Server time: 2017-10-22, 21:16
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
xMarrk

Banditry and Scare Tactics

xMarrk    7

So, once again I find myself pondering various aspects of Role-Play that both I personally have experienced and/or took part in.

This time its Banditry and the Scare Tactics Bandits use!

Obviously at DayZRP there are many people playing the part of the bandit, perhaps this is reflective of a 'balanced' economy in DayZ, I mean... there's always a 'bad' guy in every story right? So working on this thought has led me down a few different roads; now its time for the community to discuss it.

We all understand that when you're the victim of a robbery or hostage situation more often than not you will be met by 1 to possibly 9-10 guns in your face whilst the questioning is on-going... which of course for the characters with a staunch moral compass is a terrifying situation, however what about the other means of 'extracting' the things you want, we all know torture is of course a go to... but how many other creative ways are there that we can use to get what we want; of course what im looking for is decently thought out ideas and prospects that ensure that whilst frightening, they still allow the 'victim' to enjoy the natural course of roleplay.

So the question of the day is :-

What other 'Scare' tactics do you use to get what you want?

We all know the obvious ones... firing shots at the feet, pointing the weapons yadda yadda... but in many situations the spoken word can be a powerful weapon... so let your imagination run wild and tell me how YOU get what you want out of your hostage.

*Take Note :- All points of discussion should be both relevant and enjoyable for all parties involved (i.e the Victim as well).*

Castiel    1124

Back when me and Wumby ran the Brokers, every now and again we would keep someone around as a slave for a long time. Break them down psychologically, make them think you're the good guy. This way they'll tell you anything you want, and do anything you want without even questioning it. Good times.

xMarrk    7

Back when me and Wumby ran the Brokers, every now and again we would keep someone around as a slave for a long time. Break them down psychologically, make them think you're the good guy. This way they'll tell you anything you want, and do anything you want without even questioning it. Good times.

Interesting; so, how do the 'slaves' end... how does their story come to an end? Is there an eventual release or more of a wait for them to mess up scenario ?

Finn    78

Need info? Just Rev a chainsaw beside someone's head :)

xMarrk    7

Ahaha, yeah im sure it'll get em talkin', just try not to drop it eh?

*just to let you all know I dont intend to use these in-game... not my character :P*

Unknown Entity    126

Well Zunns character got beat up in a bag by his friend, with a hammer, in front of his sister. That pretty much scared them for all our next encounters on those characters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Castiel    1124

Interesting; so, how do the 'slaves' end... how does their story come to an end? Is there an eventual release or more of a wait for them to mess up scenario ?

We sold them. We would put out radio chatters that we had a rabbit for sale, or back when the clowns and gamblers ran Kabanino we would hold auctions outside the store in town. :)

Commissar    119

If the person you are questioning is with a friend, I usually threatened the friend to get information. Know one wants to see their friend hurt, especially in front them.

Frosty    0

I just yell very loudly until they give me what I want... ;)

But really to be honest, yelling is my best way to scare people. If you can yell very loudly and not scare your neighbors, than by all means do it and see what happens.

Zunn    0

Well Zunns character got beat up in a bag by his friend, with a hammer, in front of his sister. That pretty much scared them for all our next encounters on those characters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uJfwO.gif

Stup giving me PTSD flashbacks pls

Malet    89

Uff, difficult because the possibilities are endless, but here are some I liked to use:

1. Psychological Terror: Give them a shovel and make them dig a hole as their own grave while standing on the edge and reloading your weapon with relish.

2. Waterboarding: Put a burlap sack above their head and pour water over it. Cruel, but effective.

3. Fake-Executions: Put a burlap sack above their head and make them think they are standing on top of a roof/cliff/anything high really and give them a slight push.

4. Pot hitting: (Needs a lot of fantasy) Cover the eyes of your hostage and place three or more cooking pots around them. Give them a baseballbat and tell them to search for the pott by hitting the floor. The clue: Tell them that 2 of 3 cooking pots contain landmines.

