Server time: 2017-08-23, 11:58

Sign in to follow this  
Attela

A Guide on Playing Villains and Evil Characters

Attela    9

yXcqo4B.png

You're looking to play an evil character, huh? Then you must first ponder what truly is evil. The first things that pop to mind when you think of evil characters in DayZRP are probably bandits and cannibals, guides for those already exist. Well I'm here to tell you that there is so much more to evil than this. It is a far bigger concept than just hurting people or causing chaos. I'm going to tell you about characters that can have big goals in mind and what they are capable of doing to achieve them. Characters that are dedicated to these goals. Characters that have distinct and varying personalities.

I will teach you how these kind of characters are created and how you can refine them. So, let's get started shall we?

Chapter 1. Defining evil

[align=left]Everyone knows what evil is. Evil is the act of hurting others, doing immoral things and generally being cruel. It's the opposite of good which is helping others, promoting desirable morals and taking care of the bad guys. Well, nothing is ever simply this black and white. Evil characters don't necessarily do evil acts because they find them fun. They might do them because they have learned through life experiences that those kind of actions are helpful to their cause. Still, there is always going to exist people whos only goal in life is the hurting of others to their satisfaction. Evil characters have goals and they are determined to achieve them by any means they deem necessary. Even something like hurting others to your own satisfaction is a simple concept of a goal: he uses hurting others as way to reach his goal which is satisfaction in life. Evil characters can have varying goals, be it big goals or small goals. The important thing is that they have them. For without purpose in your character, there will ultimately be no character.

How evil you are can greatly vary from character to character. Evil could be considered a very complicated subject and people can see it in many different ways. There are countless actions that can be considered evil, even good characters will almost certainly do something evil at least once in their lives. But in order to consider your character to be evil, he must perform evil actions in a more consistent manner. These evil actions are his most important tools that he must use in order to achieve his desired goals. That is just how evil characters generally act.

[align=left]People should be familiar with the concept of alignments in RPGs, but I will give a brief list with four different options from the alignment system that could make your character considered to be evil:

• Chaotic neutral: A character who does not care about what happens as long as he can be free himself. He can cause anarchy and defy common rules and traditions in favor of following his hearts call but does not completely disregard them. He promotes individualism in a sense that he sees his own needs as important and others needs as unimportant. First comes his own freedom and safety, then good and evil. In DayZRP, a good example of this could be a bandit. Popular characters from fiction that are good examples include Marv from Sin City and Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Lawful evil: A character who is evil, but has a clear code of conduct set for himself. In their mind a well-ordered system is the best one to abuse for their own advantage. A lawful evil character can have both good and bad traits in his personality. In DayZRP, a good example of this could be a member of a mercenary band or military group. Popular characters from fiction that are good examples include Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs and Cersei Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire.
  • Neutral evil: A character who disregards others lives in favor of his own goals. He doesn't kill and hurt people without reason and doesn't want to cause unnecessary destruction, only if he sees it as being helpful to his own goals. In DayZRP, a good example of this could be a henchman within a group looking to overthrow his leader or a hitman. Popular characters from fiction that are good examples include Two-Face from The Dark Knight Trilogy and Walter White from Breaking Bad.
  • Chaotic evil: A character who has no regards for others lives, freedom, safety, rules or anything else for that matter other than his own desires. He rarely works well with groups as he doesn't like being ordered around and can generally disrupt the group unless following the group is absolutely necessary regarding himself. In DayZRP, a good example of this could be a lone wolf survivor/bandit who has experienced a lot of suffering. Popular characters from fiction that are good examples include Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Patrick Bateman from American Psycho.

Chapter 2. Creating evil characters

[align=left]Being evil is not something you are born with. Evil can come to a person more naturally through his experiences in life. For example, a character could have been raised in a home with a lot of problems. Your parents hate you, they constantly beat you up, they don't teach you anything about morals. He learns his own morals through these experiences. Seeing physical abuse constantly in a young age can shape your mind in to thinking that violence is always the solution to any of your problems. Then leaving your home and ending up in some hellhole having to constantly fight for your life by any means necessary. You learn how to use dirty tricks in your favor and how to instill fear in others and using this to gain power. In a place like that you don't learn about being kind and caring, being truthful and honest or being honorable and fair. To a young mind years of these kind of experiences can shape you into being very naturally evil. Feeling sick when ripping people to pieces is long gone from his memory.

