Server time: 2017-08-17, 08:05

Sign in to follow this  
shipwreck117

Ships Guide for NVFL

Hello All and Welcome to:

Ships Guide for NVFL!

When it is and is NOT ok to risk your life.

If you are new to the community, I HIGHLY recommend that you read this!

You do not have to follow this guide. I am not telling you how to roleplay, I am just throwing advice out there to help everyone’s roleplay experience go smoother and with less unnecessary bloodshed.

[align=left] 

[align=left]Ok, so for the past week or so I have witnessed several initiations that resulted in NVFL, whether it is from my eyes or another’s. For example, you may initiate on someone and then they open fire, maybe hitting or killing one of you despite how out gunned or out manned they may be. It’s almost as if they would rather die and let their gear get ruined so you don’t have it than to be robbed, all the while maybe killing one of you or causing an inconvenience. Insane right? The DayZRP rules page under DayZRP game rules, posted here: http://www.dayzrp.com/rules#rule1, is where we see the NVFL rule. The rule says “Do not act in a way that indicates no value for your characters survival.” You're characters life is the most important thing in DayZRP; not your M4 with its ACOG, not that black M65 jacket, or those yellow Tims you may be rockin that make you look hella fine, but your life. Also remember, Roleplay is ALWAYS over gear. With that in mind, let’s move on.

[align=left] 

Point 1: Get Rid of Your Gear Mindset

[align=left] 

[align=left]The first thing you must do when in a DayZRP server is to get out of that gear mindset. I get that gear is important to some of you, and honestly you have to have some gear to survive and RP, but you don’t have to have a fully kitted out M4 with a ghillie wrap and 6 mags with 300 backup rounds. If you want to get bare bones about this then the only thing you need as far as a gun is maybe a sidearm with a magazine and some ammo, or a hunting rifle with some ammo. Yes you can upgrade to one of the ever-so-spawning M4’s around the map, but think of this; how much ammo and how many magazines/attachments do you really need? 1 or 2 mag’s tops and about 30 rounds backup ammunition. As far as sights, iron sights work well.

[align=left] 

[align=left] With that out of the way let’s state the obvious: GEAR CAN ALWAYS BE REPLACED. Your characters life, however, CANNOT be replaced. With the release of the .60 update it is SO EASY to get gear back, ESPECIALLY your weapons. This is not a guide on how to find gear so I am not going to talk about where you can find some. You can look up where to find gear.

[align=left] 

[align=left]But what about those instances where the rifle you have was a family heirloom, or that hat was your father’s hat that he gave you before he died? Well, ask for it back! Explain to them the significance and maybe they will let you have it back. You get your grandad’s precious engraved 1911 back as well as your life and some RP! But what if they don’t?? Well, you can find another one, or deal with it. It gives progression to your character. It’s boring to play a character if all you do is loot and not confront anyone. Honestly, what’s the point of RP if you don’t get held up, interact with people, or have something significant happen to your character?

[align=left] 

[align=left]What you have to realize is that you can get gear back easy and the whole point for DayZRP is to roleplay with other people and develop your character. Once you realize this, you’re going to have a much better time playing while making the experience you give to others enjoyable as well.

Point 2: Putting Yourself in Your Characters Shoes

[align=left]Once you’ve realized that gear can be replaced, the next thing you must do is put yourself in your characters shoes. You have to realize that in DayZRP, Chernaurus is a REAL country full of REAL zombies, REAL bullets, REAL death, REAL experiences, and overall REAL people with a beating heart and active brain who are trying to make their way through the apocalypse just like you. Each person has a life with a past full of experiences that have molded them into who they are today. Each person has loved and lost, made mistakes, had friends and family, and will eventually die. Each person in DayZRP is alive. 

[align=left] 

[align=left]With that said you need to get into character when you play and put yourself into their shoes. Become who you are roleplaying as and realize that they have a life with a past and are continuously developing. That characters life should be among the most valuable things, if not THE most valuable thing, they have. Get rid of the notion that you can just “respawn” when you die. Get into the mindset that you are your character and whatever you do in game affects you as well. If they are getting tortured then you are feeling their pain, if they are getting robbed, then ultimately you just want to make it out alive and in one piece, if they are cold then so are you, if they are hungry then so are you, and so on and so forth. Once again, GEAR CAN BE REPLACED! This is also where I address the aspect of NVFL not involving a hostile situation. Whether its risking going into a high traffic area for medicine or going to a low traffic area for food, medicine, and supplies, it ultimately depends on your character.

Point 3: How to Act in a Hostile Situation

[align=left] 

[align=left]Most reports regarding NVFL pertain to a hostile situation. I have witnessed several initiations the past week where the target was outgunned and outmanned yet still refused to comply during a hostile situation which ultimately resulted in their death. It was clear from the beginning that the target would not have lived if they resisted. Now, on the flip side of this if you find yourself meeting a group of people that out man and/or out gun you and you initiate that is ALSO clear NVFL. You cannot expect to initiate on a group of 5 people, all of which carrying a fully automatic rifle, with an MP5 and expect to make it out alive.

