Server time: 2017-10-17, 02:11
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
thatmomgamer

Advice for separating RP from real life?

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place. My experience with role play has been amazing but there are certain characters, moments, and the amount of hours I have spent doing things that leave me emotionally exhausted. I spend a lot of time on characters and everything involved with them. I have not spent a great amount of time on the servers yet because it's so different from other places and I am afraid to do something wrong after working so hard on something. I have experience in role play and I did like the short experience I have had on here so far...I just wonder if there is a way to (once I do really get into this character) avoid getting too sucked into it to where I struggle with the story/character progressions, etc offline. I guess I could best compare this to actors and actresses in Hollywood and such as I have heard that some of them get very involved in the movies that they are in.

The trick that does it for me is to play a character(s) that is completely different from me or my personality. That way when I log out of DayZRP I can just "switch off" and not think about it until I come back. Part of it is to never use my own voice or accent so that active element requires at least some kind of awareness that I am "acting" and not just going around being my boring self. Even though I do get that it still can be emotionally exhausting, I feel that the disconnection is easier that way. I hope that made sense and wasn't too obscure to understand.

Cloudy    0

It kinda was my own mistake , playing almost myself for the first time , but I just kept telling me ''You're just acting this a GAME'' . I understand you get emotionally exhausted , happened to me as well a couple of times , just take a break from the game for a bit. As I said , I just kept telling myself worked for me. Developed the character , from IC moments and it kind of helped me a bit. So the character is become more and more the opposite of me.

(HAVE NO IDEA IF ALL THIS MADE SENSE.)

The trick that does it for me is to play a character(s) that is completely different from me or my personality. That way when I log out of DayZRP I can just "switch off" and not think about it until I come back. Part of it is to never use my own voice or accent so that active element requires at least some kind of awareness that I am "acting" and not just going around being my boring self. Even though I do get that it still can be emotionally exhausting, I feel that the disconnection is easier that way. I hope that made sense and wasn't too obscure to understand.

It did, thank you :)

It kinda was my own mistake , playing almost myself for the first time , but I just kept telling me ''You're just acting this a GAME'' . I understand you get emotionally exhausted , happened to me as well a couple of times , just take a break from the game for a bit. As I said , I just kept telling myself worked for me. Developed the character , from IC moments and it kind of helped me a bit. So the character is become more and more the opposite of me.

(HAVE NO IDEA IF ALL THIS MADE SENSE.)

Yes that is a good point and it made sense, I guess just when I get really comfortable in the character is when it affects me and makes me portray more characteristics of myself.

Pinky    128

I had this problem... so now i just play as myself and it seems to work out pretty well.

No more accidentally Irish accents :P.

I had this problem... so now i just play as myself and it seems to work out pretty well.

No more accidentally Irish accents :P.

Oh, totally. I am terrible at accents. Well I can do the standard "cowgirl" because I am indeed from the South but it actually gets on my own nerves so that is a no go. I did a Northern U.S. accent once and I was going to trash it but got stuck with it and well let's just say it's not easy for me to sound sad or in pain with a Boston-ish accent. :o

Joules    274

I don't know if it's ever truly possible to 100 percent separate yourself from a good character. I know I'm terrible at separating myself from my Tucker's emotions. The amount of times where I spent an hour after logging out feeling like murdering someone, only to realize that I was still feeling the emotions of a character I play made me think about all this. I guess my advice is to just try not to take it too far? Also others suggested doing accents which I think would probably end up helping.

TLake    23

I started off as 100% myself, but as time went on and I interacted with people my story changed and I grew as a character. Though he is still me in many ways, but he has evolved. I feel that when you rp a character that has a bit of you in it the experience can be more real. When you become disassociated from your character you become less involved and more prone to not caring about how your character ends up.

play when drunk, you'll always forget the RP before

But honestly, just play the game, it's a video game so play it and relax

Defiance    96

This is exactly what I do. 

Taking a break for several days also helps a lot. I play D&D, so I switch between characters fairly often and have noticed that helps as well.

JakeWP    0

I think getting involved in the character makes the experience so much more intense, as does muting TS ,

Even when I use an accent I still get attached , Just tell your self it is a game ,

That works for me :)

Nunn    0

I tend to fall back into just playing myself in RP games, find it much easier on things if I'm asking myself what id do in a given situation rather then what my character would do.

Hebi Kotei    343

I play quite radical and extreme characters to what I am in real life, it makes it quite difficult for me to start having my real life personality leak out in roleplay. I would also mute ts while playing and avoid OOC chatter to help me immerse myself in the game.

Fluffles    21

After playing a character that, mentality-wise, was kind of like me and because of that easier to play, I created my current character as to really challenge myself. To me it's easier to seperate myself from this character because I have to put a lot of effort in playing her and she isn't like me.

I see how some people here say they prefer to stick to playing themselves, but I like the opposite better. When I'm playing there's 'me' and there's 'Ayla' and I can perfectly keep those 2 apart because they're so different.

I'm the kind of person who tends to get sucked into everything she does, so at the end of the day - just like many others here - I tell myself it's just a game and go to sleep :)

Oliv    1872

I completely understand what your getting at. I'd suggest you leave yourself some time after an RP session so you can "detach". Go watch a show, read a book, something to take you out if that works and put you somewhere else.