This is what separates evil characters from truly evil characters. When you are truly evil, you don't see yourself as being evil. You actually think you are the hero and anyone that stands against you is evil. You think your ways are the right ways, they are your moral code. You are right, others are wrong and it's you against the world. You don't see the other side of the coin. Something like being a bandit though is not the same. Normally bandits know they are doing bad things and they know that they're not right. Most of them didn't grow up abused, mistreated and abandoned. It's just their way of surviving in this world and others have to live with it. They were probably quite ordinary people before the whole apocalypse thing happenedIt's just that the current situation shaped them into being evil. They took the easy way out and decided that they will survive through robbing and hurting others. There is no law or order in this world so who's gonna stop them anyway? And after a while of being a bandit, it can feel natural as well. Through those actions, your character will shape into being more evil. But they are still not the same as truly evil people.

As I already said in the first chapter, evil characters have goals. These goals are everything to them. They have to reach these goals or die trying. Set yourself a goal. Think it through and make sure that it is clear to you. You don't necessarily have to be extremely specific or describe it in detail. Evil characters can have different motives and ideas about the world along with goals but make sure that they have them and they are clear. You could have one very ambiguous goal or smaller goals that form a bigger picture in your mind. For example, you could have a goal of taking over a powerful group from the outside, infiltrating it and overthrowing the leadership in favour of yourself and then controlling the region with that power. Or maybe you're a mysterious murderer looking to make a town your own personal playground by using extreme violence and having others really fear you, making sure they keep out of your territory. You could come up with anything you want, only your imagination is the limit here.

[align=left]Here is a list of some personality traits to consider when making an evil character:

• Deceiving: You are good at lying to people and making them believe that you are trustworthy. In fact, on the surface you can seem very trustworthy and usually want to leave a good impression of yourself to others. You like to take your time with your grand plan. You are always ready to betray anyone at the right time to reach your objectives.
  • Overconfident: You think of yourself as being more than a man. You put yourself on a pedestal and the others below you. You misjudge and underestimate your enemies and often get into trouble because of this.
  • Distrustful: You can't trust anyone and feel like others are constantly scheming behind your back. You are always looking to find out if someone is lying to you and you can be extremely hard to convince.
  • Stressed: You can exhibit nervous ticks from time to time due to stress caused by your often hard lifestyle. Shakiness, eyes rapidly blinking, constantly playing with an object in your hands or making other small movements with different bodyparts. Being stressed can also show as being paranoid. You can feel that you are constantly being pursued by others and absolutely everyone is against you.
  • Manipulative: You use other people effectively to your advantage. You want to affect their emotions and get them to follow you. You are looking to exploit their mind for your own purposes.
  • Merciless: You are ruthless and are always looking to make an example of someone. You like to show your power through violence and instilling fear in others with your brutal actions.
  • Impulsive: You often make quick decisions that can have bad results. You either don't consider the consequences or do it because of your ego. You don't learn about your mistakes and keep doing what you're doing.

[align=left]That's just a handful of examples and I'm sure you can find other interesting traits when you are creating your own character. These however are a good basis on what kind of traits you should generally be looking for in your character.

Chapter 3. Playing evil characters

[align=left]Well now that you know how to create these evil characters, you're gonna have to play them. Creating an evil character can be really fun and exiciting as you think of all the things you're gonna do in the world. However, playing a convincing villain can be very difficult. You are supposed to be something to fear, a powerful figure others dare not face. You will have to be on point with your roleplay in order to achieve this. Some generally good things to do when deciding to create and play an evil character is to practice your manner of speech. Try to create a unique style to your voice. Try different tones, accents or create some kind of patterns to your speech. Even something simple and stereotypical like doing a good evil laugh in the distance can have a big impact if used at the right moment. This will help others truly believe in your character. You probably don't want to sound generic, you want to sound unique and different. This is why you should really practice your act to convince people of your character and to get consistent in your roleplay. I'm not talking about anything major here but this varies between individuals. If you can't produce anything you consider good naturally, try to keep practicing and maybe you'll be able to create something fantastic for your character.

