Server time: 2017-08-18, 16:40

Sign in to follow this  
Finn

Encountering nothing but jerks

Finn    76

I'm going to try and keep out as much salt from this post as possible, and I will not be pointing fingers at anyone as well.

The fact is, lets say you're on an full server, barely able to find anyone to have a conversation with and then you bump into someone and they decide to talk to you, and you're like "Oh finally, someone to talk to." and you start talking and not even 10 seconds into your conversation they insult you. Well this is no problem, I'll just tell them to f*ck off and I'll move on. So you decided to mosey on along and find someone else to talk to and you bump into another, you are happy to possibly find someone nice to talk to, but you only find out that this guy is in the other guys group so he decides to insult you as well, this goes on until you realize that this is the only group of people in the area so you decide to move on, since this group may be large enough to take up a fifth of the server you aren't able to find anyone else to roleplay with, which ultimately makes all of your roleplay that session, consist of continuously being insulted.

I'm not trying to be sensitive, I'm not trying to change how you roleplay, as it's completely up to you. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same situation or has felt the same way.

Ramon    331

I largely agree with you. I don't know really why most people are just " jerks " ingame.

Often in my experience talks are short and quick.

But trust me.... There are friendly people on the servers! You only need to find them haha.

xMarrk    7

I'm going to try and keep out as much salt from this post as possible, and I will not be pointing fingers at anyone as well.

The fact is, lets say you're on an full server, barely able to find anyone to have a conversation with and then you bump into someone and they decide to talk to you, and you're like "Oh finally, someone to talk to." and you start talking and not even 10 seconds into your conversation they insult you. Well this is no problem, I'll just tell them to f*ck off and I'll move on. So you decided to mosey on along and find someone else to talk to and you bump into another, you are happy to possibly find someone nice to talk to, but you only find out that this guy is in the other guys group so he decides to insult you as well, this goes on until you realize that this is the only group of people in the area so you decide to move on, since this group may be large enough to take up a fifth of the server you aren't able to find anyone else to roleplay with, which ultimately makes all of your roleplay that session, consist of continuously being insulted.

I'm not trying to be sensitive, I'm not trying to change how you roleplay, as it's completely up to you. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same situation or has felt the same way.

Very Much So!

This doesn't happen all the time however, perhaps its an indication of the location in which you are exploring to find some role-play, there is of course a high volume of bandits and "bad-boys" but perhaps this too is indicative of the struggles those characters have faced... Have you tried thinking of the way they talk in a different light? as I said... maybe its something deeper than just a "rock-solid" attitude.

I do very much appreciate that you are running into a lot of the characters that aren't the nicest people, so I would maybe recommend trying a different location, try not to sound to... suspicious when you greet somebody... you dont need to ask somebodies name for the sake of a 30 second conversation, this can put certain characters on edge.

All in all, I can really only recommend trying to view those characters in a different light, changing the location of your characters travels (naturally of course... give him a reason to change places), and being a little easier on the conversation, but this is just me... I mean to me, even walking past somebody, looking over and nodding with a simple hello and then going on your way is still a fairly nice reminder that society is still around in some way in chernarus.

Yeah. You meet people like, but the thing is, this is the kind of roleplay they wish to provide and you just have to deal with it. Well, of course, if they aren't making any effort to provide some kind of roleplay in future encounters then that's when you have a problem.

You will soon enough find people that are good and won't be complete assholes. The other alternative is to join a group and play with them internally.

Defiance    96

I'd contact a good aligned group and try to meet up with them. Assholes (like me) plague the wasteland.

Conye    0

I completely agree man. I like to play as a friendly guy, and it can be really annoying when you come across people who don't want to do anything except be an arsehole. After spending a lot of my time in Kabanino and Stary you quickly realize how many people go out of their way just to be rude. A big problem that I've noticed is people in larger groups targeting lone wolfs / people with no friends on the server (such as myself) and just bullying / harassing them with a mob mentality, and I get the whole RP side of out completely, I just wish people would be more considerate.

There are times meeting a character that is a jerk can be interesting, try challenging them or if your character isn't very confrontational try something else. If you just move along after they insult you of course the rp will suck, try and give something back and create somewhat of a scenario.

