Server time: 2017-08-19, 01:36

Sign in to follow this  
TylerP500

Does anyone smoke cigars? (a call for advice.)

TylerP500    4

Hello, I am new to the cigar buying experience and am wondering what is a brand that has a good quality, flavor, and is mild in strength. Also I am curious about what brands you prefer and what flavors (if any) you like.  Also a price range per cigar if you could. Thanks guys and gals!  

Last cigar I had was a Henry Williams Red. Over in AUS, Tobacco is very expensive so I don't know how to compare the prices between here and the US.

Oliv    1550

I'm a fan of a good cigar myself. Best suggestion I can give you is search out some local cigar shops. There are some by me that I've been introduced to that have amazing house brands and catalog every cigar you by so if you smoked one and loved it, you can ask them what you bought the last time you were there.

I also go to a couple not so great shops in the sense that they don't have great knowledge but have great product at a great price. You pay less because you have to do your own leg work there.

Best advice I can give you is get a good lighter, one that's a bit more of a torch style, torching the cigar before you light it creates a nice burn on it. Also, remember, a cigar typically has 3 flavour profiles. Every third if the cigar will taste and feel a bit different.

But mostly, just enjoy yourself :)

Go speak to your local tobacconist. They'll hook you up. :)

Pretty much what Plank said, as a fellow cigar smoker I can agree that finding a good tobacconist will sort you out.

Samaritan    251

I'm no expert but I do smoke one or two cigars a year (not many I know) I did enjoy the last one I had, a friend brought it back from Cuba:

473x278http://m.cdn.blog.hu/sz/szivaros/image/Szivarok/belinda%20good/cigar%20037.jpg[/img]

Cohiba Robusto

Partagas D4

These are my favorite along with Arthuro Fuentes Brand, since the robusto size suits me the best.

But, find a good tobacco shop, then you have tons of cigars to try! 

Some Cigares I really enjoyed, Arthuro Fuentes Opus X, Cohiba Siglo VI, Cohiba 1966 edition limited 2011 and Cohiba Behike (all kind).

Enjoy !

Mostly smoke boomers using the cigar skin sometimes.

I have tried a expensive cigar before worth like 20-30 dollars or what ever, the taste was very different, I wouldnt say better but different from cheaper cigars.

Ghoozovich    263

Best advice I can give you is get a good lighter, one that's a bit more of a torch style, torching the cigar before you light it creates a nice burn on it. Also, remember, a cigar typically has 3 flavour profiles. Every third if the cigar will taste and feel a bit different.

But mostly, just enjoy yourself :)

This is what I'll tell you as well. Get a good butane lighter, or simply use the piece of wood provided with some cigars to torch it and then light the cigar. You'd be surprised how much that affects flavour. Whatever the case, don't use cheap Bic lighters or anything of the sort.

Beyond that, it's just trial and error, try different brands for yourself and see what you like. The last cigar I had was a Balmoral, which I found quite enjoyable - not too strong, pleasant, soft tobacco aroma (also payed only 20 Euros for 5 of them at the Duty Free in Palma de Mallorca), but you can always ask at your local tobacco shop and they'll get you started. ;)

When I was young I'd go to our local cigar shop with my dad. It always smelt so amazing in there. I loved it. They used to give me chocolate cigars all the time.

I would go to one if there is one close to you, the people who work there will help you out - my dad would spend so much time in there talking to the guys and picking a couple out. Have fun :D

xMarrk    7

So I suppose that more full bodied cigars are more expensive?

Generally as with anything You're paying for quality, anything that is more "full-bodied" is warranted by the price.

Start off with something a bit smoother but still quality, before buying top quality and overly strong, there is no use in buying the best of cigars when really it seems that you aren't too sure whether you really like it yet.

Smoking is bad. Mmmmkay.

TylerP500    4

So I suppose that more full bodied cigars are more expensive?

Generally as with anything You're paying for quality, anything that is more "full-bodied" is warranted by the price.

Start off with something a bit smoother but still quality, before buying top quality and overly strong, there is no use in buying the best of cigars when really it seems that you aren't too sure whether you really like it yet.

Of course, I planned to start off with CAO because by the looks of it, they are a mid grade and seem to be mentioned a lot.

xMarrk    7

Of course, I planned to start off with CAO because by the looks of it, they are a mid grade and seem to be mentioned a lot.

That sounds awesome my man; Good Luck!

Oliv    1550

Finally found a pic of the one I had a couple weekends ago. House blend from a very reputable local cigar shop.

Square-ish in shape, this was one of the best smokes I've had. No punchy taste, just a nice 3 stage smoke. Burned it down to about an inch left, no harsh taste. The square shape is actually really cool, my brother in law supplied me with it and uses these when he's golfing cause he can lay it down on the golf cart and it wont roll away. Was approx $15 CDN.

ce758d_cf18fd4e306f414e89bf276332e22103.jpg

One I had before that was a cheap one made locally in Toronto from House of Horvath. Was fresh, around $6, burned decently, held it's ash well. Last third was a harsher smoke, but other than that, was fantastic for the price.

I'm excited to see how many cigar fans we have here though, this is awesome.

Hagger    117

CAN WE GET A CIGAR THREAD!

Well, isn't this it?

TylerP500    4

CAN WE GET A CIGAR THREAD!

Well, isn't this it?

YES, but still I was aiming for more of a show of collections and a general discussion sort of thread as opposed to a advice corner such as this.  oh and a big thank you to everyone, really helped me out.