Also try to create some kind of mannerisms to your own character if possible. Think of something clever you could do with the game mechanics to distinguish yourself from others. Use text chat to your advantage to describe your characters actions in detail. Creating something consistent like this can make your character more known to others and even news could spread between the people. This can help in solidifying your position as an intimidating villain. Give others interesting and unique roleplaying sessions so that they will remember your character and have really enjoyable moments. This can then evolve into a dynamic relationship between you and other involved characters. You can become a constant threat to them that they have to keep in mind and battle against. And when you are defeated, captured and executed, try to come up with an epic speech that your character could have as his last words. Your character would not want to go out quietly. This is what a true villain should be. I'm not saying that all of these things apply to every villain but again, they are a good basis from where to start.

And lastly I can't stress this enough that an important thing with your evil characters is to have your characters goal and motives clear. Evil characters can be extremely motivated in achieving what they want, a lot of the times more motivated than good characters. You really have to think from your characters point of view. When making decisions, you need to put your characters own personal goal above anything else. And on the topic of goals, surviving in this world, in my mind, can't be considered a legitimate goal. That's a goal that everyone has, isn't it? Think of something interesting that your evil character is trying to achieve in life.

Chapter 4. Closing words

[align=left]And that's a wrap! Another guide in the bag for me. I'm hoping this will be informative and helpful for people who want to create more dynamic and unique villains or generally evil characters. Personally I would love to see people creating some interesting villains that could leave a lasting impact on the world.

Thanks for reading!

(If you have any further questions about this subject, you can either send me a private message or reply to this thread directly. I will try to help as many people as I can and I am hoping that this rule would find some interest in all kinds of different players.)

Xeovas    5

well written, I find roleplay stale when there is no motive behind the evil man you come into contact with other than in game gains. This is perfect and if I ever decide to play a character such as you describe, I will surely be using this guide.

Attela    9

well written, I find roleplay stale when there is no motive behind the evil man you come into contact with other than in game gains. This is perfect and if I ever decide to play a character such as you describe, I will surely be using this guide.

My thoughts are exactly the same. I don't want to hear that some guys are murdering and robbing people just cause. I mean they rob people to survive, but isn't staying alive a goal that everyone has? I don't think that can be established as a legitimate goal. I also want to see some clear motives behind villains to truly believe in their character.

Thanks for the compliments!

Good job

Thanks again buddy.

Good guide, maybe add some colour to subheadings/key points to make them stand out and include some characters from popular culture that fit your 'alignment' archetypes. It helps people better understand a point when you give them an example they're familiar with.

Attela    9

Good guide, maybe add some colour to subheadings/key points to make them stand out and include some characters from popular culture that fit your 'alignment' archetypes. It helps people better understand a point when you give them an example they're familiar with.

Thanks! I'm personally the kind of guy who likes simple designs but yes, some visual upgrades should probably be done. Adding characters from popular culture could be a good idea but I also don't sort of want to do it. If I include a character from something popular, people might use that as a rough template for their own characters. I know examples can generally do that but if I go more specific with popular characters it might make some people go more towards those features in their own characters. I try to give generic examples where I can.

Another great guide. Thank you, sir!

Sure, no probs!

Well done on this really well made and really can help people out there trying to play a evil character. +1

Skinner    440

Wait so you're telling me that to play an evil character doesn't mean I rob everyone I meet and tell them about how crAAAAzy I am? I don't believe it! :P

Great guide, thanks for posting this.

Grimnir    595

Nice guide, might help some newbies out there trying to be evil. :)

On a side note one of the most important things for me personally is, that evil people will pretty much never call themselves evil. Actions are nearly always justified...at least in the own understanding of that person.