I also understand some characters are just jerks and won't want to interact much but its worth a try with people you meet.

I'm a jerk IC, but only to those who come right off as annoying "Wanna trade" instant jerk mode activated then.

SpaceCowboy    226

HEY FINN! I am sorry you seem to find the assholes. It is a plague that roams this land but hey, its the apocalypse what are people gonna do when people and infected are out to get you. Your shield is up at all times. You just gotta look hard enough to find that one good guy/good guys to be with and roam around with. We are all out there, myself included. I hope to see another friendly face out there ;)

Dustup    118

I do understand where you are coming from but this isn't exactly a new problem.   Some peoples characters are naturally assholes all or most of the time, and while it can get frustrating at times when you keep running into the same types of people (lets face it, there are a lot of them) I don't think they should have to change who their character is just to placate others who don't want to run into people like this (and I am aware that you are not suggesting this).

I have run into my fair share, and there are times when IG I will be an asshole because I don't like something about the person IG (maybe the way they approached me, the way they start the conversation, etc) but I keep this IG, just as I keep people being assholes IG.  Some of the nicest people I have talked to in this community have characters who are the biggest assholes IG.  If it gets that bad, and it is obvious that you aren't going to find anything better in a hurry, and you have already spent a considerable time searching other areas,I don't see anything wrong with switching servers and hopefully finding friendlier people (assuming there is nothing stopping you from switching such as KOS timer etc).

Reinhardt    16

(Excuse the excessive vulgar language below. Its the only way I feel my opinion can be shared clearly.)

I get what you mean. There are terms in RP where you can use the 'jerk' role appropriately. For example; Pointing your gun at someone and asking aggressive questions such as 'Who the fuck are you!?' or 'Have you been following me or something?' 'The fuck do you want from me?', things like that display a character developed in paranoia and no other interest other than to survive which I believe is acceptable and gives a scenario that can be developed on.

What I can agree on you with though is the kinds of players who completely disregard the conditions their character are in. Its an apocalypse in the character's eyes, not a call of duty game. So when somebody comes along and says 'Hey!' to you, you don't reply with something like 'Fuck off, cunt.' or 'Fuck you' only to deliver very short, blunt and disinterested sentences with little RP.

Once again, it is an apocalypse. Any signs of survivors should be seen as a window of opportunity for other survivors to interact with. Make an interesting scenario that is what the server is for. It is RP, after all! If you want to play without wanting to interact that much or just to insult someone who just wants a conversation with you; Play Public.

To summarise; If you're going to be a douche in DayZRP, be a douche properly and make the experience fun for both parties. Not just have the guy feel annoyed because all the interaction is is either wave after wave of insults OR even worse at times an initiation within 5 seconds of saying hi.

RP comes first, Boys and Gals.

isocade    90

I feel you man. The worst is when you're traveling, either alone or with a group, and literally EVERY PERSON you come across has to be this awkward and dragged out confrontation of them interrogating you while they have you surrounded. It's extremely annoying, and genuinely makes me want to stop playing on the community because, when alone, that's all I encounter if I find a group of three or more. Even if I avoid them, they hunt me down and interrogate me on why I was avoiding them and all that shit. It's like no one ever thinks anymore, it's a fucking obnoxious mentality and people should abandon it as soon as possible because it just forces you into uncomfortable and usually annoying situations in which you get asked the same questions that every other group asks you all the time.

Here's a very interesting concept, it might blow the minds of some people out there. Ready? Here it is.

You don't have to stop and talk to every single person you see.

Finn    76

Just to be clear, I do agree that there should be a lot of assholes after a disaster such as a zombie infection. It would just really help if there was a bit of roleplay involved in why I'm being treated so badly. I indeed do go along with the RP, having the situations affecting my characters mood and how he treats others in the future, but having these situations happen removes all my motivation to roleplay just as if someone would have KOS'd me.

It would be great to have at least some RP involved, because there are many cases:

I'd say hello, the stranger responds with: "Your voice sounds gay, are you a homosexual?"

I'd be talking with someone in town and some people I met earlier come in and say "Fuck you" as I'm having a conversation.

Whats your name?... Oh, that's a females name.

and it goes on and on.

This gives me very bad headaches... Especially since these were the only people I could find in an hour of playing as well as hopping servers.