Kerkkoh    49

I've had this problem but I am a character and acting fanatic if there ever was one. I completely enter the character and become him/her when I jump in the game. When I disconnect, I usually do physical exercise which brings my mind away from the character. I love to think my character out of the game a lot and what she wouldn't do next, which helps me direct my RP in the game.

1. Make your character be as different from you as you can (For example if you are comfortable with Text Rp, you could try a male character).

2. Find something that can disconnect you from the character you act. This could be anything you enjoy doing.

3. If you feel like you are thinking too much of your character, don't get too attached to it and maybe play an alternative character for a while.

And everything that has been mentioned in the posts before of course.

Roach    1645

Oh how I understand this.

Most of my characters, I was able to separate from real life. But when I played Tony Moretti, it affected me. He was a more rude person that laid down the law if you will. The character stressed me out and well, I started to act the same way in real life. I was sort of a dick sometimes to my own family and friends. Almost every RP session, I was emotionally and mentally exhausted.

When I saw that I did start acting like a dick, I told myself to stop basically. Not much you can do about it, to be honest. If you realise that you are porting your character into you and your everyday life, you have to gain back control.

But that just means you know how to immerse yourself too good ;)

I put blood sweat and tears into each character I play, and I've learned to separate game and life over time. But it still affects me from time to time. I wish I could help you more and give you advice on how not to let this happen, but no matter what anyone here will tell you, it will depend on YOU and how YOU deal with it. Everyone is different.

It's like drugs, if you know you have a problem, then you can do something to stop it. If you don't know, then you won't stop.

Just keep telling yourself, "it's only a game" at the end of your session and let yourself forget the stress and troubles this session may have caused you, in the end, it's just pixels and letting that take over your RL emotions can be bad and tell yourself how fun it was. Don't let it bum you out ever... it's just a game !!

Whip    0

Here's how I separate real life from RP.

I acquire my current location.

If I'm at my computer, it's Roleplay and the feelings there are made up and I can't be fucked to care about it and i turn off my PC

If I'm not at my computer, It's real Life and I can't be fucked to care about it and I walk away.

The two should be Oil and water, Never mixing.   

If you're having issues separating the emotions of the two, then there are more issues in your life than just "immersive Rp" and maybe you should talk to someone about them.

Not me of course

but someone because a game on the internet should not affect your personal life in the slightest, and if it is I feel bad for you.

Harry    18

I personally never had any problems with this, i think its because i am usually playing quite opposite of what i am in real life. In real life i am kind, friendly and caring. But in the game i play rather as a total dick with zero care for anyone, its also like having al my bad parts of myself playing out in the game. I would never be able to be the character that i play in the game in real life i dont know, but i just cant.

Oh how I understand this.

Most of my characters, I was able to separate from real life. But when I played Tony Moretti, it affected me. He was a more rude person that laid down the law if you will. The character stressed me out and well, I started to act the same way in real life. I was sort of a dick sometimes to my own family and friends. Almost every RP session, I was emotionally and mentally exhausted.

When I saw that I did start acting like a dick, I told myself to stop basically. Not much you can do about it, to be honest. If you realise that you are porting your character into you and your everyday life, you have to gain back control.

But that just means you know how to immerse yourself too good ;)

I put blood sweat and tears into each character I play, and I've learned to separate game and life over time. But it still affects me from time to time. I wish I could help you more and give you advice on how not to let this happen, but no matter what anyone here will tell you, it will depend on YOU and how YOU deal with it. Everyone is different.

It's like drugs, if you know you have a problem, then you can do something to stop it. If you don't know, then you won't stop.

Just keep telling yourself, "it's only a game" at the end of your session and let yourself forget the stress and troubles this session may have caused you, in the end, it's just pixels and letting that take over your RL emotions can be bad and tell yourself how fun it was. Don't let it bum you out ever... it's just a game !!

Thanks for this. I know that this post may have sounded silly to a few people because it is a game. I know that it is a game. However, my personality, being an artist in pretty much everything I do - I tend to focus intently on each project I do. Glad to know that I am not the only one that has been affected though from role play. :)

My character is also pretty opposite from myself. We share similar values, but I go out of my way to have my character be a dick or get offended easily. Additionally, having some kind of "switching off" ritual may help. I usually take my dog for a walk after a long RP session to slip back into my natural character er..self

Go on a jog or take a walk, listen to some music. Even if you think you're pretty separated from the character, something's probably going to happen sooner or later that'll get you all keyed up. So whatever you do to relax that doesn't involve gaming, do that.

Piggy-backing off of what someone else mentioned earlier, use an accent in game. This way you constantly have to be thinking when you talk and can clearly differentiate if you're RP'ing or not.

Nocheluz    122

For one EchoZeero is never boring :) but I digress...

I think his advice is good. I always look at RPing a character, as you do, acting. For that reason, I love to challenge myself. I've never played myself, although if I were to be honest, the characters I play all have some core characteristics that I possess on an IRL level. I've never felt emotionally exhausted after a good role play session because if it was indeed good, then I feel it was an accomplishment, so I'm exhilarated :P

As one who can cry easily, and rage heartily, I get really excited when the roleplay is so good my character felt compelled to feel some type of way.

One thing I would advise too, is to let your character be who she wants to be. When I first started out here, I was a Chernarussian Nun. That character is now engaged, lol I didn't plan it, nor did my IG fiance. It just evolved organically through the roleplay. Have fun and try not to overthink. If you find yourself being emotional, then you've done a good job girly, so just roll with it :) That is character development at its finest IMHO.