I just have to cringe, when meeting so called "evil guys", "sociopaths", "crazies".... the list goes on forever. Like for real if you say you are a sociopath, then you are for sure not one.

Thanks! I'm personally the kind of guy who likes simple designs but yes, some visual upgrades should probably be done. Adding characters from popular culture could be a good idea but I also don't sort of want to do it. If I include a character from something popular, people might use that as a rough template for their own characters. I know examples can generally do that but if I go more specific with popular characters it might make some people go more towards those features in their own characters. I try to give generic examples where I can.

1.  Colour coded/highlighted subheadings are still simple designs, they're just easier to comb through than walls of grey text.
  2.  You've already given rough guides/templates in this guide of how certain alignments would act or what they'd belong to. People are going to take inspiration from third party sources when creating characters anyway.

Attela    9

Nice guide, might help some newbies out there trying to be evil. :)

On a side note one of the most important things for me personally is, that evil people will pretty much never call themselves evil. Actions are nearly always justified...at least in the own understanding of that person.

I just have to cringe, when meeting so called "evil guys", "sociopaths", "crazies".... the list goes on forever. Like for real if you say you are a sociopath, then you are for sure not one.

Thanks! I hope it will help in that regard as well.

And that's how I feel myself. If you actually are evil, and I mean really evil, you don't think of yourself as the bad guy. YOU are the good guy and everyone that stands against you is a bad guy. That's what being truly evil is.

1.  Colour coded/highlighted subheadings are still simple designs, they're just easier to comb through than walls of grey text.
  2.  You've already given rough guides/templates in this guide of how certain alignments would act or what they'd belong to. People are going to take inspiration from third party sources when creating characters anyway.

1. Yeah, I will definately try to some small upgrades at least. Maybe making the text both bold and underlined could also work?

2. On the the topic of popular characters, I know that people will always use popular characters from fiction or the real world for guidance in creating their own characters. I just personally don't like that idea and want to stay away from it. And as I said, I know that examples in guides will generally make people use those examples in creating their characters. But I just want to try and stay generic. Guess I just want to kind of fight against the system and try to make people to create unique backgrounds if possible.

Still, I'll think about it and try to find some good examples. That will help the people who want more specific examples when creating their own characters and people who want to stay away from that kind of character creation won't use them anyway so it shouldn't matter in that regard.

Thank you for the constructive criticism and proving your points well!

isocade    90

Another thing to add is the possibility of a disorder causing someone to perform or act evil without meaning it. The unintentional villain. Someone whose judgment and interpretation of the world is skewered not by their own choice, but either through ignorance (Could possibly be ego) or through a mental or emotional disorder, like for example Alexithymia or forms of schizophrenia. I played many characters who have these sort of things because I like to experiment around with how something out of their control, constantly affecting their life, will change the way I speak and interact with people.

I highly recommend adding it as it'd add more depth to the characters and make them, possibly, justified villains. Think of it like a rating chart. An A-Rank villain is someone who's motives, intents, methods of application, and overall justification could be considered superior to those who are opposing it, like for example Wallace Breen in the game Half-Life 2. The reason he is considered a villain is because he is the human representative for Earth against an invading alien race, acting as the human race leader or "oppressor" to those who are living in a state of disarray and poverty, but in reality he is the reason Earth and humanity still exists because he organized the surrender of the human race, in order to prevent them from being completely exterminated. Meanwhile a C-Rank villain is someone who although may not be agreeable with his actions, he became a villain because of things outside of his control. A good example of this would be Two-Face from the DC Comics Batman universe. Rough childhood with a focus on chance impacting a lot of his abuse and punishments, suffered with personality disorders as a result, straightened himself out but later became horribly injured and lost his sense of reason because of it. Finally a F-Rank villain is someone who is evil or a villain just for the sake of being evil, or a villain. A good example of this is pretty much any inherently-hostile group you can find here on the website, however an out-of-DayZRP example could be someone like Griffith from the Berserk series or "Not Important" from the game Hatred.