Edit: Oh, and just to be clear, all of these people stopped me for a conversation.

WillPG    0

I play alone at the moment so bumping into people is always a great thing for me as I get to share a RP experience, however I can relate to your experiences and I too have come in contact with groups and being someone who doesn't have or has very little connections on the server the groups can easily overpower you in any situation.

I have come in contact with rude players only a handful of times but all my other experiences have been good and I've been able to exchange and share a good time RPing with the people I meet.

Sorry you've bee having a tough time!

Well, as you stated there should be a high amount of assholes after the disaster which was the outbreak. However, there is a difference between an asshole who actually knows how to direct RP, and an asshole who just throws insults at you for no reason. The problem for me, arises when it just seems like they're trying to get a reaction out of you, or the only thing they can actually say, is an insult.

Not much you can do about the people who are just jerks and have no direction or end goal for their RP encounter with you. Personally, I'm not really finding that many assholes, but surely it makes finding a nice person IC more rewarding? Overall, I don't think it's really that big of a problem, people will learn over time to make hostile encounters enjoyable for both parties. You might want to give these people you have met feedback, other to help them improve.

Defiance    96

I'd say hello, the stranger responds with: "Your voice sounds gay, are you a homosexual?"

If this actually happened, then you should consider filing a report if you have evidence.

Stuff like that is not acceptable here when it's done in poor taste.

Finn    76

If this actually happened, then you should consider filing a report if you have evidence.

Yeah, I know. But I didn't consider it at that time.

I just had a real nice friendly encounter on S4. Was at the Mishinko tents looking for ammo and a buttstock and ran into a player with black beret, all black, and black skull bandana on his face. I thought "Oh crap...this is gonna be a hostage situation".

Turned out he popped in the tent I was searching, introduced himself, had a nice 3 or 4 min conversation... he then asked if I needed anything special. I told him was looking for ammo for my M4 (I rp that I know my weapons as I was prior US Army)...he said sure..and dropped some ammo. I offered 2 SVD clips in exchange but he didn't need them.

No jerkiness...no hostage... nice exchange of two survivors looking to live. (wish I knew his name..I terrible at remembering names...) but a big S! (salute) to him for being calm minded and realizing we are all in the S**Thole together...

I haven't been active lately so I'm not really updated with the current situation on the servers. Before I did not experience as much hostility as you do, not sure about the reasons but I can guess a few... I feel like many people have a hostile approach because they are desperate to make their characters seem as badass as they want them to be, and go with the easy but terrible solution. Some probably also do it because they want to be able to get into a hostile situation with you.

However, this statement of yours, I can agree with: "...until you realize that this is the only group of people in the area so you decide to move on, since this group may be large enough to take up a fifth of the server you aren't able to find anyone else to roleplay with, which ultimately makes all of your roleplay that session, consist of continuously being insulted.". Often people who allow themselves to be assholes are in huge groups, not daring to do it on their own because they don't want you to end up trying to stand up for yourself and risking their gear. Meaning that they often take up much of the server, resulting in you having bigger chances of meeting them again. It sucks, and that's why I often dislike groups being bigger than 7-10:

Roleplay loose quality, the group is "allowed" to do whatever they want IC, they have manpower IC and OOC, more backup in reports.

Whats your name?... Oh, that's a females name.

Well then don't walk around with a stupid name.

EDIT: People made fun of my characters name, so I did something about it. You should do the same.

DarkSide    229

Wut? Do explain to me how calling someone "Gay and homosexual" is a rulebreak?

Defiance    96

Wut? Do explain to me how calling someone "Gay and homosexual" is a rulebreak?

If someone says hello and you respond immediately by questioning their sexuality then that's trolly as fuck.

DarkSide    229

If someone says hello and you respond immediately by questioning their sexuality then that's trolly as fuck.

I mean it's an off-hand comment not trolly as fuck.

Defiance    96

I mean it's an off-hand comment not trolly as fuck.

I disagree, man. It's a horrible way to begin role-playing. I'd tell that person to fuck off and leave immediately because they aren't worth my time, as I'd imagine most people would. 

How much can a "Hello" really give off about a person's sexuality? It just seems really unnecessary to me.

DarkSide    229

-

I mean ever heard about hostile role play?