Server time: 2017-10-20, 05:23
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Monday

Using useless in game items as useful RP items (permanent recognition of items)

Should we use certain in game items as roleplay items?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we use certain in game items as roleplay items?

• Yeah, sure
    • No, it could get easily out of hand, Dumbo

Monday    125

Hi all,

I know my last post wasn't exactly 'the best' suggestion ever made but i think this should be a little better.

Currently in dayzRP we use text, body gestures and our own voices to communicate with other plays in a sort of pseudo roleplay/acting kind of way. However i think it may be an idea to use items with no official purpose within the game or which are broken currently to display a kind of roleplay mechanic. I know we use knives in torture currently but who says other items cant be used as well in medical, combat or as a social feature. 

For example, most people know the rangefinder in dayz is almost completely broken so based on what it looks like it could be used as a short range radio jammer.

Obviously i haven't put much work into thinking about any of this as it could be completely rejected but tell me what you think of this :)

King

Gikkel    0

Hi all,

I know my last post wasn't exactly 'the best' suggestion ever made but i think this should be a little better.

Currently in dayzRP we use text, body gestures and our own voices to communicate with other plays in a sort of pseudo roleplay/acting kind of way. However i think it may be an idea to use items with no official purpose within the game or which are broken currently to display a kind of roleplay mechanic. I know we use knives in torture currently but who says other items cant be used as well in medical, combat or as a social feature. 

For example, most people know the rangefinder in dayz is almost completely broken so based on what it looks like it could be used as a short range radio jammer.

Obviously i haven't put much work into thinking about any of this as it could be completely rejected but tell me what you think of this :)

King

"short range radio jammer" we cant really do that since its would be really hard to enforce, and people would use the same thing for different uses.

But yeah i see what you mean and i think people already do most of these things, for one thing we sometimes use flares in torture, its all differs from who you ask.  

Giraffel    95

Back when I RPed a war reporter in ZBOR I would use a range finder as a camera. On my mafioso character I use a pack of matches as a box of cigarettes. I used to use smoke grenades as tear gas for torture with my mafia group. I've seen many people do some creative stuff like this, I am not too sure if we should  set the purposes of some items in stone though, let different people use an item how they want.

Cow    0

Greets KingFTW.

People have been doing such things for a very long time and what you are suggestion isn't anything new. However using Rangefinders as an IC "Radio Jammer." is a little power gamey and it is quicker to simply type out the action and describe with how/what you're doing.

But it's always a good idea to discus and share.

Castiel    1124

People roleplay useless or other items as things that aren't in the game all the time. I.e, roleplaying that a shovel is a guitar with a simple emote. There is no rule against this, just don't go too far with it as you may find yourself in the realm of powergaming.

As for the radio jammer idea, with something like that you would be powergaming them to disable their radios - this can be worked around with a simple:

*He takes the radio jammer from his backpack and switches it on* //Does it disable your radio?

This leaves it completely up to the other parties involved whether or not your radio jammer will block their signal or not. This could be a good idea for roleplay, whether it goes either way. It could work, leaving them with no friends to contact so you could initiate and begin hostile RP - or it may not work, and you could set out to find somebody who may be able to fix it / find some working batteries.

MapleMooses    0

*Cough* dry bag baby ;)

I've come to realize some people are stubborn and will refuse to RP that certain items in game will be RP'd out as something else. Of course you can do it, but some people might just say "but thats a range finder?" And make it awkward.

I like your idea and I've tried it myself, but it's hard when it's not against the rules for people to call you out on what's actually In your hands.

Monday    125

What i really meant was why cant certain items be officially known as rp items for the server. Of course i have tried to use items to display rp but if the other player has no idea what you are doing it could, and probably has ended up in some very awkward situations.

And the radio jammer idea was mainly just an example.

xMarrk    7

Because Role-Play is a free-form of both art and entertainment... as long as you are within the rules and not power-gaming... then any item can represent anything and this should not be dictated by 'documents'!

I also get what you are saying... I was subject to a Mistaken Identification and KoS'd as a result, if it wasn't for these exceptional circumstances I would have perma'd my character, however I am currently role-playing that my character has been shot and passing the role-play on to the (currently) 2 doctors who have aided me with my wound... they decided the calibre, the effects and the current situation... This has lead to me using a sharpened stick for balance... people will often ask why you carry a stick, just simply elaborate slightly and that SHOULD be all.

*if somebody refuses to accept that and states "no its just a stick", then speak with a community helper or other staff member... as they are denying you YOUR OWN SOLO role-play. Which in my opinion is Ill-Advised Role-Play in itself and those people clearly show a lack of understanding for role-play*

Sofie    0

People do this all the time and it is a great way of expanding our roleplaying opportunities. However, make sure it's realistic and that you emote it well enough to avoid awkward situations and confusion. And of course don't break any rules.

Dustup    125

A lot of people already do this and I have seen things such as antibiotics and vitamins representing other pills and medicines, and milk powder being used as "cocaine".  Honestly as long as it's not too far fetched and doesn't have some effect on others that would be considered powergaming  I don't see any issue with it.  Things like a rangefinder being used as a "radio jammer" is something I wouldn't do unless you have ooc permission or are just using it within your own group who are ok with it.

Obviously i haven't put much work into thinking about any of this as it could be completely rejected but tell me what you think of this

Yeah urite

The idea behind a "Radio jammer" Seems ridiculous to me. You have no way of enforcing this in the community and people are not going to understand what you are doing when you try to RP this out.

People already use "Useless" Items IC for there character, I don't understand this thread.

Dishes    159

People already do this. Most common one I see is people using the Range Finder as a camera.

