Server time: 2017-10-19, 10:55
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Razareth

Maps and Navigation

Razareth    274

Good day everyone, Razareth here.

After a recent incident on the servers In Character, I found myself without a map and compass. Even back in Casual I always felt these two items are a must have. Anyways my character doesn't know Chernarus. His been stranded here for about two years, but during that time he hasn't really learned the land. This got me thinking a bit.

How do you personally navigate Chernarus In Character (Not OOC ;))? I think this is more applicable to "Foreign" characters that would and should have difficulty knowing the landscape.

Do you use in-game map with compass (also does the marking still work in 0.60? I can't seem to get it to work)?

Do you use a 3de party map programs (is this allowed or frowned upon)?

Do you perhaps use the environment itself to help guide you (stars, clouds, etc)?

Basically I'm just asking what your thoughts are on how your character gets around Chernarus. Do you use the I've been here for years so I know the land. Do you have a sort of unknown trait (I sort of use such a element, my "first" time on NWAF I stumbled onto it by accident and didn't even know it was a airfield because it was dark).

Looking forward to hear everyone's thoughts.

Razareth    274

Roads are my saviour!

That is also a good point, but how does your character know where to go? Can your character read the signs? What drives your character to go to Tisy for instance? Does your character know about Tisy?

Basically I'm trying to see what makes other characters tick.

I personally navigate on the map in my mind and almost never use a map, even 3rd party. I just draw the routes in my head between locations I know.

Lets say I want to go from A to C, But I only know the routes from A to B, and from B to C.

The thing I do then is automaticly draw a route in my head between A and C using the location of A and C from B

In this picture Severograd is A and Devils castle is B, from thereone I draw the route of the quiestion mark in my mind.

e757748d5d9b4ef480c2f59ddc5398cf.png

GaryCash    33

Knowing that whenever the coast is on your right your either moving east or north helps, and vice versa whenever its on your left your running either south or west

Razareth    274

I personally navigate on the map in my mind and almost never use a map, even 3rd party. I just draw the routes in my head between locations I know.

Lets say I want to go from A to C, But I only know the routes from A to B, and from B to C.

The thing I do then is automaticly draw a route in my head between A and C using the location of A and C from B

In this picture Severograd is A and Devils castle is B, from thereone I draw the route of the quiestion mark in my mind.

e757748d5d9b4ef480c2f59ddc5398cf.png

That is quite impressive. On Causal when I usually try something like this. I just end up more lost and then have to find a road so I can find a town so I know where I am.

Though regarding your method, IC is it because you lived in Chernarus or have learned the area? What makes your character such a good navigator?

Malet    85

I study geography - I never get lost ;) Nah, just kidding.

Even though I know the map pretty well, I often use the sun (rises in the east/sets in the west) or landmarks like Green mountain/The castles/lakes to navigate. I once heard that clouds always blow from west to east, but I'm not sure if that is true. :)

Cow    0

Personally with my time in game I've found that landmarks, familiar places and copious amounts of map study and you'll learn even though sometimes I get lost in the forests of the region.

Razareth    274

I study geography - I never get lost ;) Nah, just kidding.

Even though I know the map pretty well, I often use the sun (rises in the east/sets in the west) or landmarks like Green mountain/The castles/lakes to navigate. I once heard that clouds always blow from west to east, but I'm not sure if that is true. :)

I've heard that before. I'm actually cranking my PC to Max settings for DayZ now. It's to help feel in the moment :P.

I also use landmarks. I find it the best way to navigate.

However I use far less in DayZRP. As it plays into my characters traits.

Oliv    1881

As a foreigner and some one who constantly gets lost, I try and always keep a compass. I know if I go south and east, I will eventually hit the coast. I know the major roads, like the one from Vybor through the triangle, northern highway and ring road. Major landmarks help a lot too. I do use a 3rd party map from time to time, but generally I just stick to the roads and use the street signs, start recognizing towns.

Thumper    0

There is a map and compass in game?

Seriously though, I know the map so well I havent looked at one since mod.

Dicey    5

My character's been around enough and has learned, mainly because of how he travels and wanders when he's bored. At a crossroads and have no destination in mind? Flip a coin. It starts with him getting lost if he has no map and compass, but when he reaches a place he knows he'll have an idea of where he has been. The blanks can be filled in as he goes. He knows Chernarus to the point where he can go as the bird flies in most cases and end up roughly (Keyword) where he needs to go without map and compass, but he still sticks to roads.

Doing this without any navigational tools may seem like complete madness, but there is a method to it.

http://i.imgur.com/EmZpGCp.png

Assume he only knows of the town circled in red. Pointlessly labelled A because I didn't put other labels in. Imagine he is staying at this town for a few days, and that the only thing he knows in terms of roads is that there are essentially four that lead out.

