up are:

• Have the codes be randomized words rather than gibberish. Or, have the rules be images. It isn't too difficult to have randomizing images. You could easily set up a system of 20-50 randomizing images for the pass codes.
  • Add in one or two essay questions that require the user to type out, in their own words, what the rules mean and what not. To my understanding, this use to be the regular?
  • Take out the questions that seem vague or have redundant answers and replace them with the essay questions.
  • From my understanding only admins check the backstories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems very inefficient? I understand that DayZRP has a lot of applications coming in daily, and that admins just want to get on with it, but wouldn't it be better to have lore masters check over backstories? They are, after all, masters of lore.

Finally, I've heard several people claim "I dont even remember anything from the lore and stuff anymore lol I got white listed so long ago I don't remember." 

• Maybe have a smaller re-whitelisting process that can be applied once a year to members to refresh their memories on the lore?

MapleMooses    0

The whitelisting has improved a lot. When I joined it was really bad.. and way too easy to get in (no offense :P ).

I think the whitelisting process is good now. Everyday I hear and see people asking about the questions, saying they can't find the passphrase, etc.

It doesn't need to be stupid hard - it's just to make sure people understand the lore and rules. I think it covers lots to make sure members have read everything. It's up to them to remember and follow them - if they don't, then they don't deserve to be here and wont last long.

I could pass the hardest whitelist application ever, but it's up to me to follow all rules, keep up with the lore, and care about other's experiences on the server besides my own.

Shark    0

• Backstories often get skimmed over and important errors are missed on some new players, so they come into game with a backstory that doesn't work.

Some solutions to the problems I brought up are:

• From my understanding only admins check the backstories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems very inefficient? I understand that DayZRP has a lot of applications coming in daily, and that admins just want to get on with it, but wouldn't it be better to have lore masters check over backstories? They are, after all, masters of lore.

First point. This is largely incorrect. The backstories you hear in game or read on the forums largely aren't the ones that are read or accepted by the admins, so accusing them of just skimming over them and not reading them properly is unfair, in my opinion. I personally, and I know others too, often nitpick at everything in the backstories that are read. None to my knowledge are ever skimmed over to a point where someone's backstory has a major enough conflict that it's going to cause problems.

Second point. Won't happen. Admins not only read the backstories, there's also research that is often involved before anyone is ultimately accepted or denied. I would imagine Rolle won't be giving LoreMasters anywhere near the amount of tools that the admins have, and rightfully so. Admins take on a large amount of work, probably more than anyone (including staff) really knows. Ex-admins can confirm this point is accurate. Now, back to the suggestion, reviewing a whitelist application isn't simply reading a backstory and clicking accept or deny. There's often more involved in it, and I'd say 99% rejections and approvals of backstories are completely justified. Admins are the ones who recruit LMs, and for the most part, have sufficient knowledge of the lore themselves.

Sofie    0

• Add in one or two essay questions that require the user to type out, in their own words, what the rules mean and what not. To my understanding, this use to be the regular?
  • Take out the questions that seem vague or have redundant answers and replace them with the essay questions.

Finally, I've heard several people claim "I dont even remember anything from the lore and stuff anymore lol I got white listed so long ago I don't remember." 

• Maybe have a smaller re-whitelisting process that can be applied once a year to members to refresh their memories on the lore?

Replacing many questions with essay questions is also a good idea in my opinion. I remember when I whitelisted that the rules that I had to explain with my own words were the ones that I actually remembered and understood. There are good arguments that this will mean a LOT more work for the admins, which of course is not tempting for staff. But I believe in quality over quantity, and if we make people work harder to get in, maybe they value their spot in the community more? And for the amount of work for the Admins: There are so many staff members that would probably love to do whitelisting and that is qualified for it. Adding a few more admins to the list can be a solution?

For your last suggestion. It reminds me of the geek in school who asked for more tests. And of course we don't want and extra exam after the exam, but that is how we learn best! 

However, I have not met many old members of the community who have no understanding of the lore? Or maybe they just hide it...

Razareth    274

As a recent member to DayZRP.

So having to go through the whole whitelist application, I can say I really don't find any problem with the way it's being implemented.

I'll admit I did try to use the spellchecker method, but failed.

Which is good, because I learned so much just from sitting down and actually reading the articles.

Secondly the 15 question I found quite difficult and lost 4 attempt trying to get past them.

Resorting to TS, the forum and just really thinking about it.

Lastly my backstory after all this was given so much thought that I went and asked a LoreMaster for help.

Just to ensure I would get the green light.

Truthfully my story has change, but in the sense that I would only reveal the info to people I trust.

As my backstory actually puts me in a bad light, due to other people.

This is just my opinion though.

So take it as you would.

Eagle    409

The character pages should be used more to be honest,they can be an excellent way of correcting people's back stories without bombarding them in game and also making it easier to find certain people that you either have a reportable issue with or just need to talk  instead of asking staff who is this Jhon guy?