Server time: 2018-08-20, 12:29

Sign in to follow this  
xMarrk

Community Integration

Hello Again,

So another thought I've been having ever since I joined this community was in regards to Community Integration and the ways in which we deal with new people. In many ways it is incredibly difficult to properly integrate one's self into the community due to the little contact you generally get the opportunity to have in regards to Team-Speak.

Now I can totally understand that we are all here for the same reason and that is to Role-Play however there appears to be little opportunity to open social 'Doors' for those new to the community, Of course meeting somebody in Role-Play can lead to Out of Character interactions and assumingly 'Friendships', However looking upon this with a critical eye I see that there are little to no other ways in which a newer member can properly integrate and essentially 'meet' the community, the people that they will be spending numerous hours with or the staff that they will surely hold conversations with through a report or discussion.

The point of discussion here and my thought process have lead me to a question.

What can we do as a community to assist the newer players to integrate into DayZRP not only on a Role-Play level but as a dedicated member of a community working towards a common goal?

I post this in Discussions as I deem it necessary to Discuss before providing a fully developed suggestion; however for purposes of example... I will also add a suggestion here, feel free to CONSTRUCTIVELY pick it apart and give your opinions on this matter.

My suggestion in AID of this (this is not a fully developed solution) is to have a singular channel simply named 'Happy Hour' or 'Chat with Staff [Open for All]'.

Not only will the above open doors for newer members to socialize with others, but it may also build Rapport among the community, this doesn't have to be a channel that people HAVE to be in at any point; but simply a social channel, people can meet, share ideas and discuss topics. 

This could also quite possibly have a positive impact on the amount and content of :-

A) Reports

B) Suggestions

C) Discussions

D) Questions

I do also understand that we have a Newcomers channel; but this is a suggestion for the Community AS A WHOLE, and not just for specific members.

So... What do you guys think of opening a platform (other than the forums) utilizing our Team Speak for ALL players to engage socially and open up the Community to each-other? 

After All, The definition of Community Is :-

Community

The condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common.

I mean I like the idea you have here but to me its kinda hard to force someone to do something they don't want to do. But again maybe have some of the rules integrated inside RP guides and so on.

My suggestion in AID of this (this is not a fully developed solution) is to have a singular channel simply named 'Happy Hour' or 'Chat with Staff [Open for All]'.

Not only will the above open doors for newer members to socialize with others, but it may also build Rapport among the community, this doesn't have to be a channel that people HAVE to be in at any point; but simply a social channel, people can meet, share ideas and discuss topics. 

da157c79260a2febdc2763a0b52da083.png

c8c2f8c9889896f9c793e56702e9af31.png

Where all the boys go to flex.

I mean I like the idea you have here but to me its kinda hard to force someone to do something they don't want to do. But again maybe have some of the rules integrated inside RP guides and so on.

Maybe you misunderstood... I stated that this was something that people don't have to do if they do not want to. This isn't a channel for Role-Play... This is a channel for social interaction... Perhaps breaking the Ice between members and building Rapport.

But then is it unnecessary to ask the question of why these channels remain inactive and unused most of the time? Perhaps a clear channel that is created for the purpose of social interaction could be a way to break the divides within the community.

My apologies. They can always come to TS and join the Newcomers channel and talk to new people and old people in the community. As this channel ether has CHs or Old members in them from time to time.

I actually thought that that was what the newcomers channel was for, not just for new members but also for people who have been here a while to go and hang out and talk to new members, as I often see older members in there.  Is this the case or am I mistaken?

If I am mistaken and there is nothing like this then I would agree with you that something should exist.  I think you would also find that there are many groups out there that will talk to randoms who pop into their open comm's channels whether its just to ask for help or ask if they would be willing to let them tag along and maybe learn a thing or two about the type of roleplay that group may be known for (or from what they see from group forums).  Obviously not everyone is going to say yes, and I'm sure you will run into at least 1 e-warrior, but there are many others out there that are willing to help or let new members tag along or just chat.

My apologies.  They can always come to TS and join the Newcomers channel and talk to new people and old people in the community. As this channel ether has CHs or Old members in them from time to time.