When he gets bored, he may flip a coin or roll a die or in whatever random way is handy determine which way he goes. So say he takes the red route. Now, he knows there was a road leading east out of the town, and that road has to lead somewhere, and that's the one he'll come back by. This means that every time he comes across an asphalt road, he'll take a right, and that should take him in a circle back to where he started.

The next time, he may choose to take the green route, doing the same thing. As the red route has dirt roads, he wouldn't turn right on those, and would end up following the red route back in. Then the next walk he takes, he follows the blue route to fill in the blanks.

This is even easier if he has a map to follow, but can be done without any, and he'll learn the road network as he goes. Whether it commits to memory temporarily or permanently is another matter, but following this he'd have a good grasp of the area shown.

Razareth    274

As a foreigner and some one who constantly gets lost, I try and always keep a compass. I know if I go south and east, I will eventually hit the coast. I know the major roads, like the one from Vybor through the triangle, northern highway and ring road. Major landmarks help a lot too. I do use a 3rd party map from time to time, but generally I just stick to the roads and use the street signs, start recognizing towns.

By using the street signs do you mean your Character knows how the read the Language or just assigns the letters to a town and landmark. For instance Vybor is the town with the Large Factory?

Just curious how other people travel in Chernarus :).

MapleMooses    0

If I'm going off the roads or to areas I don't usually make a trek to, I'll usually use a map. It's not looked down upon to use a 3rd party program to get around. Don't worry! :)

Razareth    274

But does your Character? Is Elijah Spooner a native and so knows where to go?

Did you consider your knowledge of Chernarus OOC and how it will effect your character?

Oliv    1881

By using the street signs do you mean your Character knows how the read the Language or just assigns the letters to a town and landmark. For instance Vybor is the town with the Large Factory?

Great question. It comes down to recognizing things and other things. Some of it is landmarks like Vybor's factory, some of it is knowing Cherno is further west than Elektro.

Some of it is recognizing the other of letters on the street sign and having some one tell me what the towns name is, then it's just my character memorizing it. You might come up with a different method, but that is what works for me. Befriend a nice friendly local to help you lean some town names :)

Razareth    274

If I'm going off the roads or to areas I don't usually make a trek to, I'll usually use a map. It's not looked down upon to use a 3rd party program to get around. Don't worry! :)

I'm not worried, just asking. I'd use a 3rd party program, but then make sure I have the map with me. Kinda like TS and the Walkie Talkie.

Skinner    505

I know the map pretty well, but I find it extremely difficult to orient myself in dayz so I always have a compass on me. I also use a third party map (izurvive) to help me get to places I am not very familiar with, so in-game I RP that I have a map (which is usually a blank sheet of paper which is an extremely useful prop which can be used as a map, research document, medical records, personal notes, whatever I need it to be)

Razareth    274

Great question. It comes down to recognizing things and other things. Some of it is landmarks like Vybor's factory, some of it is knowing Cherno is further west than Elektro.

Some of it is recognizing the other of letters on the street sign and having some one tell me what the towns name is, then it's just my character memorizing it. You might come up with a different method, but that is what works for me. Befriend a nice friendly local to help you lean some town names :)

Hehe. That is kind of the idea I'm going with. Though finding a "Local" is a bit hard at times ;).

poultond    0

For some reason the roads around Mcta and the Por ruins have had me walking in circles numerous times. I do try and find a map in game.

Thumper    0

But does your Character? Is Elijah Spooner a native and so knows where to go?

Did you consider your knowledge of Chernarus OOC and how it will effect your character?

No. I find that rather irrelevant in the grand scheme. If someone asks..I may or may not know, but when I play and need to get somewhere I go there, because roleplay can not happen for me, if I am 'lost'. Roleplay for me happens in human interaction. My knowledge of the map is irrelevant in character and OOC for me.

Wulfe    6

For the most part I know the main routes of the map by memory (traveling by road) and therefore I RP my character has those routes committed to memory as well. I do use iZurvive on occasion for reference. I just RP that I have a map, like how TS is a radio.

If I'm taking any cross country routes I'll probably need a compass and map, unless I travel the route frequently and then I'll remember it.

Descendants    117

-snip-

My character is from Navada, he cant read the signs so he just goes by what people tell him. Vybor to him is "the industrial town" also, yes. I do use a 3rd party map, but when I look at it, I crouch down and tell the people around me that I need to look at my map, then I type something along the lines of *looks at map*, last but not least, yes I use a compass, mainly because I like looking at it. xD

Dishes    159

I just navigate through places that look familiar... but I'm lost way over half the time anyway so :T