Server time: 2017-10-24, 02:22
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Wunsleh

Putting up a fake accent then where your character originates from?

Question

Wunsleh    10

So I have come across multiple people whom have put up a fake accent to hide their true place of origin.

For example:

American puts up russian accent to hides his american origins, only to later reveal he is an american.

is this allowed? in my eyes I think it's metagaming because in real-life you would be able to differentiate an actual accent from a fake one.

thanks in advance!

16 answers to this question

Whip    0

If a person on the internet can fake an accent wouldn't a person trapped in a country during an apocalypse?

As long as they have a reason to fake their voice and are playing a the same character there's no rule break,  its deception. You're always welcome to call them out if you know them to be american and could recognize their face in character.  

this could lead to some good hostile RP

Boston    787

I'm fairly certain it's allowed.

In real life, I know what several different accents sound like. One could RP this out and say that they've met several Chernarussians, etc. something like that.

Otherwise, if it isn't allowed, just throw on a super deep voice like me. ;)

Wunsleh    10

If a person on the internet can fake an accent wouldn't a person trapped in a country during an apocalypse?

As long as they have a reason to fake their voice and are playing a the same character there's no rule break,  its deception. You're always welcome to call them out if you know them to be american and could recognize their face.

because a microphone further distorts someone's voice to make a russian accent more believable, that said, also on the internet you can quite easily pick the fake accents from the real ones.

Cow    0

Pretty much what Whip said, anyone who is capable can pull off a differing accent to their original one, nothing there that breaks the rules and I myself have used regional accents from the isles in my own to evade detection/capture.

Does this answer your question?

Wunsleh    10

Pretty much what Whip said, anyone who is capable can pull off a differing accent to their original one, nothing there that breaks the rules and I myself have used regional accents from the isles in my own to evade detection/capture.

I find it pretty 'meh' that something like that is allowed but that's just my personal opinion. 

you can mark it as solved :)

Cow    0

Marking as solved on request, will leave it open for possible further discussion on the subject.

/Solved.

Sofie    0

I mean it should be allowed to fake an accent since people would probably do it to hide their real identity in a real zombie apocalypse.

But taking the point kinda away from the original question: People are kinda forced to always fall for these fake accents since we all don't want to be assholes and suddenly say to someone that their accent is shit when they are OOCly trying their best to actually be a Chernarussian... It will be impossible for people to separate those who IC put on an accent and those who put on an accent OOCly because they want a character from a different country.

Wong    0

It's allowed and people have been doing it for over a year.

It's always a laugh when someone tries to hide their voice by faking one but they sound the same..good time.

Zunn    0

Overall, yes it is allowed. However I understand where the OP is coming from, I know of many people who are Russians who pretend they're Chernarussians, I think that a Chernarussian could distinguish between a fake accent or an authentic one. Same goes for an American who put on a Chernarussian accent.

The thing is, the majority if not all of the community members cannot put on a Russian accent that would actually fool a Russian, but of course we just accept it when someone says they're Russian and are using a Russian accent. No one is going to say, no I don't believe you're accent is not believable enough.

Brad    158

I find it pretty 'meh' that something like that is allowed but that's just my personal opinion. 

you can mark it as solved :)

I have a character who is a con man and will use multiple identities and accents with the intention of leading people astray and so no one really has a full idea who he is.   

While possibly one of the most intensly complex and difficult characters I have, this has lead to some of the craziest RP sessions (in a good way) I've ever had.

I also tend to wear different face masks and coverings so that if I need to change the characters voice, it is more believable that someone may not recognize him as well.  

If not done correctly it could be seen as bad RP.  For instance you run into to someone and there are hostilities, they get away and you later meet them again but they have a different accent but look EXACTLY the same.  This to me wouldn't make sense.

Mathematics    0

Given my current character's actions, he uses a shoddy Chernarussian accent(due to interacting with quite a few) instead of his own voice, unless it's amongst his allies and no strangers are about. It's called protecting your identity. :P

SweetJoe    403

Its true, sometimes cow even sounds American when he meets me.

xMarrk    7

I would however state that when playing a character that speaks broken english (natively russian etc) the ability to imitate another accent or dialect would surely be some-what impaired; for example a chernarussian would probably not pull of a perfectly undiscernable british accent etc.

Cow    0

Its true, sometimes cow even sounds American when he meets me.

If I do it's unintentional. I swear.

Wulfe    6

I think its fine. Sure, maybe my Russian accent is terrible, but maybe Wesley's Russian accent is not bad? This gives you an excuse to RP away your pre-conceived notions of "That guy is putting on an accent for RP."

Regardless, this is a long apocalypse. I imagine some of us would be pretty good at accents if we'd be working on it this whole time. Even if our actual accent is shit.

Seen several interrogations where the subject was very clearly a new RPer trying to RP a Russian character and the hostage takers were being major dicks about "that accent is terrible you're clearly faking".

Yes, IRL you should be able to tell most fake accents from the real ones. IRL it would also be an actual Russian you would be talking to, not an American/Swedish/Spanish/whatever guy/gal sitting in their house. Gotta take both into account, man.