Server time: 2017-08-18, 07:10

Sign in to follow this  
Sheep

Bad Initiations!

Sheep    0

Hey, guys 

I came back to the server about a week ago now. I used to play heavily back in 2013-late 2014 until work took over. 

After coming back to the game I have had several bad initiations on me due to the dogdy voip system within the dayz game. Be that by lagging or just being to quiet to hear.

I remmember in the mod days that we used to also typed the iniation in Direct, we did this to make sure everyone knows what is going down and can see the demands. 

In my view it should be in the rules that you also have to iniatate over direct chat only the very first part so poeple know whats going on so for example

'GET ON THE GROUND, THIS IS A ROBBERY'

Please Discuss

DayZ is in Alpa it would be wrong to expect anything but the worst from the game. I also have had a few laggy VOIP initiations done on me but only on rare occasions. I'd be interested to see if this is a problem with you or its happening to others also.

Sheep    0

DayZ is in Alpa it would be wrong to expect anything but the worst from the game. I also have had a few laggy VOIP initiations done on me but only on rare occasions. I'd be interested to see if this is a problem with you or its happening to others also.

Hey, for me I guess i have jsut been unlucky but nearly all of the initiations I have had on me have been laggy/quiet. I completely get that the game is in alpha so I would exspect nothing less aha. 

I just feel that it would be beneficial to people to also just type it out to avoid KOS/RDM ect....

Hey, for me I guess i have jsut been unlucky but nearly all of the initiations I have had on me have been laggy/quiet. I completely get that the game is in alpha so I would exspect nothing less aha. 

I just feel that it would be beneficial to people to also just type it out to avoid KOS/RDM ect....

I understand were you are coming from, however there have been multiple times Someone has been running away from me and I have initiated. If the rule came into place that I HAD to text Initiate he would already we out of text zone before I sent the message. Just getting you thinking on the rule ;)

Rick    19

Eh, back in the mod, initiations were typed due to the ease of initiating for a group behind cover and such, or on vehicles which was quite common. Initiations also used to be held to a higher standard, in the sense that everything had to be clearly spelled out, which was cumbersome to say. With the changes in SA that allow initiations to be more open, as long as the intention and threat are very clear, initiations can be shorter, which makes just saying it easier. Playstyle in SA is different than the mod as well, hence less text initiations.

I wouldn't really say the necessity for clarity after an initiation has gone down at all since the mod; its still required under the rules.

IMO, text isn't needed. For one, it can create awkward situations for small teams initiating, as it either forces people to come into text range where they might prefer to be back more, or it forces the person making contact to have to ctrl v it, which puts him at a disadvantage. As long as the initiators do their job right, make the initiation clear, and refrain from acting until they are confident the initiation was received, there shouldn't be an issue.

If initiators don't do their job correctly, and shoot rather then confirm that their initiation was received, than a report is more in order then a rule change I would think.

Nunn    0

Ive been in a situation where half my group was shot due to the people initiating not knowing that their voice was lagged out and not heard properly.

I don't think their needs to be a rule involving text based initiations but if the situation was not too volatile then using text would be good.

Dustup    118

I always try to drop a text initiation as well for clarity, but I have noticed that with this patch I don't pick up on text as well as last patch, i'm not sure if it is smaller now or slightly re-positioned (or maybe there has been no change and I am imagining it).

Melvin    84

How I do initiations is simultaneously dropping a text one and screaming it out loud at the same time. The thing that gets most people in the end is the ambiguity of it.

"Hey..drop your weapon, you are unnerving me."

"DROP YOUR FUCKING WEAPONS IN THE NAME OF THE MAKER OR YOU WON'T HAVE ANY ARMS TO HOLD THOSE WEAPONS. NOW. "

The second one has a demand and it's hostile intentions clear while the first one may be mistaken as one because drop your weapon does sound like an initiation. Hence, it is super important to make sure people don't get confused. Way to do that is with a loud voice and some quick buddy typers. :)

Grimnir    584

I think that, might be a good idea.

Back in the Pagans there was one incident, where we have been initiated on by another group. The problem was the initiation was yelled over voip and we ended up only hearing parts of it, not even sure if it was a player speaking. So we basicly only heard "Everybody...put your fuckin....". We weren't even sure in the first moment if that wasn't just in the background of someoes voip so we stood there totally confused. As soon as we saw two people with there guns up runnng towards us and shooting we shot back and the chaos started.

So yes text for at least mass initiations or those wich aren't face to face might be a good idea.

+1 from me