5. Electro shocks: Find a car battery and let the physic do the rest. 10/10 Torture-RP for the little price.

Hope that helps ;)

Taken multiple hostages? Make one of them torture the other, then reverse the roles. Breaks down any trust between them. Just one? Force him to harm himself.

Diamond    0

The best scare tactic i have seen so far was Hebee putting a bag on a guys head and saying alright man any last words randomly in the roleplay, then firing into the tree next to him. The guy IC shit his pants lmao. Best scare tactic So far

Bunny    356

I can't get the pictures out of my head D':

Surround someone, make them think something is about to happen, then leave. Your body goes into full alert when it think something bad is going to happen, even if nothing did happen. And this will stick for a while after you leave.

When I first joined, I bumped into the same group many times after they took me hostage once, and knowing something could happen made my heart race. Maybe I'm a softie haha (Definetely a softie). I eventually joined them though, felt less scared ;-)

Cow    0

Shock and awe initiations are my best way.

Or playing the nice guy, gaining trust then screaming at them and firing around them.

Confusion is the best fear.

Wulfe    6

This is some pure evil, diabolical level shit right here. Glad I haven't bumped into you guys (knock on wood.)

Hebi Kotei    350

Initiations that creep up on the person is the best type of initiation for me, they usually don't know what's happening until weapons are pointed towards them :D

I also like playing around with the light hearted and innocent beginning to a dark and malicious character and initiation style.

Karolis    0

I drug them down. They end up liking me. I sell them more drugs. They give info for that.

If you take a hostage to one of the school buildings RPing out playing 'hangman' is pretty fun. Using the chalk boards and a little imagination, and a baseball bat to maybe rough them up should they guess the wrong letters. I haven't done this recently since my character is generally a nice guy though. Its a bit of a change from the torturing RP and getting information is pretty easy after they've playing the game and lost.

Fox    0

So, there was a guy, he told me he loves to kill women and hears them screaming before they die, he was alone, we were two people. He played the smartass and wanted to seem scary. We ended up initiating on him, brought him in a forest and played russian roulette with him. We told him to count. After every number, we asked him 2-3 questions, then told him to keep counting. The closer he came to 6, the more scared he got. When he came to 3, he started actually giving us info, when he was at 4, he started getting really, really nervous. when it was about counting to 5, he hesitated, he started screaming and would have given us everything we wanted to know just not to die. When he finally counted to 5, he seemed relieved, he thought he wouldn't die cause we wouldn't let him count to six. Well, we let him count to 6. His pretty sketchy behaviour in the beginning, his smartass attitude changed completely to fear, he thought he would die. He finally counted to 6, just to realise the Magnum was never loaded.

Wumby    0

Lit

Defiance    96

I eventually joined them though, felt less scared ;-)

Yeah right! You were usually pretty scared! :P

Freak    38

I use my character himself as a way of getting to people. I run with a group so I have the number intimidation on my side, however I always let the person we're going to scare know that I'm the fucked up one. I do this through a distinctive voice and I mumble on about things, and slowly I build up the weirdness of what I'm saying. People that have met me in-game have went to the degree of contacting me on PM saying that OOC they were actually pretty shocked at how strange it felt, so I guess I could use that.

However, I don't see myself as a bandit, so I don't go around stealing people's stuff however if I were in desperate need of something, I'd do as follows:

1. Befriend the targeted person

2. Make it clear you're not right in the head, but never overdo it.

3. Head somewhere with them.

-

4.1. If you're alone ask them for something that you desperately need.

5.1. Usually said person will give it to you in fear that they get no reaction. If not you don't pull out a gun or anything, and just tell them it wasn't a question etc.

-or-

4.2. If in a group, have the crazy to subtly initiate on said person.

5.2. And so on...

Well that's what I do if I need stuff.