Server time: 2017-08-20, 15:19

Sign in to follow this  

Getting a reptile?

For years I've tried to convince my dad to let me get a snake. He always said no, said they would just make a mess and make our house smell like poop - This week I finally found out he's just a little wuss and is scared shitless of snakes. 

So - After lots of begging and changing his computer background every day to different reptiles, I've finally got an A-OK. I'm beyond excited.

For the past couple days I've been doing lots of research, but I can't decide on what to get. Size and price (for pet & terrarium) isn't much of an issue, but I'd like to pick one that wont grow larger than 1-2 feet. 

I've been looking at a chameleon, they look sick af - but still unsure. I know I should get a "starter" reptile, but if I'm going to put so much money and time into it, I want to pick one I really want. I was looking more towards herbivores, but there isn't much of a selection. Iguanas get pretty big.. and I do have to keep the terrarium in my room which isn't very large.

Anyone got any ideas or helpful tips?

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

I wanted to get a leopard gecko but my parents wouldn't let me due to having to feed them live food.

I'm scared to feed them bugs... I don't want them to escape and be all over my room - which was why I was looking at herbivores.

Castiel    1124

Chameleons are dope. Geckos are cool too, and not too difficult to manage. I begged my dad to let me get a snake back when I was 10, he got me a Californian King snake. Had him for 10 years but recently gave him away as I was moving. Reptiles really aren't that hard to look after, but they do need some attention every now and again. I'd suggest a chameleon or a gecko, or if you'd prefer a snake - I'd suggest a cornsnake. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ramon    334

That begging/changing his background part sounds so cute! ;)

But anyways, I will ask my little brother for some advice.

He has something... I'm not sure what....

I've been looking a bit towards a Blue Tongue Skink. Still unsure D:

I also really want a Panther Chameleon.

Owned many reptiles in my past. geckos and pythons. Geckos are cool, eat crickets, low to mild odar do to crickets only. 10 gallon tank heat rock are really the only things as far as keeping them everything else is cheap. Also they do bite if tormented or hungry but doesnt hurt much. Neat thing about them is if they feel threatened, thier tail comes off and is freaky to see it laying there squirming. Pythons are fun, start with 10 gallon tank and heat rock also additives are cheap. There food is a bit more expensive... roddents. But remember that snakes grow to thier enviroment so if you keep it in a 10 gallon tank it will stay smaller but if you change the size of the tank it will grow to the tank. They also can bite, a little painful and you got to watch how you remove them from being latched on or you could break off a fang. But as long as you dont mess with them at feeding or during shedding you'll be fine. Snakes are low odar as long as you keep the tank clean after they pass there fecal carcass. I perfer Geckos cause they got attittude where as a snake just lays around. Although it is fun watching a snake kill mice.

-Mjr. Lee Fubar

Get one of these

604d17f017.jpg

DarkSide    231

Get one of these

604d17f017.jpg

I'm fucking crying at this.

I have thousands of snakes in my backyard :^)

I always liked these reptiles

5021488-9317846477-Godzi.jpg

Got myself a bearded dragon, not too much trouble and usually just chills on his rock under his lamp!

I'd recommend one ;)

Got myself a bearded dragon, not too much trouble and usually just chills on his rock under his lamp!

I'd recommend one ;)

Definitely been looking at them. Smaller might be better.

I have fallen for these: 

ssdiablo12-169f-0ef93e13d42421a0ef9ab2eed74473b7.jpg

White Gecko 

Or just get a turtle <3

Mercy    495

Leopard Gecko's are quite cute. Cleaning them up isn't really a fuss. Feeding them crickets/locus may be a fuss if you hate bugs or handling them. And they're really snuggling :3

Killerwelden    153

I had a turtle, but it died :(

Get a dog?

I have a dog & a cat - but I've always wanted a reptile.

Leopard Gecko's are quite cute. Cleaning them up isn't really a fuss. Feeding them crickets/locus may be a fuss if you hate bugs or handling them. And they're really snuggling :3

I think this might be my final choice. They're so cute :D

Bearded Dragons are sweet to look at and Ive been told are a nice starter reptile. If you're looking for a snake I'd say a ball python for a starter. With all snakes make sure that their enclosure is secure because they are escape artists. Tortoise are nice too if you wanted something that would eat lettuce and whatnot. I never have owned a Chameleon, but I have heard they require more attention than most reptiles.

Overall figure out your options as to what type of reptile (lizard, snake, etc.) then do research to find out what is best for your situation. If you dont want to feed them live animals (mice, insects) that really narrows down your options. In my opinion, the carnivorous reptiles are the coolest.

Happy searching!

Bearded Dragons are sweet to look at and Ive been told are a nice starter reptile. If you're looking for a snake I'd say a ball python for a starter. With all snakes make sure that their enclosure is secure because they are escape artists. Tortoise are nice too if you wanted something that would eat lettuce and whatnot. I never have owned a Chameleon, but I have heard they require more attention than most reptiles.

Overall figure out your options as to what type of reptile (lizard, snake, etc.) then do research to find out what is best for your situation. If you dont want to feed them live animals (mice, insects) that really narrows down your options. In my opinion, the carnivorous reptiles are the coolest.

Happy searching!

I don't mind feeding them live things.. I'd like to see one rip apart some mice. I'd have to get used to handling the insects.

bugs are just gross

Happy searching!

I don't mind feeding them live things.. I'd like to see one rip apart some mice. I'd have to get used to handling the insects.

bugs are just gross

Wouldn't be the first time you'd see a small rodent be ripped apart eh?

TRIGGERED ;P

Wouldn't be the first time you'd see a small rodent be ripped apart eh?

TRIGGERED ;P

that was a long time ago Dora ;_;