Of Course! Yes they can, but it appears to be a rare occurrence that anybody mans that channel, for me it appears unclear on first sight as to what the intentions of the 'Newcomers' channel or the 'DayZRP Pub/ Meeting' channel are... and for a new player this can be confusing i.e should they use the newcomers channel as a waiting room whilst they wait for the application? is the DayZRP Pub/ Meeting room only for playing Public or when there are open community meetings... which by the way is another thought I've been having, but maybe with the scale of the community this may not work.

The thought comes to mind that there appears to be a divide... a segregation in the community, which indicates that communications out of DayZSA are little for many players, Maybe theres a diamond waiting in the rough there.

-

I understand that it isn't manned all the time as its really not "advertised" all that often and I do believe that if it is the mass amounts of CHs should be able to sit in there to welcome and introduce new people to old people etc.

-

I understand that it isn't manned all the time as its really not "advertised" all that often and I do believe that if it is the mass amounts of CHs should be able to sit in there to welcome and introduce new people to old people etc.

Having a channel full of staff can appear quite daunting... I respect what you are saying here! I do think as a community we can do more to Open Up to each-other and engage as a community!

-

I mean there was this mentor system that kinda kicked off the ground but hasn't been seen in a couple weeks. Having a room full of CHs wouldn't be ideal as maybe 1-3 CHs/Mods in there wouldn't be daunting as they would help them out the best they can.

-

I mean there was this mentor system that kinda kicked off the ground but hasn't been seen in a couple weeks. Having a room full of CHs wouldn't be ideal as maybe 1-3 CHs/Mods in there wouldn't be daunting as they would help them out the best they can.

Yeah Of Course! But the idea of the channel isn't really for staff to 'Help' as such... its for the community to engage with each-other... even just through minor chatter. The whole point of this is to open doors for all members of the community to occasionally come out of these locked channels and for the staff to come out of the staff only rooms.

-

I mean its a CHs job to help the community hence there rank in staff. But again to solve this "problem" Rolle can add somewhere on the whitelist or somewhere on the forums that advertises this channel and so on.

-

I mean its a CHs job to help the community hence there rank in staff. But again to solve this "problem" Rolle can add somewhere on the whitelist or somewhere on the forums that advertises this channel and so on.

I think you misunderstand, I wasn't contending the CH's job, I am stating that we should ALL... not just specifically assigned people, should engage with the community at one stage or another... even modifying the channel name to make it more apparent of the intentions of the channel... or even having an open area so people dont have to sit in these OOC channels just among little 'cliques', its about opening the community.

Again we are a Community.. we arent just a white-listed RP server.

This. I think we already have plenty of open channels where newcomers can (if they want to) meet older players or get guidance. I don't think we need yet another channel.

When I'm not busy I've gone into the newcomers channel to hang out or stream and play. Sometimes people join, sometimes people don't.

I've also seen random community me members join and then the room fill up pretty quick. One thing is for certain tho, if people don't join the room, no one will use it. I'd suggest even taking it upon yourself if you already haven't to just spend a random hour in there, hopefully people will join and we can all show them the ways of the community.

When I'm not busy I've gone into the newcomers channel to hang out or stream and play. Sometimes people join, sometimes people don't.

I've also seen random community me members join and then the room fill up pretty quick. One thing is for certain tho, if people don't join the room, no one will use it. I'd suggest even taking it upon yourself if you already haven't to just spend a random hour in there, hopefully people will join and we can all show them the ways of the community.

Of Course, thats what I've been doing (:, unfortunately not too much contact so far...

Rolle

This. I think we already have plenty of open channels where newcomers can (if they want to) meet older players or get guidance. I don't think we need yet another channel.

Understood; That was just one suggestion as I mentioned as being an undeveloped idea, However what are your thoughts on the ways in which the newer members integrate with the older more veteran members? Do you think that there is more that could be done to encourage social interaction as a Community?

When I was starting out back in Jan 2015 to my knowledge I didn't know about a pub/meeting room/newcomers channel. I met most of the people I know in game and I would pick a public channel and camp out. People would come or if I met a cool person in game I would say "hey this is my radio, switch over" they would pop into the channel and there we go. 

