Server time: 2017-08-17, 03:40

Sign in to follow this  
Razareth

Walkie Talkie

Question

Razareth    213

Good day Chernarus, Raz here once more.

As we all know communication is vital for survival in these harsh times. As such I also keep my trusty Walkie Talkie in my Backpack.

However, I have confused and unsure how it actually works in-game.

Trying to find information about it on Youtube or the Forum has come up dry.

So now I'll just ask:

* How far can the Walkie Talkie reach?

* Can people standing close by hear you while you talk over it?

* Can nearby people read your message if you type over it?

* If you skip through the frequencies would you be able to pick up nearby peoples conversations if they are also using a Walkie Talkie?

Your help would be much appreciated.

9 answers to this question

Hebi Kotei    302

Hello Razareth,

A Walkie Talkie has the approximate range of 11km (unless this was patched recently). Since you are speaking/typing in direct chat when you are transmitting through the Walkie Talkie you can still be heard by people if they are standing close by. Skipping through frequencies may leak a conversation to you on that frequency if there are people that are talking on that frequency you have just joined.

Does this answer your question?

Stradic    252

* How far can the Walkie Talkie reach?

-Basically the entire map this update. Not sure if it is intentional or glitch, but either way it's great.

* Can people standing close by  hear you while you talk over it?

- Yes. They can hear you talking and hear anyone else talking through the walkie talkie.

- Yes. If you change chat from direct to radio people will be able to see what you typed if they are tuned into that frequency.

* If you skip through the frequencies would you be able to pick up nearby peoples conversations if they are also using a Walkie Talkie?

- Yes. You can hear anyone on a walkie talkie if you are both on the same frequency.

Ive heard the range can be 800 meter from a guide once... When you talk over the walkie it does not disable direct communication. So nearby players can hear or see things you say and write.

Since the walkie is not as effective as TS, I don't think many people use it. Always fun to try though.

GaryCash    23

The walkie talkies work great over great distances, I highly recommend them, I try to carry around two so I can give one to other players I meet

Razareth    213

Hebi KoteiHello Razareth,

A Walkie Talkie has the approximate range of 11km (unless this was patched recently).  Since you are speaking/typing in direct chat when you are transmitting through the Walkie Talkie you can still be heard by people if they are standing close by.  Skipping through frequencies may leak a conversation to you on that frequency if there are people that are talking on that frequency you have just joined.

Does this answer your question?

Ok, thank you for the range.

Also for the frequency.

So to clarify here. If my radio is on and switched to a frequency and I talk in Direct, it will broadcast over that channel as well correct?

So if I switch to the Radio channel (using the "," or "." button), what happens then?

- Yes. If you change chat from direct to radio people will be able to see what you typed if they are tuned into that frequency.

So if I am in Radio channel and typing to someone over it. Unless the other person that is standing next to me has a radio and is on the same frequency, they wont see what I'm typing?

A walkie talkie range is unlimited. I spoke to someone in Novaya Petrovka from Cherno, love it!

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Walkie-Talkie

"Communicating via walkie DOES NOT disable Direct Communications. It functions as Direct Communications would except it does it remotely. Meaning nearby players can hear any communications received over the walkie and anything said or typed by the transmitter can be 'heard' by nearby players as well.[1] If the walkie is left on the ground, anyone nearby can hear it".

Is this what you were asking?

Also I'd go read that gamepdia page for more information!

Ok, thank you for the range.

Also for the frequency.

So to clarify here. If my radio is on and switched to a frequency and I talk in Direct, it will broadcast over that channel as well correct?

So if I switch to the Radio channel (using the "," or "." button), what happens then?

So if I am in Radio channel and typing to someone over it. Unless the other person that is standing next to me has a radio and is on the same frequency, they wont see what I'm typing?

First: For the radio to transmit your voice you need to press ".", then speak by pressing caps or typing. Others nearby can also hear/see this.

Last: If you are typing to someone over a radio channel it can still be seen in direct chat by nearby players, even if they don't have a radio.

Hebi Kotei    302

Seeing that your questions have been answered by myself and other members of the community I will go ahead and /solve this. If you need any help in the future feel free to message me or come into TeamSpeak and enter the 'Waiting for Staff Help' channel.

Glad we could help.