Attela    9

Another thing to add is the possibility of a disorder causing someone to perform or act evil without meaning it. The unintentional villain. Someone whose judgment and interpretation of the world is skewered not by their own choice, but either through ignorance (Could possibly be ego) or through a mental or emotional disorder, like for example Alexithymia or forms of schizophrenia. I played many characters who have these sort of things because I like to experiment around with how something out of their control, constantly affecting their life, will change the way I speak and interact with people.

I highly recommend adding it as it'd add more depth to the characters and make them, possibly, justified villains. Think of it like a rating chart. An A-Rank villain is someone who's motives, intents, methods of application, and overall justification could be considered superior to those who are opposing it, like for example Wallace Breen in the game Half-Life 2. The reason he is considered a villain is because he is the human representative for Earth against an invading alien race, acting as the human race leader or "oppressor" to those who are living in a state of disarray and poverty, but in reality he is the reason Earth and humanity still exists because he organized the surrender of the human race, in order to prevent them from being completely exterminated. Meanwhile a C-Rank villain is someone who although may not be agreeable with his actions, he became a villain because of things outside of his control. A good example of this would be Two-Face from the DC Comics Batman universe. Rough childhood with a focus on chance impacting a lot of his abuse and punishments, suffered with personality disorders as a result, straightened himself out but later became horribly injured and lost his sense of reason because of it. Finally a F-Rank villain is someone who is evil or a villain just for the sake of being evil, or a villain. A good example of this is pretty much any inherently-hostile group you can find here on the website, however an out-of-DayZRP example could be someone like Griffith from the Berserk series or "Not Important" from the game Hatred.

Yeah, some kind of mental illness can definately cause you to be evil or considered to be evil by others. They are however a sort of grey area as even if you have something like schizophrenia, it doesn't mean that you gain evil traits for yourself. They can vary greatly in severity and as is with most mental disorders, have different symptoms and causes in people which are controversial. Still, any kind of mental illness is a valid personality trait to have in any character. I believe mental illnesses are explained in other character creation guides as they don't just fall under evil characters.

It is true that especially lawful evil characters can sometimes be seen as people who still protect a country or people under their rule. Lawful evil characters are tyrants who believe in a strict system, but others do not feel the same and get punished for it and as a result, view the man in charge as an evil bastard. As you described Breen, he is a kind of unsung hero. He saved the Earth by negotiating a deal with the alien race that was attacking them. It was necessary if the human race is to survive. However, people do not want this kind of life under what could be considered, quite honestly, slavery. Someone like Breen does not see this and believes he helped people the best possible way he could. He wants to return order in the world where someone like Gordon Freeman is trying destroy what he has worked hard to achieve.

The C-Rank villain by your description can be true in many cases. But as is with all characters that fall under a certain alignment, variation exists. I consider neutral evil characters to be a kind of be a pure form of evil. They do not want to follow rules or laws that are in the way of their actions. They commit heinous acts for the sake of their own advancement. They honestly do not have regards for much, but they are not crazy. They might want to hold their evil ideals up to the skies and spread their influence around the world. They don't just go killing people for shits and giggles. Chaotic evil characters usually do this because it's in their nature to cause conflict in the world. They want chaos and they want it to be everywhere. They are completely free from restrictions and can basically do whatever the hell they want. This is kind of why I don't like any chaotic alignments in RPGs as they can be described as a "I don't care" kind of alignment. You justify your actions because your character just doesn't care about anything. This is especially true for chaotic neutral and chaotic evil characters.

Hey this is pretty good! Nice work mang.

Attela    9

Hey this is pretty good! Nice work mang.

Thanks for the compliments!

good guide well written +1

Thank you, hoping to improve my skills further in writing guides. :)

Attela    9

Nice guide mate, with myself thinking of making an evil character this really helps :D

Thanks bro, hopefully you'll be able to create a really interesting character that you enjoy playing! :D

New here, interesting how much work people actually put into evolving a character, good or evil

Yeah, when you get into roleplaying you'll start appreciating well made characters. Personally I love creating characters and writing backgrounds for them. When you come up with great ideas for characters and you really love playing them, it can be a great feeling. The people whom you meet can get the same feeling when they are roleplaying with your characters as well.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this