The newcomer channel I will say is a great place to meet new people and old people and I have sat there a few times myself if I'm not at the help desk. We all as a community do need to welcome the new folks and even the veteran players. We are an ecosystem of a sort and we cannot survive without dedicated people.

I love your attitude and agree. Even if I have been here a while and know a few people I can poke and play games with, I find it difficult to meet new people sometimes. You can never have enough friends!

I don't think the amount of open rooms are the problem tho. I think it's people wanting to do something social and meet new people. Maybe arranging karaoke again? <3

look bub I think you aren't using the many ways to 'integrate'. as

-snip-

said, many many more where that came from. honestly newcomer's channel is your best bet. I often times drop in and say hello and talk to whoever is there. To all the newer people out there just dont be afraid to join a channel and hang out. If they dont want you there take it in stride and go somewhere else.

I see your point, but I'd say it's not just about having team speak channels that people can go and have discussions in.

If newcomers want to properly integrate themselves into the community, it's probably more important that they are active on the forums and take part in discussions, much like you're doing right now. By doing this people can create a name for themselves which people begin to recognise. This could even lead to them making friends within the community which is how they will begin to integrate.

I think we should also encourage newcomers to join groups early on. This is an excellent way to meet members and integrate, but could possibly be slightly daunting to people joining the community for the first time, especially if they don't have a great deal of role playing experience.

I sometimes hang out in the newcomers channel. People come by and say hello and sometimes ask a few questions. I've met a few friends there, old and new members.

There are more than enough open channels for members to go around and say hello. I like your intentions - but I don't think adding more channels will do anything helpful.

Hello All,

I totally respect what you are saying in regards to the Team Speak channels although let me re-iterate that I did state in the OP that it was a preliminary undeveloped idea, I would love for some of us to get together and see what we can do as a Community to open these social networks for ALL players in a way that is both comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you all so much for the consideration.

I get what you're trying to say there, Marrk. I honestly think that is a great idea. Definitely something I was in need of back when I first joined the community, but couldn't find.

Now we have these channels as everyone has stated. There's also 20, I think 30 now Public Rooms for anyone to do anything in, which is just as fantastic. So that is not the issue. What I believe the issue is that these channels aren't advertised as such. Right, Public Rooms - quite self-explanatory, but for example the Newcomers Channel (which I believe has now been renamed to Pub / Meeting Room channel) is just sitting there empty most of the time for the simple reason that barely anyone knows of its existence.

I myself wondered what the Newcomers Channel even was when I first saw and there wasn't any info anywhere on that. Sure, you could guess, but that's about it. What I would suggest to combine Marrk's idea and everyone else's is to put a bit more effort into it - i.e. at least put a proper description on the channel, saying what it's for or what's happening in there or perhaps rename it to "Pub Room - Join us for a Chat!" or something of the kind. Make a little forum announcement, saying the channel is there, it exists, EVERYONE is welcome to join in and converse, etc and etc. That's my $0.02 on the matter. But as far as I, personally, am concerned, I pretty much do as anyone else. If I am found in a Public Room, anyone is welcome to come talk with me about anything. Same goes for my private temporary channels - I never put a password on them. ;)

I think the best remedy for your suggestion would be what Ghoozberg said, to add proper descriptions for TS Channels. I've hopped on TS only a couple times and found myself staring at the Newcomers channel thinking "It's probably an official place for group meetings, or some type of waiting room for help.." So I never entered. Not only that but the other multiple channels are very intimidating to a newbie like myself. I tend to not want to be a bother towards people so I just keep to myself for the most part.

Long story short, I think TS channel descriptions could fix this small problem in a nutshell.

At the end of the day this is a huge community and not everyone will get along. Most people will naturally find themselves and friends through the interactions they have in game and feeling a sense of belonging to a roleplay style or group of people. All of the people I've been friends with here have come from meeting them in game and enjoying their RP.

I don't think we need more ways than we already have. No need to overthink things to such an extent either. We're all nerds, we play DayZ and roleplay. We're not all going to be friends but in game we're all cooperating and populating the servers to make this happen together. And lastly if a channel says newcomers then that's what it's for. Stop dithering and get in there.