[align=left] 

[align=left]So, what should you do if initiated by a group that has more men and firepower without breaking the NVFL rule? Simple, COMPLY WITH THEIR DEMANDS! Don’t raise your weapon hoping to gun all of them down, or hoping that they’ll shoot you and ruin all of your gear in the process. Everyone hates it when people risk their lives over gear. It’s bad RP and shows NVFL. Even if your character is a fighter or would rather die than to be captured and tortured, don’t do it. RP it out! Maybe resist their demands TO AN EXTENT! Make it good RP guys, because that’s ultimately what we want from an initiation.

[align=left] 

[align=left]But what if you have friends nearby? Still, comply with their demands. Maybe say a quick comment over the radio saying that you’ve been initiated on where you are and then comply. REMEMBER: When your hands are up you cannot push the button down on your radio to communicate. As soon as those hands go up mute TeamSpeak. Maybe stall them to an extent to give your mates time to get to you but that’s about all you can do, stall, comply and remember, GOOD RP! 

[align=left] 

[align=left]But what if you’ve been initiated on by a group that does NOT out gun and/or out man you? I’m talking about a situation where you have been initiated on by a group of 2 with bolt action rifles or 1 person with a gun. A situation where you reasonably think that you can resist and make it out alive. That’s your call man. It depends on your character and how well you can play the game. Keep in mind the DayZRP rules and point 2. Do what your character would do in the situation. Put yourself in their shoes.

[align=left] 

[align=left]What if you have been a good little prisoner and complied with their demands and see a chance to escape? Once again, it’s your call bro; just keep in mind point 2 and the DayZRP rules.

[align=left] 

[align=left]NOW on the flip side, what should you do if you encounter a relatively large group and want to initiate? Ultimately, DON’T DO IT! Odds are you are going to die in the process! Now if you think that you can fool them into thinking that there is more people than just you or you and a friend, it’s still safer to just NOT DO IT. BUT if you decide to do it, you better make sure that you are able to pull it off!

Point 4: Have a Stash

[align=left]We get it, you love your gear and don’t want to lose it, but it’s not worth risking your life over it. If you get initiated on and want don’t want to break the NVFL rule, then odds are you are going to lose your gear. SO instead of having to go from town to town looting for gear you may or may not find, make a stash. Put it relatively close to where you hang out a lot or near a spawn. That way you can get your gear back after getting robbed and maybe take some vengeance! 

Closing Remarks

[align=left] 

[align=left]Thank you for reading to the end as I know that this is a long post but I hope that it will help some of you learn the value of your life in character. This is in no way a post to make it easier for bandits to have an easier time robbing people, but instead to minimize unnecessary reports and to keep quality RP going. If you have anything I should add or any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please post it as I will update this as necessary. Once again, thanks you all and I hope that this has helped you! Dont forget to leave beans!

Good guide, alot of people need to follow this for sure :P

Pinky    128

This guide looks really good!

but...

deny deny never comply.

Now I get what you're saying, but like said above...

Die die never comply.

GaryCash    23

This guide can definitely be helpful to new comers who may not fully grasp the concepts and reasoning behind the NVFL rule

Chief    597

I am surprised someone hasn't made a guide for this before. Or maybe its the fact that we need to give people 6 tries to whitelist that they don't understand what NVFL is. Irregardless good job ship keep it up maybe add some additions and examples in a video form and add them later. +1

Yoshi    54

What an excellent guide! This should stave off those non-compliant fools!

I am surprised someone hasn't made a guide for this before. Or maybe its the fact that we need to give people 6 tries to whitelist that they don't understand what NVFL is. Irregardless good job ship keep it up maybe add some additions and examples in a video form and add them later. +1

Definately will do!

Ramon    329

Good guide...But

About the part of having the stash.

If you died and walk to a hidden stash you normally don't see any people.

If you loot up the towns you have a big chance to meet up with new people and that can always improve your RP.

Goryan    7

I appreciate this guide. As an individual waiting to be whitelisted this guide was extremely helpful. This entire community is helpful. You all rock. Hope to see you all in game!

nice guide man, a must read for the newer members of DayZRP

Thank you for taking the time to read it! Use this so you don't end up on the wrong end of a report

I appreciate this guide.  As an individual waiting to be whitelisted this guide was extremely helpful.  This entire community is helpful.  You all rock.  Hope to see you all in game!

Maybe I'll meet you in game and give you a chance to use what you've just read ;) in all seriousness tho thanks for reading it!

Thank you for taking the time to read it! Use this so you don't end up on the wrong end of a report

I appreciate this guide.  As an individual waiting to be whitelisted this guide was extremely helpful.  This entire community is helpful.  You all rock.  Hope to see you all in game!

Maybe I'll meet you in game and give you a chance to use what you've just read ;) in all seriousness tho thanks for reading it!

Yeah, I don't really initiate as I play as a hero but when I get initiated on, its another story haha

Nocheluz    104

Agreeing with my Chief on this one. Good guide, nicely presented as well. Video examples of both what to do, and what not to do would enhance an already great new player resource :)

Agreeing with my Chief on this one. Good guide, nicely presented as well. Video examples of both what to do, and what not to do would enhance an already great new player resource :)

As soon as i figure out adobe premier pro i shall do that haha

Sign in to follow this