Server time: 2017-08-17, 19:16

Sign in to follow this  

An interesting way to roleplay.

This isn't going to be a new idea by any means, but it's something that struck me today and that I have started doing.

Long story short, my character was a dedicated medic, sworn not to hurt anyone. However he was in a hostage situation, and to save his own skin he suggested a fight between himself and another hostage. The captors agreed and I ended up winning, but my character went to far, he picked up a stray sword and began wildly hacking at the man, going far beyond what was needed to kill him.

Full story here: 

18th July 2016

It was a routine day for Moralis, or now better known as doctor Moralis. The morning involved setting up a medical clinic in the small town of Novy Sobor, there weren't many visitors, only passerby's wanting to know directions and the such. The afternoon involved patching up several people involved in a serious firefight incident at Stary Sobor, apparently two parties had a disagreement over a game of chance and it had ended in bloodshed. Moralis successfully revived one of the men but the two others passed away in front of his eyes causing a great deal of stress.... he was beginning to question his own work. 

During the evening, after another failed revival of a corpse strewn across the side of the road, Moralis encountered a large group of men sporting military grade gear and orange armbands. Without warning they told him to get on the floor before proceeding to strip him of all his supplies. Enraged Moralis demanded what they hoped to achieve by robbing a defenceless medic and in response he was threatened with death. 

With the barrel of a loaded AK-47 pointed at his head, Moralis once again forgot his oath and suggested something awful.... A fight to the death with the other hostage they had dragged from Kabanino. The other hostage was afraid, unwilling to fight, but Moralis, overcome with the days events charged at the nameless, innocent man, throwing him to the floor he beat him wildly with both hands, turning his face to a blood pulp. Reaching behind him and grasping the sword that one of the captors had dropped, he swung at the innocents mans head, decapitating him with a single stroke. 

The exhilaration was unlike anything he had experienced before.... The killing of a defensless man should have been something that disgusted him, but deep down he enjoyed holding the life of another man in his hands, having the power of life and death. Walking away from the captors who had since freed him, he looked down at his blood soaked hands with a wicked smile on his lips, ripping away the white arm band signifying his allegiance to the free medics he stamped it into the pool of blood that had now poured onto the road... 

So essentially due to the consequences of his actions I decided to leave the free medics for realistic RP reasons, forsaking their vows / commitments etc and updated my character backstory with the above.

TLDR

Do many other people roleplay this way? Taking in game choices as real consequences, where RP and realism trump all things (obviously not rules) when it comes to OOC / clan things. For me personally this makes roleplay alot better because it means that my choices will have very real consequences for my character development as he spirals further down a darker path. To me it seems better than having a character who is just set in one way, evil or good but instead is dynamic and changes with the world.

Gina    26

Do many other people roleplay this way? Taking in game choices as real consequences, where RP and realism trump all things (obviously not rules) when it comes to OOC / clan things. For me personally this makes roleplay alot better because it means that my choices will have very real consequences for my character development as he spirals further down a darker path. To me it seems better than having a character who is just set in one way, evil or good but instead is dynamic and changes with the world.

That's the whole idea of the role play :) Developing your character as he lives his "life".

Beni    678

Yeah, not many people develop there character, like my alt character Leon Smith slowly became more and more aggressive, and found it a lot more easier to kill. People saw this... He developed!

Oh, now im a little embarrased, but most people seem to have a set in stone person :P

Castiel    1124

Character development is always great. Nice story!

Gina    26

Oh, now im a little embarrased, but most people seem to have a set in stone person :P

Oh no don't be! Like BigBeni said, not so many people bother to actually RP their character development. So it is really good to see someone who is new here, to be interested to RP in that level :)

Character development is a good thing, keep it up :)

MagicMike    69

Dont be, its something good to point out IMO, focusing on character development makes the RP so much more enjoyable. Using past experience to justify current ones makes you feel like a real authentic character,

Beni    678

Don't be embarrassed lad, it's all good.

Haha, thanks, yeah it does make it alot more fun for sure :)

When I started playing , I think I made a little mistake by making the char like me , which got me emotionally exhausted and I became bored of myself. So just developed him from the things that happen around me , death etc... Which made him hurt other people(he couldn't do before) , talk in a different voice(from past experiences with things that happened around him) , show different emotions.

(Made sense?... :P)

Kerkkoh    44

When I started playing , I think I made a little mistake by making the char like me , which got me emotionally exhausted and I became bored of myself. So just developed him from the things that happen around me , death etc... Which made him hurt other people(he couldn't do before) , talk in a different voice(from past experiences with things that happened around him) , show different emotions.

Same here, I made my first character so much like me that I got bored of him. For me making a whole new character who is as different as one could be from me worked the best.

RP that develops your character—whether it is hostile or dialogue based RP—is the best kind of RP.

Same here, I made my first character so much like me that I got bored of him. For me making a whole new character who is as different as one could be from me worked the best.

RP that develops your character—whether it is hostile or dialogue based RP—is the best kind of RP.

As long as it made sense , I'm happy.. :)