Monday    125

I honestly get that people free play with these items already but what i am suggesting is if the server has official uses for certain items in roleplay. If people want to use them any differently they could request for that to be done OOC.

And the radio jammer was an example, i do agree that it would be power gaming.

xMarrk    7

I honestly get that people free play with these items already but what i am suggesting is if the server has official uses for certain items in roleplay. If people want to use them any differently they could request for that to be done OOC.

And the radio jammer was an example, i do agree that it would be power gaming.

Perhaps i should've elaborated; The thing is... Role-Play is an Open form, and restricting it even further than game mechanics currently do is counter intuitive to the idea of what role-play really is.

Personally, I think "Official Uses" for items would make things even more restricting as far as the -ingame- of it all goes, so its a no from me... HOWEVER I do like your thought to this topic.

It seems like a lot of people have missed your point, if I am understanding you correctly. What you're suggesting is that items are given a use, and this becomes the only use for this item across all of the servers and the community? So to use your example; any time you see a rangefinder when on the servers you automatically pretend it's a short range radio jammer and RP it as such.

To give my opinion, I don't think this is required at all. As everyone has already said people already use items as other things unofficially, so there's no need to give them an official role. If anything this would restrict RP. Not everyone is going to be using the same tools and equipment and not everyone is going to use the rangefinder for example in the same way. I think it's best just to let creativity flow and let people use it however they like.

Monday    125

Obviously that's understandable but I honestly don't think it would restrict rp but perhaps it may promote the idea of using certain items to roleplay with. If we saw official uses for items you can definitely see more and more people using them broadening our scope for roleplay. But mainly it would avoid confusion that occasionally pops up.

Houlton    3

I don't think it is the best of idea's but it could be well implemented however I imagine a rule/guideline would have to be written and followed by the community. I remember a while back a guy using a defibrillator as a "DNA scanner". The gentleman decided to attach a battery and "scan" someones DNA, however due to the way the game works, it gave the other guy a heart attack and killed him.

Wulfe    6

I think it obviously depends on the object in question. For example, using Plant Material as weed seems quite logical. Plant Material doesn't have much function in the first place and is aesthetically similar, so its not hard to suspend your disbelief.

Similarly I've always toyed with the idea of Moonshine. A barrel to represent the still and water bottles or Leather Water Pouches (Since people aren't likely to have them) to represent the finished product.

Just a reminder, the range finder will PROBABLY be fixed by Beta, at which point some of us would like to use it to, y'know, find a range...

There aren't any such things as useless items, btw. Not all items are the same level of useful, true, but barring bugs (this being Alpha and all) none of them are completely functionless.

EDIT: I forgot about the Teddy Bear, but my point still stands.

Someones a little late to the party haha this has been a thing for a VERY long time. Like i have 3 alcohol tincture bottles that are whiskey bottles for me. Hooray alcoholism!

Skinner    505

There aren't any such things as useless items, btw. Not all items are the same level of useful, true, but barring bugs (this being Alpha and all) none of them are completely functionless.

RPing as a doctor, there are plenty of useless items. Vitamins, Syringes, Injection Vials, Painkillers, Medical Thermometer. There are plenty of other items I emote using in the game such as medical tubing, stainless steel surgical forceps, scalpel, latex gloves, gauze, etc. However, I think the last thing we need to make rules regarding our use of these items. They would only limit the creativity of the player, as long as they follow the community rules (no power gaming, keep it mature, so no mind reading computers and purple dildos) then I think the players imagination should be the limit. 

Most of my medical supplies are just props and they can be anything I want them to be at any given moment. My bottle of vitamins could be painkillers, sleep aids, antibiotics, anti-anxiety medication, heart medication, whatever. My syringe filled with liquid could be a supplement to bolster the immune system, it could be fentanyl to prep someone for a painful surgery, it could be a powerful blood thinner, or any manner of experimental treatment or concoction I may have come up with in my laboratory (as long as I get OOC permission from the person I am injecting that it indeed behaves as I tell them it is going to, and if permission is denied well then every human body is different and maybe it simply didn't work in their system)

That's what's so great about DayZRP, we don't need rules for stuff like this, the possibilities are endless.

Monday    125

Course, rules break rp and visa versa (most of the time) and i get what you are saying, but in situations where reacting quickly is a requirement, typing out how you plan to use certain items may take time and could cause you to miss out on certain things or get killed (not saying anything about how i died before my ban lol)

Oh and hey matt :) I will be on tommorow after my holiday, ever so slightly pissed off you never found my supply cache but it was only gear lol :P

RPing as a doctor, there are plenty of useless items. Vitamins, Syringes, Injection Vials, Painkillers, Medical Thermometer. There are plenty of other items I emote using in the game such as medical tubing, stainless steel surgical forceps, scalpel, latex gloves, gauze, etc. However, I think the last thing we need to make rules regarding our use of these items. They would only limit the creativity of the player, as long as they follow the community rules (no power gaming, keep it mature, so no mind reading computers and purple dildos) then I think the players imagination should be the limit. 

Most of my medical supplies are just props and they can be anything I want them to be at any given moment. My bottle of vitamins could be painkillers, sleep aids, antibiotics, anti-anxiety medication, heart medication, whatever. My syringe filled with liquid could be a supplement to bolster the immune system, it could be fentanyl to prep someone for a painful surgery, it could be a powerful blood thinner, or any manner of experimental treatment or concoction I may have come up with in my laboratory (as long as I get OOC permission from the person I am injecting that it indeed behaves as I tell them it is going to, and if permission is denied well then every human body is different and maybe it simply didn't work in their system)

That's what's so great about DayZRP, we don't need rules for stuff like this, the possibilities are endless.

Read above :) fucked up the quoting.